• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ronda Rousey on loss - "It might be 3 to 6 months before I can eat an apple"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is disgusting. I'm pretty callous in general but still can't believe some of these replies. I don't care what kind of person she is, that kind of injury is enough to make me shudder, no matter who suffers it.

It's not like Ronda Rousey was unaware of the injuries that can occure when taking up MMA; injuries like these are common in the sport, luckily at least she'll still be able to fight as it's a sport that can be carrer-ending in the 15min they spend in the ring

seriously what do you think when you hear the words; Mixed Martial Arts in an organization called Ultimate Fighting Championship? they just hug it out?

Leunam

He wasn't standing up for her.

He was saying it's sad how shitty people are.

This isn't out of the ordinary in sports. People like seeing winners dethroned. That is literally what's happening. Or maybe they've never been in a single sports thread.

Lots of people are popping in this thread, and previous threads, because they take the sight of Ronda being knocked out and people celebrating her loss as a slight against women.

rrcrowj6pua.gif

Damn, what happened to her chin???

Cut on impact or was that a blood mark from that hammer fist coming down more than once?

RK9039

Damn, what happened to her chin???

Cut on impact or was that a blood mark from that hammer fist coming down more than once?

Cut on impact, it wasn't there before that strike or the head kick. At least, that's what I think and I saw it a few times.

I really, really do not understand this at all, GAF.
Tell me again, since when is adult males or females pouncing each other into near-death injured beings is cool? I know, since the stone age, but seriously?

The way that gif went around with her getting knocked out - honestly, looked like a grave injury could have easily had happened -, with such ferocity as if she deserved to be nearly killed. What the fuck. I fail to see any kind of fun or joy or whatever in it.

If anything, this interview (parts of it, anyway) should shed some light into the human side of a loss. And yet, the same kind of hearthless posts repeat once again. Why?
I think one day society will look back on fist-fighting sports with disdain and incredulity. That day is not today.

This thread is disgusting. I'm pretty callous in general but still can't believe some of these replies. I don't care what kind of person she is, that kind of injury is enough to make me shudder, no matter who suffers it.
I have a hard time watching compilation videos of hard football hits (though I don't have a problem with seeing them in the context of a complete game), because it just looks like wall-to-wall brain injuries. But with boxing/MMA, well, beating someone senseless is the point of the sport. And when it happens to the person who talked a lot of pre-fight smack and refused to even pretend to be a good sport? Sorry, not sorry.

EmiPrime

This isn't out of the ordinary in sports. People like seeing winners dethroned. That is literally what's happening. Or maybe they've never been in a single sports thread.

Lots of people are popping in this thread, and previous threads, because they take the sight of Ronda being knocked out as a slight against women.

Wrong, it has everything to do with her believing that actors murdered nearly 30 children and teachers on behalf of the US government and that 9/11 was an inside job. If that wasn't enough add on her DV and transphobia and you have a toxic person who nobody should be cheering for.

LosDaddie

Banned
Do we even see Ronda fight in 2016?

I think maybe a rematch in Q4 2016 is likely. I don't know if Dana White would be able to say no

Lots of people are popping in this thread, and previous threads, because they take the sight of Ronda being knocked out and people celebrating her loss as a slight against women.

Par for the course for GAF. There were plenty of GAFers who rushed to condemn the Niki Minaj wax statue, calling it racist & sexist, and they all disappeared once it was revealed that not only did Niki herself approve of the statue but LOVED it as well. Even said such on social media.

Cut on impact, it wasn't there before that strike or the head kick. At least, that's what I think and I saw it a few times.

Wow, that's extreme! Landed so well to.

You can see her face get redder with each hit :/
Didn't know she got destroyed so completely.

Leunam

Wrong, it has everything to do with her believing that actors murdered nearly 30 children and teachers on behalf of the US government and that 9/11 was an inside job. If that wasn't enough add on her DV and transphobia and you have a toxic person who nobody should be cheering for.

Uh, not necessarily. Even without her tin foil hat nonsense, plenty of people would want to see her lose because of her attitude and because of how she had been built up as invincible, in and out of her weak division. Ronda losing was also a way to embarrass the Joe Rogans of the world who bought into their own hype.

tariniel

Even when it's a person that does this for a living, loves what they do, and knows that this is entirely possible when they get into the ring?

I'm sure Ronda really appreciates you standing up for her.

It's not like Ronda Rousey was unaware of the injuries that can occure when taking up MMA; injuries like these are common in the sport, luckily at least she'll still be able to fight as it's a sport that can be carrer-ending in the 15min they spend in the ring

seriously what do you think when you hear the words; Mixed Martial Arts in an organization called Ultimate Fighting Championship? they just hug it out?

So I can't feel empathy, because she knew something like this could happen? What the hell kind of reasoning is that? Should I not feel empathy for the football player whose leg snaps? Or maybe a cop that sustains a gunshot wound?

I don't give a single shit what kind of person she is. If she's bad at MMA I'm glad she lost. But holy shit there's a difference in feeling vindicated because someone you don't like lost, and being glad that her teeth got fucked up or feeling like she deserved such an injury.

Her jaw is what's wrong with apples I guess.
How hard does one have to hit you fuck up teeth in a mouth guard got damn.
Ehhh, moutpieces have never been fullproof. I broke a guy's front tooth in the semi finals of the quebec cup during my amateur boxing years and another's in sparring. Same as bulletproof vest, safety glasses etc, its never 100%. Fighters who breath through a open mouth are more at risk though and Ronda was definitely that type.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This could only get better if Holly Holm went on to knock out Floyd somehow. The most fantastic icing on the cake.

Floyd would kill her. And Rousey, too, but that goes without saying.

Leunam

So I can't feel empathy, because she knew something like this could happen? What the hell kind of reasoning is that? Should I not feel empathy for the football player whose leg snaps? Or maybe a cop that sustains a gunshot wound?

I don't give a single shit what kind of person she is. If she's bad at MMA I'm glad she lost. But holy shit there's a difference in feeling vindicated because someone you don't like lost, and being glad that her teeth got fucked up or feeling like she deserved such an injury.

She's had an incredible career so far, even going beyond UFC. Loss or not, she'll live comfortably for the rest of her life. This isn't a career or life ending injury (wtf at the cop comparison). This isn't Paul Williams we're talking about here.

Ehhh, moutpieces have never been fullproof. I broke a guy's front tooth in the semi finals of the quebec cup during my amateur boxing years and another's in sparring. Same as bulletproof vest, safety glasses etc, its never 100%. Fighters who breath through a open mouth are more at risk though and Ronda was definitely that type.

Ice burn.

where did I say can't feel sympathy/empathy when it comes to injuries? but no one in this thread is happy at the fact she got injured; some even want her to be healthy to see a rematch in the near future. they're happy that she got lost(for whatever reason they have) please quote anybody happy that her jaw is broke and the long recovery she might have to endure to get into fighting shape.

Balphon

I suppose she set herself up for it, but I continue to find the general lack of even a little bit of empathy for Rousey both remarkable and a little depressing.

[/b]

Ice burn.
? It wasn't meant as a diss. She just doesnt have good breathing technique, or she might have had her jaw broken already which definitely doesnt help. What I want to know is where exactly does it say that one of her tooth got broken though?

Edit: ok nvm i just saw the part in the article that says her teeth are still unstable.

I suppose she set herself up for it, but I continue to find the general lack of even a little bit of empathy for Rousey both remarkable and a little depressing.

Yeah we should all pour our hearts out for Ronda Rousey, a grown-ass adult who can make her own decisions and decided to punch and be punched professionally, making millions in the process, all while being cocky and obnoxious. No actually it seems like an appropriate "lack of empathy" under the circumstances. Maybe some people in this thread are trying to hard to seem virtuous and sensitive or something.

Dang, was just starting to like her, starting to get more into boxing and mma. Hope she can make some kind of comeback, fighting for a living is a tough career.

Yeah we should all pour our hearts out for Ronda Rousey, a grown-ass adult who can make her own decisions and decided to punch and be punched professionally, making millions in the process, all while being cocky and obnoxious. No actually it seems like an appropriate "lack of empathy" under the circumstances. Maybe some people in this thread are trying to hard to seem virtuous and sensitive or something.

Just seems like kicking someone when they're down to me...

Balphon

Maybe empathy is the wrong word, and I'm really not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I just don't get what she in particular did to cause people to be so damn merciless.

Probably just the nature of the beast when it comes to sports I guess. Higher the profile, bigger the downfall.

? It wasn't meant as a diss. She just doesnt have good breathing technique, or she might have had her jaw broken already which definitely doesnt help. What I want to know is where exactly does it say that one of her tooth got broken though?

Edit: ok nvm i just saw the part in the article that says her teeth are still unstable.

if she had proper training all she would have had was a knockdown on her record, not a permanent disability.

all this falls on her trainer.

Chris R

Whats with the crow reference? I don't get it

Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.

from wikipedia

Leunam

Maybe empathy is the wrong word, and I'm really not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I just don't get what she in particular did to cause people to be so damn merciless.

Probably just the nature of the beast when it comes to sports I guess. Higher the profile, bigger the downfall.

This is nothing compared to what a Mayweather loss would look like. If Mayweather lost, his opponent would be lifted to super star status overnight. Even if it's someone as unhype as Andre Berto.

Dang, was just starting to like her, starting to get more into boxing and mma. Hope she can make some kind of comeback, fighting for a living is a tough career.

Just seems like kicking someone when they're down to me...

Ronda took home something like $10 million for being totally unprepared and getting knocked the fuck out. She got a tremendous payout for failing at the one thing she's good at. She's not down.

So was her jaw actually broken? Dana was shutting down all suggestions that her jaw was broken after the fight. He claimed that her only injury was a split lip. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

MjFrancis

Odds are they already did the photo shoot and had a story ready to talk about her victory over Holly Holm. Her loss is still a big deal, so you rewrite the story and run the same cover anyways.

It's not just a sports thing. In society, when someone who talks a lot of shut and shows no respect winds up getting owned they get humiliated.she brought this on herself.when more respectful champs lose there isn't nearly this much backlash.when you play the heel to promote yourself this is what you leave yourself open to.live by the sword,die by it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom