• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth hacked, Usernames, Passwords, Emails potentially stolen

Mahonay

Banned
Suge Knight is the rap game Jeff Gerstmann
hqdefault.jpg

man, seeing the string of giant bomb gifs in this thread is fucking embarrassing
i feel bad jeff & co have to deal with a segment of their community being such shit heads, and you guys all posting that shit in here, seemingly endorsing this, aren't much better
Would you prefer people say "wow that sucks" over and over again. Websites get hacked all of the time. People are just finding some humour out of the timeliness of it.

GB fans get irrationally angry at a lot of shit. I wouldn't put them above doing anything more than I'd put other sites above doing shady things on the regular. Internet's a big place with lots of shitty people. GB crew isn't indicative of their fans, everyone has some crazies following them after a fashion.
I'd put me above doing it.

mattp

People are mostly kidding. It sucks for the users of their site, most know that. They are joking.

You are one of the saltiest posters I've seen on GAF.

sure, it's joking. but if i were jeff, and i poked around the internet and saw this happen and then a string of gifs of myself laughing, i would be pretty annoyed

Would you prefer people say "wow that sucks" over and over again. Websites get hacked all of the time. People are just finding some humour out of the timeliness of it.

i mean, it doesnt have to be one or the other
i just think the constant jeff gifs is kind of shitty. i wouldn't appreciate that, at all, if i were him. im sure he wants NOTHING to do with this

Myggen

welp I have an account there, but keep having fun guys with your Jeff gifs

Yeah, that's what I don't get. If this happened at a site I had an account at I would be pissed if people were just making fun of the situation. I get that people are just making fun of how close this happened to the whole Fallout 4 fiasco, but still, it's a bad look.

well deserved after their childish comments about jeff's review

This post is embarrassing.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. If this happened at a site I had an account at I would be pissed if people were just making fun of the situation. I get that people are just making fun of how close this happened to the whole Fallout 4 fiasco, but still, it's a bad look.

If you make fun of our lord and savior Jeff, you deserve anything that comes to you. It's said in verse 137 of the NeoGAF bible.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. If this happened at a site I had an account at I would be pissed if people were just making fun of the situation.

Posting gifs isn't making the situation any worse. This wasn't some kind of tragedy like what do you want? People to offer condolences?

Cleve

If there's anything that I've learned about companies admitting to security breaches, it's that this probably happened a week or two before they acknowledged it publicly.

The timing is funny, but I wouldn't speculate about it being related to the GB stuff.

Yep. Keep the funny Jeff gifs rolling, they aren't hurting anyone, but the two events are not likely to be related at all.

Giant Bomb fans takes things to heart. Remember when people mention about their lack of enthusiasm at E3 and their fans went full defense mode on them.

"Mention" is an interesting way of saying "made an entire thread around shitting on them for not being as excited as the GT people."

About what?
I'm not a RT fan so...

I've seen you post consistently about this RT scandal, and literally every single one has been complaining about either Jeff for giving a response on Tumblr, or those horrible mean GB fans picking on RT, without adding a single salient point. And then in this thread, literally one person has said "good they deserve it" (who after his Etsy thread yesterday I have to assume is a complete troll) and you're in here again complaining about how awful GB fans are. If you have something substantial to post go ahead, otherwise you're approaching Seanspeed levels of concern trolling.

Myggen

Posting gifs isn't making the situation any worse. This wasn't some kind of tragedy like what do you want? People to offer condolences?

I'm just saying that it's poor form to make fun of something that could potentially be devastating to some users. That's all I'm saying. As I said I get that people aren't laughing at people potentially getting their shit stolen, but it looks like they are and it's a shitty situation for users either way.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for the users, but I think it is kinda some karmic backlash
In a perfect world, only the podcast crew would have been affected

In a perfect world people would act like adults and get over this shit instead of acting like morons because somebody they don't know said something bad about somebody they like (but don't know either).

KarmaCow

I'm just saying that it's poor form to make fun of something that could potentially be devastating to some users. That's all I'm saying. As I said I get that people aren't laughing at people potentially getting their shit stolen, but it looks like they are and it's a shitty situation for users either way.

It's making fun of the absurdity of Jeff being this mastermind orchestrating this, not people having their info taken.

Myggen

Dont think anyone is making fun of the users, but the somewhat "perfect" timing of it.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that it's a shitty situation for those users. Anyways, I'll stop posting about it.

It's insane if this means that RT actually didn't encrypt the passwords. It's a huge website and it's 2015. At least credit card information didn't get out there.

GavinGT

Banned
Dang, I don't follow either of these sites...

So who is this guy, and why do people worship him? A reviewer? o_o

This is why it's a problem that you're all sort of insinuating that this was an act of retaliation over the Jeff thing. Some people don't know that you're all just being goofy.

Jeff is a guy who many of us have been following for nearly 20 years because he's funny and insightful and incredibly knowledgeable about games. He's also demonstrably far above the shit Rooster Teeth accused him of.

sure, it's joking. but if i were jeff, and i poked around the internet and saw this happen and then a string of gifs of myself laughing, i would be pretty annoyed

i mean, it doesnt have to be one or the other
i just think the constant jeff gifs is kind of shitty. i wouldn't appreciate that, at all, if i were him. im sure he wants NOTHING to do with this

I'd say you're right. I wouldn't want people making gif's in my name but, it's just in slight fun. These things happen all the time on a mostly daily basis. I'm sure most here don't want their e-buds to have to go through the annoyance of having to change information that comes with instances like this, it's harmless fun. Title let's those affected become informed so they can make the appropriate changes.

About what?
I'm not a RT fan so...
I've almost blocked you a few times as some of the things and assumptions you've said in the past have really annoyed me. You're "GB fans" is amongst those comments. I've decided against it as I should be reading all opinions and making my considerations, but Fotheringay say's it better:

I've seen you post consistently about this RT scandal, and literally every single one has been complaining about either Jeff for giving a response on Tumblr, or those horrible mean GB fans picking on RT, without adding a single salient point. And then in this thread, literally one person has said "good they deserve it" (who after his Etsy thread yesterday I have to assume is a complete troll) and you're in here again complaining about how awful GB fans are. If you have something substantial to post go ahead, otherwise you're approaching Seanspeed levels of concern trolling.

FStop7

Banned
If there's any tragedy to be mourned here it would be that the hyper-literal culture of the Internet has murdered nuance for the 10,000th time.

Didn't say anything about GB fans being "horrible mean" (that I can recall) just that they made a complete overreaction to people saying silly stuff about Jeff. I thought it was a non issue. Don't know anything about a "etsy thread" so I can't really comment on that but posting gifs of Jeff aren't a respectable thing to do when people's information can be stolen. imo
Also you can ignore me

Who's seanspeed?

mcw

No, probably not. Check out his Etsy thread from yesterday, as someone else said that just makes me assume he's a troll.

Yes, my mistake... Apologies; I posted before reading the whole thread. Won't make that mistake again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
At least there's no credit card info associated with the breach. Hopefully the message of the breach gets out to all the members on that site in short order. God help those people that only use a couple different passwords.

While I may not have agreed with what RT has said, it's still unacceptable for this to happen especially if the ones that did it was for vengeance.

I've almost blocked you a few times as some of the things and assumptions you've said in the past have really annoyed me. You're "GB fans" is amongst those comments. I've decided against it as I should be reading all opinions and making my considerations, but Fotheringay say's it better:
You should probably block me, I can guarantee that I will continue to be "annoying"
I guess.

kiguel182

Jeff has been playing Hacknet and now this? Coincidente?

All kidding aside it sucks for everyone involved and it shouldn't have happened

Zaph

While I may not have agreed with what RT has said, it's still unacceptable for this to happen especially if the ones that did it was for vengeance.

The discovery and announcement mean the timing is virtually impossible.

People just having some fun because this is like the 800th gaming hack so what are you gonna do

Top Bottom