• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth hacked, Usernames, Passwords, Emails potentially stolen

Myggen

That'd be crazy if it was because of those comments. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took it too far at all.

It would be a crazy fast turnaround for someone to hack the site after that drama happens and them announcing this now. As Zaph said, the timing makes it incredibly unlikely that it even happened in that timeframe. Like with most of these things it's more likely that this happened at least a couple of weeks ago.

Myggen

No? How is attacking their readerbase justified after dumb comments their editorial staff made? And that's it was... dumb comments.

Like I've said a couple of times, that guy is most likely a troll if we go by his Etsy thread yesterday. Drive by trolling to rile some people up.

The first page of gifs are
giphy.gif

Jeff Gerstmann hired some hackers. Okay, maybe not.
/dead

On a serious note, sorry for anyone who has an account there.

Like I've said a couple of times, that guy is most likely a troll if we go by his Etsy thread yesterday. Drive by trolling to rile some people up.

I'm just saying rooster teeth (as a brand) deserves the bad press this will conjure up.
It's a personal opinion I'm not trying to make an argument.

Same thing with the other thread, I'm just voicing an opinion and getting overanalyzed in the process.

My other thread is now closed:
Screen_Shot_2015_11_20_at_3_08_51_PM.png

oti

Banned
What exactly is Rooster Teeth and why would you want to have a RT account? I thought they made YT videos?

It would be a crazy fast turnaround for someone to hack the site after that drama happens and them announcing this now. As Zaph said, the timing makes it incredibly unlikely that it even happened in that timeframe. Like with most of these things it's more likely that this happened at least a couple of weeks ago.
Nothing can stop..
Hfzf14T.gif

The Flash

Banned
I'm just saying rooster teeth (as a brand) deserves the bad press this will conjure up.

Same thing with the other thread, I'm just voicing an opinion and getting overanalyzed in the process.

Sharing pm's now? Tsk tsk.

Demoskinos

You really think it's connected?

But yeah, I wouldn't laugh at something like this if it's really possible to access people's passwords. That's fucked for users.

I dunno. I mean we only know as much as we know but seems like a huge coincidence for this to pop off just after that RT stuff blew up yesterday.

FiraB

Banned
Honestly sql injection is stupidly simple thing to do and guard against that regardless of the jeff situation they deserve this for not having locked this shit down ages ago, you don't run a web business and not secure your website.

Security breech? More like professional incompetence.

Myggen

I dunno. I mean we only know as much as we know but seems like a huge coincidence for this to pop off just after that RT stuff blew up yesterday.

I don't think I've ever heard of a site like that getting hacked and the site announcing it the next day. This is a process that usually takes several days, more often than not a couple of weeks. I would be surprised if the hack happened this week.

Fuchsdh

Where are we getting that the passwords were stored in plain text? I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but reading their notice if the hackers managed to pull even the encrypted info it would probably only be a matter of time before they could access it, so best to assume the worst.
I don't think I've ever heard of a site like that getting hacked and the site announcing it the next day. This is a process that usually takes several days, more often than not a couple of weeks. I would be surprised if the hack happened this week.

Usually they're just trying to determine the scope of the hack, and it looks like the RT folks already know.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What exactly is Rooster Teeth and why would you want to have a RT account? I thought they made YT videos?

Very popular company that make gaming related videos that mostly end up on YouTube but joining their site gets you content earlier or things that don't make it to YouTube.

level1

It's just funny how your personal opinions go from "Fuck piracy! Law and Order! Yeah!" to "LOL those assholes deserved to get hacked" so quickly

Myggen

From Reddit:

The last time this happened (Late September/Early October 2013) I was told by /u/grufftech[1] that only encrypted passwords were accessed and they were heavily salted

Edit: Source: https://twitter.com/grufftech/status/385173172791697408[2]

Granted, this is from the breach in 2013, but I imagine today's breach is the same.

So that's at least better than plaintext.

I think I might've created an account on that site a few years ago. Can't remember anything about it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

It can take a while to figure out that you were even breached in the first place let alone figure out what exactly was and wasn't accessed when it happened.

Calcaneus

This sucks for everyone affected. The scary thing about hacks like this is that we all probably have a bunch of sites we registered to years ago and don't even remember (at least I know I have). And these things happen so frequently that its a question of when not if it will happen to you.

I can't even remember what my password for RT site was, considering I joined in 2007 when I was 11 and I never used the site.

Damn, guess I should change most of my passwords out of precaution.

D i Z

I didn't know that RT even had accounts. As jacked up as this is ( and it is f'ed up for users) I have to admit, I did chuckle.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The timing is too coincidental and this almost has to be because of the Fallout 4 Fiasco.I did have an account there but I haven't log in for 7 years on an old E-mail account so I almost don't care that it's out there now.

system11

oh I don't mean you (and other account holders) deserve it, just saying Rooster Teeth deserves this.

Rooster Teeth aren't the people who just lost their personal information. Just with the username and email combination people can now go and dictionary attack other sites.

GavinGT

Banned
The timing is too coincidental and this almost has to be because of the Fallout 4 Fiasco.I did have an account there but I haven't log in for 7 years on an old E-mail account so I almost don't care that it's out there now.

This is how all manner of conspiracy theories get justified. This wasn't even as big of an event as some seem to think. It was a 45-second discussion on a podcast. GAF had a huge thread about it because that's how GAF does.

No, not really.
I guess not but you can't tell with Neogaf posters, lol.
There's plenty of overlap between people who post on this forum and people willing to believe ridiculous conspiracy theories about games. So probably.
Exactly.

That image. I just... what? Why would you even PM that... But hey fits the guy who wants to punish a company after they make childish comments.

You three should make a jazz trio.

Top Bottom