• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: AVATAR (82%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow she actually looks really great in Na'vi form. Could make an interesting side-character.

Speaking of which, I always loved the red-painted clan leader of the Eastern Sea. MAK-TUKO! :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
btw, Sculli, you didn't mention the Avatar attack deleted scene. What did you think?

I didn't really care for the actual Avatars attacking, but the scenes with the troops on the ground getting massacred by the animals was GREAT, I cant believe that didn't make in.

It still bothers me that it takes 6 YEARS to go from Pandora and Earth. How in the hell does that work out logistically? The entire colony could be wiped out, and the RDA wouldn't know until seven years later and couldn't do anything about it for another six.

Dead said:
btw, Sculli, you didn't mention the Avatar attack deleted scene. What did you think?

I didn't really care for the actual Avatars attacking, but the scenes with the troops on the ground getting massacred by the animals was GREAT, I cant believe that didn't make in.

Yeah I was actually going to mention that but couldn't remember if the troops being attacked was part of that deleted scene. Everything except the actual avatars attacking was great. Somehow I don't believe an entire room full of marines would so easily surrender against a few gun-wielding scientists. I really liked seeing the marines being evacuated out of the jungle - signalling that the fight was clearly over, great stuff.

TacticalFox88 said:
It still bothers me that it takes 6 YEARS to go from Pandora and Earth. How in the hell does that work out logistically? The entire colony could be wiped out, and the RDA wouldn't know until seven years later and couldn't do anything about it for another six.

They might have an ansible. :D

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
They might have an ansible. :D
That reminds me of something I thought of the other day.

Would have been awesome if the Blu-Ray track had like a Science pop-up trvia track or something, showcasing either the research that went into the movie, or the scientific concepts in the movies backstory/canon

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm still hoping that humans don't even show up in the 2nd, least not as an antagonist.

It wouldn't make sense for them to anyways. The movie hints that there's public sympathy for the Navi, and wouldn't it make a lot more sense for them to come back when their operation was destroyed anyways. Might as well start from scratch somewhere else.

DrForester said:
I'm still hoping that humans don't even show up in the 2nd, least not as an antagonist.

It wouldn't make sense for them to anyways. The movie hints that there's public sympathy for the Navi, and wouldn't it make a lot more sense for them to come back when their operation was destroyed anyways. Might as well start from scratch somewhere else.

Pretty sure a long time ago Cameron already said humans would be in the sequel. In what capacity, who knows. I want them if only to continue my fetish for future human tech.

Dead

well not really...yet
forgot to comment on this:

Scullibundo said:
The Dreamhunt was easily the biggest loss. I never could have hoped it to be as good as it was. Jesus I want to see it finished. That would have been an absolutely seminal cinematic scene - simply amazing. And yes, it would have strengthened the notion of Jake becoming Toruk Makto all the more. Also the stuff in the beginning where he reveals what he's doing to Grace. That is the moment the film was missing - where you see Jake come to the wall and you see the change.
My favorite part of that scene is that even unfinished, it looks bloody amazing. The scenes of Jake tripping balls look like a cross between the Fountain and the Matrix.

And despite that, I still can't imagine what the scene would have looked like finished, even after having seen the template.

I think the scene would have worked bloody well in the movie as not only is it a complete change of pace, but its totally something you would not have expected when seeing the movie.

Dead said:
forgot to comment on this:

My favorite part of that scene is that even unfinished, it looks bloody amazing. The scenes of Jake tripping balls look like a cross between the Fountain and the Matrix.

And despite that, I still can't imagine what the scene would have looked like finished, even after having seen the template.

I think the scene would have worked bloody well in the movie as not only is it a complete change of pace, but its totally something you would not have expected when seeing the movie.

It actually reminded me of the Matriculated short from The Animatrix. <8

hirokazu

Sculli, do you have any idea if the Australian 3 disc Blu-ray is region-free (or at least supports Region A)? I have a Region A PS3 and there seems to be no good information on this. :/

Apparently, the US version is region locked, so I'm kinda worried.

Solo

Dead said:
Sun from LOST as Neytiri in the original ILM prototype:

9JQhQ.png

She totally sucks as Neytiri in the clip, but then again Zoe had a shit load of time to prepare

I'm still miffed by this - why is she in this test footage, but not in the movie in any capacity?

hirokazu said:
Sculli, do you have any idea if the Australian 3 disc Blu-ray is region-free (or at least supports Region A)? I have a Region A PS3 and there seems to be no good information on this. :/

Apparently, the US version is region locked, so I'm kinda worried.

I'd say that if the US version is region locked, its almost guaranteed that the rest are region locked as well.

As for why Sun isn't in Avatar, Solo; who knows. As much as I love her, her audition was really terrible.

Watched the making of. I really don't know how he's going to do two sequels back to back in such a short period of time (relatively speaking) and still have the same kind of efforts put into each film as the first.

JB1981

Solo said:
I'm still miffed by this - why is she in this test footage, but not in the movie in any capacity?
The test footage was done in like 2005 or something. No one was cast for the movie. It was just done as a demo reel to see if the tech actually worked.

Solo

JB1981 said:
The test footage was done in like 2005 or something. No one was cast for the movie. It was just done as a demo reel to see if the tech actually worked.

My point is that YJK was pretty well known from LOST by the time Avatar was being cast, so Im quite surprised that she wasn't used in the movie. Not as Neytiri, mind you, but in some kind of capacity.

raphier

Banned
Solo said:
My point is that YJK was pretty well known from LOST by the time Avatar was being cast, so Im quite surprised that she wasn't used in the movie. Not as Neytiri, mind you, but in some kind of capacity.
Maybe she didn't qualify the role or was exclusively doing something else at the time. Who knows.

Scullibundo said:
Which brings me to the next scene that I can't believe they cut in favour of its alternate scene: Wainfleet's death at the hands of a raging Neytiri. We get to not only see Wainfleet die a satisfying and non-comic/non-cringeworthy death like the theatrical cuts', but we get to see Neytiri act completely savage and war cry after taking his ass apart with the Thanator.

Yes. This would have been great, not least for how it amps up how badass Quaritch is when he makes relatively short work of the Thanator in the subsequent fight.

I also noticed, somewhere in the supplemental footage, a shot of Trudy's Samson, during the big battle sequence, shooting up a Scorpion from behind. I suppose this was cut so that her entry into the fray has more impact when she comes to Jake's rescue but I would have liked to have seen it included.

JB1981

Yes, the entire Dreamhunter sequence would have been a GREAT addition. From Grace warning Jake about how it could kill him, to her explaining that he could NEVER be one of the Na'vi ....Jake's revelation to her and Norm that he was sent by Quaritch as a mole but is "not that perosn anymore" ...and then the emotional toll the entire experience has taken on him .. you get a palpable sense of desperation on his part .. as if he NEEDS to link up ... i wish they would have played this aspect of the movie up a bit more ... the psionic link in the movie seems to have no human consequences at all. The scriptment goes into much greater detail about how some people went crazy from it etc. And then the Dreamhunter sequence itself would have been full of such hallucinatory imagery that it would have been such a wild ride. The way the dream sequence ends it would have really deepened the concept of him becoming the Turk Maktoh .. or however you spell that LOL. A huge missed opportunity, I thought.

@DonMigs - he crushes him with an AMP suit.

Dead

well not really...yet
Originally, I assumed the Earth opening was the most crucial part of the movie that was cut out, but after seeing it, I think its pretty much the Dreamhunt.

Yes. This would have been great, not least for how it amps up how badass Quaritch is when he makes relatively short work of the Thanator in the subsequent fight.
Yeah, thats an excellent point, it not only shows the Thanator as more "badass" but Quaritch as well, for killing it.

Yeah, most of the deleted scenes (and everything in the scriptment) would give the movie a much darker edge.

I wonder if it would have made as much money though if Pandora was as scary a place as it was in the scriptment.

Dead

well not really...yet
I doubt it would have made much difference, since the main point since even the scriptment was always that the further Jake goes into the Na'vi world, the more Pandora's beauty and essense is related to the audience. The movie made it pretty clear already that the place is dangerous if you're out there just fucking around.

The scriptment was never meant to be the actual movie obviously, but its more or less the same story, with the same themes and broad strokes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Scullibundo said:
What I also love about the hunt festival is that it mirrors Jake's scene on earth downing the shots.

Totally fits with Pandora and the Navi just being the result of a broken mind, traumatized by death and injury.

Dead

well not really...yet
Was I dreaming, or was Stephen Lang literally on fire during the making of the movie (you know, the scene in the cockpit in the final battle)? (from the making of documentary)

Dead said:
Was I dreaming, or was Stephen Lang literally on fire during the making of the movie (you know, the scene in the cockpit in the final battle)? (from the making of documentary)

Yeah I saw that too. Badass. It's like when they poured acid on Arnie's jacket in T1 to get the smouldering effect while he's riding on top of the hood of the car.

Dead said:
ughhhh, that was cringe worthy imo :lol

I love that Cameron had become a creative ball of pure energy. And that Landau was the butt of all the jokes. Man I get sick of Landau talking in interviews - should just be all Cameron. They should cut out the fat, so to speak.

Oh by the way. Just going through all the 'Art of Avatar' images on the disc makes me wish I had a high quality capture device so I could head to Kinkos and print some of those pieces out before framing them (like I did with some Ratatouille concept art a few years ago).

Somnia

TacticalFox88 said:
Does the RDA have control over humanity, or is their still some governments?

I believe there are still governments, but the RDA have a very very very strong influence due to them providing something no one else can.

Dead

well not really...yet
TacticalFox88 said:
Does the RDA have control over humanity, or is their still some governments?
RDAs reach of power exceeds many earth governments according to the Pandorapedia. Officially, they're not like, the Earth governing body or anything though

duckroll

The Extended Edition blu-ray finally arrived today. The packaging is really quite classy. I wasn't expecting the case to actually feel and look like it did. Can't wait to pop it in later. :D

Dead

well not really...yet
Looks like Hot Toys have finally gotten off their asses and started working on their Avatar line

GWP4g.jpg

Hot Toys are the guys behind those incredibly life-like TDK figures (as well as Iron Man, Predator, etc)

After seeing the extended version, I'm left a little baffled. Sure, some stuff they had in there could've stayed out like in the theatrical release, but one thing realllly felt like it belonged in the original to me - the sky hunting scene. The theatrical release has his line about being an aerial hunter (not long after learning to fly), but there was no real hunting from what I could tell. Having the actual hunting sequence lead into that made much more sense.

thesoapster said:
After seeing the extended version, I'm left a little baffled. Sure, some stuff they had in there could've stayed out like in the theatrical release, but one thing realllly felt like it belonged in the original to me - the sky hunting scene. The theatrical release has his line about being an aerial hunter (not long after learning to fly), but there was no real hunting from what I could tell. Having the actual hunting sequence lead into that made much more sense.

Naw the Dreamhunt is more important. In the theatrical cut we even have Jake telling Quaritch there's one more test, then it seemed as if the test was to see if he could let Neytiri paint him and the tribe gather around him without freaking out.

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
Naw the Dreamhunt is more important. In the theatrical cut we even have Jake telling Quaritch there's one more test, then it seemed as if the test was to see if he could let Neytiri paint him and the tribe gather around him without freaking out.
Grace crying after the "ceremony" makes a shit load more sense after watching the Dreamhunt deleted scene too. The whole sequence just adds so much more weight to the movie imo.

I mean really, JC should be flogged for not finishing and including that entire sequence, along with the Festival imo :lol

duckroll

Scullibundo said:

I got a slightly different impression from the theatrical. I think his exact words were that there is one more thing he needs to do. He didn't specify it was a test. So it sounded a lot to me that he was like a kid who didn't want to move out of state after graduating without getting to attend the school prom first. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Well, the theatrical has a different take, it was changed to "thing" just to make theatrical cut work. In the deleted scene, Jake is specific to Quaritch and tells him he has one final test to pass, the unithingamajob

edit: Duck, well, what nothing says Prom like tripping balls on acid, so the scene still fits your reading :lol

duckroll

Dead said:
Well, the theatrical has a different take, it was changed to "thing" just to make theatrical cut work. In the deleted scene, Jake is specific to Quaritch and tells him he has one final test to pass, the unithingamajob

Why are you spoiling it for me! I just got it in the mail! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom