• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: AVATAR (82%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fIFp0.jpg

:D :D Launch party at my house tomorrow! Hype hype hype

edit: which disc has the extended version in it?

GhaleonEB

Did you ever pick up the Making of Avatar book? I'm almost through reading it, and even though I thought I knew all of what was put into the project, it still blew my mind.

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
Thats my plan - start with Disc 1 (longest cut of the film), then onto Disc 2 (starting with the 90 min doc then going from there), and finishing with 3.
Sounds like a plan. The documentary covers quite a lot of the other extras on Disc Two. That first 'photoreal' Avatar demo with Sun from Lost playing Neytiri for example, you'd see three times if you played the whole second disc in one sitting.

Solo

Repeated content seems to come with the territory on uber collections, so Im used to it.

GhaleonEB said:
Did you ever pick up the Making of Avatar book? I'm almost through reading it, and even though I thought I knew all of what was put into the project, it still blew my mind.

I ordered it last week. Amazon's delivery estimate was today, but this is the rare time when they'll miss it. Hopeful tomorrow!

"You're a long way from Earth" was amazing. Should have been put back in for sure. Same with the Dreamhunt and the Norm and Norm/Trudy stuff (makes the "Norm's attitude has improved lately" line actually make sense.

I wished we would have gotten more animals attacking/killing humans, like the stingbat attack. Pandora seems just a bit too "soft" in the current cuts I think. Then again if you made Pandora more dangerous and dark it might not be so easy to sympathize with the Pandoran environment.

And watching Zoe Saldana getting her head covered in goop was kind of weird...I'm surprised that she was able to stay calm :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just came back from watching the bd version of Avatar...

Sweet mother of God, I really can't believe how good this looked. I really can't believe it. Also, the deleted scenes were RIDICULOUSLY good.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, the Extended cut is def. the best.

Ive come around to the scene where Jake talks about the floating mountains, simply due to Worthington's delivery of "...or something" :lol That line kinda says it all

StuBurns

Banned
I think for me it's come down to nothing additional really hurts the cut, and the scene about Neytiri's sister really helps it, so I think it's certainly the cut to see.

JB1981

The earth opening has a made-for-tv air about it. It's shit and belongs on the cutting room floor. Most of the deleted scenes should have been cut. The only scene that I felt would have buoyed the film, emotionally, is when Grace is telling Jake that he can never be one of the Na'vi. The desperation in Jake's face and Grace's understanding for why he wants to get back in there is pretty moving. It further reinforces Jake's desire to be free from his crippled, human self, which is something I thought the film could have emphasized much better.

Dead

well not really...yet
Someone pointed this out on blu-ray.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7Ri-TVm4A @ 7:29

Shots from the Jake vs Quaritch fight that are not only 100% finished, but not in the deleted scenes or in the extended cut.

CmwXl.jpg

Wierd, you'd think they'd include every single finished shot they had in the Extended. Thats a lot of money wasted if there is additional finished shots we will never see.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dead said:
Someone pointed this out on blu-ray.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7Ri-TVm4A @ 7:29

Shots from the Jake vs Quaritch fight that are not only 100% finished, but not in the deleted scenes or in the extended cut.

CmwXl.jpg

Wierd, you'd think they'd include every single finished shot they had in the Extended. Thats a lot of money wasted if there is additional finished shots we will never see.

And waste an 8th dip?

Fuck I wish they had completed the "Dream Hunt" deleted scene. Looks fucking awesome (if not a bit too long...but still would be sweet to see in finalized form.)

MYE

TacticalFox88 said:
Holy Fucking SHIT at this Making of Documentary. They actually got trainers to teach the actors how walk like a Navi?! Learning the actual language!? Why can't other film makers be like Cameron?

This shit is fucking incredible

Have you seen the Lord of the Rings EE extras?

StuBurns

Banned
JB1981 said:
The earth opening has a made-for-tv air about it. It's shit and belongs on the cutting room floor. Most of the deleted scenes should have been cut. The only scene that I felt would have buoyed the film, emotionally, is when Grace is telling Jake that he can never be one of the Na'vi. The desperation in Jake's face and Grace's understanding for why he wants to get back in there is pretty moving. It further reinforces Jake's desire to be free from his crippled, human self, which is something I thought the film could have emphasized much better.
I don't like the Earth intro, but I don't think it hurts the film. The original intro is better though. What about the Tsu'tey scene at the end? I liked that a lot.

WillyFive

Dead said:

Well, there's a difference between a deleted scene, and extra camera angles and shots.

You never know, they might not even be that long. A few seconds maybe.

JB1981

StuBurns said:
I don't like the Earth intro, but I don't think it hurts the film. The original intro is better though. What about the Tsu'tey scene at the end? I liked that a lot.
Haven't watched it yet but I thought tsu'tey was a very cliche character to begin with. I imagine it probably screws with the action climax pacing too...

Dead

well not really...yet
Willy105 said:
Well, there's a difference between a deleted scene, and extra camera angles and shots.

You never know, they might not even be that long. A few seconds maybe.
That's why I called them shots, rather than scenes!

Like, I have no doubt there are probably minutes worth of trimmed 100% fully rendered shots nipped and tucked here and there. That's normal for any film, its just that in Avatar's case, those minutes would cost millions :lol

BTW, I noticed something interesting in the "New Life" deleted scene. In the part where the Human Starship leaves Pandora's orbit, you can see a pod from the ship dropping from it

Dead

well not really...yet
Akia said:
Will there be another Avatar collector's extended edition director's cut out later? Or is this the version to buy?
Only a 3D edition, which is rumoured to not come out until 2012-2013, and Cameron said it won't have any new content over this collectors edition.

But who knows what might happen in 2014 when the lead up to Avatar 2 happens

jett

D-Member
All three discs in Collector's Edition are blu-ray right? Don't want to suffer another bait and switch like with Blade Runner.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
All three discs in Collector's Edition are blu-ray right? Don't want to suffer another bait and switch like with Blade Runner.
All Blu-Rays, and every special feature is in HD as far as I can tell

JB1981

Dead said:
There will be new content periodically uploaded to BD-Live though, that's been confirmed

I mean to comment on this .. I had to disable internet on my PS3 in order to get disc 2 to load ....

JB1981

The behind the scenes documentary on disc 2 is just amazing. I really never realized just how big a technological breakthrough this movie really is. It makes you appreciate the movie that much more.

Dead

well not really...yet
JB1981 said:
The behind the scenes documentary on disc 2 is just amazing. I really never realized just how big a technological breakthrough this movie really is. It makes you appreciate the movie that much more.
Cant wait to watch it, so far Ive only dug into the Scene Deconstruction (awesome)

I think Ive also had a look at every single deleted scene, so here is pretty much my entire run down.

- The extended opening with the Stingbat attack has a part that I cant believe was cut out of the movie, Jake looking at the Gas Giant in the sky while you hear Quaritch's "You're not in Kansas anymore"...

- Some stuff to do with Norm...thank god for it being cut. Theres an absolutely AWFUL scene where he dances before they go to the mountains. Im not sure what they were thinking even shooting this scene :lol

- There used to be more of an undercurrent plotline of the tensions between the Security Forces and the Scientists that ran until the end of the movie with the Avatar attack. A lot of it non essential, but some nice stuff nonetheless. I loved the part where the characters were prepping their Avatar equipment. I can't believe they actually made Na'vi sized shoes :lol

- In terms of character and story, the most glaring deletions are pretty much anything having to do with Jake and the Na'vi. The Hunt Festival, the Dreamhunt, Battle Camp, etc. These are the scenes I feel that are missed the most in the extended cut, and its a shame they're the scenes that would cost 15+ million to complete. The festival in particular has some great moments, especially one which would have tied in nicely with the newly added death scene for Tsu'Tey. Worthington also has some great moments in these scenes, I love the part where he mentions that "an alien mind probably won't even survive" right before the Dreamhunt

- Quaritch "humbling" Selfridge, also another scene that is a shame to lose. Further cements Quaritch as an utter sociopath.

- Finally, the alternate Learning Montage...this I really, really like. There's some beautiful stuff in here, like Grace talking with kids, counting on their fingers, etc. On the whole, it just has a totally different feel than the movie. A lot more solemn, almost sad.

There really isn't that much additional Quaritch scenes, notable because one of Quaritch's highlight scenes in the script, and confirmed to have been filmed, is nowhere to be found, Cameron held it back for some reason. Before the release of the CE, he mentioned there was a scene (or more?) that supposedly we would never see. I'm honestly dumbfounded as to why it would be that one.

JB1981

One of my favorite deleted scenes is the head cam scene of the aftermath of a Na'vi ambush on RDA soldiers. You see dead soldiers and burned exos. It gives the humans greater justification for hitting Hometree and makes Selfridge's decision to greenlight the attack more morally complex. It is just the justification that Quartich needed to put him over the edge and it makes a lot more internal sense. It also presents a "dark" side of the Na'vi which I felt the movie went to great pains to minimize. Really the scriptment is a much darker and violent piece of work than the final movie is.

Dead

well not really...yet
The scriptment has an R rated edge for sure, though it does go a little too far in some places. I mean weren't the RDA enslaving the Na'v in the scriptment?

But yeah, that's one of the things I like about the Extended Cut, the Na'vi are more..."humanized" I suppose. You see them hunt, and through that see how well trained as warriors they are, and through the retaliation scene, they're much better established, they're not Victimes standing around waiting for something to happen, they take action.

In the theatrical cut you had a truck with arrows in it, and Quaritch talking about reinforced bones and whatever, but the movie didn't support those things until Jake rallied everyone for the final battle, the Extended cut fixes that imo.

And also you have the subplot about the school. The extended edition just does a much better job of showing that this was a conflict that was gradually escalating to what we saw in the film.

hirokazu

Anyone got a price roundup for Australia?

The best I can find is Big W $25 for 3 Disc Blu-ray and $48 for uber 3 Disc Blu-ray plus some fancy shit. And $70 at JB for the same in a tin case. But Big W is a bit out of the way and I'm not sure that I can get to one before they get sold out. :(

hirokazu said:
Anyone got a price roundup for Australia?

The best I can find is Big W $25 for 3 Disc Blu-ray and $48 for uber 3 Disc Blu-ray plus some fancy shit. And $70 at JB for the same in a tin case. But Big W is a bit out of the way and I'm not sure that I can get to one before they get sold out. :(

Wish there was a Big W somewhere near me. Don't feel like shelling out $40 at JB.

Just found Target doing it for $35 and the ultra film frame cel for $60.

hirokazu

Scullibundo said:
Wish there was a Big W somewhere near me. Don't feel like shelling out $40 at JB.

Hmm, $10 more than Big W for both. I hope nobody likes Blu-ray and so there'll be copies left when I go there. :|

I hate that JB often does their pricing on release day depending on what the competition's offering. While it's good that their prices can end up cheaper than they advertised to match competition, it's a bloody annoying when trying to plan where to buy things ahead of release. >_<

Solo

Scullibundo said:

I thought you'd moved to LA/Hollywood, Sculli?

MYE

My Extended Avatar edition BD arrived yesterday.
Forgot how fucking amazing this movie looks, goddamn

edit: James Horner's soundtrack is really growing on me :D

Solo

Scullibundo said:
I got back a few days ago and plan on going back as soon as I

a) Get enough money.
b) Sort out a working visa.

Good man. Let me know when you grow tired of the US and want to make that Canadian indie flick. I will produce the shit out of it.

yacobod

Banned
finally got to sit down and watch my avatar ce bluray, the reviews are right on the money, whatever you previously thought was your reference disk is getting tossed aside for this one, looks fucking great.

first time watching the movie since i seen it in the theaters like 11 months ago. it's still a pretty awesome experience at home. some things came across pretty cheesy the second time around, but overall i enjoyed it a great deal. as far as the theatrical versus the 16 minute extended cut, i think i prefer the theatrical version of the film.

JB1981

I have changed my opinion. I really enjoy a lot of the additions to the 18 minute extended cut. I feel like the additions all belong and I particularly liked the Grace/Sully scene where she explains what happened at the school. The Tsu'tey death scene was MUCH better than I ever expected it to be. It is very emotional.

I have been reading the scriptment and I can't deny that I wish a lot of the small details were included. There is so much info about Pandora, the RDA's real motives, the state of things on Earth, seeing the Avatar birth (could have been an AMAZING scene!) and other things that I wish could have stayed.

Solo

Still haven't had the time I desire to get into the BD set (looks like probably the weekend after next I will have the time to delve in), but I do believe the book has just come in from Amazon, which Ill probably get to straight away.

Okay, so I watched all the new scenes added to the extended cut and all the deleted scenes and am seriously saddened that this movie isn't at least half an hour longer.

The movie that could have been would have cost an extra $50 mil or so and would have been absolutely worth it.

Off the top of my head (I'm sure I'm going to forget some stuff):

The reveal about Neytiri's sister when Jake is linking up - good.

The Earth opening - good, not great, yet still makes the film stronger with it included. I really liked the suits talking about Jake's contract whilst his brother was being cremated in front of him. Great stuff there.

The scene where Grace tells Jake exactly what happened at the school is perhaps the best inclusion out of anything added in the extended cut. To me it was more important than Tsu Tey's death scene, which is obviously great. It adds SO much to Grace.

I can't remember that much else the is included in the extended cut that isn't in the special edition rerelease. Or I might get confused with what were deleted scenes altogether.

Anyway, deleted scenes. Really sad to see a lot of this go.

The stingbat attack was great. Really highlighted how normally life-threatening Pandora was. I also liked seeing Jake call Lyle a limp-dick.

Teylu scene wasn't that important.

The Sturmbeast festival was amazing. One of the absolute biggest losses. Seeing not only ore of the Na'vi culture, but seeing Tsu Tey challenge Jake, before admiring him for his courage was great. Then to see him immediately lose that as he threatens his pairing with Neytiri was great too. Loved the dance scene between Neytiri and Jake.

The Dreamhunt was easily the biggest loss. I never could have hoped it to be as good as it was. Jesus I want to see it finished. That would have been an absolutely seminal cinematic scene - simply amazing. And yes, it would have strengthened the notion of Jake becoming Toruk Makto all the more. Also the stuff in the beginning where he reveals what he's doing to Grace. That is the moment the film was missing - where you see Jake come to the wall and you see the change.

The Pied Piper scene was a big loss to me. Again, we never got to see the more interesting side of Na'vi culture - so to see them all doing that stuff in the background whilst the kids play with Jake was great.

Long Way From Earth was obviously a huge loss and what I originally thought was going to be the biggest loss (before seeing the Dreamhunt). Really amps up the tension, drama and stakes for the film. Makes Selfridge a much stronger character as well.

Speaking of which, the scene where Jake and Grace confront Selfridge while he's hitting balls beyong the perimeter was pretty sweet to, would have been nice.

Lets Kick Some Blue Ass had me grinning from a few seconds in. I would have enjoyed the fuck out of that scene if it were included. I love a good suiting up to battle scene, especially when its Quaritch.

Pretty much every deleted scene with Norm was cut for good damn reason. I thought I didn't like Norm before, but goddamn is he an annoying fuck. :lol:

The unfortunate thing about having Norm's scenes cut is missing a lot of sexy Trudy. GODDAMN when we open on her doing a headstand in her tanktop. Loved seeing more of Trudy.

It makes sense that the only scene that I wish they would have kept with Norm was the one where Wainfleet brutally approaches and shreds his stupid face.

Which brings me to the next scene that I can't believe they cut in favour of its alternate scene: Wainfleet's death at the hands of a raging Neytiri. We get to not only see Wainfleet die a satisfying and non-comic/non-cringeworthy death like the theatrical cuts', but we get to see Neytiri act completely savage and war cry after taking his ass apart with the Thanator.

Oh and the alternate learning montage with the Grace stuff was brilliant. Should have been in.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, I agree with pretty much all of that :lol

The most interesting part is that A TON of research, preperation and choreography went into all those Na'vi deleted scenes. You'll notice this when you watch the Capturing Avatar Documentary.

If youve seen the Avatar Survival Guide, like 70% of the stuff in the book about the Na'vi can be seen in the deleted scenes.

To be honest, if I was Sam or Zoe, Id be miffed that scenes like the Festival and Dreamhunt were never finidhed and never made it to the final cut

If you watch the Documentary, Joe Letteri says that Cameron gave them a cut that was 45 minutes longer (~200 minutes) and Letteri said he hoped WETA could finish the entire movie on their own.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sun from LOST as Neytiri in the original ILM prototype:

9JQhQ.png

She totally sucks as Neytiri in the clip, but then again Zoe had a shit load of time to prepare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom