• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: AVATAR (82%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
Oh, hmm. I guess so.

BTW does anyone know what other scenes were added to the extended edition(compared to the re-release) besides the Earth opening?
Everything else is pretty much focused on Grace. You get the full story behind what happened at the school, and there are a few extended scenes with Grace as well.

I was hoping they would include the Festival scene, but it didn't make the cut :(

Man

Really liked how all the road markings on future earth were holograms. You barely see that in the photo there. And when the camera pans...

Man

Dead said:
So, for you guys who saw it...

You think the Earth opening should have never been cut?

50/50.

It was awesome and well directed. But original opening (which is still more or less there) is more bang on.

Future earth is very beautiful in it's decay, practically Pandora beauty.

Bit-Bit

Dead said:
So, for you guys who saw it...

You think the Earth opening should have never been cut?
Yeah I love the transition from earth to cryo. It made Jake a very likable character right away and would have made the scene where he walks again for the first time very impactful.

Man

It lessens the impact of legs reveal later though.

I also really want to see if that Bengal Tiger footage is 3D when the B3D comes out.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think the "leg reveal" is such a big deal. Anyone who saw the movie knew he was paralyzed based on the trailers. That reveal wasn't going to shock anyone imo

WillyFive

Man said:
It lessens the impact of legs reveal later though.

Nah.

But it does lessen the importance of the scene where Jake is talking to the tree. When we learned of what Earth was like, even though it wasn't a very original twist, it was very shocking when you first heard it, silent megaton style.

But now since you see the Earth already, the scene is less 'loaded'.

Dead

well not really...yet
Willy105 said:
Nah.

But it does lessen the importance of the scene where Jake is talking to the tree. When we learned of what Earth was like, even though it wasn't a very original twist, it was very shocking when you first heard it, silent megaton style.

But now since you see the Earth already, the scene is less 'loaded'.
I dunno, since you already see earth, Id think the exchange would have more context as you can now relate yo what Jake is saying, rather than it feeling like a line that Cameron just threw in there to further antagonize the humans.

Its kinda like the exchange where Grace mentions "that tends to happen when you use machine guns on them," that line might not even seem like a big deal to some when heard on its own, but when put into context, knowing she was most likely referring to the school shootout, the line stings more in retrospect.

Snaku

Banned
So yeah...Amazon's "preparing the shipment." No way am I getting this tomorrow now. This is the second time in a row their release day delivery fucked me.

Solo

Those BD screens look redonkulous. Can't wait to see it in motion finally. Also:

High definition home video enthusiasts—myself included—collectively held their mouths agape in awe when Avatar debuted on Blu-ray in April. "Reference quality. Demo worthy…nothing short of superlative in nearly every objectively measurable or subjectively eye-balled category," was my initial slack-jawed judgment, and I'm sure many of you agreed. You'll be glad to know, then, that despite the addition of 16-minutes of new high definition footage, the quality of the image hasn't dropped in the slightest. I popped in my copy of the standalone disc to spot check several scenes, and I really couldn't make out any negligible differences. Fine detail is just as crisp. Color is just as vivid. ("Eye-popping, with deep jungle greens, phosphorescent purples, bright orange bursts of fire, and, of course, the Na'vi's Smurf blue, all contrasted against the bleak fluorescence and gunmetal grays of the human military base.") Neither are there any noticeable fluctuations in black levels, contrast, or compression noise. I'm sure there are citizens of Internetsville planning on going frame-by-frame through all three hours of the film to parse out minute disparities, but to these well-meaning folks I say, one, just sit back and enjoy the show, and two, there are resources to help you get through this addiction. Help is out there.

Definitive edition am confirmed :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
I want impressions of the feature-length documentary on the disc. Is it just guys in a room with interviews about experiences or is there mostly behind-the-scenes detail being shown.

Dead

well not really...yet
~Kinggi~ said:
I want impressions of the feature-length documentary on the disc. Is it just guys in a room with interviews about experiences or is there mostly behind-the-scenes detail being shown.
The reviewer at Blu-ray.com commented on the forums that the Docu is "Amazing"

Capturing Avatar is a four-part, feature-length "making of" documentary by Laurent Bouzereau that explores every facet of the production, from the germination of Cameron's first ideas for the script all the way through to the film's blockbusting release. In between, you'll see the technological challenges of having to invent an entirely new and innovative motion capture workflow, as well as sequences about the creature and sound design, the casting, the score, etc. My favorite bit was seeing Cameron walk around a bare stage with the digital "camera" that he used to see inside the CGI world, framing shots exactly how he wanted them before sending all the info off for finishing at the WETA Workshop.

Im pretty sure the special features cover virtually every single thing you could possibly want to know about Avatar, and stuff you never even knew you wanted to know.

Hell, it even includes a 500 page "Pandorapedia" which covers pretty much every single scientific, botanical, biological, historical fact conceived that went into the creation of the movie.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Dead said:
The reviewer at Blu-ray.com commented on the forums that the Docu is "Amazing"

Im pretty sure the special features cover virtually every single thing you could possibly want to know about Avatar, and stuff you never even knew you wanted to know.

Hell, it even includes a 500 page "Pandorapedia" which covers pretty much every single scientific, botanical, biological, historical fact conceived that went into the creation of the movie.
yes i will get this.

Hopefully Best Buy tomorrow has it in store for 24.99. That seems to be the preorder price goiong around.

Dead

well not really...yet
~Kinggi~ said:
yes i will get this.

Hopefully Best Buy tomorrow has it in store for 24.99. That seems to be the preorder price goiong around.
$29 at Best Buy, $24 at Target. Youll have to pricematch!

Dead

well not really...yet
I got the set.

Just perusing it but I have only one thing to say so far.

Cameron has lost his fucking mind.

I just watched the "You're a long way from earth" Deleted Scene with Ribisi and Lang.

How the fuck do you not put that scene into the Extended Cut? It is fucking GREAT, and it is pretty much 100% complete aside from some very minor background greenscreen work.

Holy fuck.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm impressed so far. Watched all the deleted scenes and the disc 2 extras except the documentary.

Some really beautiful stuff got cut. I'm stunned they cut the original ending, it's very nice. And the Trudy and Norm relationship seems a strange inclusion to begin with, unless there is a lot more cut out than is here.

My favorite thing so far is watching the old Avatar demo with Sun from Lost. So cool to see that.

h3ro

TekkenMaster said:
So is this on store shelves today (Tuesday)?

If so, I am so pissed at amazon right now.

I ordered yesterday at around 5PM from them and my copy shipped at 11PM.

<3 Prime. :D

Dead

well not really...yet
Im kinda surprised, but a good chunk of the scenes cut from the film are basically Na'vi daily life, rituals, dances, war preperations, etc. If these scenes were in the film, you'd know more about Na'vi in Avatar then you would have Hobbit in Fellowship of the Ring :lol

Although, Im kinda curious as to why there is no Template for the majority of the "Festival" scene, and a lot of it is simply the actors on the sound stage (still nice). I don't understand, I mean, shouldn't there be template footage for everything that was shot?

There's a great scene where Jake is re-enacting getting chased by the "Last Shadow" in front of a bunch of Na'vi kids, and its kind of a wonderful, shame it got cut.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I was able to get Best Buy to price match with Target and get Avatar SE for 24.99. Unfortunately, the anti shoplifting device damaged the cover. I'll try to watch the special features tonight.

Dead

well not really...yet
Another pretty cool deleted scene...

The scene where
Grace dies, the camera pans up to the sky and there is literally an EYE on the ground that is formed under and around the Tree of Souls, with the tree itself being the Pupil

Man

Have seen it all now.
Two most memorable scenes are
future earth
and
death of tsu'tey.
The facial animations of the last scene is pretty remarkable.

Now onto the making of.

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
Another pretty cool deleted scene...

The scene where
Grace dies, the camera pans up to the sky and there is literally an EYE on the ground that is formed under and around the Tree of Souls, with the tree itself being the Pupil

what the EFF

StuBurns

Banned
Just watched the longest cut, with the exception of the new intro which I don't really care for, I think it's a notable improvement. I haven't seen the middle length cut yet, but I suspect it's the best.

Now I really liked Sam Worthington in the role and glad they ended up with him, but after watching his screen test, I'm surprised they settled on him. Very dry and monotone line readings. Now Zoe on the other hand was completely awesome in her screen test. Very energetic and showing loads of emotion. Plus, good God, she's gorgeous.

I skipped around and watched a few scenes. I like the new intro, and I like a couple of the new beats during the final battle.

Still wish Quarritch would have taken an arrow to the face for the killing blow.

StuBurns

Banned
VisionaryQuest0 said:
Now I really liked Sam Worthington in the role and glad they ended up with him, but after watching his screen test, I'm surprised they settled on him. Very dry and monotone line readings. Now Zoe on the other hand was completely awesome in her screen test. Very energetic and showing loads of emotion. Plus, good God, she's gorgeous.
I don't really care either way about Sam's performance, but Zoe's was the best female performance of the year, and not even getting the nom let alone the oscar is borderline offensive.

What a good way to come of a ban. Here are some pics:
zwb3aa.jpg

IMG_20101116_164519.jpg

IMG_20101116_164539.jpg

Had more...but photobucket fucked up. Dammit.

TacticalFox88 said:
What a good way to come of a ban. Here are some pics:
zwb3aa.jpg

IMG_20101116_164519.jpg

IMG_20101116_164539.jpg

Had more...but photobucket fucked up. Dammit.
Sadly, it looks like you got the DVD version instead of the blu. Unless you don't have a blu player.

Watching the doc now. Holy shit at Yujun Kim in the test footage.

PhoncipleBone said:
Sadly, it looks like you got the DVD version instead of the blu. Unless you don't have a blu player.
I got this so I could play it on my computer. My wife's picking up the blu-ray version. Talk about triple dipping. :lol

Bought the set over lunch.

Couldn't wait till I got home to see the Earth scenes. (I've been extremely hyped to see them).

Popped it in and watched the opening.

OMG, the symmetry of Jake's eyes opening on Earth at the start of the movie and opening his eyes at the close is so awesome.

Also, a co-worker commented that Jake is in the Jesus pose when staring up after getting thrown out of the bar.

Can't wait to watch the entire film now.

So pumped.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh boy, what a joy to open up this set and see fucking cardboard holders for my precious blu-rays. I especially love looking at the back of the discs and seeing sticky residue all over it with smudges and shit.

Man, i fucking love that.
fuckers

IMO New beginning adds more explanation to Jake's motivation throughout the film. Instead of just taking his word when he talks about it, we get to see it. He is also a good person.

and
if a crippled guy kicked my ass I would defiantly question the way I live my life.

Holy Fucking SHIT at this Making of Documentary. They actually got trainers to teach the actors how walk like a Navi?! Learning the actual language!? Why can't other film makers be like Cameron?

This shit is fucking incredible

WillyFive

TacticalFox88 said:
Why can't other film makers be like Cameron?

Because James Cameron is insane. He plays with robots at the bottom of the ocean, and has dreams of murdering cyborgs. And he tells his actors how to do it again for real.

Other filmmakers can't just do that.

That's why he is the king of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom