• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Konami released like 20+ games on Wii after Brawl was out, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is one of my favorite games on Wii.
Guinness World Records: The Video Game
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Scene It? Twilight
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Tomena Sanner
Sandy Beach
Driift Mania
Contra ReBirth
Ant Nation
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 3
Dance Dance Revolution Winx Club
Tornado Outbreak
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Whellie Breakers
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Def Jam Rapstar
Ben 10 Alien Force: The Rise of Hex
Yard Sale Hidden Treasures: Sunnyville
Dance Dance Revolution
Gormiti: The Lords of Nature!
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Duel Transer
Dance Dance Revolution II

Damn, look at those quality games Snake being in Brawl got us. Can't wait to see what's in store now that Ryu is in Smash!!!

AdanVC

Wow so now I can have Mario mega man sonic pac man and Ryu all battle. These are all huge gaming icons in one game amazing

Looking forward for the screenshot of this 4 characters together. Truly awesome to have them together in one game indeed!

Snake tho... sigh :'(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Scene It? Twilight
Tomena Sanner
Sandy Beach
Driift Mania
Contra ReBirth
Ant Nation
Tornado Outbreak
Def Jam Rapstar
Dance Dance Revolution

Damn, look at those quality games Snake being in Brawl got us. Can't wait to see what's in store now that Ryu is in Smash!!!

if capcom would release the equivalent of two Pes and shattered memories, I'd be happy...!

buzzth

Wow, I can't believe it leaked, what a way to render this upcoming presentation hypeless. Excited for Ryu, Couldn't care less for Roy, there's already plenty of FE characters, why do we need him?

This is separate from the character ballot, which is still ongoing.

Ahh my mistake then. I just can't see Roy being even in the top 5 however especially since it's an anything goes type deal and people are more likely to go with more obscure characters and their own personal favorites. I think it comes down to it just being easier to make him but I would rather have sakurai spend months balancing new characters then quickly getting another clone out the door.

Forkball

Although I would always prefer to see first party characters get in over third party ones, Ryu is definitely a worthy entry and his games have had a long history with Nintendo. HISTORY LESSON:

+The first Street Fighter game to hit consoles was Street Fighter II on SNES. SFII and its iterations sold 12 million copies on the SNES and it was a major boon for the console during the bloody 16 bit wars. It eventually did come to the Genesis, but it was a Nintendo exclusive for several years. It's safe to say SF wouldn't be the franchise it is today without it being a major success on the SNES.
+Street Fighter Alpha 2 was also on SNES (though it came to the Saturn and PSX a few months prior).
+SFII also came to the Game Boy.
+GBA got Puzzle Fighter II and SFA3.
+Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO was released on GCN
+Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was an exclusive fighter for the Wii

Most of his Nintendo cred comes from SFII on SNES, but it still stands as one of the biggest third party games for any Nintendo console or handheld. His games sold more on Nintendo systems than a lot of others who are represented in Smash.

ugly

I'm a newbie to the Smash series, so... Is there a reason why they wouldn't offer original controls for Ryu?

Woah, this is like when a child offers a beautiful moment of pristine clarity - unsullied by the dark corners of the adult brain

Ahh my mistake then. I just can't see Roy being even in the top 5 however especially since it's an anything goes type deal and people are more likely to go with more obscure characters and their own personal favorites. I think it comes down to it just being easier to make him but I would rather have sakurai spend months balancing new characters then quickly getting another clone out the door.

People like Roy. I'm not one of them, but he's a fan favorite from Melee, and people want him in. Plus it's not like he'll have a ton of different animations so he's easy to bring in.

Nightbird

Scene It? Twilight
Tomena Sanner
Sandy Beach
Driift Mania
Contra ReBirth
Ant Nation
Tornado Outbreak
Def Jam Rapstar
Dance Dance Revolution

Why did you left out Metal Gear wich most likely came to the 3DS because of that Deal?

I'm a newbie to the Smash series, so... Is there a reason why they wouldn't offer original controls for Ryu?

Because smash controls are vastly different from your standard fighter control scheme. It wouldn't make sense to change up the controls just for 1 character. He may have a unique mechanic like a super bar or something, but his moveset will be standard smash stuff. B button for specials, A for normals, smash attacks and tilts.

Pandy

I hate these leaks. now why should I watch tomorrow Sakurai presentation? I hope they weren't part of the Digital event...
To enjoy the presentation and the reveals?

The characters were widely rumoured anyway, so I'm kinda glad that I know now and can just relax and enjoy the show, and I won't disappoint myself hoping for other characters to appear tomorrow.
C'mon Wonder Red.

I think the problem is that while you do those moves in SF Ryu remains motionless, kind of fixed in his position until the input is made, then the move is done. It just wouldn't work for Smash since it's not "stiff" like SF is.

Also it takes a bit more time to do a quarter circle input than, say, just pressing B for a hadouken or something. Regular fighting game inputs wouldn't jive well with smash's gameplay at all, but they might include a few of them. I wonder what his final smash will be.

How so? The best-selling Street Fighter game of all time was on a Nintendo system.

I do know what you mean. I remember I think Sakurai saying that he wanted less 3rd party characters cause it kind of takes away from the charm of Smash to have too many of them.

However one thing that I can say is that at the very least Mega Man and Ryu both have a lot of history with Nintendo. Mega Man got his start and big break on the NES, with 6 titles that are considered classics on the NES.

Street Fighter II is basically the game that reinvented the fighting game as we know it, and definitely put Street Fighter on the map, and I believe it's most popular iteration was on the SNES. I believe Ryu has more connection and history to Nintendo than, say, Pac Man.

Good points, good points. At this point all that can happen is a fruitless debate on history vs relevance, which again is all semantics and guesswork.

It just feels off to pay money for someone like Ryu, when as fun as this is, it wont change the fact that we wont see street fighter on WiiU.

Like 3rd party status in stinkin smash bros should be a consideration to people who are you know.. actually supporting nintendo at all...

inb4 megaman, he was pure fan demand

Roo

People like Roy. I'm not one of them, but he's a fan favorite from Melee, and people want him in. Plus it's not like he'll have a ton of different animations so he's easy to bring in.
Didn't Sakurai say bringing Melee characters back was(is) kinda hard?
I don't understand why people keep saying they're easy to bring.

Don't care about Roy (Nice design, though), but Ryu actually looks pretty cool. Love the focus attack.

hey

hey

The Rebirth games were great

I got your point and agree, just thought I'd throw that in.

Socivol

It's just weird because Lucina is literally a Marth clone with the same "change" as Roy minus the fire. It doesn't make much sense unless they have changed the way Roy plays.

Forkball

I wonder what his final smash will be.

Gotta be Shinku Hadoken. It's pretty similar to a lot of other final smashes already, especially Mario, but hey Ryu did it first.

And for people complaining about Ryu, we either get him or one of those fucking Monster Hunter cats. We got off easy.

The existence of Street Fighter II is all the "justification" needed LOL
A multi-platform title that originally launched in arcades and was released on practically everything but your toaster is justification? I guess we should get Doom guy in the game then, I mean it WAS on the Nintendo 64.

Ryu has been in more games for Nintendo consoles and handhelds in the last 10 years than Ness.
Apples and oranges. Ness is a Nintendo character and Smash Bros is a game that celebrates Nintendo's wide history of IPs. Ryu isn't a Nintendo character, and unlike Sonic or Megaman his history of featuring in Nintendo exclusive products in almost nill. I'd argue that Snake also didn't really deserve a spot, but at the very least The Twin Snakes was still mildly recent when Brawl came out.

Nibel

Another swordfighter in Smash.
e5YuU.gif

It's just weird because Lucina is literally a Marth clone with the same "change" as Roy minus the fire. It doesn't make much sense unless they have changed the way Roy plays.

Roy has a sweetspot like Marth, but at the hilt of the sword. Lucina doesn't have a sweetspot anywhere. She's a boring, vanilla version of Marth, basically.

Just like in Awakening huehuehuehue

dumbyugi

Does it really matter if Capcom is supporting the Wii U? They are one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo's other console, the 3DS. Hell Street Fighter was a launch title on it.

munchie64

Cool! It's a shame they leaked ages ago, but then again that would make leaking videos even more tragic.
I hope Ryu's amazing.

bon

Congrats to Roy for managing to be a less interesting addition to a fighting game than a shoto.

For real though Ryu looks awesome.

Durden77

WHOA DID NOT EXPECT THIS TONIGHT. RYUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

Oh and Roy...bleh.

Also, welcome to the "Durr iznt nin10do enuf" club Ryu. Call Snake if you get pestered too much.

All Smash characters have by design very similar inputs, in fact most are identical in that regard. It isn't impossible Ryu will get an exception, but it would be weird, and also break a lot of implications in the overall game design.

Does it really matter if Capcom is supporting the Wii U? They are one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo's other console, the 3DS. Hell Street Fighter was a launch title on it.

People always try and find ways to discredit a character's inclusion so they have an excuse to bring up their fave. Just look at the Wonder Red requests huehuehue

Forkball

A multi-platform title that originally launched in arcades and was released on practically everything but your toaster is justification? I guess we should get Doom guy in the game then, I mean it WAS on the Nintendo 64.
SFII sold 12 million on SNES, turned SF into an important franchise, and was a major exclusive during the 16 bit era. We wouldn't even have Smash if SFII didn't take off on SNES.

RYU'S A NINTENBRO

Seriously Ryu is amazing, ok that's not a Nintendo character but at least we can prove now that Smash bros is a fighting game :>

But Roy... Come on guys... Did you play Fire Emblem 6 ? How can you not hate him after playing this game. He's just as bland as Marth but less strong and less iconic. Finding him cool in melee because you where an easily impressed kid is not a valid reason.

Extremely disappointed, and NO 5 Fire Emblem rep is not too much but 2 fire emblem clone IS TOO MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom