• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That's pretty good. I remember the previous videos, the games were at a few FPS. 20 seems like a nice improvement.

Trogdor1123

I'm impressed, i thought it would be way more difficult. When they do things like making 8 threads possible on cpus will it be easier to do the cell?

TomRL

Banned
So it begins. I have a big interest in emulators. The PS2 emulator still isn't even finished. There is a small percentage of games that don't work and the ones that do often have some distracting issues. So this will take a while to get working to a usable standard. And it's the PS3, so that makes thing 10x worse. Good luck to this guy, I look forward to seeing this grow.

Damerman

might as well call this thread " play Dragon's dogma and Red dead redemption at 1080p with higher framerate in 20 years"

I think this thing inspired me to learn computing algorithms and instruction sets. I'm gonna research that.

Aru

But that means PS4's emulation development will go even faster, right? Since it uses the PC architecture?

If it worked like that, Xbox would have been emulated a while ago.
Even if someone can make a good PS4 emulator, we wouldn't be able to play any game until a decade. There's no processor powerful enough to emulate an AMD APU at full speed, and there won't be any time soon.

SerTapTap

If it worked like that, Xbox would have been emulated a while ago.
Even if someone can make a good PS4 emulator, we wouldn't be able to play any game until a decade. There's no processor powerful enough to emulate an AMD APU at full speed, and there won't be any time soon.

I assume you'll probably need 6GB of GDDR5 to run anything at proper speed too, since PS4 currently has 5.5 open to devs and lots of stuff may depend on that amount/speed.

I assume you'll probably need 6GB of GDDR5 to run anything at proper speed too, since PS4 currently has 5.5 open to devs and lots of stuff may depend on that amount/speed.

Ram would probably be among the least of the worries when it comes to emulating the PS4. By the time it's even feasible, 6 GB of ram will be nothing.

Ram would probably be among the least of the worries when it comes to emulating the PS4. By the time it's even feasible, 6 GB of ram will be nothing.

Yes, what's more problematic is the missing hUMA when/if games do GPGPU. Copying data from CPU memory to GPU meomory will remain slow on traditional PC setups with dedicated graphics cards.

Afrikan

I thought this would never be possible.

Finally will be able to play a true next Gen football game....With realistic tackling and interaction.

I'm sure someone will be able to mod this to have more realistic equipment....enhance the graphics...and tighten up the gameplay.

ibcTrx3QLj62FC.gif

apollo1444

Neo Member
and to think "emulation" is a point made by PC fanboys when talking about pc vs console... this won't be near playable till 2026

Sentenza

and to think "emulation" is a point made by PC fanboys when talking about pc vs console... this won't be near playable till 2026
Because it's a very strong one and the world doesn't begin and end with PS3 emulation? I can't even tell if you're serious or it's some goofy and poorly disguised attempt at trolling.
Not to mention how if anything the fact this emulator exists AT ALL should be an argument *for* emulation, not against it.
Oh, and the "2026" part is laughable.

Orayn

Dat rock hard 3.6FPS. Awesome progress though.

Yeah, it may not sound like much, but just getting to a single digit framerate is a pretty big accomplishment at this point. We'll see more progress as they refine the emulation methods and get entirely new pieces of the API working.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Good news but the games it's can boot?....get back to me when it boots GOW3 and Uncharted 3
until then it's still years away.

might as well call this thread " play Dragon's dogma and Red dead redemption at 1080p with higher framerate in 20 years"

I think this thing inspired me to learn computing algorithms and instruction sets. I'm gonna research that.

Emulators are why I got into programming. 20 years later and I still can't program one but at least I got a CS degree and a career.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even if this takes time, it will likely be worth it. Let it be years away from viability. PCXS2 came along slow and look where that is.

UnrealEck

He's serious I think. I clocked eyes on a thread title that says something about sexy MGS clothing. I guess I should venture into that thread.

Katori

He's definitely serious. And this is progressing very quickly.

I highly doubt it'll take 20 years to get solid FPS in 3D retail games.

CentroXer

Banned
people are far too pessimistic about this. I think they will be able to run some games at decent speed in 5 years. Programmers will always find a way.

Jackpot

Banned
people are far too pessimistic about this. I think they will be able to run some games at decent speed in 5 years. Programmers will always find a way.

Yes, but by that time a PS3 will cost the price of two retail video games. PCSX2 still can't do Ace Combat, Urban Response Riot Control and many other big games.

Top Bottom