• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game

Dario ff

Banned
I couldn't get Sonic CD to go in-game but demo mode works after waiting on the title screen. The framerate seemed to fluctuate at first and then it went into 100-300 FPS range.

EDIT: Wrote an actual sentence.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seeing how great Dark Souls looked on PC, Demon's Souls could probably look just as gorgeous if rendered at a respectable resolution. It'll be exciting to see in 3 years at 2 fps
3AQmK.gif

KKRT00

Demon's Souls is better than either of those games, so I think you broke it. Sorry.

Two games similar to Demon's Souls already have been released on PC and next one is about to release, meanwhile there is nothing like Gran Turismo 5/6 or Wipeout HD on PC.
Nah, my fix was good.

I know we're many years away from this being viable, but this gets me excited for the few unlocalized ps3 games to get fan translations some day

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Two games similar to Demon's Souls already have been released on PC and next one is about to release, meanwhile there is nothing like Gran Turismo 5/6 or Wipeout HD on PC.
Nah, my fix was good.

Project Cars coming soon, and F-zero is rocking it on emulators!

Can anyone explain if the 360 is undergoing any emulation progress? I was certain it would be an easier venture due to the less exotic architecture compared to the PS3. Does the 360's relative ease of development have no bearing on this?

Great progress on the emulator though, makes me hopeful they'll have something workable within the next few years.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Can anyone explain if the 360 is undergoing any emulation progress? I was certain it would be an easier venture due to the less exotic architecture compared to the PS3. Does the 360's relative ease of development have no bearing on this?

Great progress on the emulator though, makes me hopeful they'll have something workable within the next few years.

Well the 360 thread would probably be bumped when there is unless no one is paying attention.

Orayn

Wonder how the new build handles Disgaea? Running a PS3-native commercial game near full speed would be a huge milestone, even if the game in question is a pretty modest one.

Also, I'm curious as to when we'll hear about progress on the SPEs. Reading some earlier stuff made it sound like GPGPU wouldn't be an option for them, so the number of CPU threads will probably be a huge bottleneck. Rev up those overclocked hyperthreaded hexacores!

BKK

I couldn't get Sonic CD to go in-game but demo mode works after waiting on the title screen. The framerate seemed to fluctuate at first and then it went into 100-300 FPS range.

EDIT: Wrote an actual sentence.

Try this build. It should be fully playable now. You'll probably want to select VSync in Config>Settings>Graphics. Graphically it seems perfect, but can't comment on sound as my low spec PC only runs it @20-25fps (maybe I should upgrade before building a whole new PC once Skylake releases).

BKK

Oh, I hadn't updated my graphics drivers after upgrading to Windows 8. Now running @150fps, but has audio issues (graphics seem fine). This is on these crappy specs;

Intel Core i3 540 @3.07GHZ
DDR3 1333MHz 2GB
EAH 5670 DDR5 1GB

Had to V-Sync to drop down to a playable speed (60fps). I guess the "won't play commercial games at full speed for years" crowd were mistaken by several orders of magnitude.

Thorgal

Oh, I hadn't updated my graphics drivers after upgrading to Windows 8. Now running @150fps, but has audio issues (graphics seem fine). This is on these crappy specs;

Intel Core i3 540 @3.07GHZ
DDR3 1333MHz 2GB
EAH 5670 DDR5 1GB

Had to V-Sync to drop down to a playable speed (60fps). I guess the "won't play commercial games at full speed for years" crowd were mistaken by several orders of magnitude.
Awesome !

These in-game proof of concepts makes me think of all sorts of possibilities.

I can't wait until they get the emulator working with the majority of commercial games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As soon as this emulator boots into games and supports any resolution, I'm crawling through Demon's Souls at 1fps and 6K just to see what hidden beauty the game may have in store.

PGamer

fucking juniors
As soon as this emulator boots into games and supports any resolution, I'm crawling through Demon's Souls at 1fps and 6K just to see what hidden beauty the game may have in store.

Hey did you happen to see that Dolphin got that feature the other day? I haven't tried it out yet myself.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey did you happen to see that Dolphin got that feature the other day? I haven't tried it out yet myself.

I saw people saying that, but I updated to the latest developer branch and couldn't find the option. Perhaps it's something that needs to be changed in the INI? But I didn't see it in the Graphics UI.

For now I just stick with my typical method of getting 4K screenshots, either setting my desktop res to 3840x2160 and setting resolution to auto (window size), or if I can get SRWE working well with it just forcing the window to a huge res and taking a screenshot.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Perhaps it's something that needs to be changed in the INI? But I didn't see it in the Graphics UI.

Yup, it's set via the INI. The dev who coded it apparently doesn't really care about the UI and no one else really seems to have a good idea of how to implement it cleanly in the interface.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yup, it's set via the INI. The dev who coded it apparently doesn't really care about the UI and no one else really seems to have a good idea of how to implement it cleanly in the interface.

Ahh okay, sweet! I was poking around in there and I'm still not quite sure how to enable it, but I'll mess around with it next time I'm playing a game and try it out.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So, when game devs make games do they have a computer that is the same guts wise as the console or do they have a emulator/program that runs games during development? We always hear about games running on a PC at game expos.

Seik

Banned
I dream of playing Star Ocean 4 with a resolution that doesn't goes to shit tier when going in battles.

Modest dreams, I know.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I dream of playing Star Ocean 4 with a resolution that doesn't goes to shit tier when going in battles.

Modest dreams, I know.

Oh I didn't think of this! A pristine SO4 would be awesome and some mods to put in some of the better models from the 360 version would help clean up things a bit as well.

LordOfChaos

Holy. Considering how much more powerful than a Gamecube for example a computer has to be to emulate it, I wonder what it would take to run PS3 games perfectly, maybe at higher resolutions than it does. Not that it's a particularly powerful piece of kit in the modern world, but the architecture is just so, so crazy, emulating the SPEs and local memories and thievery would be nuts.

So, when game devs make games do they have a computer that is the same guts wise as the console or do they have a emulator/program that runs games during development? We always hear about games running on a PC at game expos.
Yeah, I think that's essentially a dev kit. They probably have some SDK type software on them too made by the manufacturer.

Modest dreams, I know.
I'd play that. I would even buy a PC port of that game.

I don't care what anyone says that game was legit fun.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yeah, I think that's essentially a dev kit. They probably have some SDK type software on them too made by the manufacturer.
Excuse my ignorance but wouldn't that mean that PS3 and 360 emulators already exist? What would prevent someone from leaking them?

Excuse my ignorance but wouldn't that mean that PS3 and 360 emulators already exist? What would prevent someone from leaking them?

No, they don't exist. If a game runs on a console and PC they have to compile it for those paltforms separately. Parts of the code are different, and of course the final machine code will be different.

Xenus

I'd play that. I would even buy a PC port of that game.

I don't care what anyone says that game was legit fun.

Me too I was hoping when MLAA and other screenspace AA's got big that they'd at least go back and patch that into a buch of games that really needed some better AA or some AA at all. But alas it never happened.

Ahzrei

Banned
Seeing how great Dark Souls looked on PC, Demon's Souls could probably look just as gorgeous if rendered at a respectable resolution. It'll be exciting to see in 3 years at 2 fps
3AQmK.gif

Demons Souls at 1080p, or even higher
(dare I even dream?)
would be mind blowing.

Tealmann

So can this render 3D objects yet? I know it's still early days and we can't expect full 3d games yet, but it seems odd that I've never seen anyone even try a 3d game.

Top Bottom