• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP/LTTP: Parasite Eve series

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR ALL THREE GAMES IN THE OP!

I played the original Parasite Eve way back around the time it was released and loved it, but never finished the sequel or even started the PSP one; since they're all up on the PSN and Vita compatible, I decided to go back to the start and play through the whole series recently. Thoughts on each one:

zDuaKJ0l.jpg

Tbh, I went into this expecting the game to have not aged very well and prepared myself for disappointment. Was I ever wrong. It's held up incredibly well and is every bit as fantastic now as it was in 1998. Even the visuals, which are clearly very dated, still look amazing - Squaresoft's New York City is a beautiful and creepy place. Wonderful atmosphere.

And the music, oh boy, the music. Yoko Shimomura has an extraordinarily impressive body of work but I think if I had to choose, I'd say that the Parasite Eve soundtrack is the best she's ever put together. Some standout tracks (but really, it's all great): Primal Eyes, Plosive Attack, Out of Phase, Arise Within You, Matrix, Somnia Memorias

While the story isn't necessarily anything ~amazing~, the premise is pretty interesting and it's something pretty unique for a video game (possible because it was written as a sequel of sorts to a Japanese novel). The pacing is also quite good - it's fairly short as far as JRPGs go and I like how it's broken up into separate days/phases. Can't forget to mention the characters, as well: Aya Brea was a great addition to the SQEX pantheon. She's not super fleshed out, but what we learn of her character over the course of the game's six days is that she's pretty damn gutsy and smart on her feet. I like her a lot and the fact that the game has a female protagonist was actually the main reason I tried it out when I was a kid. I also liked how the villain was handled, how she's sympathetic in a way and we find out more and more about her past as we play through the game. Well, Melissa wasn't really the villain, but every time I went up against Eve, I'd feel sad about the poor opera singer inside.

I could go on and on about all the things I like in Parasite Eve, but for the sake I've brevity I'll just wrap up with this: a fantastic game in nearly every way.

One question for GAF: is the Chrysler Building worth the slog? I made it to the 30th floor back during my first playthrough, but abandoned it because my equipment sucked (made some dumb choices w/my upgrades and ended up w/mediocre guns and armor). Didn't attempt it this time around, but was thinking of giving it a go soon.

r3S2kDUl.jpg

So, I started this game over a decade ago and got about half way through before screwing up my save file in a way that made it impossible to progress. Coming back to it, I was a little wary. I've never been a big fan of Resident Evil-type games thanks to the controls, and Parasite Eve II is basically a RE clone w/fewer and dumber puzzles and light RPG elements. In terms of gameplay it's...really not the sequel anyone was looking for to Parasite Eve and I was pretty disappointed with it from what I'd played years ago. I think knowing this helped the second time around, because I found that I actually enjoyed Parasite Eve II a fair amount by the end of it. They pretty much threw out almost everything that made the original so great and replaced it with something new and different, but if you can get beyond the fact that as a sequel, it's pretty much crap, there's a decent game underneath.

I really enjoyed the Dryfield part of the game - I think it captured the ominous, creepy feeling that pervaded the original game the best. Take a mundane, normal American setting, then twist it into something mutated and sinister. Dryfield also resonated w/me a bit because I grew up in a rural goldrush town not too far from the Nevada border, so I'm not unfamiliar with those sort of "blink and you'll miss it" dots on the map out West and it made this part of the game more nail-biting for me

I wish the plot wasn't so lackluster. It felt like it was conceived as an afterthought and is very weak compared to the first game's narrative and poorly presented. I think if you somehow miss checking the computer log in one of the Shelter's rooms, you never even really find out wtf happened in there. That said, the things Aya thinks to herself when you inspect objects could be pretty amusing at time.

Anyway, not a good sequel but not a bad game either.

ROXL4ZLl.jpg

Oh, this game. Where to begin.

I was super hyped when it was first announced, and when they switched development to the PSP halfway through, it became one of the main reasons I picked up that system. Alas, after all of the lecherous hype around the disintegrating costume feature, the fact that they'd devolved Aya into a "vulnerable" amnesiac and the gross and unnecessary shower scene, I'd basically lost all interest in the game by the time it came out. Still, I wanted to finish the series so I tried to put all that aside and just keep my expectations really low for this one. And, well, I'll just come right out and admit it: I have some serious reservations about this game, but overall I loved the 3rd Birthday.

Super fun 3rd person shooter, looks great, sounds fantastic, hearkens back to the first game w/its creepy, mutated NYC setting. There's a lot here that was really well done. But the story? Good gods, the story? Hot, hot garbage. Just, wtf. W.T.F. Wtfffffffff. My first thought when I beat the final boss was "Great, now they'll finally explain what the hell has been going on the whole game." My second thought was, "Wtf is that game that I have to wait til the ending cutscene to understand the plot." The way the narrative is laid out is just terrible. A bunch of cryptic cutscenes that don't make any sense all game, sprinkled with datalog entries that actually do the heavy lifting in explaining the setting, capped off with an ending that finally attempts to de-mystify the ridiculously obtuse narrative w/a BS, poorly explained twist. Just, come on. I don't hate Toriyama, but this game really helped me understand why so many people hate the way the story was presented in FFXIII.

And man, Aya...:-( A great character w/a lot of potential and oops! Turns out she's not really in this game! I guess on some level, it's maybe better that the constantly whimpering, docile young woman that I ran around NYC w/was actually Eve sans her memories, instead of the game just dragging Aya's characterization through the mud. And when Aya did show up for a few minutes in the end, she was her old self. And, um, maybe there's something badass about the fact that her psychic death births a new species that destroys the world? (lol no) But, uh, yeah. No. This was...not a good direction for the series narrative to take, not at all. I mean, they clearly were trying to take the series back to its roots somewhat with this installment - returning to NYC, remixing and reusing the original's soundtrack in some great ways - so why on earth did they decide that when it came to the plot, the heavy lifting would come from the narratively desolate and uninspiring sequel?

Also, this is probably the dumbest thing to focus on in this game's dumb story, but Aya and Kyle got engaged in 2008. Why did they wait two years to get married if their wedding was only going to consist of them + Eve in a empty church. It took two years to plan that? And how did Kyle survive his gunshot wounds but Aya, who has regeneration powers, die from hers? (or was dying? in the original timeline?) Or maybe she wasn't really going to but Eve just panicked, I don't even know. And if there are forces out that that are trying to track you and your fiance down and kill you, why are you - you know what, no. Nevermind. Just no.

So, idk. I feel pretty conflicted about the 3rd Birthday. I had a ton of fun playing it, but everything about the game's narrative and the way they treat Aya's character is just horrifically awful and inexcusable. And yet, as soon as the credits started rolling, I wanted to play through it again.

Overall

tl;dr: a worthwhile series that has gone in bizarre directions at every turn, but is consistently fun to play. I wish the original game had a proper sequel that iterated on the solid gameplay and advanced the narrative in a meaningfully interesting way. I think PE II and the 3rd Birthday may have been better off as new IPs and SQEX shouldn't have tried to piggyback the PE name/story onto otherwise competent games (and maybe they would have been better received by fans of the original if none of us had been expecting them to carry on the PE legacy) but what's done is done. Part of me wants to see the series continue but honestly, if they made a 4th game, who knows what it would even look or play like. I think I would be happy if they announced another one, but if the 3rd Birthday killed the series, perhaps that's for the best as well.

AwShucks

I love love love the first Parasite Eve and despite the tank controls still find a lot of enjoyment in PE2. But Parasite Eve 1 did some great things with gameplay including the weapon creation and I thought the battle system was great. I replayed both just before PE3 came out.

PE3 is beautiful and has some pretty fun gameplay. I'll stop there :)

Sgblues

I always liked PE1, sure there were better rpgs with much better systems, spells and effects but its shining points were its music, atmosphere, setting(the real nyc) and for the fact its one of the few horror based rpgs.

I kinda wished the PE spells had more "umph" in them, I usually just forget them except for haste, barrier and medic and just rely on medicine for healing.

The tool/super tool item was neat as it made it possible to make your own "ultimate" weapon/armor by taking stats from stuff and adding it to what you wanted, I think more games should have that.

Yeah the Chrysler Building is worth as there are many good weapons/armor there, just watch out for mimics as they can mess you up bad, but most importantly the "true" ending is at the top after the boss

antitrop

Aya Brea was definitely a game character crush of mine when I was just hitting puberty, which happened to coincide with the time the game came out.

Those legs.

HWEHT3P.jpg

JehutyGR

Loved the series, specially the first one but 2 was good too, exept 3rd Birthday for obvious reasons. I wish we could see more jrpgs with setting like this.

Jawmuncher

Reminds me to give 1 and 2 a go.
Especially if they ever hit PS+ or go on sale.
Played third birthday though and I did like it for what it was.

I only played the first game, but like you I was surprised at how much I loved it.

There aren't a lot of games I would bother beating twice, Parasite Eve was one of them.

I never played the sequel because I heard Shimomura didn't come back to do the soundtrack and that's just not right. Also because I heard they made it more like RE, which I'm not sure I want.

legacyzero

Banned
Never did get to play 3rd Birthday. I heard it was super bad.

Aya Brea was definitely a game character crush of mine when I was just hitting puberty, which happened to coincide with the time the game came out.

Those legs.

http://i.imgur.com/HWEHT3P.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
Dat shower scene

antitrop

Parasite Eve 1 is also noteworthy for having one of the most broken level-up mechanics in an RPG, especially coming out of SquareSoft.
From Level 37 to 38 it requires 185,888 experience points. From Level 38 to Level 39 it only requires 4,500 points and that trend continues all the way up to Level 99.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/pe/experience.shtml

I honestly have no idea why they did that. Laziness, I assume.

Vamphuntr

Parasite Eve 1 is really a great experience and I enjoy replaying it once in a while. Great music, great cutscenes, fun little battle system, nice customization and a good little story. The story in the second game is truly awful but I guess this is because they had no book to take inspiration from this time. The balance in the second game is also all over the place and you can be in real trouble if you don't level up the right elements.

The third game is really a disaster. I can't really say the gameplay was anything good either. You have to rely on auto lock-on all of the time because of the awful camera and your dodge roll that makes the camera go haywire. All of the layers of depth of the past two games are flushed down the drain too : no PE powers, no equipment, no consumable, no status ailment and so on. You have that awful DNA board where you reroll again and again in hope you get a rare DNA and that is pretty much it.

There is a boss later on that have to beat using a really slow firing laser that cannot auto lock on and where the boss is really agile that truly shows how awful the controls and gameplay is.

Ammo is poorly balanced. So bad that they had to give you a pistol in unlimited ammo in one of your slot so that you were never out of ammo. I guess having enemies drop ammo like in most third party shooter wasn't cool enough for them.

The only part I really enjoyed was the part of the final battle on the skating rink. It was nice graphic and concept wise and the dive in thing was cool there.

As for the story, well yeah it's really stupid and convoluted. Even when you piece everything together it's still awful since it kinda goes against the lore of the previous two games.

Those legs.

[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/HWEHT3P.jpg[/IMG]

That awkward moment you realize she's just Cloud with a wig and breasts.

ebil

Never did get to play 3rd Birthday. I heard it was super bad.

Dat shower scene
Gameplay was pretty good, but don't get me started on that story. Ugh... Let's just say Toriyama outclassed himself here.

I really loved Parasite Eve when it came out. My mom bought it as a Christmas present so I was totally in the mood while playing it. Battle system was cool with the amount of weapon/equipment customization available.
I remember being super frustrated with that chase sequence after the last boss, because I took a wrong turn and promptly died the first time I beat it.

Very good OP by the way.

I liked 3rd Birthday enough, that I played through it twice. I know, crazy. I just viewed it as a straight up shooter and not necessarily a PE game.

Looks amazing on Vita too.

antitrop

The Third Birthday was the last game I ever bought for my PSP.

What a way to go out, I don't even think I played it for more than 45 minutes.

The Third Birthday was the last game I ever bought for my PSP.

What a way to go out, I don't even think I played it for more than 45 minutes.

Missed out on a great shooter with a zany story. It hurts though knowing that 3rd Birthday was running on the Type-0 engine, a sore reminder indeed.

I always liked PE1, sure there were better rpgs with much better systems, spells and effects but its shining points were its music, atmosphere, setting(the real nyc) and for the fact its one of the few horror based rpgs.
We need more of these!

agreed...

&, yes, this is how to do a 'rttp/lttp' thread - great op! :) ...

I only played the first game, but like you I was surprised at how much I loved it.

There aren't a lot of games I would bother beating twice, Parasite Eve was one of them.

I never played the sequel because I heard Shimomura didn't come back to do the soundtrack and that's just not right. Also because I heard they made it more like RE, which I'm not sure I want.
Yeah, the music in PEII isn't bad, but it's got nothing on Shimomura. They brought her back in for parts of the 3rd one though, and it's great.

Parasite Eve 1 is also noteworthy for having one of the most broken level-up mechanics in an RPG, especially coming out of SquareSoft.
From Level 37 to 38 it requires 185,888 experience points. From Level 38 to Level 39 it only requires 4,500 points and that trend continues all the way up to Level 99.

Forgot about this. Makes me want to go back to the Chrysler Building even more now, just to mess around w/this.

The third game is really a disaster. I can't really say the gameplay was anything good either. You have to rely on auto lock-on all of the time because of the awful camera and your dodge roll that makes the camera go haywire. All of the layers of depth of the past two games are flushed down the drain too : no PE powers, no equipment, no consumable, no status ailment and so on. You have that awful DNA board where you reroll again and again in hope you get a rare DNA and that is pretty much it.

There is a boss later on that have to beat using a really slow firing laser that cannot auto lock on and where the boss is really agile that truly shows how awful the controls and gameplay is.

Ammo is poorly balanced. So bad that they had to give you a pistol in unlimited ammo in one of your slot so that you were never out of ammo. I guess having enemies drop ammo like in most third party shooter wasn't cool enough for them.
I've heard the camera is really bad if you play it native on the PSP, but I didn't have any difficulties w/it on the Vita.

Agreed that the DNA board was a weak replacement, but I wasn't expecting anything great in the parasite powers department after the downgrade from PE to PEII. This is why I think it should have just been a new IP - the DNA board wasn't a horrible idea (my board was pretty useful by the end of the game and saved me from several bad scrapes) but compared to what's come before it in the series, it looks and plays pretty bad.

That Reaper battle was pretty frustrating, but it's really designed around the Overdive system, more than any other fight in the game I think. You have to overcome the Reaper's speed by shifting bodies every couple of seconds, not by resorting to the tried and true tactics of taking cover and aiming then ducking that the rest of the game relies on.

Didn't have any problems w/ammo personally. In fact, I never once used a handgun again after the tutorial level. I kept an eye on my ammo, and I overdived into someone new if it looked like I was running low, but I never once ran out.

I remember being super frustrated with that chase sequence after the last boss, because I took a wrong turn and promptly died the first time I beat it.

Very good OP by the way.
Yeah, running from that thing freaked me out and I definitely died a few times because I panicked. And thanks :)

So that means... that Cloud... was dressing up as Aya Brea to break into Don Corneo's mansion, a year before Parasite Eve even came out

You just blew my mind.
LOL amazing.

Chrysler building is definitely worth the trek, though the good stuff doesn't drop until arond halfway up the building, IIRC. PE1 being as short as it is really makes it the perfect game to replay on a whim. Absolutely love the weapon system, too.

Heh, brings back memories of grinding in the Museum of Natural History 'til I got to 38.

Tehalemi

I got into this series right after being introduced to RPG's in general playing FFVII, and it really was an all around intense and unique experience for me at the time. Definitely a series (I have never played 3rd Birthday, no PSP) that informed me how an RPG can be put together well and be fun. For the OP, not sure if your goal is to really do the Chrysler Building blind, but if you want a comprehensive walk-through within the labyrinth step by step check SlurpeetTigger's playthrough out:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL510D0B396E327AC5

The Chrysler Building bit starts at part 92 all the way to the last part. Previous parts obviously deal with him going through the story and lvl'ing. I highly recommend it if your one day trying to do a 100% playthrough. :) You also might want to either check gamefaqs or the Bradygames guide for some help. If your doing it cold turkey, then have fun. ;D

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
That awkward moment you realize she's just Cloud with a wig and breasts.

That enlightening moment where you realise you're awwwwright with that.

Just played and finished PE1 for the first time during Xmas, and I really liked it. Might play PE2 down the line, but I think I might do a replay of 1 first to make the ultimate pistol. Just wish you could skip the CG scenes on a replay; unfortunately, they're not as amusing as RE1 cutscenes so repeat viewings are not nearly as enjoyable.

Gambit

Parasite Eve would, in my opinion, be the best game to turn into a film.

It has a good setting, great set-pieces, the right amount of characters, and a story short enough to be told in film.

akaoni

Banned
I only played this game for the first time back in October is so but I dropped it out of the blue when I failed to beat a boss in the sewers you access from little China. The fight takes place on a couple subway tracks I think, and I couldn't seem to be able to beat the boss because I didn't have the bullets I needed, even relying on saving as many bullets as I could for those single super-charged shots you can do before I eventually died. I probably would've had to roll back saves. Any advice as to what I should do to get some ammo or what guns I should find to merge? I remember finding a grenade launcher (I honestly am I'm not sure) that I could've swapped with but decided to keep my older assault rifle type thing with a lot of upgrades. Just on the off chance anyone knows what I should do if I ever decide to pick it up again...

The game is quite a bit of fun and I always enjoyed survival horror games, though Parasite Eve isn't particularly scary, more like a Resident Evil with a lot more emphasis on the RPG type interface/gameplay and best of all -for an RPGish game - the battles don't feel random even when they do happen because they take place in the actual environments at designated encounters.

EDIT:
Well you would mean sequel, there is a parasite eve movie already http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119860/ the games serve as sequels.

I had no idea the series began as a novel, I'm tempted to pick it up. Might give me the motivation I need to get through the series, as I know I would like them if it wasn't for the little snag I hit.

Top Bottom