• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

tumblr_ln035wl2ty1qg0dcvo1_400.gif

tumblr_m4wmt5FU9y1qczibyo1_500.gif

tumblr_m47ls88BHk1qaxyx9o1_500.gif

tumblr_ncbfa0P30M1ttdkobo3_400.gif

e105zeta

Neo Member
I wish the Cryogonal comic was canon. That's the only thing that could make this Pokemon's flavor interesting. Huge moveset for a pure ice, though.

WarAdept

I love Cryogonal. Finally a speedy and fairly strong Ice Type (which should be most Ice types, since their weaknesses are too shoddy to be a good defensive type
LOOKING AT YOU AVALUGG <3
).

I've used it in a B/W run and Ice is just a useful type offensively overall in all the games. Put in work and Recover is always handy. Sure it's got 30 Base Def but it takes neutral special hits well and sending an Ice type against Rock and Fighting was already a death sentence anyway so I'm not bothered too much about it.

e105zeta

Neo Member
I think GameFreak's mistreatment of ice goes back to G1, where Frozen status was literally a death sentence, Blizzard had 90% accuracy with a 30% chance to Freeze.

Ever since then they piss on Ice without regarding all of the generations of nerfs to Blizzard and Frozen that have happened since then.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Cryogonal is an okay Pokémon pretty fast and can hit hard.

I think GameFreak's mistreatment of ice goes back to G1, where Frozen status was literally a death sentence, Blizzard had 90% accuracy with a 30% chance to Freeze.

Ever since then they piss on Ice without regarding all of the generations of nerfs to Blizzard and Frozen that have happened since then.

Considering out of all the status aliment the isn't a move that induce the freeze status, like how poison has toxic, I think that Game Freak is worried about making Ice type too broken like how they could have been back in gen 1.

However this isn't gen 1 anymore and I think that we can afford to give Ice type a buff or at least make them a glass cannon as they are not great defensively and never will be till they start resisting type that isn't Ice.

Thores

All I really want is for Ice to gain a resistance or two. I think Water makes sense as a resistance, for both fluff reasons, and because Water is a really good offensive type so I feel like that would be a balanced enough change. It hasn't happened as of Gen VI though, so I doubt it'll happen at all.

Water should be SE against Poison because water is the ultimate solvent

Also against Dragons because too much makes you choke

matter of fact, since water is required for everything, make Water SE against all types

water for king

Water should be SE against Poison because water is the ultimate solvent

Also against Dragons because too much makes you choke

matter of fact, since water is required for everything, make Water SE against all types

water for king

Water should be super effective against steel after 5 turns because at first it does nothing but then rust happens.

Xux

Cryogonal's okay in a "not bad" sort of way. Feels like a weird sort of third wheel to Solrock and Lunatone while missing some things that make them a pair kinda like a certain buffalo Pokemon coming up. Limbless but monstrous and spectral enough to make up for it. I kinda dig it in an abstract Final Fantasy monster sort of way.

Next Pokemon's goofy enough to be cool.

Both these dudes are super ugly and forgettable. Poor Ice. Who is the best non-legendary Ice type in terms of battle usage? Cloyster? They haven't made a good Ice Pokemon since CLOYSTER?

Late reply here but when neogaf had its gym league I did the ice gym. (Hence the avatar) it was pretty bad trying to find good ice types lol. Ultimately I ended up with:

Weavile
Cloyster
Rotom frost
Mamoswine
Abomasnow
Articuno

I always did double battles. I never brought Articuno or Abomasnow. I won half my battles for what it's worth. I gained a real appreciation for ice types, but yeah, they need a defensive buff.

Bladenic

Late reply here but when neogaf had its gym league I did the ice gym. (Hence the avatar) it was pretty bad trying to find good ice types lol. Ultimately I ended up with:

Weavile
Cloyster
Rotom frost
Mamoswine
Abomasnow
Articuno

I always did double battles. I never brought Articuno or Abomasnow. I won half my battles for what it's worth. I gained a real appreciation for ice types, but yeah, they need a defensive buff.

Why not bring Abomasnow for Snow Warning? Froslass would've been a good choice too.

Toxi

Banned

Weavile
Cloyster
Rotom frost
Mamoswine
Abomasnow
Articuno

When I was using an Ice type team in Pokemon Showdown's single type mode, Mamoswine basically carried the team.

Cryogonal confused the hell out of me when I first fought it. I expected it to be a slow tank like Bronzong. I was surprised at how fast it was and even more surprised at how it completely wilted against physical attacks.

ajim

In all my years of playin Pokémon (since red blue launch) I've never ever come across a proper shiny. Ever. Except for that red gyarados. But never in the wild.

And I've put in thousands upon thousands of hours across all the games.

So depressing :-(

Makonero

In all my years of playin Pokémon (since red blue launch) I've never ever come across a proper shiny. Ever. Except for that red gyarados. But never in the wild.

My first shinies were in X/Y thanks to the whole horde battle system. Shiny Axew and Gulpin. So hold out hope!

All these years of Pokemon and the only shinies I have are a bunch of event Pokemon (Pichu, Raikou, Suicune, Rayquaza, Metagross) and Gyarados. Oh, and a Bidoof from the DP GTS that is quite clearly hacked. And I guess Yvelta and Xerneas at the end of the month.

Never even seen a shiny in the wild, ever.

My brother plays Leaf Green. First Pokemon game of his life, a decade ago. Meets a shiny Geodude in Mt Moon within an hour and catches it.

Come on!

Then he meets a Shiny Rhyhorn in the Safari Zone, but misses it...

The only shiny I've found was the shiny Noctowl, the one Ash had. It was a pretty random encounter in X/Y

The other ones I have I got them trading and stuff.

I actually had several shinies back then on Ruby and Leaf Green, but I lost all of them. Zangoose, Meowth, Rattata and Sharpedo. Oof.

Found a shiny Magikarp, Abra, Deerling and Pidgey (just a few weeks ago) that I couldn't catch. Magikarp and the very recent Pidgey I missed because I didn't have any Poke Balls, Abra teleported and the Deerling killed itself from missing Jump Kick.

Right now, outside a dozen of Magikarps and a Sharpedo from chain fishing, my only legitimate shiny is...Seel in Heart Gold.

SEEL
GGPnIX2.png

(thats the shiny)

I found a shiny Ursaring in GS, and a shiny Zubat in....Leaf Green? Which I was quickly disappointing in when it turned into a Crobat. I was also traded a shiny Oddish and Venonat later on, but I think those are the extent of my (legal) shinies.

Shiny Machamp, btw, is the only green shiny I like because it gave me an excuse to name him "Ferrigno."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
First every shiny was a Doduo in Gold. Than I caught a shiny Numel in Ruby or Sapphire (I forget which).

I'm...not sure if I've ever caught one after that

Boogiepop

After a massive amount of time playing these games, I FINALLY got a shiny Mawile late in White 2. In thinking about it, I think considering when I got it, my first "natural" (ie non-chaining, trading, or fixed event) shiny popped up right at the end of when I could get one with the original rates.

Thanks to the increased rates in general, and then the further increase from hordes and friend safari, I got a few more from Y.

Personally, I prefer breeding shinies to catching them, unless they're legendaries(in which case I go for the IVs, not the shiny). Nice job to the guy though.

Wiped89

I've only caught two shinies ever; a red-tinged Zigzagoon while EV training in Sapphire (which has now made it alll the way to Alpha Sapphire through trading it through each gen, and is now Level 100!) and a shiny Munna I caught during my initial play through Black.

I haven't evolved Munna as he's green-y gold, but the evolution shiny doesn't look that different to me, swapping the pink and purple sections over, so I've kept it.

I've also got loads of shinies from Wonder Trade but I doubt many are legit so I don't count them (Pikachu, Arceus, Diancie, Scrafty, Mudkip, Gyarados, Magikarp).

MANUELF

Banned
While playing Y normally I got a shiny machop and shiny smeargle, in friend safari i have got a shiny Chansey, TWO shiny Audinos and a shiny Eevee

Koh

I feel like shiny pokemon could use a bit more effort. Most of them (particularly the older ones) just have a color filter over the normal and even some of the new ones are almost impossible to differentiate.

I wish they embraced it a bit more and made them truly unique and immediately recognizable. Maybe even take it a step further and randomize some colors so my shiny could have red features while yours have blue.

I feel like shiny pokemon could use a bit more effort. Most of them (particularly the older ones) just have a color filter over the normal and even some of the new ones are almost impossible to differentiate.

I wish they embraced it a bit more and made them truly unique and immediately recognizable. Maybe even take it a step further and randomize some colors so my shiny could have red features while yours have blue.

but i thought everyone loved green

Mr-Joker

Banned
I chained fish for a shiny Clauncher...it was boring and the worse part I could like watch a video on the side as you need to be focus otherwise you won't fish up a Pokémon because "you reeled it in to slow." ¬_¬;

EndMerit

Maaaan, I found my first ever wild shiny 'mon earlier today, and it was a Zigzagoon. What am I supposed to do with that, trade it to lvl 5 Arceus in GTS?

Why not bring Abomasnow for Snow Warning? Froslass would've been a good choice too.

I bred a perfect Froslass and tried to use it on the team. There just wasn't any synergy. Aside from the fighting immunity and potential for destiny bond, Froslass just didn't bring anything to the table that the others didn't have.

I tried using Abomasnow snow warning with snow cloak ability but it was too luck based. Abomasnow is also slow as fuck and has a ton of weaknesses. Add to the fact that my whole team was ice, I didn't have any good switch ins.

Ultimately, Weavile and Cloyster worked well together. Fake out + shell smash did wonders for me. Also Rotom Frost discharge + Mamoswine eq was a great combo.

When your entire team shares 4 common type weaknesses and basically no resistances, you have to come up with a lot of creative ways to win. I'm sure there were other things I could have done but those 4 really brought it home for me a lot.

Edit: Scizor was actually the hardest thing I had to counter. I went so far as to specifically breed my Rotom frost to have hidden power fire with an expert belt for a ~98% - ~106% chance of ohko. Choice band bullet punch Scizor can die in a fire.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
mEcGyz4.png

#618 - Stunfisk
Ground/Electric

I activate the Trap Pokemon, Stunfisk! Like Cryogonal here's another odd single-stage Unova Pokemon, though this one is a bit more interesting due to being the only Ground/Electric Pokemon in the series---and you know I love those "antithesis Type combinations". Stunfisk can be found around Icirrus City in puddles in every season except Winter, due to them becoming frozen over, though you can still obtain one during the coldest of seasons through Surfing or Fishing. It's another Pokemon most players will probably skip over when constructing their team due to not evolving, but it has its niche in the lower tiers of the competitive scene due to having a host of status-causing moves like Discharge and Toxic, as well as access to the always useful Stealth Rock. Outside of its low Attack and poor Speed all of its stats are fairly decent, with its bulk providing it some lasting power, though unfortunately Ground/Electric comes with a whole bunch of common weaknesses to Ice, Grass, Water, and Ground which does hurt its role as a utility Pokemon. During Black and White it actually found some use in Ubers too as a counter to Pokemon like Arceus and Deoxys, but not as a major component that all teams should carry. Finally as of X and Y one of its Abilities, Limber, has become completely redundant since Electric-type Pokemon are now naturally immune to paralysis---might Stunfisk get an Ability in Sun and Moon to replace this which could end up being a major boon in terms of competitive viability? Or will Game Freak never get around to correcting this issue. We will see.

Stunfisk could be compared to the Tympole line as its "brother in arms" (or lack thereof) when it comes to being a Pokemon with unorthodox popularity, back when Black and White was first released it also ranked highly in a poll done by a Japanese magazine and since then has become a "memetic" Pokemon who people either love or hate for the exact same reason---it's goofy looking as shit and totally has a troll face going on. Like many other such quirky Pokemon its popularity seems to be bigger in Japan, where it received a bunch of merchandise around its debut in the show including Stunfisk slippers, though unlike some other Japanese-popular Pokemon that Western fans hates such as Vanilluxe even people across the pond seem to generally like this dude. In Black 2 and White 2 it got a slightly larger role referencing this popularity as whole group of them can be seen flopping around Striaton City garden during the summer nights, a very majestic sight indeed. And while most Pokemon got downgraded appearances come XY, or so most would say, Stunfisk looks amazing since it's now a perfectly flat model that you can barely see when the camera is pointed at it head on.

I recall Stunfisk is another Pokemon that received a Type change during development, Game Freak mentioning in one of their Gen V interviews that originally it was going to be Water/Electric---like Lanturn---but was changed around, I believe because they wanted to have a new Type combination and Water had been a bit overplayed. I'm glad they did this, as Stunfisk is another example of Game Freak realizing a fish-based Pokemon doesn't necessarily have to be a Water-type, and unlike Tynamo they actually let it inhabit watery areas instead of making it some weird floating creature. Though the most nitpicky of fans will get upset because it lives in water yet is weak to Water (ludo-narrative dissonance!), such fans should be ignored as in this case I'll gladly overlook a gameplay inconsistency in favor of spicing things up. Stunfisk draws inspiration from various types of flatfish but mainly seems to be based upon the stargazer, a strange-looking fish with an upward-facing mouth and eyes which buries itself under sand while waiting for prey---they're also venomous, and some species can utilize electricity to shock prey as well. There's even a few varieties which utilize a lure, and perhaps Stunfisk was going to have such a lure back when it seemed to be an updated version of Lanturn. Anyway, as the Trap Pokemon, Stunfisk loves waiting for people to step on it so it can shock them---it just seems to really enjoy doing this for whatever reason. Though it appears to have an exclamation mark on its back, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the mark of a shoe since it's always stepped on. This also basically makes Stunfisk quite literally a sole fish, a term often used to refer to various species of flat fish which Stunfisk resembles. Love this guy.

Stunfisk appeared in the anime as a henchmen of Ash's eventual Palpitoad, his boss hiring him to attack Ash and Oshawott for intruding in their territory. Stunfisk ended up being caught by Cilan alongside Ash catching Palpitoad in one of the strangest ways possible---he defeated Stunfisk by fishing it out and then was able to catch it without an actual Pokemon battle. Stunfisk pretty much only had two major battles in the show---one against a Bug/Fire Pokemon in the Club Tournament Arc where it lost, but not before showcasing the impressive ability to fly, and a short battle in the World Tournament Junior Cup where it quickly took out a Cinccino with Sludge Bomb. Otherwise it got a decent amount of minor appearances, especially compared to Palpitoad, and unlike Palpitoad actually got to somewhat keep its mischievous nature---though it does really irk me the two were never seen together ever again despite being introduce alongside one another and probably being friends and all. Despite its lack of major presence in the actual show around Best Wishes 2 it began to appear more and more alongside Cilan in the Openings and Endings, even overshadowing Pansage, and sort of became his "mascot Pokemon" in a way.

Top Bottom