• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's no evolutionary family without a single plush, but there are a few evolved Pokemon without plush forms - due to the increasing complexity of their designs, I'd imagine.

Now I'm curious which ones are. I mean, even big legendaries got plushies!

I miss Oak's corner, they replaced with something lame.

Nah, PokeTV gave us "how long does Greninja's tongue go". That already tops Oak's segment.

tumblr_m7krgwfHX71rzsfkvo1_500.gif

e765b0e8473a71d0e555f4e2db8ebf63a08b8a1d_hq.gif

tumblr_n8k3g1dLsq1rpgpivo1_400.gif

6d7.gif

e105zeta

Neo Member
Now I'm curious which ones are. I mean, even big legendaries got plushies!

It seems like primarily (and surprisingly) the non-anthropomorphic Genwun Pokemon are the biggest losers in this category. Especially the reviled mult-headed Pokemon, complex arthropods, mechanical Pokemon, or ones with "stringy" long bodies like Bellsprout.

Off the top of my head, I know Muk never got an official plush and Grimer got a single really rare one only available through the Pokemon Center. I also can't find any official plush for either Doduo Or Dodrio, so maybe "all families" have plushes might be incorrect - unless they were super rare.

Others from a cursory internet search: Ratatta and Raticate, Kakuna and Beedrill, Bellsprout and Victreebel (the only official Weepinbel was a happy meal-style plush in Europe), the entire Magnemite line, Shellder and Cloyster, Scyther, Ledian, Ariados, Chinchou and Lanturn (!), Pineco and Forretress, Steelix, Stantler.

I don't think it was until the Pokemon Center stores opened up in Japan that there was a push to plushify all Pokemon and it seems mostly limited to Pokemon released AFTER the Centers were opened. I can't find a Unova or Kalos Pokemon that either doesn't have a plush or has one planned. But tons from G1 and G2 don't have any, and quite a lot from G3 to boot.

I'm super surprised Magnezone never got a plush form.

I remember a joke calling Mienfoo "Winnie the Foo," but I honestly don't remember having any trouble using this line in my playthrough.

431px-MienfooNextDestinies67.jpg

434px-MienshaoFuriousFists57.jpg

Sterok

Mienshao is amazing. One of my favorite competitive mons to use, even if it isn't that amazing overall. Hi Jump Kick hits like a truck even without Reckless, and U-turn Regenerator keeps alive for quite awhile, even if Mienshao has a Life Orb.

JGCD

Neo Member
Is it weird that i don't mind the late evo levels?
Kinda reminds me alot of the show and always gives me something to look forwards to do post-game

WarAdept

I adore Mienshao's artwork pose. The lines and silhouette of it is beautiful and elegant.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet unfortunately. One day. I do remember Marshall's being a scary mofo if I didn't outspeed it and OHKO it.

Boss Doggie

It seems like primarily (and surprisingly) the non-anthropomorphic Genwun Pokemon are the biggest losers in this category. Especially the reviled mult-headed Pokemon, complex arthropods, mechanical Pokemon, or ones with "stringy" long bodies like Bellsprout.

Off the top of my head, I know Muk never got an official plush and Grimer got a single really rare one only available through the Pokemon Center. I also can't find any official plush for either Doduo Or Dodrio, so maybe "all families" have plushes might be incorrect - unless they were super rare.

Others from a cursory internet search: Ratatta and Raticate, Kakuna and Beedrill, Bellsprout and Victreebel (the only official Weepinbel was a happy meal-style plush in Europe), the entire Magnemite line, Shellder and Cloyster, Scyther, Ledian, Ariados, Chinchou and Lanturn (!), Pineco and Forretress, Steelix, Stantler.

I don't think it was until the Pokemon Center stores opened up in Japan that there was a push to plushify all Pokemon and it seems mostly limited to Pokemon released AFTER the Centers were opened. I can't find a Unova or Kalos Pokemon that either doesn't have a plush or has one planned. But tons from G1 and G2 don't have any, and quite a lot from G3 to boot.

I'm super surprised Magnezone never got a plush form.

they should rectify that magnemite issue, especially when it's the meme mon in Japan next to xatu/natu

Bladenic

I always wanted to use Mienshao but that high evolution level is a huge turnoff, especially when you could've gotten Conkeldurr, Sawk, or Throh way before.

Will always look at Mienfoo like a massively slimmed down martial artist Winnie the Pooh, possibly just because I could call it Mienpoo.
I am the height of maturity.

Jay RaR

Never used Mienshao during a playthrough, but it is pretty amazing competitively.

Great abilities, great move selection, and nice speed. Shame it evolves pretty late and it is quite frail.

CazTGG

It's Winnie Mienfoo, Winnie Mienfoo, Winnie Minefoo.

I really like this line, both in terms of visual design and usage. It's certainly frail for a Fighting-type but wow does it hit hard and fast, especially with a massive movepool. Also: Using it as a special attacker may leave it outclassed by the likes of Lucario but it's a neat surprise for those expecting the typical High Jump Kick spam.

brinstar

Yeah, I ran into Mienfoo's bizarre evolution level requirement when I caught one in Y. I was using it for a while and for kicks I decided to check to see when it evolves and was appalled when I saw the number and threw it in the box.

CassSept

This thread moves so fast, I can't catch up and I missed my chance to talk about the GOAT. Yes, GOAT. Chandelure. So damn good. So damn powerful. Such cool typing. OK maybe it's not THE GOAT but it's Top 5 Pokemon of all time. The complete package. Mega Chandelure will ascend this mortal plane and bring peace and justice to the world.

Others? Haxorus is a pretty damn cool line. Fraxure is weird but both Axew and Haxorus look great, Haxorus is among the best dragons in the series.

I never minded Cubchoo's snot but seeing it animated it's wrong. Beartic's just ugly. Cryogonal is bizarre and... umm, it's hard to call it forgettable, but it's just so out of nowhere and unconnected to anything.

Stunfisk's great. I hated it at first but it's another 'mon that's really sold a) in motion b) it's 3D model.

Mienfoo/shao is just wholly forgettable. I keep mistaking it for Fighting/Psychic for some reason, I don't know. Maybe Fighting/Ice would have been decent? As it stands, it might just as well not exist.

Xux

Stunfisk is so goofy that I like it a little. Fish Pokemon that aren't water-type always get extra points.

Mienfoo and Mienshao are pretty damn awesome. I'd say they're my favorite fighting types and one of my favorite Pokemon alongside Carracosta and Mismagius. My Mienshao in White 2 just wrecks; Drain Punch
I'm not a fan of Jump Kick and High Jump Kick's abyssmal accuracy
with Big Root and U-Turn with Regenerator make it last quite awhile.

Next Pokemon's easily the best Dragon-type.

Stunfisk is so goofy that I like it a little. Fish Pokemon that aren't water-type always get extra points.

Mienfoo and Mienshao are pretty damn awesome. I'd say they're my favorite fighting types and one of my favorite Pokemon alongside Carracosta and Mismagius. My Mienshao in White 2 just wrecks; Drain Punch
I'm not a fan of Jump Kick and High Jump Kick's abyssmal accuracy
with Big Root and U-Turn with Regenerator make it last quite awhile.

Next Pokemon's easily the best Dragon-type.

High jump kick has 90% accuracy. That's not abysmal.

Macka

Rejoice! We're so close to being free from the cesspool that is Gen V, and into the warm embrace of the generally phenomenal Kalos native dex.

Although to be fair some of the best Gen V designs are coming up soon.

GoldStarz

Rejoice! We're so close to being free from the cesspool that is Gen V, and into the warm embrace of the generally phenomenal Kalos native dex.

Although to be fair some of the best Gen V designs are coming up soon.

Oh joy we're going from the best dex to the most... Mixed... And smallest.

Yeah it's clear that Unova Pokémon where given high evolution level because of the exp formula was changed in gen 5 but Game Freak failed to realise that it would screw them over in future gen when the exp formula was changed once again.

Well can't they just change it for later games?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, she has claws?! I didn't know that. o_O;

Also despite me being disappointed by gen 6 the Pokémon model was one of the thing that impressed me.

0.o

The PokeDex does say it has claws, but I always thought they were implied to be on its paws but never shown for stylistic sake---don't think the claws ever popped up in the show.

Wiped89

Mienfoo/shao is just wholly forgettable. I keep mistaking it for Fighting/Psychic for some reason, I don't know. Maybe Fighting/Ice would have been decent? As it stands, it might just as well not exist.

You aren't the only one! I always think it is fighting/psychic too. I think it's the purple colour and streamlined look. Maybe I'm just thinking of Medicham.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well can't they just change it for later games?

No then otherwise it will get confusing and inconsistent between generation to generation.

Heck with Feebas they just added a new evolution method via the Marvel Scale but they didn't remove the original method to evolve her so a Feebas with a high beauty stats will still evolve into a Milotic.

0.o

The PokeDex does say it has claws, but I always thought they were implied to be on its paws but never shown for stylistic sake---don't think the claws ever popped up in the show.

Yeah, it just goes to show the level of details that Game Freak put into the Pokémon.

WPS

0.o

There's actually quite a ton of pokémon with retractable claws in XY. Meowth, Entei, Shinx (and its adorable), Luxio, Glameow, Purugly, Purloin, Litleo and Pyroar all have them.

I really like the animations in XY*. I know a lot of people prefer the stadium ones, but I always felt they were way too overboard, and XY has a lot of easter eggs in them, such as pokémon pulling their sugimori art pose when attacking, or Gengar having its classic scratch from the original intro.

Edit: *perma-gliding aside.

I'll give you the Blaziken one, but Mewtwo's Sugimori pose is just a pose Mewtwo has been making since Red/Green.

He did it in Stadium. He does it in Smash. He even did it in the movie.

200px-Mewtwo-Victory1-SSBM.gif
200px-MewtwoPose2WiiU.gif
(this is just a remake of his Melee animation)
JV4Z1Hr.png

Spr_2g_150.png

latest

e105zeta

Neo Member

The focus on sky battles in XY was hilarious considering how much they half-assed flying Pokemon animations.

"Wings open = perpetual hovering."

"Sorry, this Flying-type bird Pokemon can't compete in Sky battles because we animated it standing. Lulz."

Mr-Joker

Banned
There's actually quite a ton of pokémon with retractable claws in XY. Meowth, Entei, Shinx (and its adorable), Luxio, Glameow, Purugly, Purloin, Litleo and Pyroar all have them.

I really like the animations in XY*. I know a lot of people prefer the stadium ones, but I always felt they were way too overboard, and XY has a lot of easter eggs in them, such as pokémon pulling their sugimori art pose when attacking, or Gengar having its classic scratch from the original intro.

I really hope that perma-gliding is gone in Sun and Moon.

The focus on sky battles in XY was hilarious considering how much they half-assed flying Pokemon animations.

"Sorry, this Flying-type bird Pokemon can't compete in Sky battles because we animated it standing. Lulz."

And then the Hoenn remake is"ah fuck it we will make it that all Pokémon can take part in the sky battle when soaring." ¬_¬;

Boss Doggie

Salamence works though. It's a glider and a Devilman reference.

Xatu makes sense too, totempole Pokemon after all.

I don't the problem with Scyther?

Now the real offender are Taillow and Tropius.

I wasn't aware totem poles are known for their gliding

I was under the impression they stick into the ground and stand straight up like they had done for 15 years prior.

Top Bottom