• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I used a Stunfisk on my Y team and he was a troll as he would either poison, paralyse the foe, burn them or surprise them with the quick claw activating and use Earthqake. He was also bulky so he took hits well so his slow speed didn't bother me.

I love Agyo the Stunfisk, thank goodness for Kalos two new electric line being so meh otherwise I wouldn't have used him.

Finally as of X and Y one of its Abilities, Limber, has become completely redundant since Electric-type Pokemon are now naturally immune to paralysis---might Stunfisk get an Ability in Sun and Moon to replace this which could end up being a major boon in terms of competitive viability? Or will Game Freak never get around to correcting this issue. We will see.

I am just hoping that they give him Water Absorb, it would get rid of his water weakness leaving him with Grass, Ground and Ice weakness.

tumblr_mnn5d8LvTQ1qckwxco1_500.gif

tumblr_mnyegdmspA1rrkoj1o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lme6hoKPot1qzkk37o1_500.gif

tumblr_mnn6c9qmeT1qckwxco1_500.gif

Macka

Stunfisk is like a new age Magikarp, in that it's hilariously pathetic in a really endearing way.

Cryogonal on the other hand is weird looking in a bad way. Forgettable design at best.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
when someone tells you that stunfisk is a shit pokemon, tell that that pokemon laughs while swimming in dollar bills

tumblr_m336vc3Heu1r8oe2eo1_500.jpg

e105zeta

Neo Member
mEcGyz4.png

Though the most nitpicky of fans will get upset because it lives in water yet is weak to Water (ludo-narrative dissonance!), such fans should be ignored as in this case I'll gladly overlook a gameplay inconsistency in favor of spicing things up.

They should replace Limber with Storm Drain, Water Absorb, or Dry Skin.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
ONLY 100 MORE TO GO (since we already did Sylveon)

BUEzCJI.png

#619 - Mienfoo
Fighting

Mienfoo in my opinion is the first Pokemon that pops into my mind when I think of Generation V and its bizarre evolutionary levels---in Black and White this makes sense, you won't find Mienfoo until around the 7th Gym so having it evolve at Level 50 works there, but the issue with this becomes clear in XY where Mienfoo can be caught before the 2nd Gym. Sure, it's become easier to level up your Pokemon nowadays thanks to O-Powers and EXP. For All, but you'll basically be stuck with a fairly average unevolved Pokemon for quite awhile, and I don't know why Game Freak didn't just have Mienfoo appear a bit earlier in Black and White, perhaps putting its evolution around the 7th Gym instead, so it wouldn't be stuck with such a ridiculously high level of evolution. This also means most folks when playing Black and White won't use it due to the fact it appears too late and evolves too late, as it's far easier to stick with Timburr or Scraggy who end up with basically the same stats yet evolve into their final forms far earlier. Mienfoo isn't all that exciting either, a pure-Fighting Type who is kind of similar to Riolu and Lucario in terms of its stats and ability to use Aura Sphere---this means most folks will also skip over it in XY even though it can now be obtained earlier because the superior Lucario is given away for free shortly after.

This is a pretty odd Pokemon in my opinion, normally I love Fighting-type Pokemon---Emboar, Conkeldurr, Scrafty, and Sawk and Throh are all top-tier if you ask me---but Mienfoo just doesn't do it for me. I remember when I first saw its sprite I was taken aback because it really doesn't look like a Pokemon to me for some reason, a lot of Generation V Pokemon had that effect on me at first but eventually I grew to like them overtime thanks to seeing their official art and watching them in the show. Not the case with Mienfoo, to this day every time I look at it I have trouble picturing it hanging out with other Pokemon and still see it as a weird-looking Winnie the Pooh. And there's nothing about its design that I can point to and say "that doesn't agree with me" like I can with Beartic, the whole Pokemon just irks me for reasons unknown. I don't think I'm alone on this either because I very rarely see people bring up this Pokemon as a favorite of theirs, or really bring it up at all. Its evolution is a bit more popular, but this guy is the definition of forgettable.

Anyway, Mienfoo is yet another Mustelid Pokemon following in the footsteps of Quilava, Furret, Sneasel, and Oshawott, among others, specifically it appears to be a stoat---otherwise known as the "short-tailed weasel" due to having a more visible tail compared to the majority of weasels who basically have a stump. Also it's a Shaolin Monk complete with those dots like Krillin has (marks made by incense burners) and its fur giving it the appearance of wearing a Shaolin-style robe. Who knows why Game Freak decided to mix these two concepts together, I don't quite know myself, but I guess it works sort of. This line in my opinion really should've been Fighting/Ice to help it stand out, it makes a lot of sense if you break it down. Stoats are known for their winter coats. Shaolin Monks train atop mountains and thus are used to dealing with cold temperatures. Mienfoo appears in the colder areas of Unova right around the Ice-type Gym, not to mention it would've made the perfect signature Pokemon for Brycen over Beartic due to the two of them sharing a martial arts theme. It also would've made a nice counterpart to Sneasel this way, both of them being Ice-type weasels with their secondary Types opposing one another. Game Freak dropped the ball here if you ask me, and what we ended up with was one of Unova's most forgettable fighters.

Mienfoo had a brief appearance in Best Wishes in the first Cubchoo filler under the ownership of a Mountain Ranger---named Cliff. Mienfoo didn't do too much here, and all of its appearances in the rest of Best Wishes were very small cameos. In XY though it appeared under the ownership of Korrina in her Gym Battle with Ash, battling against his Hawlucha. At first Ash was on the losing end due to trying to defeat Korrina by adopting another Trainer's strategy---specifically Tierno's "dance battling"---but Ash eventually realized copying another person's strategy, much less Tierno's of all people, was a horrible idea and was able to win once he went back to using his tried-and-true "headstrong" style.

uvIluXH.png

#620 - Mienshao
Fighting

At Level 50 Mienfoo finally evolves into Mienshao. As I said before this Pokemon is quite similar to Lucario in terms of stats, a mixed attacker with less-than-average defenses. Compared to Lucario it has less bulk, and not as many resistances since it isn't part-Steel, but has higher Attack and is quite fast. Despite its frailty it's a pretty interesting Pokemon for a few reasons, one of them being the Ability Regenerator which helps it get around passive damage as well as reducing the risk of using its most powerful STAB, High Jump Kick. On the other hand if you go with Reckless you'll end up with one of the strongest STAB Fighting-type moves in the entire game when using High Jump Kick, but with all the risk in-tact which means one unlucky miss could completely ruin things for you. Its third Ability, Inner Focus, also prevents flinching. Though it isn't the best Fighting-type introduced in Generation V, it's made a decent name for itself despite being---in my opinion---a pretty average-looking family and I recall, though I don't know the specifics, it's seen some popularity in the VGC scene over the years as well. Still, I stand by my claim that Fighting/Ice would've been a pretty rad combination with Mienshao's stats giving it STAB coverage on Dragon, Flying, Grass, Ground, Dark, Ice, Normal, Rock, and Steel.

Sometimes I wonder if this line was inspired by the Kung Fu Panda series, I mean looking at these two you could easily see them fitting in one of those films with Mienshao looking like it'd be the perfect "villainess-turned-love-interest" voiced by, like, Jennifer Lawrence. Mienshao is basically a master monk stoat and its fur has turned white, like a stoat's winter coat, with part of it flowing over its claws which it can use as makeshift whips. The fur-sleeves also resemble "water sleeves" used by dancers in traditional Chinese opera and it's a pretty majestic and graceful looking Pokemon which has won it a lot of fans. Some weird. Even though it basically has a mustache throughout the years I've seen some, uh, interesting depictions of this Pokemon and a certain subset of the Pokemon fandom really seems to like it for more than simply being a good battler. Looking at its stats, usage in the competitive scene, and furry popularity one could say that Mienshao totally overshadows Zoroark when it comes to serving as the Generation V Lucario. The only flaw in this is that Game Freak themselves don't really seem to pay much attention to this Pokemon, but it's one I could see receiving a surprise Mega Evolution in the future giving its popularity a much needed boost to push it into the mainstream.

This guy didn't get too much time in the spotlight in Best Wishes though, its most notable appearance was a small role in the Clubsplosion Arc under the ownership of a minor Trainer named Delbert who was, quite fittingly, a monk. Though it's a Pokemon known for its speed it was no match against last year's winner, Throh, and its skilled evasive capabilities and powerful throws. Its only other appearances of note was being used by a random Trainer who battled against Shamus---the former owner of Ash's Tepig---and lost and during the Team Plasma arc being used by Colress to test out his Pokemon manipulation machine.

e105zeta

Neo Member
There was an interview with Nintendo Dream (now probably gone) that admitted that Mienshao and Basculin were both after-thoughts in the development process. Basculin because Unova was bereft of fish and water types and Mienshao because Unova was low on Fighting-types. And it kind of shows, but I really like Mienshao despite that.

It is kind of weird how much love Mienshao gets compared to how little merchandise, the anime, and GameFreak regard it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mienfoo is one the of the Pokémon that I really want to use on my team but the fact that she evolves so late really hurts her chance as I have used two other Unova Pokémon who evolve late and I was stuck their first stage and they didn't get to shine till the end of the game.

For me to use Mienfoo on my team she would need to either appear in a region that is really big that her evolving late won't matter or she gets a split evolution allowing me to evolve her quicker.

If only she was a 3 stage Pokémon then her levels wouldn't be that much of a pain.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Mien shao was an absolute monster on my team. I dont remember it evolving so late though. Make it wear a choice scarf and it just wrecks fools like bruce lee.

Spyware

Mienfoo is way too weak to have that late of an evolution. It annoys me greatly since I lost my Mienfoo in the latest locke and I was sooo looking forward to using Mienshao. I just love that sassy looking mon!

I mean it shares it's stat total with things that evole around level 30 ffs!

Mienshao is pretty great with High Jump Kick + Regenerator. Nice attack and speed. Shame that shao is fragile and doesn't have many options for a moveset/item.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mienfoo is way too weak to have that late of an evolution. It annoys me greatly since I lost my Mienfoo in the latest locke and I was sooo looking forward to using Mienshao. I just love that sassy looking mon!

I mean it shares it's stat total with things that evole around level 30 ffs!

Yeah it's clear that Unova Pokémon where given high evolution level because of the exp formula was changed in gen 5 but Game Freak failed to realise that it would screw them over in future gen when the exp formula was changed once again.

gardfish

It's really just these later parts of the Unova dex that have ridiculous evolution levels. I had thought before that it was a more widespread problem, but looking back at how Gen I-IV Pokemon evolved, they're more or less the same. Lots of 2-stage families evolving in the late 30s or early 40s, only really going higher than that when there's something special about them. That said, evolving at level 50 is totally bananas, and in general the remaining few families have the same problem--I wanted to try using a Vullaby in one of my ongoing game replays, but no matter what it wasn't going to evolve until nearly the end of the game. Hell, I think on my first playthrough of White I beat the final boss with a still-unevolved Rufflet. I doubt anyone would complain if some of these evolution levels were "nerfed" a little.

On the actual topic of Mienfoo and Mienshao, these guys are pretty cool, and if not for the aforementioned evolution problem I'd like to try them out. I like how graceful Mienshao looks, I think there aren't enough Fighting-types that have that kind of elegance in movement--everything else that I can think of just fights with brute force.

Like other people have said, I want to use this line in a future run but it's ridiculous evolution level requirement is holding me back. Hoping in gen 7 they reduce the level required to evolve a bunch of gen 5 Pokemon. Move Mienfoo's down to around the high 30's or low 40's and I'll try using one in a playthrough.

PK Gaming

I had like half an hour's worth of stuff written for mons but my computer crashed so I lost it :')

Anyway here we go! Working my way backwards

Re: Mienshao

AND EVERYONE WAS KUNG-FU-FIGHTING, the Pokemon. Mienshao pretty cool; it's got the long cloak, kung-fu master vibe down to pat, and it's a pretty good Pokemon. Seriously, I remember being dumb-founded by how strong this thing was (Choice Band Reckless Hi Jump Kick OHKOes Skarmory after Stealth Rock... what). I see it as the fighting counterpart of Zoroark, so it gets extra points for that. Needs a Mega Evolution, stat.

Re: Stunfish

Hate, hate, hate this thing. Looks horrendous, way overrated, annoying to fight and just an affront to Electric-types everywhere. Abomination.

Re: Cryogonal

The way it's designed, it really should have been part ghost, because goddamn this thing gives me chills. On the competitive front it's pretty decent. Deceptively fast, has Rapid spin and can hit pretty hard.

Re: Beartic

Canada's greatest is here. GF really needs to stop creating Ice-types with low Speed since that joke is getting old. I dig its design, but I wish it was designed better on the gameplay front.

Re: Haxorus

I should just commit account suicide right now. How the FUCK did I miss Haxorus, aka one of my all time favs, aka I wrote like every goddamn Haxorus analysis on Smogon lmao. Haxorus wasn't just great as a Pokemon, but as an experience too. Pre-release, everyone was calling it the next "Garchomp" and instantly assuming it would be banned. Well when it came out, it turns out that having 97 base Speed and low bulk meant that you'd get your ass beat by faster Pokemon. But still, in Gen V Haxorus wasn't a Pokemon you wanted to fuck with. I actually made a team around it and everyone on the ladder copied it, haha. But whatever this section is too long as is. Haxorus is COOL as heck and I am TIRED of the fact that it doesn't have a mega evolution. Bless me Gamefreak. No more Mega Audinos. No more half measures.

Re: Chandelure

The Haxorus of ghost types. Incredible design, and instead of giving it some lame stat spread like 50/70/70/100/80/60 they went ALL IN with that special attack and it paid off. Chandelure is really fun to use, and I remember dreading the day they'd release shadow tag. It was like waiting for an execution. Good thing it turned out okay in the end!

Re: Eelektross

An interesting Pokemon with unique ability and amazing movepool ruined by Gamefreaks fetish for giving Pokemon low Speed. Shame since Eelektross is legitimately fun to use.

Re: Beheeyem

ANOTHER POKEMON with low Speed what the flip Gamefreak. At least this one was somewhat designed around it due to Analytic. Choice Specs boosted Analytic Psychic hits extremely hard so underestimate this thing at your peril.

Re: Klingklang

Wannabee Magneton with a crappy design. Emphasis on wannabee since, Klingklang likes to pretend its an electric-type with that movepool. Anyway, this Pokemon is especially frustrating because it's actually well designed on the gameplay front. I really wish it had a better design / was part electric.

Eh i'll cover the rest later

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's really just these later parts of the Unova dex that have ridiculous evolution levels. I had thought before that it was a more widespread problem, but looking back at how Gen I-IV Pokemon evolved, they're more or less the same. Lots of 2-stage families evolving in the late 30s or early 40s, only really going higher than that when there's something special about them. That said, evolving at level 50 is totally bananas, and in general the remaining few families have the same problem--I wanted to try using a Vullaby in one of my ongoing game replays, but no matter what it wasn't going to evolve until nearly the end of the game. Hell, I think on my first playthrough of White I beat the final boss with a still-unevolved Rufflet. I doubt anyone would complain if some of these evolution levels were "nerfed" a little.

On the actual topic of Mienfoo and Mienshao, these guys are pretty cool, and if not for the aforementioned evolution problem I'd like to try them out. I like how graceful Mienshao looks, I think there aren't enough Fighting-types that have that kind of elegance in movement--everything else that I can think of just fights with brute force.

I used a Rufflet in my Black and a Pawniard in my Black 2 team, Rufflet didn't evolve till route 10 and Pawniard didn't evolve till I got to Route 23, so I was stuck with two weak Pokémon on my team and I couldn't enjoy them throughout my adventure because they evolved long after the story was over.

Braviary at least had the Team Plasma story at the league but Bisharp was only used in the league and I wasn't sure about his role on the team because I never got a chance to test out his new strength so he wasn't used much.

As a result I made a new rule that if Pokémon will not evolve before the final gym badge then they will not join the team unless I plan to use them unevolved or as a reserve.

The only exception is Dragonite as I used him in gen 2 and that's in the post game, meaning my Johto team were fully evolved long before I did the league.

Honestly I feel sorry for anyone who wanted to use Hydreigon in the story but was unable to, which is why he will never join my team unless Game Freak gives the player a low level one in the wild.

Top Bottom