• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4090 12VHPWR cable appears to be very dangerous

OZ9000

Banned
Isn't this guy famous for fear mongering and shitty takes?

Is he legit this time?
He does fear monger but in this instance we have a confirmed report as per the reddit post. This is a good video regardless because he's right on this instance.

Frankly, I don't think it is worth the risk burning down your PC when Nvidia have opted for such a shitty connector.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Something happened to that one person, quickly let's make a drama filled click-bait YouTube video while it's hot!
Social Media Comedy GIF by CBS

YCoCg

Something happened to that one person, quickly let's make a drama filled click-bait YouTube video while it's hot!
In the video he shows proof from Nvidia highlighting melting connectors as an issue, Nvidia isn't responsible for this connector type, they just adapted it first, it's PCI-SIG who created it with Intel. The video also shows Discord chats with Johnny Guru who has said they've had to replace melted connectors multiple times during testing. And now there's this user from Reddit who was using it for gaming when the issue happened.

OZ9000

Banned
Herein lies the problem. Bending the connector = bad. At a minimum, you need 35mm bend clearance to facilitate a safe connection.

However, to fit the GPU in your case, you have to bend the connector. No case on the market allows you to bend with a 35mm clearance.

qHqqjhq.png

Did Nvidia only test this power connector on an open air bench?

GymWolf

He does fear monger but in this instance we have a confirmed report as per the reddit post. This is a good video regardless because he's right on this instance.

Frankly, I don't think it is worth the risk burning down your PC when Nvidia have opted for such a shitty connector.
So what is the solution??

And is this problem only relative to 4090?

kiphalfton

Herein lies the problem. Bending the connector = bad. At a minimum, you need 35mm bend clearance to facilitate a safe connection.

However, to fit the GPU in your case, you have to bend the connector. No case on the market allows you to bend with a 35mm clearance.

qHqqjhq.png

Did Nvidia only test this power connector on an open air bench?

That's the dumb thing.

How the fuck does Nvidia expect people NOT to bend it if there is no fail-safe in place? 35mm is almost 1.5", and it looks like you can't bend it in either the the x or z axis direction. Absolutely stupid.

If Nvidia really doesn't want people to bend it, which most people are going to do if mounting it the traditional way, I'm not sure what they're expecting as all these cards are super fucking long (if the power connector is at the end) and/or wide (if the power connector is on top of the card opposite the PCIe connector). So by allowing an extra 1.5" (and that doesn't even include the length of the plastic connector) it's very likely either going to run into the front of people's case or the side panel, respectively, without bending the cable.

Last edited:

GHG

It will apply to any cards that use this power connector. So the 4080's will be the same.

O OZ9000 poseted the "solution" for now above, which is to take care of how the cable is installed and the direction/angle it bends in.

I think people might want to start using tape or something to force at least 35mm of the cable to remain straight.

OZ9000

Banned

Essentially bending the cable means a greater risk of connection failure and therefore a burnt connector. But to fit the card/cable in your case, I imagine 99% will require a significant bend.

Interesting facts about the new connector, stolen from Reddit:

I decided to figure out if there is a large difference between the new 12-pin (Amphenol Minitek Pwr 3.0) and the old 8-pin connectors (Molex Mini-fit Jr). I found out that they are basically the same size and the plate thickness is 0.2mm for both. The maximum contact resistance (the important part) is also the same 10mOhm according to the datasheets. The material of the 8-pin (either brass, nickel or phosphor bronze) has more internal resistance than the copper alloy of the 12-pin but also more area so the difference between the two is small. The connectors for the 8-pin are rated at 13A each where those of the 12-pin are rated at 12A. The heat produced by the contact resistance is the interesting part. The 12-pin at 600W has a current of 8.33A per contact, resulting in 0.7W of heat per contact or 8.33W of heat in total. An 8-pin at 150W has a current of 4.17A per contact, resulting in 0.17W of heat per contact, or 1.04W in total. Funny thing is, a single 8-pin connector is actually larger than Nvidia's 12-pin and thus the 12-pin has to handle 8x the heat in a smaller size.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You can't bend that cable at the connection point. There's a thick outer layer preventing you from doing so. I mean you can but you have to be mentally challenged to do so because clearly it's not designed to be bend there.

Card + adapter fits just fine in my NZXT case.

benno

It isn't a fault of bending the cable - if it was a fault of bending the cable the melted pins would be on one side only and not melted on pins spanning the whole connector.

story source: reddit, lol
story pushed by: the exact same people who made a big deal 2 years ago saying the black capacitors on the underside of GPUs were causing all the 3090 GPUs to crash, when it was actually a driver issue.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fuck me this only make me more worried for the people who are gonna build my pc...

In theory people who build pc for work should know everything about this stuff right?? Like even the mediocre ones right?

O OZ9000 do you have the brief and simple version of that reddit link? How should i explain that link to the people who are gonna build my pc?

Last edited:

GHG

Fuck me this only make me more worried for the people who are gonna build my pc...

In theory people who build pc for work should know everything about this stuff right?? Like even the mediocre ones right?

O OZ9000 do you have the brief and simple version of that reddit link? How should i explain that link to the people who are gonna build my pc?

Espn No GIF

For your own sanity don't watch any of gamers nexus' videos on prebuilds and system builders. Send them this and pray:

Or build it yourself of course.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Just get the CableMod 12VHPWR Right Angle Adapter like Black_Stride Black_Stride mentioned. It releases on 10/31/2022.

Should work with all RTX 4090 cards (whether Nvidia FE, or AIB):

Screenshot-2022-10-25-015838.jpg

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s not Nvidia, it’s the new standard, and as he said AMD will use it as well.
He might be right on the money but as he said he don’t know if that person has overclocked or pushed up the power limit or has bent the cable too much. If it’s a serious problem we’ll see these reports pop up left and right. Hopefully Gamer Nexus can upload some heat camera content.

Nickolaidas

It will apply to any cards that use this power connector. So the 4080's will be the same.

O OZ9000 poseted the "solution" for now above, which is to take care of how the cable is installed and the direction/angle it bends in.

I think people might want to start using tape or something to force at least 35mm of the cable to remain straight.
Jesus Christ.

Mephisto40

So basically there is a market there for somebody to make one of these cables with a 35mm bit of plastic behind the connector to stop you bending it too short

I'll take my 50% for the idea whoever wants to do it

GymWolf

For your own sanity don't watch any of gamers nexus' videos on prebuilds and system builders. Send them this and pray:

Or build it yourself of course.
So pc builders are terrible all around the world and not only where i live?

How is this even possible, it's their fucking job to know all about this stuff...

Jesus i'm so utterly fucked...

I watched that video this morning.

Can't say I'd be very happy paying all that money for a 40 series only to start smelling plastic melting after a few days.

Seems like it might be a fundamental design flaw.

Let's just hope nothing serious happens because of it.

OZ9000

Banned
Oh no. I don't know who to believe. A random guy with dirty workstation dirt under fingernails or Gigabyte and Nvidia engineers.

200.gif
Do you honestly think Nvidia and Gigabyte are testing their GPUs in a simulated home environment and a closed case?

3 other people in the Reddit thread confirmed burnt connectors too.

Jonnyguru from Corsair also confirmed they had burnt connectors during testing. Is he also a liar?

Last edited:

benno

Do you honestly think Nvidia and Gigabyte are testing their GPUs in a simulated home environment and a closed case?
Yes. Do you honestly think there are no safety standard procedures in place when dealing with electronics?

OZ9000

Banned
Do you seriously think they are not? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You can't fit without applying a significant bend in a typical PC case. Hell Gigabytes 4090 is so wide it doesn't fit in most cases with the side panel closed full stop.

I just think this smaller connector is a bad decision overall. It looks fragile. We now have a 35mm required clearance. There was nothing wrong with the previous 8 pin connectors. Why attempt to create a solution to problem that doesn't exist?

Last edited:

benno

You can't fit without applying a significant bend in a typical PC case. Hell Gigabytes 4090 is so wide it doesn't fit in most cases with the side panel closed full stop.
You have to be a certain kind of special to try and force a GPU power cable to fit into a case which is too small for it. Are you the type of person who complains that there's no warning signs on hot water taps?

OZ9000

Banned
You have to be a certain kind of special to try and force a GPU power cable to fit into a case which is too small for it. Are you the type of person who complains that there's no warning signs on hot water taps?
A standard GPU should fit a standard ATX case full stop.

The worst part is that the power connector isn't recessed within the GPU itself.

That would provide greater clearance and eliminate the sheer force applied on the pins as you would not be required to put any bend on the power cable.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

It fits just fine in my NXZT ATX case. Easily. And after that initial 35mm I just bend cables to the right.

I just think this smaller connector is a bad decision overall. It looks fragile. We now have a 35mm required clearance. There was nothing wrong with the previous 8 pin connectors. Why attempt to create a solution to problem that doesn't exist?

Google "how much watts can an 8-pin power connector provide" and try to figure it out yourself.

For balance and a bit of a reality check from a professional:

The upshot - looks the Reddit poster hadn't plugged in his power cable in properly.

*Edit: Looks like in the video he was testing the Seasonic cable not the Nvidia one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom