• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4090 12VHPWR cable appears to be very dangerous

benno

The article says that the 3090Ti comes with a 3X8Pin converter. Not a 2X.

READ THE F******* ARTICLE.
lol
I did. It says the issue is putting stress on the 2x 8pin adapter. I quoted your quote from the article which states the 2x8pin adapters have an issue as they pass a higher load.
writing in caps doesn't make you any less wrong.

winjer

Gold Member
lol
I did. It says the issue is putting stress on the 2x 8pin adapter. I quoted your quote from the article which states the 2x8pin adapters have an issue as they pass a higher load.
writing in caps doesn't make you any less wrong.

The 2X8pin connector is just an example. So is the 3X8pin connector.
The whole article is about the conversion of power from one to the other being a risk.

linus torvalds middle finger GIF

Linus said it best...

benno

The 2X8pin connector is just an example. So is the 3X8pin connector.
The whole article is about the conversion of power from one to the other being a risk.
this is the last time I'm going to explain it to you. if you won't accept what it's saying then I can't help you and it's time to just move on.

A 3090ti and 4090 are both 450-600w GPU.

Each 8pin connector from a PSU can transfer 150w
However, 8-pin connectors can only take 13.5 amps (more than 150 watts)
so when using a 4 way connector everything is fine. 4x 150w is 600w, + 75w the GPU can draw from the PCIe mobo lane.
We good so far?

It's when you use a 2x8pin cable we run into problems as you're drawing too much from the PSU.
With a 2x 8-pin to 12VHPWR adaptor, twice as much power will pass with a higher load
yes?
It's no longer 150w x 4 = 600w , it's 150w x 2 = 300w, + 75w from the pcie mobo lane, which is less than the GPU needs so it will draw more down the cables causing them to overheat.
Is this clear enough for you?

The article is saying that the issue is when you use a 2x8pin power cable that it's drawing too much power from the PSU down that cable causing it to overheat. You're doubling the recommended safe load.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
this is the last time I'm going to explain it to you. if you won't accept what it's saying in writing then I can't help you and it's time to just move on.

450-600w GPU, each 8pin connector can transfer 150w so 4x 150w is 600w, + 75w the GPU can draw from the PCIe mobo lane.
We good so far?

So when you use a 2x8pin cable you're drawing too much from the PSU. yes?
It's no longer 150w x 4 = 600w , it's 150w x 2 = 300w, + 75w from the pcie mobo lane, which is less than the GPU needs so it will draw more down the cables causing them to overheat.
Is this clear enough for you?

The article is saying that the issue is when you use a 2x8pin power cable that it's drawing too much power from the PSU down that cable causing it to overheat. You're doubling the recommended safe load.

It's not about total power. It's teh aount of current passing trough the cable after conversion.
The 12PWR cables heva a much lower cross section and this matters a lot for passing current.

HoofHearted

Why is anyone surprised at a spaghetti band-aid adapter cable solution provided "out of the box" by NVIDIA here?

This is why I'm taking a wait and see before investing anything into purchasing a new GPU due to the new power requirements and now, apparently, updated cable requirements that will take time to properly be built and provided to the general market to properly setup, configure, and install these devices into any PC.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The cable was certified by PCI-SIG, so I really doubt there’s a fundamental problem with the design, build quality in Asian countries though…

Crayon

Soooo.... is it so tiny because it's in a terrible position and can barely fit? This design seems stupid.

recursive

nobody said it was a voltage issue and it's not a faulty connection issue which worsens over time.
If a short takes place due to stressing of the cables then the voltage will be what causes the pins in the connector to melt the plastic and short. The voltage monitoring shows no change and the heat shows no change, even with severe bends.
All these youtubers makes videos for clicks. if there's some viral internet drama they can milk they will.

Yeah. That cable only has 2x connectors while a 4090 needs 3-4 connectors going to the PSU
Slight correction. It is actually the current flowing through the conductor that heats it up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Right, I mean, it's not like it would be a financial and logistical nightmare to acknowledge it was inherently faulty and replace those already in the wild and then redesign a new version and produce it.

Far cheaper and easier to pretend it is an anomaly, the expected variable found with any component, and ignore the calls for attention...no matter how loud they get.
3 cases that could easily be attributable to user error and it's a conspiracy. OK. And yes forcing a cable into a mechanically strained position to jam things into a case is user error.
that isn't what it's saying at all.

See, this is fine. Having 3x connectors with an adapter running a 3090Ti isn't an issue. The issue is with..

When you try and use a 2x connector adapter it draws too much power down the cable. The Corsair adapter cable linked above or using the dual headed cable to 1 PSU connector type thing.

y7UENaA.jpg
This connector is in parallel, the pic you want is the one in series. It would draw 2x to the first one and then distribute. This one would be hottest at the PSU. My corsair PSUs have the cables Where it goes from PSU to 6+2 (1) then to 6+2(2) if the GPU can draw 150 from each there would be 300 running to (1) where it splits.
This card is getting a recall for sure.
Sure. A couple of problems means 10,000s must be recalled.
Slight correction. It is actually the current flowing through the conductor that heats it up.
Not really, it is the electrons that make up the current that hit some resistance (scatter off defects) that leads to heat. If the connectors make poor contact, there is high local resistance and that leads to more heat. This problem could be too much current being drawn and/or too much resistance in the path. Bending the cables too much can put the cable and connector under strain and that could cause the connector pins to make poor contact and thus have higher resistance and heat up.

Seems like user error but that the power cables could have been designed to be more idiot proof.

recursive

3 cases that could easily be attributable to user error and it's a conspiracy. OK. And yes forcing a cable into a mechanically strained position to jam things into a case is user error.

This connector is in parallel, the pic you want is the one in series. It would draw 2x to the first one and then distribute. This one would be hottest at the PSU. My corsair PSUs have the cables Where it goes from PSU to 6+2 (1) then to 6+2(2) if the GPU can draw 150 from each there would be 300 running to (1) where it splits.

Not really, it is the electrons that make up the current that hit some resistance (scatter off defects) that leads to heat. If the connectors make poor contact, there is high local resistance and that leads to more heat. This problem could be too much current being drawn and/or too much resistance in the path. Bending the cables too much can put the cable and connector under strain and that could cause the connector pins to make poor contact and thus have higher resistance and heat up.

Seems like user error but that the power cables could have been designed to be more idiot proof.
Yes really. You just explained what I said. It is not the voltage, it is the current.

BlackTron

I have a dark secret in my childhood, never played with lego:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm sure missing out on Lego hurt in other ways but it's hard to accept that someone with the problem solving ability to play video games can't put together a PC in 2022.

Do yourself a favor, if you ever have the chance to grab a cheap or free old PC, do it just to poke around in it and add/remove everything from the motherboard. It's like a game console, you plug in stuff like wires and carts in the right places until it works. Knowing the "right places" seems intimidating until you realize it's like knowing the difference between where to put a controller port and power cord, not some arcane technical knowledge. It's hard to mess up.

By virtue of the nature of PC gaming, in my opinion it's unwise for someone without a penchant for this stuff to be gaming with hardware this heavy. You gotta be able to manage your rig and if you couldn't put it together to begin with, you'll most likely get bogged down later in frustration with issues.

dcx4610

Remember when tech was getting smaller and more powerful? Feels like the opposite with GPUs. The 4000 cards are laughably huge, require massive heat sinks and use an obscene amount of power.

I do need a new GPU but I'm going to hold off until ATX 3.0 PSUs are common and safe and we see the fallout from the new GPUs.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Remember when tech was getting smaller and more powerful? Feels like the opposite with GPUs. The 4000 cards are laughably huge, require massive heat sinks and use an obscene amount of power.

I do need a new GPU but I'm going to hold off until ATX 3.0 PSUs are common and safe and we see the fallout from the new GPUs.

I remember when AMD unveiled their R9 Nano with HBM. I thought that would be a start of something. Nope!

J1uJgdi.jpg

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Seasonic weigh in and post the PCI-SIG info:

GoogleTranslated said:
Recently, players are paying attention to how many times 12VHPWR can be plugged and unplugged? or plugging life at the same time, More attention should be paid to the correct installation method. The PCI-SIG organization issued a test report earlier, warning that the 12VHPWR interface should be used, and excessive bending should be avoided. The terminal may cause excessive resistance due to poor contact, and the interface may heat up, resulting in unbalanced load and melting of the interface. .

9mc2VuK.png

EDMIX

Isn't this guy famous for fear mongering and shitty takes?

Is he legit this time?

Trust me, he is not entertaining a lawsuit or being blacklisted by them for clicks, 99.9% sure this is likely true. I've never seen a video where any claim he's made about something faulty was fake or something. So he he does some other fear type videos, I don't know if I can say its about hardware parts failing or something. Maybe unlikely.

Fredrik

I have a dark secret in my childhood, never played with lego:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You’ll do fine. 👍
I built my first one from scratch this time, it was a bit scary before I started but it turned out the manuals showed everything very clearly. Lots of pics. Placing the CPU in the socket and putting on thermal paste was the most scary part. Had to google how to do that. But no issues a couple weeks later. And no melted cables! 😋

I agree, these could be one offs that are due to user negligence etc...

I was just saying that, if it were something more serious, and seemed to suggest an fundamental flaw in the design, then it's going to be a huge undertaking to replace and then redesign a new version.

Far easier to do what you are doing, and suggest these are isolated incidents.

Even if hundreds of people begin suffering with the same issue, Nvidia can always say they've sold X amount and a few hundred faulty units are par for the course with any new piece of technology.

Besides, it is unavoidable, to a degree, when you consider how large these GPUs are and how (relatively) cramped the cases they go into tend to be.

If you want your glass side panel in place you have very little clearance and will invariably end up needing to bend the cable to make it fit.

They are getting to the point size wise where cases won't be able to fit them anymore.

Can you imagine if the 50 series continues this trend?

You'll see cards that literally cannot fit into most cases - at least not without filling the entire available real estate inside.

I wonder, if we might see a new generation of oversized cases coming out that will afford these GPUs the space they need?

In a few years a pc with 50 series card will be the size of a small fridge.

GymWolf

You’ll do fine. 👍
I built my first one from scratch this time, it was a bit scary before I started but it turned out the manuals showed everything very clearly. Lots of pics. Placing the CPU in the socket and putting on thermal paste was the most scary part. Had to google how to do that. But no issues a couple weeks later. And no melted cables! 😋
No chance dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat: i fucking hate precision work (if we can call that)

Also i want all the software part ready to go, i don't wanna lose a day searching for guides to erase\turning off all the crap from windows 11, updating bios etc.

I'm going all in with the budget, i'm not gonna cheap out for 50 euros for something that i fucking hate doing and where i'm bad at it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm sure missing out on Lego hurt in other ways but it's hard to accept that someone with the problem solving ability to play video games can't put together a PC in 2022.

Do yourself a favor, if you ever have the chance to grab a cheap or free old PC, do it just to poke around in it and add/remove everything from the motherboard. It's like a game console, you plug in stuff like wires and carts in the right places until it works. Knowing the "right places" seems intimidating until you realize it's like knowing the difference between where to put a controller port and power cord, not some arcane technical knowledge. It's hard to mess up.

By virtue of the nature of PC gaming, in my opinion it's unwise for someone without a penchant for this stuff to be gaming with hardware this heavy. You gotta be able to manage your rig and if you couldn't put it together to begin with, you'll most likely get bogged down later in frustration with issues.
A bit of an exageration dude.

I played on pc since pod and never built a pc on my own (i only chose the parts) my friend always assembled for me and only had a problem in what? 25 years?
I never overclock, i never do strange shit with my pc and i try to keep it clean to avoid problems, it worked pretty well for now.

If i have a problem i just bring the pc to a place that repair pc and solve the problem with 15-20 euros instead of going crazy trying to understand what the problem is (and you know that on pc a problem could be fucking everything), if you have fun doing that by your own, be my guest.

I know this is not the honorable nerd way of the master race, but i'm gonna survive the shame in some way, i REALLY don't need to know shit about pc building to enioy all the good things of pc gaming, exactly like you don't need to know shit about engines to enjoy a ferrari.

P.s. i know you are trying to help dude but i'm just stubborn with this stuff.

Last edited:

BlackTron

A bit of an exageration dude.

I played on pc since pod and never built a pc on my own (i only chose the parts) my friend always assembled for me and only had a problem in what? 25 years?
I never overclock, i never do strange shit with my pc and i try to keep it clean to avoid problems, it worked pretty well for now.

If i have a problem i just bring the pc to a place that repair pc and solve the problem with 15-20 euros instead of going crazy trying to understand what the problem is (and you know that on pc a problem could be fucking everything), if you have fun doing that by your own, be my guest.

I know this is not the honorable nerd way of the master race, but i'm gonna survive the shame in some way, i REALLY don't need to know shit about pc building to enioy all the good things of pc gaming, exactly like you don't need to know shit about engines to enjoy a ferrari.

P.s. i know you are trying to help dude but i'm just stubborn with this stuff.

Fair enough. If I had to bring my PC somewhere else and pay money every time something was off, I don't think I'd be into PC gaming much.

In your shoes I would try and get a good deal on a pre built PC or laptop from a real brand like Dell. Just buy a Ferrari off the lot in that case 🤷‍♂️

GymWolf

Fair enough. If I had to bring my PC somewhere else and pay money every time something was off, I don't think I'd be into PC gaming much.

In your shoes I would try and get a good deal on a pre built PC or laptop from a real brand like Dell. Just buy a Ferrari off the lot in that case 🤷‍♂️
Like i said, one problem in 25 years is really not a big deal dude, i'm not every week at the pc store...if that was the case i would have left pc gaming many years ago.

I'm never gonna buy a prebuilt or even worse a laptot dude, why the hell i should buy a laptop for heavy gaming?? I despise the whole concept of laptops:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I enjoy the reasearch of quality parts for the lowest price possible, a prebuilt is gonna cost maybe 50-100 euros less but with way worse parts.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No chance dude:lollipop_grinning_sweat: i fucking hate precision work (if we can call that)

Also i want all the software part ready to go, i don't wanna lose a day searching for guides to erase\turning off all the crap from windows 11, updating bios etc.

I'm going all in with the budget, i'm not gonna cheap out for 50 euros for something that i fucking hate doing and where i'm bad at it.
Tbh I stumbled into the weirdest scenario on the software side. So I’m building a PC and when it’s finished I need Windows, but how do you get Windows install files on a USB drive without a working PC? Moment 22 right there! You need a PC to build a PC 😂

But once Windows 11 was installed it was a walk in the park, it autoinstall default drivers so you can start the PC. Then I just installed Geforce Experience which installed the latest GPU driver and that was it. No bios updates or anything like that.
Then I installed Steam. BAM! The birth of a new gaming rig! 👍

Last edited:

GymWolf

Tbh I stumbled into the weirdest scenario on the software side. So I’m building a PC and when it’s finished I need Windows, but how do you get Windows install files on a USB drive without a working PC? Moment 22 right there! You need a PC to build a PC 😂

But once Windows 11 was installed it was a walk in the park, it autoinstall default drivers so you can start the PC. Then I just installed Geforce Experience which installed the latest GPU driver and that was it. No bios updates or anything like that.
Then I installed Steam. BAM! The birth of a new gaming rig! 👍
I like to keep my pc clean so no geforce experience for me, i don't need an app to regulate settings for me and i don't stream so...
I usually just download the latest driver after the initial window settings.

For the bios, i heard that some rare times a non-updated bios can cause problems and this time i want perfection for my build, i never want to ask myself if the game is broken or is my pc that is not going well for some obscure reason.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
I like to keep my pc clean so no geforce experience for me, i don't need an app to regulate settings for me and i don't stream so...
I usually just download the latest driver after the initial window settings.

For the bios, i heard that some rare times a non-updated bios can cause problems and this time i want perfection for my built, i never want to ask myself if the game is broken or is my pc that is not going well for some obscure reason.
Swapping to a new Mobo 12900k combo and a fresh install of Windows 11 resulted in a lot of BSOD issues until I updated my BIOS.

Also have some issues with some old Saitek flight rudder drivers causing the occasional BSOD, but that's a different story.

BlackTron

Like i said, one problem in 25 years is really not a big deal dude, i'm not every week at the pc store...if that was the case i would have left pc gaming many years ago.

I'm never gonna buy a prebuilt or even worse a laptot dude, why the hell i should buy a laptop for heavy gaming?? I despise the whole concept of laptops:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I enjoy the reasearch of quality parts for the lowest price possible, a prebuilt is gonna cost maybe 50-100 euros less but with way worse parts.

If you had one problem in 25 years, you're doing better than me. But I'm the kind of guy who leave SSD's hanging out the front of my case so I can swap OS's my way, or get back running instantly if there's a software issue. In the past I would have always recommended picking all the parts out separate, in fact that's what I did, but these days you can get a ready to play 3060 desktop for under $800, laptop for $1k. That probably won't be the one you buy but it's indicative of what kind value you can get in a PC without bothering to pay someone to build it or do any work. Plus you get the brand support/warranty/etc of the brand you choose.

GymWolf

If you had one problem in 25 years, you're doing better than me. But I'm the kind of guy who leave SSD's hanging out the front of my case so I can swap OS's my way, or get back running instantly if there's a software issue. In the past I would have always recommended picking all the parts out separate, in fact that's what I did, but these days you can get a ready to play 3060 desktop for under $800, laptop for $1k. That probably won't be the one you buy but it's indicative of what kind value you can get in a PC without bothering to pay someone to build it or do any work. Plus you get the brand support/warranty/etc of the brand you choose.
Yeah the only problem i ever had was a faulty ram stick.

A prebuilt would be the easy way sure, but i'm pretty sure that prebuilt can't beat the quality of a pc assembled with different quality parts that you personally chose and if you are not in a rush, you can snipe some super occasions where you save a lot of money, i never bought a pc part at full price in my life, always under heavy discount, at the end a prebuilt would not cost me like 500 euros less, not even close most probably, and for a worse machine most probably.

For prime day i was saving like 200 euros on the ssd alone and i'm pretty sure that for black friday\cyber monday the prices are gonna be even lower.

Shit i was about to buy 32gb or ddr5 ram for 133 euros, a fucking steal, i sincerely doubt that a prebuilt with the same exact parts would be much cheaper (if even possible to build from a site with a limited amount of parts)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah the only problem i ever had was a faulty ram stick.

A prebuilt would be the easy way sure, but i'm pretty sure that prebuilt can't beat the quality of a pc assembled with different quality parts that you personally chose and if you are not in a rush, you can snipe some super occasions where you save a lot of money, i never bought a pc part at full price in my life, always under heavy discount, at the end a prebuilt would not cost me like 500 euros less, not even close most probably, and for a worse machine most probably.

For prime day i was saving like 200 euros on the ssd alone and i'm pretty sure that for black friday\cyber monday the prices are gonna be even lower.

Shit i was about to buy 32gb or ddr5 ram for 133 euros, a fucking steal, i sincerely doubt that a prebuilt with the same exact parts would be much cheaper (if even possible to build from a site with a limited amount of parts)

Given that you will know the specs of the pre-built PC by looking at it, the main area to improve in quality by buying parts is the motherboard. Given the choice I would far prefer to choose my own motherboard carefully than have whatever say HP decided to put in there. And then be unaware of what types/numbers of ports, upgrade paths, RAM speeds it has etc. Aside from just knowing how reliable it is.

The thing is. If you are picking out all these parts yourself. You are somewhat already doing the heavy lifting. You know how to shop for the right type and speed of RAM for your mobo, but you can't pop the stick into it? Most people can insert a cart into a console or tighten a screw, but don't know what all the numbers and tech specs mean.

Hey man you could be a technical genius, have a billion dollars and not make a PC just because you don't feel like it or it's not worth your time. Just as for me if I didn't feel comfortable around the inside of a case, I wouldn't feel comfortable with PC gaming, but again just my take on it. One problem in 25 years is pretty legendary lol.

GymWolf

Given that you will know the specs of the pre-built PC by looking at it, the main area to improve in quality by buying parts is the motherboard. Given the choice I would far prefer to choose my own motherboard carefully than have whatever say HP decided to put in there. And then be unaware of what types/numbers of ports, upgrade paths, RAM speeds it has etc. Aside from just knowing how reliable it is.

The thing is. If you are picking out all these parts yourself. You are somewhat already doing the heavy lifting. You know how to shop for the right type and speed of RAM for your mobo, but you can't pop the stick into it? Most people can insert a cart into a console or tighten a screw, but don't know what all the numbers and tech specs mean.

Hey man you could be a technical genius, have a billion dollars and not make a PC just because you don't feel like it or it's not worth your time. Just as for me if I didn't feel comfortable around the inside of a case, I wouldn't feel comfortable with PC gaming, but again just my take on it. One problem in 25 years is pretty legendary lol.
You know the raw specs, but the quality of the single parts is gonna be worse compared to what i'm gonna buy.

I'm probably gonna buy a way better brand of psu, a better and bigger brand of case, better ram and basically everything better compared to what a prebuild has inside.

For the other thing, i'm gonna open a topic here on gaf to ask if all the parts are ok to assemble or to ask some advices, i'm not doing this completely alone, the only part when i'm gonna be alone is the payment:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

benno

Haven't seen any report about that.

But it's funny to see you trying to move the goal post on your argument.
wtf you on about?

you posted an image of burnt connectors, the image states that a sharp angled bend near the GPU connector causes a build of heat which causes melting. The image you posted shows burnt connectors at a power supply end.
If you don't like people asking questions about what you post then don't post it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
wtf you on about?

you posted an image of burnt connectors, the image states that a sharp angled bend near the GPU connector causes a build of heat which causes melting. The image you posted shows burnt connectors at a power supply end.
If you don't like people asking questions about what you post then don't post it.

What do you think happens when there is a short circuit due to overheating.
Of course it can burn everything. This connector is a dander for everything, the PSU and the GPU. And if things go really, really, bad might even damage the rest of the system.

Top Bottom