• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4090 12VHPWR cable appears to be very dangerous

NVidia lying?
As if that had never happened....
Right, I mean, it's not like it would be a financial and logistical nightmare to acknowledge it was inherently faulty and replace those already in the wild and then redesign a new version and produce it.

Far cheaper and easier to pretend it is an anomaly, the expected variable found with any component, and ignore the calls for attention...no matter how loud they get.

winjer

Right, I mean, it's not like it would be a financial and logistical nightmare to acknowledge it was inherently faulty and replace those already in the wild and then redesign a new version and produce it.

Far cheaper and easier to pretend it is an anomaly, the expected variable found with any component, and ignore the calls for attention...no matter how loud they get.

NVidia will just say it's the users fault.

Xyphie

It's not like it's new. The ATX 3.0 PCIe connector has shipped on ~500W 3090 Ti's for like 6 months by now and the 12-pin variant (without the sense pins) has shipped for 2 years on some AIB 3090s using ~450W.

benno

A standard GPU should fit a standard ATX case full stop.
In a perfect world it should.. but it doesn't, so you don't jam it.
The worst part is that the power connector isn't recessed within the GPU itself.
agree 100% , and they should use something like the ATX motherboard power connector

That would provide greater clearance and eliminate the sheer force applied on the pins as you would not be required to put any bend on the power cable.
apart from it wasn't a slight bend on the cable which caused this. it's something else. If you look at the image it's the 2 furthermost outside pins which are melted which are the 12v pins, if it was caused by a bend to the left or right like the image shows then it'd only make one of those pins have a bad connection and overheat. The fact that both have overheated due to some form of electric arc shows that the whole connector wasn't seated correctly or was heavily bent out of shape. I reckon it was a faulty cable or multiple wires had disconnected from the pins inside the connector due to extreme stress.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I guess the fractal torrent we were discussing the other day is big enough right?
Looks like a big case so I presume so, unless you go for the Gigabyte 4090 Master (which looks bigger than a PS5 lol)

If I were to buy a 4090 I think Nvidia's variant is probably the best. The width is equal to the 3090.

The other option is to wait for what AMD have in store. And as GHG GHG has said, you should 100% build your own PC. I had no clue how to build a PC myself until a few years ago but there are excellent guides on YT. It's all plug and play to be honest.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Looks like a big case so I presume so, unless you go for the Gigabyte 4090 Master (which looks bigger than a PS5 lol)

If I were to buy a 4090 I think Nvidia's variant is probably the best. The width is equal to the 3090.

The other option is to wait for what AMD have in store. And as GHG GHG has said, you should 100% build your own PC. I had no clue how to build a PC myself until a few years ago but there are excellent guides on YT. It's all plug and play to be honest.
I'm not buying a 4090 but a 4080 and amd 7000 series are probably gonna be almost as big so...

OZ9000

Banned
I'm not buying a 4090 but a 4080 and amd 7000 series are probably gonna be almost as big so...
I think those cards are probably going to be fine. Lower power draw so probably smaller cooler width. 3080 only requires 2x8 pin connectors (rated TDP 320W). I wonder if AIB will continue with the new single connector for the 4080 or 4070 or offer 8 pins.

AMD 7000 series might even stick to the traditional 8 pin connectors - I'd be happy with that personally.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Not an option, too many things that can go wrong and i'm shit with this type of things.

There really aren't that many things that can go wrong. Let me put it this way, you'll have a much better chance of solving any potential issues down the line if you build it yourself. It's pretty much just adult lego these days.

Gudji

NVIDIA should have asked 200 dollars more and give a proper cable.

Thomas Oppermann Reaction GIF by Bayerischer Rundfunk

benno

NVIDIA should have asked 200 dollars more and give a proper cable.

TLDR: He stress tests the cables at different angles of bend. Measures for votage changes and temperatures. No change at all.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ll prob get one of them right angle do dads at some point but I don’t over clock anyways.

GreatnessRD

I’ll prob get one of them right angle do dads at some point but I don’t over clock anyways.
I chuckled at "Do dads" a favorite word of my grandfather. But to get back on track, it appears overclocking the 4090 (consumers anyway, not professional OC'ers) is useless. I think Hardware Unboxed got like a 3% boost from OC'ing a 4090. These GPU's are getting completely out of hand with the power and the chonky hardware.

marjo

Oh no. I don't know who to believe. A random guy with dirty workstation dirt under fingernails or Gigabyte and Nvidia engineers.

200.gif

Yes, because manufacturers never screw up. There's never been a safety recall for cars. Everyone knows that the Pinto was completely safe and it blowing up on contact was simply due to driver errors.

Last edited:

Jrecard

2 reported issues out of what would have to be tens of thousands of cards out there so far so the sky isn't falling yet. I'm keeping a close eye on my card just in case but I have an atx3.0 psu with a native 12vhpwr cable in a suitably sized case so the cable isn't unnecessarily bent and the connector is under no strain. I've seen a lot of people jamming that big ass adapter into tight spaces because of their narrow cases and hoping for the best, despite nvidia and vendors warning otherwise.

Ideal design? Absolutely not. Partial user error leading to a couple of failures so far? Possibly. Given the cost of these cards the price of a new case and psu to properly support them is inconsequential imo.

Mithos

Average Jane and Joe PC builders should be building the PC's at Amd, Intel, Nvidia, and then Amd, Intel and Nvidia techs can see how people bend and twist cables to cable manage in their builds then redesign the ports/cables to suit/fit/accommodate that type of cable managing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yes, because manufacturers never screw up. There's never been a safety recall for cars. Everyone knows that the Pinto was completely safe and it blowing up on contact was simply due to driver errors.

What was failure rate of "Pinto"? What is the documented failure rate of 4090 cable adapters?

But who cares, DARAMA!

Celcius

°Temp. member
2 reported issues out of what would have to be tens of thousands of cards out there so far so the sky isn't falling yet. I'm keeping a close eye on my card just in case but I have an atx3.0 psu with a native 12vhpwr cable in a suitably sized case so the cable isn't unnecessarily bent and the connector is under no strain. I've seen a lot of people jamming that big ass adapter into tight spaces because of their narrow cases and hoping for the best, despite nvidia and vendors warning otherwise.

Ideal design? Absolutely not. Partial user error leading to a couple of failures so far? Possibly. Given the cost of these cards the price of a new case and psu to properly support them is inconsequential imo.
1. Nobody cares until it happens to them.^^

2. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/600W-PCIe-5-0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284
Now I’m thinking maybe there’s a reason why Corsair’s cable hasn’t been restocked since launch…

3. Jay had a good point - Intel had a major hand in designing the new connector and even they aren’t using it. Looks like AMD won’t be either. Who could have thought it wasn’t a good idea to have a 90 or 180 degree connector by default? Why didn’t they leave the connector at the same angle that it is on 3090 FE cards? Clearly this hasn’t been thought through all the way…

Last edited:

benno

As Jay pointed out in his video, it's not a voltage issue but a faulty connection issue that worsens over time.
nobody said it was a voltage issue and it's not a faulty connection issue which worsens over time.
If a short takes place due to stressing of the cables then the voltage will be what causes the pins in the connector to melt the plastic and short. The voltage monitoring shows no change and the heat shows no change, even with severe bends.
All these youtubers makes videos for clicks. if there's some viral internet drama they can milk they will.

2. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...0-12VHPWR-Type-4-PSU-Power-Cable/p/CP-8920284
Now I’m thinking maybe there’s a reason why Corsair’s cable hasn’t been restocked since launch…
Yeah. That cable only has 2x connectors while a 4090 needs 3-4 connectors going to the PSU

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
We don't know yet. But to immediately dismiss any conversation around it as 'internet drama' and claim that 'Nvidia would never make a mistake' is silly.

We don't know so there's nothing to discuss. Sensible thing to do would be to acknowledge the failures and wait until situation develops.

But nope, DRAMA!

Also, I never said that "Nvidia would never make a mistake", lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Celcius

°Temp. member
We don't know so there's nothing to discuss. Sensible thing to do would be to acknowledge the failures and wait until situation develops.

But nope, DRAMA!

Also, I never said that "Nvidia would never make a mistake", lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
“Wait until the situation develops” aka it doesn’t matter until it happens to me

We’re acknowledging the failures BY discussing it

benno

We don't know yet.
correct. but when you read the comment across the internet they're all claiming the Nvidia have fucked up, 4090 GPUs are all failing and setting houses on fire, that there's some huge mess up releasing "dangerous cards" - just like this very thread title
But to immediately dismiss any conversation around it as 'internet drama' and claim that 'Nvidia would never make a mistake' is silly.
When 1 person smokes his power connector on a video card and people all line up to announce how dangerous these video cards are, it is exactly that. Until something is actually known regarding the cause everything is all speculation and all made by people who have little knowledge of the subject. IE it's fucking pointless internet drama.

If it's some mass fault with the connector then it should have also happened to all the 3090Ti cards which use the same connector and have the same power draw. It didn't.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
“Wait until the situation develops” aka it doesn’t matter until it happens to me

Yhym. I see you're the target audience for click baiters and drama queens like 2 cents Jay or whatever his name is.

So what have you concluded by "discussing it"? I'm genuinely curious.

benno

It's not just users and youtubers talking about this connector. PCISIG as issued a warning.

did you read it first? It's a warning about 4070 cards which only use 2x connectors as that won't be enough.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
did you read it first? It's a warning about 4070 cards which only use 2x connectors as that won't be enough.

Yep + plus old news from last month. DRAMA!

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Kinda glad I just kept my 3090 to be honest… will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few months…

GymWolf

There really aren't that many things that can go wrong. Let me put it this way, you'll have a much better chance of solving any potential issues down the line if you build it yourself. It's pretty much just adult lego these days.
I have a dark secret in my childhood, never played with lego:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Jrecard

That's not what people are saying. Need time for

a) reputable experts to look further into this and verify the danger with testing (not self validating tech personalities sharing a reddit post)

B) Nvidia themselves to comment on the situation

C) Further reports more than the 2 we've seen so far of any failures to see if it is likely to be a widespread issue.

The internet is so quick to reach for pitchforks. Just like the 3080 boosting issue at release, or the gigabyte pigtail connectors which turned out to largely be a non issue. People (mostly those who don't even have a card to worry about) love to be outraged.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That's not what people are saying. Need time for

a) reputable experts to look further into this and verify the danger with testing (not self validating tech personalities sharing a reddit post)

B) Nvidia themselves to comment on the situation

C) Further reports more than the 2 we've seen so far of any failures to see if it is likely to be a widespread issue.

The internet is so quick to reach for pitchforks. Just like the 3080 boosting issue at release, or the gigabyte pigtail connectors which turned out to largely be a non issue. People (mostly those who don't even have a card to worry about) love to be outraged.
Owning a card is not a requisite to be concerned… many have not been able to buy one yet.

benno

many have not been able to buy one yet.
do you not think that may have something to do with it? A large group of people all needing an excuse to feel better because they didn't or couldn't get something they actually want when everyone else is shouting out how great they are and prices are going through the roof.
sort of like this..
Kinda glad I just kept my 3090 to be honest…

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We need way more info on this to make an assessment.

I'll tell you this from owning a 4090 and not just drive by posting, if you put the card in with no extreme pressure, you'll be fine.

I have the smallest of cases for my card (Corsair 200t) and have made it work. Look up the maximum dimensions supported by that case. I exceed those and am doing fine while the core is bending but firmly connected. You know, bent, like every other build ever lol

winjer

Did you read it first? The part about the the 4070 is just the final example.
There is a whole article about current, voltages and power, and how the new power connector can have trouble handling the conversion from an 8pin connector.

benno

Did you read it first? The part about the the 4070 is just the final example.
There is a whole article about current, voltages and power, and how the new power connector can have trouble handling the conversion from an 8pin connector.
that isn't what it's saying at all.
The older power supply's won't have a 12VHPWR connector. Therefore you'll need an adaptor. RTX 3090 Ti cards come with a 3x 8-pin to 12VHPWR converter.
See, this is fine. Having 3x connectors with an adapter running a 3090Ti isn't an issue. The issue is with..
However, 8-pin connectors can only take 13.5 amps (more than 150 watts). With a 2x 8-pin to 12VHPWR adaptor, twice as much power will pass with a higher load (not factoring in peaks). High-end video cards need an ATX 3.0 power supply. The RTX 4070 is supposed to utilize 'just' 300 watts, which you save with two 8-pin connections.
When you try and use a 2x connector adapter it draws too much power down the cable. The Corsair adapter cable linked above or using the dual headed cable to 1 PSU connector type thing.

y7UENaA.jpg

Last edited:

winjer

that isn't what it's saying at all.

See, this is fine. Having 3x connectors with an adapter running a 3090Ti isn't an issue. The issue is with..

When you try and use a 2x connector adapter it draws too much power down the cable. The Corsair adapter cable linked above or using the dual headed cable to 1 PSU connector type thing.

Just read the article and stop making stuff up.
It even has a table comparing power between the connectors.

However, 8-pin connectors can only take 13.5 amps (more than 150 watts). With a 2x 8-pin to 12VHPWR adaptor, twice as much power will pass with a higher load (not factoring in peaks).

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This thread feels like “NeoGaf Civil War: Is the Cable Safe or Not?!” 😂

Interesting how the cards have gotten much bigger but we got into this situation because they’re trying to make the power plug smaller.

Last edited:

Outlier

I remember hearing a allegations that the 4090 Titan (whichever) was canceled due to melting, but no idea if there is a connection here. They should really focus on this things working trouble free, over being on the edge of insanity. Hope it's just a few bad batches.

Please AMD, save us from this dark future. 🙏
Don't @ me. I'm invested in them, so it's in my best interest that they DON'T screw this up. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

winjer

This thread feels like “NeoGaf Civil War: Is the Cable Safe or Not?!” 😂

Like Buildzoid said, the 8pin cables have a big safety margin. But these new 12VHPWR have a much lower safety threshold.
So an error, a issue with assembly, or a connector with a slight issue, can be catastrophic for your GPU.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
none of this would be happening if nvidia optimized their GPUs to the point they only need an 8 pin connector like a normal computer part. i guess safe connectors are a 'story of the past'

Last edited:
Top Bottom