• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4090 12VHPWR cable appears to be very dangerous

Celcius

°Temp. member
A bit too late though isn't it. They were the ones who helped jump start this shitstorm and profited from it by posting the little pamphlet images showing how bending the Nvidia adapter causes these issues. Suddenly when everyone realises it isn't bending the adapter and it can happen to their cables it's a quick U-turn to it's "user error" cables not pushed in correctly, and talk of stop selling. How about they refund all the people they sold the £100 cables to out of fear the Nvidia cable would burn their houses down?
Yep I agree with you

edit: Looks like Jonny Guru has deleted his Reddit account and also Newegg has delisted the MSI MEG Ai1300P...

Last edited:

benno

Looks like Jonny Guru has deleted his Reddit account
Yeah , it looks like he started to get a lot of flak for saying it was down to not pushing the connector in correctly. In one of his posts he said thanks to someone for being civil and that other people were not. Prob got sent quite a few nasty messages.
I guess he took it down as he's connected to Corsair rather than it upsetting a few tossers on reddit though.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Realistically, how widespread is this issue?

I installed my 4090 yesterday and the cables need to be bent or the card wouldn't fit in the case. It seems to work fine but haven't done any heavy gaming on it yet
No additional details have been shared by NVIDIA or the AIBs - however - reported/confirmed cases continue to rise with varying degrees of damage to the adapters and, more recently, the connectors.

Many are now questioning the overall design of the connector ...

If you want to take the chance/risk on using your card - proceed with caution..

Be aware of any burning smells and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Fredrik

My CableMod replacement cable did not make a nice click when I plugged it in.
Can you see if the locking mechanism has snapped in place? Should go parallell with with the plug.

I’m using the adapter included with Suprim X, 2 weeks now, checked it with heat camera, checked for melting, no issues. BUT when I first plugged it in after checking for signs of melting it never clicked. I pushed a bit extra and got the *click* from when the latch snap in place.

However, I’d say the plug itself is badly designed if it’s that last millimeter that is the problem. You really shouldn’t have to use any force on a relatively small fragile connector.
And if the plug itself is the problem then it won’t matter if you have a cablemod cable or Nvidia adapter or a ATX 3.0 PSU (where you’ll have one of these buggers on the PSU side to worry about as well).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Starting to see more native atx 3.0 cables burn on Reddit.
Nvidia is my favorite tech company and they make awesome products but between the burnt connector issue, the price, the power consumption, no DisplayPort 2.1, trying to sell a 12gb RTX 4070 Ti as a $900 RTX 4080, etc… they dun goofed this gen.
Still haven’t added dark mode to the windows 95 looking driver control panel either smh.

Intel helped work on the spec/design for 12VHPWR connectors and even they decided not to use it on their first gpu products, and now AMD is looking wise to avoid it as well. Oof.

Skifi28

Realistically, how widespread is this issue?

I installed my 4090 yesterday and the cables need to be bent or the card wouldn't fit in the case. It seems to work fine but haven't done any heavy gaming on it yet
Do you have insurance against fire for your house? If not, it might be a good time.

HoofHearted

Starting to see more native atx 3.0 cables burn on Reddit.
Nvidia is my favorite tech company and they make awesome products but between the burnt connector issue, the price, the power consumption, no DisplayPort 2.1, trying to sell a 12gb RTX 4070 Ti as a $900 RTX 4080, etc… they dun goofed this gen.
Still haven’t added dark mode to the windows 95 looking driver control panel either smh.

Intel helped work on the spec/design for 12VHPWR connectors and even they decided not to use it on their first gpu products, and now AMD is looking wise to avoid it as well. Oof.
I’m starting to plan out my next upgrades for the next 6-12 months and I’m still willing to potentially buy a 4090 - however - agreed with your assessment above.

How NVIDIA reacts to this issue (with full transparency) in the next few months will determine where my cash goes.

So far - it’s not going well.

//DEVIL//

So 4080 will be the same bs? Only gpu I can consider is 7900 xtx ?
I have the msi a1000g . So far no issues with its native power connector .

I am almost positive that native cable is either a dud or some sort of user error . Native power connector isn’t an issue

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have the msi a1000g . So far no issues with its native power connector .

I am almost positive that native cable is either a dud or some sort of user error . Native power connector isn’t an issue
This powersupply:

HoofHearted

8a8156922073d9698fb968556464159d.jpeg

hard to tell from the translation on the OP - this appears to be a pre-built system…

But I could be wrong … ;)

link to the thread …

https://quasarzone-com.translate.go...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Yeah I know but I am pretty sure it’s a user error. I have the lower version of this . 1000 gold version and no issues. No other reports too .

Also makes me wonder how honest these reports are and not just AMD mosquitoes running around spreading fuds
Go read the thread - OP there is adamant that he installed it correctly and made sure it wasn’t bent, etc.

This is occurring way too consistently across the board to unilaterally blame this on user error.

Something is clearly wrong here and just because others haven’t had issues or are unable to reproduce it doesn’t automatically mean it’s user error. There’s a root cause here and eventually it will be reproduced and identified.

At its core - this is a design issue or a problem with the cables / connectors - if the user fails to properly install or connect the card - a valid design would simply cause the system / GPU to not power on or work.

Nothing with respect to the design of these cards, cables, or connections should yield a system that is melting, burning, or smoking to cause this type of damage.

the question is - will it be too late and someone seriously gets injured?

Black_Stride

Yeah I know but I am pretty sure it’s a user error. I have the lower version of this . 1000 gold version and no issues. No other reports too .

Also makes me wonder how honest these reports are and not just AMD mosquitoes running around spreading fuds
For your sake I hope its all good.
Im one of the people not drinking the koolaid just yet, cuz if it really was a "huge" problem it would be way more widespread.
Currently no one has even been able to replicate the issue consistently.

Im guessing AIBs are going to abandon the connection for V.2 RTX40s.
3x8 is a ton of power for a 4090.
Id argue you could probably get away with giving an RTX4090 2x8.

PhoenixTank

Ah yes the concerted effort by AMD fans to financially ruin Nvidia by buying their $1600 graphics card, then damaging the cables and the graphics card in the process. You've uncovered the truth...

JonnyGuru does some adapter testing that is worth a quick read:

I'm assuming this is what he posted that received the backlash on reddit? Unsure on timeline of events.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

So 4080 will be the same bs? Only gpu I can consider is 7900 xtx ?
I can’t recall (and I’m too lazy to go look it up atm) if the 4080 will be utilizing the same connector (I expect that it will).

If it is - I‘d expect that the 4080 launch may possibly be delayed until they figure out what the problem is.

GHG

This is the sticking point for me as well at the moment. There doesn't seem to be a single repeatable cause of all of these failures.

Personally I think that means it points towards manufacturing tolerances being too loose somewhere - either in the cables themselves or in the connector on the card itself. There are too many variables at play here and any "cause" so far has merely been coincidental.

I have to say though I'm not a fan of the way that "user error" keeps on being brought up in these discussions. If the components are not appropriately designed or manufactured with a slight allowance for user error in mind (which they should be, most computer parts are) and the user follows the manufacters guidelines to the letter but they still end up with a burnt cable/connector then how can you blame the user?

Fredrik

This is the sticking point for me as well at the moment. There doesn't seem to be a single repeatable cause of all of these failures.

Personally I think that means it points towards manufacturing tolerances being too loose somewhere - either in the cables themselves or in the connector on the card itself. There are too many variables at play here and any "cause" so far has merely been coincidental.

I have to say though I'm not a fan of the way that "user error" keeps on being brought up in these discussions. If the components are not appropriately designed or manufactured with a slight allowance for user error in mind (which they should be, most computer parts are) and the user follows the manufacters guidelines to the letter but they still end up with a burnt cable/connector then how can you blame the user?
I checked Reddit, in one thread they said that no 4090 FE has had a melted cable yet. Is that true?

GHG

I checked Reddit, in one thread they said that no 4090 FE has had a melted cable yet. Is that true?

No idea but if that's the case (and it stays like that) then it might be to do with something the way the AIBs are manufacturing the boards.

I've seen some of the power connectors on the GPUs have a lot of wiggle.

Fredrik

No idea but if that's the case (and it stays like that) then it might be to do with something the way the AIBs are manufacturing the boards.

I've seen some of the power connectors on the GPUs have a lot of wiggle.
Wiggle? Is there videos on this?

Chiggs

Can you see if the locking mechanism has snapped in place? Should go parallell with with the plug.

I’m using the adapter included with Suprim X, 2 weeks now, checked it with heat camera, checked for melting, no issues. BUT when I first plugged it in after checking for signs of melting it never clicked. I pushed a bit extra and got the *click* from when the latch snap in place.

However, I’d say the plug itself is badly designed if it’s that last millimeter that is the problem. You really shouldn’t have to use any force on a relatively small fragile connector.
And if the plug itself is the problem then it won’t matter if you have a cablemod cable or Nvidia adapter or a ATX 3.0 PSU (where you’ll have one of these buggers on the PSU side to worry about as well).

Hey there. I unplugged it and plugged it in again. It's definitely in tighter now, but I still didn't hear an audible click...so maybe it's a soft-click kind of thing and I just couldn't hear it over the TV.

I've not had any burning or instability, so I am not too worried.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What’s the point of wanting >3090 class on either Nvidia or AMD if it’s not for ray tracing? Please tell me.

Pure rasterization games are already running at ridiculous framerates unless you’re aiming for something like 8k. What FPS do you need? 200? 300?

This GPU range is only going to shine and flex it’s muscles for ray tracing.
Work in my case. And VR games, those are still really expensive if you want a good picture.

Rbk_3

Add me to the list of people who haven't experienced an issue. I've checked my cable twice and felt like an idiot doing so.

There are currently 15 confirmed cases out of how many cards sold? I guarantee people mishandled or bent the cable. From the cases I've read, they even admitted to it. We were told from before the cards launched to not do that.

/r/nvidia is fucking horrible. Unless you post the popular opinion of "fuck Nvidia" you get downvoted to hell. Those same hypocrites are still buying Nvidia cards.

Jay, Nexus etc. have most of those idiots brainwashed while they profit from making bullshit videos. Same morons who made something out of nothing with the 30 series POSCAPs

CableMod is probably absolutely loving this. Free money as a result of fear mongering. I was going to grab one of those cables to tidy up but I don't think I care to anymore.

I checked my cable once only because I had my case apart to put some new fans. I couldn't be less concerned about this. Most games I have been playing pull like 300W. I am not running Furmark all day.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is this the power connector they are using on the 3080 as well?

At this time it seems like it would be best to stick with the old connectors and give this new one more time in the oven. I wonder why Intel felt like the new connection needed to be so small?

//DEVIL//

Go read the thread - OP there is adamant that he installed it correctly and made sure it wasn’t bent, etc.

This is occurring way too consistently across the board to unilaterally blame this on user error.

Something is clearly wrong here and just because others haven’t had issues or are unable to reproduce it doesn’t automatically mean it’s user error. There’s a root cause here and eventually it will be reproduced and identified.

At its core - this is a design issue or a problem with the cables / connectors - if the user fails to properly install or connect the card - a valid design would simply cause the system / GPU to not power on or work.

Nothing with respect to the design of these cards, cables, or connections should yield a system that is melting, burning, or smoking to cause this type of damage.

the question is - will it be too late and someone seriously gets injured?

Im one of the people not drinking the koolaid just yet, cuz if it really was a "huge" problem it would be way more widespread.

Ok. lets not be over dramatic lol, Yes we would like to know the cause. Yes, there is something going on wrong here that is causing some adapters or 1 native cable. we don't know yet. but clearly, from the experiments, everyone is trying to do, it's not about bent cables bends

Ever since the 3000 series, Nvidia video cards usually have millisecond spikes in Mhz, maybe it's something like this causing the Watts above 600w cable can handle and it might be the reason. or maybe constant overclocking?

As far as I know, none of the cards affected by this is an FE card. could it be something Nvidia sent to the AIB that is wrong?

regardless, how many cases are on that Reddit thread? 40 now? not even, let's say there are 1000 cases already. Didn't Nvidia just sell 100k units ? that is a 1% defective rate. that is actually way below the norm of any product lol.

Again it sucks, and we all would like to know what is the actual cause behind this. do not mind YouTubers seeking clicks and drama attention for money. I mean we should know this by now.

here is hope by next week we can have some clear answers.

Fredrik

Hey there. I unplugged it and plugged it in again. It's definitely in tighter now, but I still didn't hear an audible click...so maybe it's a soft-click kind of thing and I just couldn't hear it over the TV.

I've not had any burning or instability, so I am not too worried.
Yeah as long as it’s plugged in all the way there isn’t much else you can do. I’ve been using mine for 2 weeks now, minimum 40 hours, checked it with a heat camera too, so if it does fail I know it’s not my fault at least, I’m even on silent bios as well so no overclocking here.
It’ll be interesting to hear Nvidia’s reply once they do say something.

FingerBang

That's my impression too. Have a 4090 FE, currently the cable is slightly bent because the card is massive and it pushes against the glass of my case.

It seems fine though, runs cool, no smoke yet. I believe it's probably some low standard cables that are causing issues. I plan to get a bigger when I change motherboard and CPU. I'm tempted by the 5800x3D but being on a B450 and knowing the 7xxx3D are coming I want to wait a little longer

Black_Stride

Me thinks I can wait a few more weeks to see these V.2 cables.

I did notice Palit/Gainward had delayed shipments here as well.........i figured it was just cuz we are second class citizens, but maybe it really was due to them having a new version of the cable.
Zotac gonna Zotac they just gonna keep sending them out.

//DEVIL//

Me thinks I can wait a few more weeks to see these V.2 cables.

I did notice Palit/Gainward had delayed shipments here as well.........i figured it was just cuz we are second class citizens, but maybe it really was due to them having a new version of the cable.
Zotac gonna Zotac they just gonna keep sending them out.
I am not sure how that will do anything.

assuming these reports of native cable is doing this too ( 2 cases ), that means its not a cable issue.

No FE card has this issue. only AIB cards. which makes me wonder if the AIB followed exactly the specs Nvidia sent or if Nvidia sent bad specs to AIBs. I do not see where changing cables will solve the problem if a native PSU cable is also causing problems with AIB cards ( I have the same MSI A1000G power supply, Which btw, really awesome and clean delivery of power more than EVGA G5 1000W which produced a coil whine on my 4090 but the MSI doesn't produce the same loudness of coil whine ).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

assuming these reports of native cable is doing this too ( 2 cases ), that means its not a cable issue.

No FE card has this issue. only AIB cards. which makes me wonder if the AIB followed exactly the specs Nvidia sent or if Nvidia sent bad specs to AIBs. I do not see where changing cables will solve the problem is a native PSU cable also casuing problem with AIB cards ( I have the same MSI A1000G power supply, Which btw, really awesome and clean delivery of power more than EVGA G51 1000 which produced a coil whine on my 4090 but the MSI doesn't produce the same loudness of coil whine ).
The native cables were both from MSI no?

There is no reason to assume native cables made by partners are any better than cables made by that same partner just packaged with a GPU.

//DEVIL//

The native cables were both from MSI no?

There is no reason to assume native cables made by partners are any better than cables made by that same partner just packaged with a GPU.
the cables packaged by the GPU are made by Nvidia not partners. they all the same cable. the MSI one is native and totally different design ( very sturdy too btw)

This is why I am saying changing the cables will probably do nothing.

Last edited:

Fredrik

As a 4090 user….

This Is Fine GIF
Lol checked mine with a heat camera to not have to worry too much 😅
fceUy8K.jpg

Still interested to see what’s the real cause. And what Nvidia’s official response and action plan will be. And why isn’t FE cards affected?

Buggy Loop

So tech Jesus, Jonny Guru, JayZ and every other hardware reviewer who have had their hands on dozens of 4090 to review since early October with hours and hours of benchmarking, and now sabotaging connectors to get something to melt, unseated connectors, leaving these botched connectors on overnight with stress tests and none of them has seen it happening.

What the fuck indeed. There’s either a new wave of PC newbies since COVID that don’t know how to plug properly, or a transient phenomenon that has not been found, or straight smear campaign like those Xbox series x smoking videos.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

So tech Jesus, Jonny Guru, JayZ and every other hardware reviewer who have had their hands on dozens of 4090 to review since early October with hours and hours of benchmarking, and now sabotaging connectors to get something to melt, unseated connectors, leaving these botched connectors on overnight with stress tests and none of them has seen it happening.

What the fuck indeed. There’s either a new wave of PC newbies since COVID that don’t know how to plug properly, or a transient phenomenon that has not been found, or straight smear campaign like those Xbox series x smoking videos.

Yes - you're all over it - clearly there are those out there willing to physically damage their brand new $1600+ cards to smear NVIDIA...

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lol checked mine with a heat camera to not have to worry too much 😅
fceUy8K.jpg

Still interested to see what’s the real cause. And what Nvidia’s official response and action plan will be. And why isn’t FE cards affected?
Yeah got a canoe coming at some point soon but dunno if I wanna mess with it since seems ok now. Might wait till they figure out the issue.

//DEVIL//

No FE card has this issue. only AIB cards. which makes me wonder if the AIB followed exactly the specs Nvidia sent or if Nvidia sent bad specs to AIBs. I do not see where changing cables will solve the problem if a native PSU cable is also causing problems with AIB cards ( I have the same MSI A1000G power supply, Which btw, really awesome and clean delivery of power more than EVGA G5 1000W which produced a coil whine on my 4090 but the MSI doesn't produce the same loudness of coil whine ).

Anddd. I was right

Like I said, since there are 2 native cables this happened to, plus lots of testing on bent cables from YouTubers didn’t do anything + the fact not a single FE so far has this issue = it means one thing and thing only :

- hardware failure.
1- could be AIB didn’t follow Nvidia specs exactly
2- Nvidia provided wrong specs to AIB

HoofHearted

Anddd. I was right

Like I said, since there are 2 native cables this happened to, plus lots of testing on bent cables from YouTubers didn’t do anything + the fact not a single FE so far has this issue = it means one thing and thing only :

- hardware failure.
1- could be AIB didn’t follow Nvidia specs exactly
2- Nvidia provided wrong specs to AIB

Interesting- That statement is called a “posturing” statement - clearly pointing this issue back to NVIDIA to resolve and own the issue.

If the AIBs are starting to do this - then they may know what’s happening and are now trying to put pressure on NVIDIA to act.

I could see one or two AIBs having this issue by not following the specs, but this appears to be widespread across all of them. Which leads to your last statement or a problem with the manufacturers sourcing the components to the AIBs (assuming they are different vs the FE.

Yet NVIDIA remains quiet …

Several more reports on on the mega thread recently… and that’s only for the few who go out of their way to report it there.

With respect to this not happening on the FE - it may have happened- but the reports may have been kept quiet or there has been only a very few reported due to the general availability of the FE compared to the rest of the AIBs.

Either way - this is getting messy and won’t end well.

Top Bottom