• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4090 12VHPWR cable appears to be very dangerous

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hardware Jesus basically demonstrating to us how many dumb people with lots of money in their pockets are out there. Probably lots of college students in their 20s buying up 4090s at launch with credit cards and then not finding the time to check for a complete insertion of the cable because OMG I have to be the first bragging on reddit about my purchase. Still a bad design though.
Yeah I think this is a combination of user error along with a cable design that has a low tolerance for user error and an outsized impact from any issues.

Fredrik

Going by GamerNexus new video and Nvidia’s response it seems like the answer was there weeks ago:
Only GALAX. They threw 1500w down the cable and disconnected it a little and it started to overheat. They concluded it was the cause of the overheating issue, but everyone else just ignored it.

The video linked is watchable if you alter the subtitles to english.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Lets also remember 0.04% is more than within range of manufacturing expected lemons/warrenty issues. Also, just going by a normal thread on gaf about PC building, we have to assume at least 10% of the people building a PC are incompetent. Now should the cable be more fool proof? Absolutely, GN had great suggestions about the cable needing an audible clickin, and the sense wires should only connect when the connection is fully secured. Hopefully nvidia, intel and the spec agency will make those changes.

poppabk

Lets also remember 0.04% is more than within range of manufacturing expected lemons/warrenty issues. Also, just going by a normal thread on gaf about PC building, we have to assume at least 10% of the people building a PC are incompetent. Now should the cable be more fool proof? Absolutely, GN had great suggestions about the cable needing an audible clickin, and the sense wires should only connect when the connection is fully secured. Hopefully nvidia, intel and the spec agency will make those changes.
Yeah reading reviews of any PC component will make you question the competency of people building PCs and also their awareness of their ability.

Yes but most manufacturing issues don't cause a fire hazard, and, the 4090 hasn't been out for long. The Xbox 360 RROD didn't happen for everyone on day one, or even necessarily the first year, but it was inevitable in time. That failure percentage could continue to increase in the coming days/weeks/months. However, let's hope in this case (also for my sake as a 4090 FE owner) that GN is spot on with their assessment of the cause(s).

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What’s the sales numbers for other graphics card launches? Like the 3080
I'm not sure as those are the numbers from the Gamersnexus video straight from Nvidia.

Now that you brought it up is be interested.

What would be more interesting is a 3090 comparison.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Add me to the founders edition 4090 owners club. Cards a beast!

Glad to hear there's no issue with the cables and it's just plebs not using things properly again.

Ulysses 31

Add me to the founders edition 4090 owners club. Cards a beast!

Glad to hear there's no issue with the cables and it's just plebs not using things properly again.
Do you really prefer FE's over these(if you had the choice) :messenger_winking_tongue:

iu

iu

Ulysses 31

Suprim Liquid X was my #1 choice 👌
But I had to accept a regular Suprim X instead. Not as well-cooled but it’s still running cooler than my 3070Ti and is a beast even with silent bios.
My Liquid X is on backorder with no indication when it will be back in stock. :lollipop_confounded:

I may have to settle with the Aorus Waterforce.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wait people can choose what 4090 to get...

I just grabbed what I could... Thank God didn't end up with a Zotac Skateboard

Fredrik

Wait people can choose what 4090 to get...

I just grabbed what I could... Thank God didn't end up with a Zotac Skateboard
I just slammed the buy button at launch and got a bit lucky with the Suprim X since I knew it would fit in my case, but I wanted the Liquid, would’ve felt better with the pricing insanity.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Do you really prefer FE's over these(if you had the choice) :messenger_winking_tongue:

iu

iu
Here is an advice for you.. never Aio gpu ..

They will die on you . Whatever 2 months or 2 years, pumps fail. Then you have to worry about sending it back and be without a gpu for 3 weeks or whatever . Not worth the hassle.

In terms of 4090 AIO vs FE. My FE doesn’t reach 65 degrees ( i under volt my cards) Why should I AIO again ? To get 60 degrees or 55?

The OC performance gain in these cards is a joke and not worth the 300$ premium.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

https://www.google.com/search?q=8+p...hUKEwjmzJ_Axrj7AhXEGDQIHZ8SB_4QrQIoBHoECCQQBQ

So bozos plugging a GPU connector incorrectly is nothing new it seems.

“wHAT aBOUt thE BAD dEsIGn?”

Seems like anything “pin” and you’re having 0.04% fuckups.

All these fire hazard proclamations in the past month and even big companies joining in in the past days..

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Nvidia will have to slap a sticker around the connector with an ikea instruction guy explaining what to do.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Absolutely, lab testing mean nothing without actually testing real use cases. From immaculately clean cases, to cases cleaned once a month, to the one that hasnt been cleaned in years in a room that's covered in cigarette ash and cum.

I think all the fear mongering about the 30 limit disconnect immediately before didn't help the situation either. So now you have a small group of people unplugging and plugging these cables in and out multiple times to verify it works after 30 disconnects, which has created additional fod in these adapters.
There is no 30 disconnects. That was FUD.

Ulysses 31

Here is an advice for you.. never Aio gpu ..

They will die on you . Whatever 2 months or 2 years, pumps fail. Then you have to worry about sending it back and be without a gpu for 3 weeks or whatever . Not worth the hassle.

In terms of 4090 AIO vs FE. My FE doesn’t reach 65 degrees ( i under volt my cards) Why should I AIO again ? To get 60 degrees or 55?

The OC performance gain in these cards is a joke and not worth the 300$ premium.
Only had 1 AIO fail on me once(coolant leak) in the last 5 years and I usually get a new card every 2 years orso.

The reason I like these cards is because they're 2 slot so I can make use of all my mobo PCI-E slots(I use PCI-E > M.2 adapters).

Also, the AIO don't heat up the mobo as much since they don't blow heat from the sides inside the case.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

50 units per 100k....
fake drama continues

Nobody-Youtubers-in-their-thumbnails-meme-10814.png

Always surprises me how this place gets clickbaited by tech youtubers even nowadays.
How many times will it take to know 95% of them are clickbaiters with no goddamn knowledge on tech?

I only have subscriptions to optimum tech & Gamers nexus by now. All the others are clowns.

They tried to make you believe this :

Burning House Burn GIF by Halloween

Pointing_soyjaks.png

and peoples fell for it, holy fuck..

Last edited:

nikos

Got downvoted so many times on reddit for saying it was user error and here we are. Of the ~50 cases, they all seem to have started there.

CableMod is constantly posting, taking full advantage and people are too stupid to realize it. Nvidia subreddit has pretty much become a giant ad for their cable. Most people posting their builds are including CableMod in their title as if it's a significant component. The place has become hiveminded and delusional.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry but potential fire hazards and burning equipment are not “fake drama”.

Note 7 caused a worldwide recall with about 100 instances and they sold a lot more than 100k of those (about 2.5 million).
You can take any electronical equipment and make it catch on fire.
If someone is too delicate with his new gpu to plug in the plug to the end it's his fault.
Sure, the plug should be better designed to avoid possibility of bad plug in but still...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Got downvoted so many times on reddit for saying it was user error and here we are. Of the ~50 cases, they all seem to have started there.

CableMod is constantly posting, taking full advantage and people are too stupid to realize it. Nvidia subreddit has pretty much become a giant ad for their cable. Most people posting their builds are including CableMod in their title as if it's a significant component. The place has become hiveminded and delusional.
You're completely right, that place has become a hivemind and advertisement for CableMod.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You can take any electronical equipment and make it catch on fire.
If someone is too delicate with his new gpu to plug in the plug to the end it's his fault.
Sure, the plug should be better designed to avoid possibility of bad plug in but still...
Yea, exactly, it should have been better designed, end of story. The reaction was warranted, when talking about potential fires.

radewagon

Yea, exactly, it should have been better designed, end of story. The reaction was warranted, when talking about potential fires.
Totes agree. There's a big difference between an electrical fire as a result of gross negligence vs. the result of simple mistake. Products should be designed to account for simple mistakes.

benno

This isn't a "user" problem

Interesting - are you a qualified electrical engineer?

All you've "shown" is a bunch of pictures attempting to justify your odd stance that it's somehow tied to people plugging in the adapter.

News Flash: It's not.

LMFAO - I ... just... can't any more...

You really should go back and actually read and attempt to fully understand and comprehend the ENTIRE article, including the particular statement/section that you just quoted back to me here.

If you want to die on this hill - go right ahead ...

Ignorance is bliss...

Holy shit fuck. Now I've seen it all.

You’ve posted pictures.

There’s nothing further to “refute” here because what you’re attempting to quantify is illogical and based on a complete lack of comprehension and understanding on your part.

I’m not going to continue arguing with someone that has the mental capacity of a brick wall.

Hopefully some semblance of logic will enlighten you when NVIDIA figures out that a recall might be prudent.

Good luck to you - and please, for the sake of humanity, don’t have any children.

looks kinda like I was right, doesn't it? lololol

poppabk

Totes agree. There's a big difference between an electrical fire as a result of gross negligence vs. the result of simple mistake. Products should be designed to account for simple mistakes.
We are talking about people building electronics as a hobby. There are tons of simple mistakes you can make that are potentially deadly (electric shock) or fire hazards. Building a PC is as easy as it gets but if you aren't aware or paying attention to the fundamental risks then you shouldn't be doing it.

Buggy Loop

We are talking about people building electronics as a hobby. There are tons of simple mistakes you can make that are potentially deadly (electric shock) or fire hazards. Building a PC is as easy as it gets but if you aren't aware or paying attention to the fundamental risks then you shouldn't be doing it.

0rctr4ud81n61.jpg

lF3B7MR.jpeg
91hDOFc.jpeg

swfp7dc70ca21.jpg
1vu47i4dxak01.jpg

Ban electricity, clearly a danger to society.

Poppyseed

That's not FUD. It's what the connector is rated for. Its just that it's no different than any of the other cables for the last 20 years.
Yes, sorry that’s what I meant. Literally nothing has changed, and let’s be honest - you’ll get a lot more than 30x connections anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I didn't want to say it but yeah electricity was a mistake.
A brain fart but I wonder how else world would go on if electricity would never be invented/used as we use it today.
Would we have gas pipes? Would we run out computers on steam?!
Could anything else do the same thing electricity does...

diffusionx

Gold Member
As expected. It might have been exaggerated on the internet (I know, crazy), but the issue is there.
It’s a new cable that was catching on fire in large terms relatively, where nobody involved had any idea about why.

It was not exaggerated and it was not unwarranted. In the end we are going to get a better, safer cable and that is what matters. Nvidia should be thanking their lucky stars it is a cable design issue leading to user error and not a fundamental issue with their GPU to warrant a full recall.

Top Bottom