• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rugby World Cup 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Ultimately this is the difference between the teams of the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere. When push comes to shove their core skills let them down and they fuck it up. Unforgivable error on that line out.

CCS

Banned
We didn't deserve that. I'm putting all the blame for that on Joubert and his fucking atrocious refereeing.

master15

Australia were so unbelievably poor. Two of the softest tries you will ever see in a quarterfinal.

Very lucky to eek out a victory.

Huge effort from Scotland but wow, what a choke at the very end. Gave the bloody game away from their own lineout with seconds left on the clock.

C'mon NZ and Argies next week!

Edit: Joubert was good, you guys are letting your bias cloud your sight.

It's 3:47 in the morning and I'm shaking.
What a terrible way to get knocked out for Scotland.

All southern hemisphere semi-finals. Let's hope Joubert gets put on a plane back to whatever rock he crawled out from under.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What a game though. Compelling all the way through. So sorry for Scotland.

Tell you what though, there will be so much fire going into next years' Six Nations.

derdriu

We didn't deserve that. I'm putting all the blame for that on Joubert and his fucking atrocious refereeing.

Yep, a late hit that was ignored and that really looked like an Australian knockedthat ball last. Scotland was robbed.

Also great wonderful game by scotland

CCS

Banned
So pulling down a maul is illegal but pulling down the man at the lineout is fine? Late hits are fine? It's offside if the ball didn't come off our man? Fuck off you incompetent, blind piece of shit.

kharma45

It's 3:47 in the morning and I'm shaking.
What a terrible way to get knocked out for Scotland.

All southern hemisphere semi-finals. Let's hope Joubert gets put on a plane back to whatever rock he crawled out from under.

I was just reading about Joubert. Sounds like the officiating was equally as shit in this match as the Ireland one.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So pulling down a maul is illegal but pulling down the man at the lineout is fine? Late hits are fine? It's offside if the ball didn't come off our man? Fuck off you incompetent, blind piece of shit.

giphy.gif

I was just reading about Joubert. Sounds like the officiating was equally as shit in this match as the Ireland one.

Nah, he was fine, just made some decisions that one eyed fans would hate, like carding Maitland for deliberately knocking down the ball when Aus were on the attack within the Scottish 22. I was cheering on Scotland but that was stupid and deserved the card.

CCS

Banned
Nah, he was fine, just made some decisions that one eyed fans would hate, like carding Maitland for deliberately knocking down the ball when Aus were on the attack within the Scottish 22. I was cheering on Scotland but that was stupid and deserved the card.

What about three wrong decisions in the last 3 minutes?

5 tries to 3. So I think we deserved to win.
You could argue all of them were gifted to Scotland. So we also deserved to lose.

But how much do we miss Pocock and Folau.

kmag

What about three wrong decisions in the last 3 minutes?

Doesn't really matter. The ref doesn't come into it if they could execute a basically uncontested lineout which they couldn't.

It was a poor decision to go long, a poor throw and poor handling. Each of those things were down to Scotland. Basically it was just a team who couldn't handle the pressure in the end up.

They did themselves proud, but the main answer to the 'why does it always happen to us' is that fundamentally Scottish sides are mentally and technically weak, when the pressure is on in crunch time they all fold like a deckchair.

But the difference between a deliberate knock on and a failed intercept is so grey that you can't be sin-binning people for it.

Heartfyre

Ugh, that's devastating for Scotland. Fuck.

Southern hemisphere semi-final actually confirmed. Probably a New Zealand/Argentina final, I'd say.

Faddy

Banned
refs were using TMO for everything at the start of the competition but when it comes to close calls at the end Joubert decides he doesn't need help.

Daemul

I'm not even disappointed, this was one of the outcomes that I expected. It was either we were going to get absolutely wrecked or we were going to run the Aussies ragged for the whole match and then bottle it right at the end, and surprise, surprise the latter happened.

As a Scotman you get used to this shit.

pbsapeer

Banned
Great game. Best one of the WC
not sure why the ref didn't go to the TMO for that line out "knock on" but never mind. Scotland did themselves so proud and showed they're not just in there to make the numbers up. Stunning!

CCS

Banned
There is no excuse for a factually wrong decision right at the end of the game given how much the TMO has been used so far at this world cup.

jelly

So annoyed and that was a really bad decision but we wouldn't be depending on that if we got the line up right. So damn close but as always glorious failure. Gutting.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
And the ref sprinted off the field right after the whistle I hear?

I wouldn't read too much into that, it was pouring with rain - I'd have done the same.

Interesting that the Sydney Morning Herald also questioning that decision though:

3:54am: FULL-TIME: Joubert should have checked that last one, it's cost Scotland the game. And replays show that Phipps was the last one to touch it. I think we'll be hearing about this one for a little while!

3:53am: FULL-TIME: Craig Joubert's performance as referee should come under scrutiny, he might have cost himself a spot in the semi-final. He sent Scotland winger Sean Maitland to the sin bin for a deliberate knockdown, but that was incredibly harsh. He then failed to give Australia a penalty for a Scotland offside, which led to a Foley mistake and a Scotland try. Then at the death, the same situation, Joubert decides to penalise Scotland and Foley boots the winner! Greig Laidlaw, Scotland captain is filthy. He says why didn't Joubert send it to the TMO?

Looked like an Aussie touched it last. Should've went to the TMO.

I'd have to see it again but I thought it came off a Scottish player last. My picture wasn't great though.

Regardless, I agree with kmag. It was Scotland's lineout, Australia didn't compete (and don't have a very good lineout these days anyway) and they made a hundred horrible decisions in the space of 10 seconds. It's pretty silly to put all the blame on the ref when half the bloody team had already done their best to lose the game.

But the difference between a deliberate knock on and a failed intercept is so grey that you can't be sin-binning people for it.

I think it depends. If there's evidence they actually tried to catch it then sure, I'd just go with a standard knock-on. If there isn't then I'd start with a penalty and go up to a yellow card depending on where and when they did it. Australia were inside the Scottish 22, were hot on attack and Maitland made no attempt to catch it, seemed like a clear yellow card to me.

Hard luck Scottish fans. You came closer to make the semi than any of the other NH teams but just missed it by seconds.

I'd have to see it again but I thought it came off a Scottish player last. My picture wasn't great though.

Regardless, I agree with kmag. It was Scotland's lineout, Australia didn't compete (and don't have a very good lineout these days anyway) and they made a hundred horrible decisions in the space of 10 seconds. It's pretty silly to put all the blame on the ref when half the bloody team had already done their best to lose the game.

I think it depends. If there's evidence they actually tried to catch it then sure, I'd just go with a standard knock-on. If there isn't then I'd start with a penalty and go up to a yellow card depending on where and when they did it. Australia were inside the Scottish 22, were hot on attack and Maitland made no attempt to catch it, seemed like a clear yellow card to me.

Hard luck Scottish fans. You came closer to make the semi than any of the other NH teams but just missed it by seconds.

I personally think he's trying to catch it, his hand is turned and cupped in a way that looks like he's trying to pick it up on the stretch. However, the ball does exit his grip at a speed which makes it quite plausible that he's realised he's lost it, and has pushed it away from him.

Will have to see it at full speed again

PS: I know fuck all about rugby, so there I may well be missing something :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom