• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

marsomega

evlcookie said:
So all we got was a little tease about it's performance and seeing shit most of us a) can't afford b) don't have the room for.

Boo hiss. As much as i would love a 2nd monitor, i barely have enough room for this 24" :lol

Time to get excited again in 2 weeks time.

Are you for real? Do you even know how much power it takes to drive 7680 x 3200 resolution?

Have you even seen Tom Clancy H.A.W.X. or DIRT 2 (DirectX 11) at those obscene resolutions in action running off a single card?

JudgeN

Wonder what the performance hit is like when using more then 1 monitor, I see no point in having all those monitors if the game can't keep a LOCKED 60 FPS IMO. But Eyefinity is really sweet, wonder if Nvidia will have a counter for it.

GWX

For what I'm seeing, 5850 is the card for me... I play here @ 1440x900 and the max res that I'm going with is 1080p. I just don't have the money and the space for multiple monitors solution and stuff.

Still, I'm waiting to see the NVIDIA offerings and how they defeat ATi @ Crysis performance :D
But seriously, I hope NVIDIA DX11 cards are AT LEAST as affordable as ATi ones.

xemumanic

GWX said:
But seriously, I hope NVIDIA DX11 cards are AT LEAST as affordable as ATi ones.

These aren't the traditional ATI prices either. They know that Nvidia won't have their answer out for a little while, so they're charging what they normally wouldn't, but as soon as the GT300 come out, they'll drop their prices by maybe $100 or so across the board. Also, they've got the x2 cards held in reserve to 'counter' with, even though I'll bet they're just as ready to go as the 5850 and 5870, if not mere weeks behind.

Its the same old song and dance. I just wanna see a solid 1080p/60fps Crysis with AA and AF going.

Kevin

xemumanic said:
These aren't the traditional ATI prices either. They know that Nvidia won't have their answer out for a little while, so they're charging what they normally wouldn't, but as soon as the GT300 come out, they'll drop their prices by maybe $100 or so across the board. Also, they've got the x2 cards held in reserve to 'counter' with, even though I'll bet they're just as ready to go as the 5850 and 5870, if not mere weeks behind.

Its the same old song and dance. I just wanna see a solid 1080p/60fps Crysis with AA and AF going.

Wait for the dual gpu cards. :D

Suairyu

Banned
xemumanic said:
See, this is where I'm confused. I was under the impression that very high Crysis was incompatible with AA due to its method of creating foliage?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
xemumanic said:
You can get pretty close. I get about 50 average on max settings with a 295 and 950, both overclocked.

Firestorm

Suairyu said:
See, this is where I'm confused. I was under the impression that very high Crysis was incompatible with AA due to its method of creating foliage?
By AA, I think people mean the built-in Edge AA and not real AA.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
marsomega said:
Are you for real? Do you even know how much power it takes to drive 7680 x 3200 resolution?

Have you even seen Tom Clancy H.A.W.X. or DIRT 2 (DirectX 11) at those obscene resolutions in action running off a single card?

Of course i know it's running off a single card. I'm talking about the price for 6 monitors and the room for it all.

xemumanic

AstroLad said:
You can get pretty close. I get about 50 average on max settings with a 295 and 950, both overclocked.

Yeah, I saw the numbers, something about 54 max, 30 on the low end.
as for AA on Very High, I dunno

Kevin said:
Wait for the dual gpu cards.

and yeah, I did mention the x2 cards
but you probably mean to do 60fps......yeah, that should do it

It's amazing to think that 2 years later there still isn't a video card in sight that can push Crysis at 1080p 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles cranked. Either it really is that good looking of a game or just a case of unoptimized code.

artist

Banned
Mix n Match
28h1hyx.jpg

Crysis at 5760x2160 :D
2i23l0n.jpg

List of supported games
21b6f7o.jpg

Video: http://blogs.amd.com/home/2009/09/10/ati-eyefinity’s-panoramic-future-keep-watch/

xemumanic

Gully State said:
It's amazing to think that 2 years later there still isn't a video card in sight that can push Crysis at 1080p 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles cranked. Either it really is that good looking of a game or just a case of unoptimized code.

Even with the current state of affairs that we cant do 60fps solid on Crysis, I don't think the unoptimized code complaint applies. The more I play the game, the more I see just how far ahead the game was in terms of what it did under the hood. WARHEAD came out and had some optimization, but the game just needs some GPU WOOF being fed gunpowder to get going. :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AstroLad said:
I have a similar setup, and it is not what I wish it was. The GTX295 is just a stop gap for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
godhandiscen said:
I have a similar setup, and it is not what I wish it was. The GTX295 is just a stop gap for me.
Once the next big thing hits that offers a genuine leap over the OC'd 295 I'm on board. Really Crysis is the only thing that even runs sub-60 for me right now though.

godhandiscen

AstroLad said:
Once the next big thing hits that offers a genuine leap over the OC'd 295 I'm on board. Really Crysis is the only thing that even runs sub-60 for me right now though.
Crysis isn't even the most demanding game tbh. Stalker Clear Skies and GTA 4 destroy the 295. Right now what they have shown of the 5870 is leaps and bounds better than the 295. Starting by the fact that a 295 cannot handle any resolution avobe 1900x1200 due to its small framebuffer. If I wanted it really badly, I would get two 5870's and crossfire them, but there is no game that I enjoy that I cannot play maxed and at 60fps, so I will wait for that first, which will give me time to evaluate Nvidia's offer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I heard about that, not a big STALKER guy though. Also I use the 2233rz, which is at 1680 so that helps me a bit with performance too.

gokieks

evlcookie said:
Of course i know it's running off a single card. I'm talking about the price for 6 monitors and the room for it all.

The point is that something capable of running a game at 7680x3200 and playable framerate should also be able to run it at 2560x1600 (or 1920x1200 or whatever resolution normal people use) with max AA/AF at great framerates. So even if the ridiculously high resolution is not something applicable to most people, the performance isn't.

godhandiscen said:
Crysis isn't even the most demanding game tbh. Stalker Clear Skies and GTA 4 destroy the 295. Right now what they have shown of the 5870 is leaps and bounds better than the 295. Starting by the fact that a 295 cannot handle any resolution avobe 1900x1200 due to its small framebuffer. If I wanted it really badly, I would get two 5870's and crossfire them, but there is no game that I enjoy that I cannot play maxed and at 60fps, so I will wait for that first, which will give me time to evaluate Nvidia's offer.

Isn't GTA4 a product of being more processor dependent? I remember reading that the game pretty much needs a quad core to run on max settings.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
gokieks said:
The point is that something capable of running a game at 7680x3200 and playable framerate should also be able to run it at 2560x1600 (or 1920x1200 or whatever resolution normal people use) with max AA/AF at great framerates. So even if the ridiculously high resolution is not something applicable to most people, the performance isn't.

I'm not ignoring the performance at all. I'm very very very very excited to see what sort of performance this thing can do on my single 1920x1200 monitor setup.

I'm just a little annoyed that today was about eyefinity, an awesome piece of technology that i would think doesn't apply to most people. Instead we now have to wait another 2 weeks for real benchmarks. Waiting for today was hard enough, Now we get to wait another 2 weeks. /shake fist at AMD :lol

If i had the money and room for such an insane setup then i would be over the moon as to what was shown, But i don't.

Regarding the WoW benchmark, 80fps is great but normal when you're in the middle of no where doing nothing. Throw them in a raiding situation with all the effects going on and 24 other people and the fps drop would be significant. But WoW is playable at just about any FPS to begin with.

MMm Raiding at 7680x3200 ... Oh lord. I better not think about such an idea.

Firestorm

Gully State said:
Isn't GTA4 a product of being more processor dependent? I remember reading that the game pretty much needs a quad core to run on max settings.
Yep. But it also has a pretty high video ram requirement to max out.

godhandiscen

Gully State said:
Even with an i7 at 4.0GHz, GTA on maximum settings (population and traffic lvl at 100%) displays way too many polys for today's GPUs. The problem is that any SLI/Crossfire solution doesn't have more than 1GB of vram.

Firestorm

Mostly for draw distance but there were still some other stuff. You can see it go up and down as you change options.
Gully State said:
Is the visual payoff for GTA4 worth the ridiculously high hardware reqs?
Honestly, with my GTX 275 and Q9550 I already get better than 360/PS3 visuals with less pop-in and at higher resolutions.

godhandiscen

Gully State said:
Is the visual payoff for GTA4 worth the ridiculously high hardware reqs?
Thats up to each player to judge. Because the gameplay also changes due to the high density of vehicles and pedestrians.
irfan said:
Isnt that (VRAM req) primarily for maxing out the draw distance?
Traffic and pedestrian density too. The 5870 2GB looks to be the perfect card for that game.

So I'm interested in the 5850 and want it pretty bad. I'm also a noob to the world of gaming PCs, so I have what are probably stupid questions. I (very unfortunately) have a kind of small case. If my case is big enough to house a 4890 should the 5850 fit? Also, does anyone know what kind of PSU I would need to power the thing?

Woffls

Waikis said:
gtaiv pics

Please take me back, PC gaming!
D':

I might buy a 375 (Or whatever Nvidia decide to call their answer to the 58XX) next year, that way I can keep this 8800GT as a PPU and not feel bad about having never used it :\

Personally, i think alot of the hatred for GTA 4 PC came from people who refuse to accept anything but maxed out, even if they sliders in GTA 4's graphics options were almost 3/4 times that what the console versions had. Rockstar could of easily limited the sliders to what the consoles had, but they didnt, they added in some extreme limits, and people blasted them for it.

I played the game on a X2 6000+ and a 8800 GTS 512, and it was smooth sailing at 1920x1200 (after the patch that helped reduce some vRAM usage, that let me use Medium textures at that resolution). Some drops when things got really hectic, but never console levels.

The video editor is also an insane ammount of fun, infact i probably spent half my time playing that alone :lol

Rockstar have also been pretty good with support, constant patches (another on the way, sounds pretty big as it implies its coinciding with a PC re-release) and a guy posting in forums collecting up peoples issues and what not and helping people out.

True, silly things like the Rockstar Social Club login thing shouldnt be needed, but with the right spec (anything modernish) the game should be better than what you find on the consoles.

Hope i dont come across as hating on consoles, i dont, i love my 360, i double dip on alot of stuff :D

Woffls

It was unplayable on minimum settings on my newly formatted 8800GT, E6600, 4gb @800mhz machine. Probably running Vista or 7 RC x64, can't remember.

Ogs said:
Personally, i think alot of the hatred for GTA 4 PC came from people who refuse to accept anything but maxed out, even if they sliders in GTA 4's graphics options were almost 3/4 times that what the console versions had. Rockstar could of easily limited the sliders to what the consoles had, but they didnt, they added in some extreme limits, and people blasted them for it.

I played the game on a X2 6000+ and a 8800 GTS 512, and it was smooth sailing at 1920x1200 (after the patch that helped reduce some vRAM usage, that let me use Medium textures at that resolution). Some drops when things got really hectic, but never console levels.

The video editor is also an insane ammount of fun, infact i probably spent half my time playing that alone :lol

Rockstar have also been pretty good with support, constant patches (another on the way, sounds pretty big as it implies its coinciding with a PC re-release) and a guy posting in forums collecting up peoples issues and what not and helping people out.

True, silly things like the Rockstar Social Club login thing shouldnt be needed, but with the right spec (anything modernish) the game should be better than what you find on the consoles.

Hope i dont come across as hating on consoles, i dont, i love my 360, i double dip on alot of stuff :D

I do have to say that most of my impressions of GTAIV PC was from how bad they handled the release. I haven't followed it post patch since I already beat the game on console. I had thought about double dipping at the time b/c of the multiplayer but the high hardware reqs pretty much ended that. Maybe I'll come back to it the next time I upgrade since I don't think an E8400+4850 probably can't push this game the way I want it to.

Ceebs

ShineALight said:
So I'm interested in the 5850 and want it pretty bad. I'm also a noob to the world of gaming PCs, so I have what are probably stupid questions. I (very unfortunately) have a kind of small case. If my case is big enough to house a 4890 should the 5850 fit? Also, does anyone know what kind of PSU I would need to power the thing?
I think the new cards are smaller if I read that correctly and much more power efficient.

artist

Banned
Ceebs said:
I think the new cards are smaller if I read that correctly and much more power efficient.
Actually the 5870 is as long as the 8800GTX, so its probably one of the longest ATI card in recent history. 5850 board shots have not been leaked so far.

Kruhex

I have a 9600...I mean, the only reason I'd upgrade is for Crysis Warhead at a nice FPS rate and Cryostasis. I guess that's worth it.

Kevin

Any word on when Nvidia will announce anything? Surely they would want to counter attack ATi's awesomeness with at least a few specifications for their new cards.

godhandiscen

irfan said:
What mobo is that? Fuck, the card looks HUGE!!!!
Kevin said:
Any word on when Nvidia will announce anything? Surely they would want to counter attack ATi's awesomeness with at least a few specifications for their new cards.
I thought there was an event for today. If Nvidia doesn't make a move the day ATI officially launches, I will be worried.

Kevin

Yeah I figured Nvidia would want to do something to prevent potential customers from quickly moving to ATi. ATi's new cards are pretty impressive and while the single card version might not be hugely faster then the Geforce 295, the dual card versions should be significantly faster which means that Nvidia should show something off before people buy those up. If Nvidia doesn't announce anything then I might skip the next Nvidia card and get the 5870X2 (since my card is getting pretty darn old now) but I was hoping to see what Nvidia had to offer before going ATi (since I prefer Nvidia more).

Kevin said:
Yeah I figured Nvidia would want to do something to prevent potential customers from quickly moving to ATi. ATi's new cards are pretty impressive and while the single card version might not be hugely faster then the Geforce 295, the dual card versions should be significantly faster which means that Nvidia should show something off before people buy those up. If Nvidia doesn't announce anything then I might skip the next Nvidia card and get the 5870X2 (since my card is getting pretty darn old now) but I was hoping to see what Nvidia had to offer before going ATi (since I prefer Nvidia more).
I'm going to wait until we have a clear picture of what Nvidia and Intel are bringing to the table, by that time the 5850/5870 should be around $199/$299. The 5850 x2 and 5870 x2 should be available by then.

Top Bottom