• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Black Ops Declassified had a 5 months dev cycle

Iacobellis

Can't forget this either.

eight-days.jpg

It's no surprise Nihilistic left traditional development, re-branded themselves, and went to iOS. Being forced to make a Call of Duty game in 5 months... the pressure was probably insane

Can we have more time?
No, sorry.

‏@supererogatory
If my math is correct, CoD Vita had like a four-five month development cycle.

superannuation ‏@supererogatory

They didn't really start development until around when Resistance shipped and wrapped up early last month. So May to October.

https://twitter.com/supererogatory

Bonus:

Must have been cheap to make then.

50$
Ten dollars per month....

So... next gen retail price for yearly AAAA blockbusters ought to be $120 by those calculations. It's more likely than you think! ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
At least they spend a bit of their development budget on the Metacritic user review positive feedback campaign.

46 of the 85 written user reviews are reviews done by accounts that were specifically created for COD Blops Declassified.
(Just for context, other games hover around 10% single-review-accounts.)

Earlier I compiled a few of those. (There are more now. The positive one-review accounts accounted for more than 67% of all reviews at that point.)

These ONLY wrote user reviews for for Declassified on Metacritic:
10 TheMightyJew
10 oMILLERoTIMEo
10 P8ntball4
10 edleao
10 dungey
10 DrDeath
10 marckivar
10 birthright
10 ephiroth
10 IBY
10 ImmortalA9
10 KonaBro
10 megazoidd
10 VR-4nic
10 d1897
10 hammy316
10 Nitendoheady
10 TheVitaMustLive

9 Vinbeansel
9 Torrella
9 wakey1210
9 billblue555
9 nm1043
9 lowlifemalakye
9 TwoLittleGamers
9 sparky7531
9 Sofamonster
9 TURBO777
9 David530
9 RasecMask

8 Deviator
8 Fruitbat1919
8 axlnizam
8 savvytonio

cyborg009

Banned
It's no surprise Nihilistic left traditional development, re-branded themselves, and went to iOS. Being forced to make a Call of Duty game in 5 months... the pressure was probably insane

Can we have more time?
No, sorry.

I wonder if they were told to make more COD for the Vita and wanted to escape.

-Winnie-

This could probably have done pretty well if it was priced at something you'd expect on iOS ($10-15 tops), but charging $50 for a half-assed rushed product is just poor form.
A proper CoD game could've been what brought Vita to the masses but this is just sad. They announced this back when Vita was still NGP, so it's not like they only struck a deal recently.

Massa

Hi, I'm doing well!
I'm saying making some weird semantic distinction between "Single Player" and "Offline" is a totally awkward and disingenuous way to make that argument

Well, when people hear of a one hour campaign they think of a Call of Duty campaign that lasts 1 hour instead of the usual 4 or 5. This is not how the single player content in the game is structured.

Skyzard

Banned
At least they spend a bit of their development budget on the Metacritic user review positive feedback campaign.

46 of the 85 written user reviews are reviews done by accounts that were specifically created for COD Blops Declassified.

Earlier I compiled a few of those. (There are more now. The positive one-review accounts accounted for more than 67% of all reviews at that point.)

Quite a few of the negative ones (zero scores etc) have only written one review as well, although I'm sure there is some fanboy-ism going on, as well as genuine reviews. Perhaps even some foul-play, yep maybe.

Yopis

All of these mistakes regarding vita from sony. Advertising to exclusives to simple things like timely store demos or better apps or browser. Only fools will believe PS4 will be a perfect run. Have had every sony system at launch but count me out for PS4 if they dont get vita together. When I got home with PS3 and my blutooth controller with no rumble would lose sync constantly. All the while playing ridge racer that didnt even have voice chat. I knew it was gonna be a long ride. This is worse.

benny_a

Quite a few of the negative ones (zero scores etc) have only written one review as well, although I'm sure there is some fanboy-ism going on, as well as genuine reviews. Perhaps even some foul-play, yep maybe.
Yeah, earlier today when I compiled it was almost unanimously positivity by the new accounts. There were some additions with negativity now.

To be fair, the single player stuff is supposed to be an arcadey score attack game you replay. But the general consensus outside of the game's OT is "Why would you want to"

Score attack or not, 40 minutes of actual content should not be acceptable to anyone. That's like saying your average 5 hour shooter campaigns are actually 20 hours long because they have 4 difficulty settings. The game seems to be getting murdered in reviews which is a good thing... even a big brand like Call of Duty should not get away with this kind of bullshit.

wow. just wow.

Takao

Banned
how is this even possible? why not delayed the game instead?

And miss the holiday shopping season?

10 TheMightyJew
10 oMILLERoTIMEo
10 P8ntball4
10 edleao
10 dungey
10 DrDeath
10 marckivar
10 birthright
10 ephiroth
10 IBY
10 ImmortalA9
10 KonaBro
10 megazoidd
10 VR-4nic
10 d1897
10 hammy316
10 Nitendoheady
10 TheVitaMustLive

9 Vinbeansel
9 Torrella
9 wakey1210
9 billblue555
9 nm1043
9 lowlifemalakye
9 TwoLittleGamers
9 sparky7531
9 Sofamonster
9 TURBO777
9 David530
9 RasecMask

8 Deviator
8 Fruitbat1919
8 axlnizam
8 savvytonio

Don't you think this is just a teenie weenie bit conspiracy theorist? I don't think the people at Nihilistic even believe they made a great game here.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, earlier today when I compiled it was almost unanimously positivity by the new accounts. There were some additions with negativity now.

You're right, I do remember a very quick jump to 40 or 50 (positive) reviews. Suspicious as you wouldn't expect metacritic to be the first place to go to talk about it a day after release. Yeah, dodgy.

theman5141

Neo Member
Has the developer apathy and disrespect toward the Vita hit its nadir yet? Surely developers must be tired of tormenting the rather abject and confused owners of this system.

I have never owned a Vita, nor do I have the intention of buying one anytime soon. Yet, all the while, I can't help but commiserate with everyone affected.

Oxymoron

how is this even possible? why not delayed the game instead?

This was never a game intended to be good. It's designed for one thing only, and that's piggyback on the launch of Blops2 and get sales off people who want to play Blops on a handheld. The options were literally launch now or delay an entire year for the next CoD game, and this was never a game anyone intended to invest resources into to actually make good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The problem isn't the game itself being a low quality rushjob, it's the disconnect between the game being a low quality rushjob and Sony presenting it as a major third party game and the Vita having not a whole lot this fall and people pinning a lot of their hopes and aspirations for the machine on the game.

benny_a

Don't you think this is just a teenie weenie bit conspiracy theorist? I don't think the people at Nihilistic even believe they made a great game here.
I was being facetious. I just wanted to share my stats from the other thread.

This is what I said in the other thread about Nihilistic:
"The developers had a shit schedule and probably delivered the best they could in the time allotted. They probably even had to work weekends and were then laid off regardless."

Wonder how much Sony paid for this.

The problem isn't the game itself being a low quality rushjob, it's the disconnect between the game being a low quality rushjob and Sony presenting it as a major third party game and the Vita having not a whole lot this fall and people pinning a lot of their hopes and aspirations for the machine on the game.

What else is there?

So a game that was announced 18 months ago was only really worked on for 5 months?
Why?

As Ken Levine said, Sony ask pubs and devs to announce Vita stuff too early so they could put logos on screen.

We are talking about Activision after all, the worst publisher out right now...

Sony had to have seen early builds and knew the quality. It is part of their approval process.

10 TheMightyJew
10 oMILLERoTIMEo
10 P8ntball4
10 edleao
10 dungey
10 DrDeath
10 marckivar
10 birthright
10 ephiroth
10 IBY
10 ImmortalA9
10 KonaBro
10 megazoidd
10 VR-4nic
10 d1897
10 hammy316
10 Nitendoheady
10 TheVitaMustLive

9 Vinbeansel
9 Torrella
9 wakey1210
9 billblue555
9 nm1043
9 lowlifemalakye
9 TwoLittleGamers
9 sparky7531
9 Sofamonster
9 TURBO777
9 David530
9 RasecMask

8 Deviator
8 Fruitbat1919
8 axlnizam
8 savvytonio
A 10/10 from a user named "TheVitaMustLive."

lmao

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I was always under the imrpession that Activision worked on this for a year before handing over to Nihilistic. I would love to see what was discussed behind closed doors for this game.

Tobor

Why didn't they just say upfront that it's a multiplayer only game and charge less? Nobody would have given a shit.

Charging full price on the other hand, should mean you get a full game.

Skyzard

Banned
I was always under the imrpession that Activision worked on this for a year before handing over to Nihilistic. I would love to see what was discussed behind closed doors for this game.

Massa says they got rid of everything but the cutscenes..not sure if he was kidding.

Why didn't they just say upfront that it's a multiplayer only game and charge less? Nobody would have given a shit.

Charging full price on the other hand, should mean you get a full game.

Why on earth would you be under the impression Activision did any work at all on this, let alone a year

Top Bottom