• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor/confirmed - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on XB1.

VinFTW

Good news that each system is using it's potential.

Still gonna get it on X1 though. Much prefer the online stability and the controller.

h3ro

important because?

You wont see a difference like in the other games thats why this thread is useless...

But it is only about me so so i will shut up...

It's a technical thread to discuss what resolution the game runs at. Not a thread to discuss whether you see a difference or whether it "matters" or not.

So if cod was 10 usd cheaper on the x1, would that sway some people to go for the inferior version?
Just wondering.

If my friends weren't all getting it on PS4, then yes, it being 10 bucks cheaper would make it much more enticing even if it is inferior. As is, it could be 20 bucks less and I'd still buy on PS4 since I want to play with my buddies

I seriously doubt one platform would have dedicated servers while another has p2p. Both will use the same tools.

Well Michael Condrey says:
“We’ve got some announcements coming. Yes, we will be supporting dedicated servers and there will be announcements soon on which providers and platforms. I can’t answer just yet, but you can let your community know that it’s coming"

This was about 10 days ago. And the fact that I saw host migration means that not all of them have dedicated servers. Unless I'm missing something about how dedicated servers/host migration works.

ironcreed

Banned
The posters who say resolution doesn't matter always crack me up. If it didn't matter there would hardly be a market for GPU's

Keep laughing then, because I still don't give a shit about the difference between 900p and 1080p. Ryse is still easily the best looking game I have played this generation and it is 900p. There is a lot more to graphics than just the resolution and I am more than happy with great textures, effects, etc at 900p.

if this is true then I will concede that MS had nothing to do with AC Parity stuff.

I think a lot of people realised the developers comment "we did it to stop the discussion" wasn't a well-thought out reply to hide the MS involvement, but instead a truth describing internal boardroom discussions.

Keep laughing then, because I still don't give a shit about the difference between 900p and 1080p. Ryse is still easily the best looking game I have played this generation and it is 900p. There is a lot more to graphics than just the resolution and I am more than happy with great textures, effects, etc at 900p.
And if you could choose to have Ryse in 1080p instead with no cutbacks on the graphics, which would you choose? Because that's what this thread is about. Not your favorite graphics, but the difference between two versions of the exact same game.

Why not just ignore the thread?

Proxy

Good to know. I was actually interested in this COD and have been debating on whether or not to pre-order on PSN. Just wish they would release some PS4 footage that showcased a solid framerate but I'm not too worried because this game isn't being developed by IW.

Ryse is still easily the best looking game I have played this generation and it is 900p. There is a lot more to graphics than just the resolution and I am more than happy with great textures, effects, etc at 900p.
While I agree that resolution is not king when it comes to a great looking game, it is certainly a major player. You should see Ryse on the PC, running at higher resolutions...... it looks far superior.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
as a ps4 owner, I just hope there aren't those random bouts of lag/stuttering that plagued ghosts.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

For a start you have missed my point completely or have chosen to ignore it. Also Ryse was only on 1 of the consoles, if there was a better version on PS4 it would make a difference to a lot of people.

Off topic slightly, but I played Ryse with high settings on PC and was disappointed with the presentation. Don't get me wrong it was quite nice but it's visuals are way overrated. Battlefield 4 and Infamous were much prettier imo. I actually really liked the game though, it was far better than I was expecting and one of the most fun games I have played this year.

ironcreed

Banned
And if you could choose to have Ryse in 1080p instead with no cutbacks on the graphics, which would you choose? Because that's what this thread is about. Not your favorite graphics, but the difference between two versions of the exact same game.

Why not just ignore the thread?

I was merely responding to the notion that people who don't care about the difference are somehow wrong. Of course it's always nice to have that extra bump, but some of us honestly don't think it is a big enough difference to get worked up over if everything else that makes graphics matter still makes the game look great. That's all.

OSHAN

Wasn't that because it was running at over 60? Did they never fix it?

Not to my knowledge. The drops never made any sense. Had nothing to do with what was transpiring. I never felt it affected gameplay, but every now and again there would be this odd drop.

Certinty

Sort of expected, if I do get the game though I'll get it on the Xbox One. Controller and Xbox Live more than make up for the resolution.

thuway

The bigger question is will we see any difference in alpha effects, shadow quality, or the "elusive" anisotropic filtering?

Resolution is one part of the story, I'm interested in seeing if the effects quality on PS4 is ratched up any more notches.

So only Ubi is on board with the parity crap. Great. 900p on PS4 = no buy.

Well technically Destiny is 1080p on both consoles with everything like for like, since Bungie achieved their visual target.

cakely

Edit: Apologies to those who took my comment very seriously. I realize it was brash. I'll dial it back a bit.

Edit 2: I'm going to keep what I said below, but I do wish I could take it back. I didn't mean to cause an uproar. I was wrong.

In all seriousness, do people still care? Unless you are literally sitting side by side with an Xbox One and a PS4 plugged in, can you tell? Let's say you can: does it really hinder your experience? Let's say it does: you sure you're playing games for the right reasons? Let's say you are: deal with it.

Non-native resolution and it probably has the Xbox One's awful crushed blacks that seems to come with their scaler. Given a choice, I'd prefer 1080p. So, yes, I care.

ironcreed

Banned
For a start you have missed my point completely or have chosen to ignore it. Also Ryse was only on 1 of the consoles, if there was a better version on PS4 it would make a difference to a lot of people.

Off topic slightly, but I played Ryse with high settings on PC and was disappointed with the presentation. Don't get me wrong it was quite nice but it's visuals are way overrated. Battlefield 4 and Infamous were much prettier imo. I actually really liked the game though, it was far better than I was expecting and one of the most fun games I have played this year.

Of course it would make a difference to people if a better version was available. As it will to people here who care. All I was saying is that some of us really don't get worked up over such a difference if the game itself still looks amazing at 900p. But is it nice to have a version that is extra crispy? Sure, but it will still look good to many even at 900p and they are not wrong for being okay with that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I was merely responding to the notion that people who don't care about the difference are somehow wrong. Of course it's always nice to have that extra bump, but some of us honestly don't think it is a big enough difference to get worked up over if everything else that makes graphics matter still makes the game look great. That's all.

It was my post that you were responding to and I did not say this at all. I said that resolution matters to a lot of people, and the GPU industry is proof of this.

aravuus

Still gonna get it on X1 though.

How surprising

joking ofc

Anyway, I'm fine with any resolution as long as it's actually stable 60fps on PS4 too. I only went for the Playstation version over PC cause I feel CoD games are a bit... easier, I guess, on consoles, so don't make me regret my decision.. Dev. Sledgehammer? Whatever it was.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In all seriousness, do people still care? Unless you are literally sitting side by side with an Xbox One and a PS4 plugged in, can you tell? Let's say you can: does it really hinder your experience? Let's say it does: you sure you're playing games for the right reasons? Let's say you are: deal with it.
Yes, it's quite clear when something is being upscaled. It's easy to tell the difference.

The issue with 900p in console games is that it's not possible to output that resolution natively. It's always going to be upscaled.

Quotient

It doesn't matter now but as the generation progresses and engines begin to push these consoles will you be happy with 720p. If they try and maintain a higher resolution you may see sacrifices in other areas like effects.

T80RSws.gif
That's a great usage of this gif lol.

So certain of the fight only to be struck down quickly after a self-indulgent display.

Percy

Banned
Stop giving slixshot shit for his initial post in the thread already. How many times does he need to edit that post ffs? #leavebritneyalone

iratA

Good news that each system is using it's potential.

Still gonna get it on X1 though. Much prefer the online stability and the controller.

Glad to see level headed posts like these. Using a system's full potential is far from the big deal some make it out to be. The game will be enjoyed equally by all regardless of native res. Ubisoft take note.

ironcreed

Banned
It was my post that you were responding to and I did not say this at all. I said that resolution matters to a lot people, and the GPU industry is proof of this.

You said it cracks you up when people say that resolution does not matter. You are right in that it clearly does to many, else we would not be having this conversation. I just fail to see the humor in people who really don't mind such a difference. As I am one of them.

Euron

So what's the word on the campaign? Is it any good?
This is my biggest concern. The resolution doesn't surprise me at all despite AC: U and I'm glad Sledgehammer is getting the most they can out of the next gen consoles. But if the campaign isn't good, then I most likely won't buy the game. Graphically, the campaign looks incredible though so I'll give them that.

This is a case where resolution doesn't matter in the grand scheme for me, that controller and dev support on xbox is more important to me

ironcreed

Banned
It doesn't matter now but as the generation progresses and engines begin to push these consoles will you be happy with 720p. If they try and maintain a higher resolution you may see sacrifices in other areas like effects.

Obviously, the higher the better. Nobody can deny that. But if the game itself still looks like something that I will enjoy and still looks gorgeous with everything else going on? I'll be fine.

Top Bottom