• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

hoserx

if you have a 4c8t please just wait atleast for icelake 8c

I don't know if this is necessarily true for everyone. Original i7 processors like the 920 are 4c/8t and are probably ready for an upgrade now. You can always wait for more power, but these processors would be a good time to move if you are sick of waiting.

Built a PC with a 7700k earlier this year. Looking forward to the jump to a higher core count once I finally feel the need to upgrade. Exciting times!

hoserx

Built a PC with a 7700k earlier this year. Looking forward to the jump to a higher core count once I finally feel the need to upgrade. Exciting times!

Well, I think that you'll probably be okay for awhile with that 7700k. It's still intel's #1 gaming processor until it's dethroned by the 8700k. Even when it gets released, I am considering a 7700k build, hoping there will be good z270 motherboard deals after oct 5.

Well, I think that you'll probably be okay for awhile with that 7700k. It's still intel's #1 gaming processor until it's dethroned by the 8700k. Even when it gets released, I am considering a 7700k build, hoping there will be good z270 motherboard deals after oct 5.
Absolutely. It seems like most of previous i7 line has stayed fairly relevant performance wise, so here's to hoping that stays true for at least a few more years. I'll most likely upgrade my cooler and delid in the future as well to get some extra performance out of it. The chip I have overclocks pretty well, but it just gets too hot at the moment.

Here's to hoping Intel improves the way they transfer heat from the die to the IHS with this new line. It's ridiculous to even have to entertain the thought of delidding these processors to stay within decent temperature ranges.

hoserx

Absolutely. It seems like most of previous i7 line has stayed fairly relevant performance wise, so here's to hoping that stays true for at least a few more years. I'll most likely upgrade my cooler and delid in the future as well to get some extra performance out of it. The chip I have overclocks pretty well, but it just gets too hot at the moment.

Here's to hoping Intel improves the way they transfer heat from the die to the IHS with this new line. It's ridiculous to even have to entertain the thought of delidding these processors to stay within decent temperature ranges.

I read that they are doing in the same way as the 7700k still, apparently. : |

hoserx

I am not getting rid of the 6700k, it's simply going to join my 2500k as a spare machine to keep around the house. It should be a great machine to keep as a media PC.

What about the 8700k appeals to you? The additional cores? Clock per clock it isn't going to be much better than the 6700k in most applications.

Theonik

What about the 8700k appeals to you? The additional cores? Clock per clock it isn't going to be much better than the 6700k in most applications.
Both. It should be a pretty nice boost perf wise and the IPC + clock improvements justify a move to begin with.

m29a

Neo Member
With my 2500k (oc'd at 4.2, won't go higher) and 1070 combo, do you guys think an 8700k would be worth it?

The 2500k seems to do fine with standard 1080p 60fps but I'd be lying if I said it was always smooth, seems the frametimes are somewhat inconsistent with some occasional stutters in recent AAA games. 144hz sounds appealing...

I know reviews are coming out on the 5th, but part of me thinks waiting for Ice Lake is a possibility...

With my 2500k (oc'd at 4.2, won't go higher) and 1070 combo, do you guys think an 8700k would be worth it?

The 2500k seems to do fine with standard 1080p 60fps but I'd be lying if I said it was always smooth, seems the frametimes are somewhat inconsistent with some occasional stutters in recent AAA games. 144hz sounds appealing...

I know reviews are coming out on the 5th, but part of me thinks waiting for Ice Lake is a possibility...

I have the same issue with my 3570k @ 4.4ghz and I'm almost set on waiting for IceLake.

Steel

Banned

I'd wait for the reviews to pan out. The 8700k might not even be better for gaming in most applications than the 7700k. That being said, it's been time to upgrade the 2500k.

owasog

For 60fps gaming, upgrading to a 2600K might do the trick. A couple of months ago I replaced my 4.2Ghz 3570K with a 3770 and games like Watch Dogs and Dishonored 2 had noticeably less microstutters. 4C4T just doesn't feel smooth anymore in the latest games.

But if 144Hz is your goal I wouldn't bother and go straight to i7-8700K (or Ryzen 7).

Akoi

The fact these came out as fast as they did, and with as many cores as they are is amazing. Thank you AMD for making Intel get off their butts and change their lineup finally.(competition is amazing)

kuYuri

4K captures / 4K rendering / encoding and transcoding
3D modeling (AutoCAD/SolidWorks)
Streaming on Twitch @ 720p/60fps

I've got plenty of reason to upgrade.

I have a 4790k as well and my machine can stream to Twitch using Shadowplay at 1080p/60fps without breaking a sweat.

The other stuff though, yeah, it's definitely better to have more cores for that.

Zojirushi

Boy, buying CPUs sure was less complicated in Sandy/Ivy Bridge times. Just get the medium range i5 and be done because who cares about CPUs in gaming anyway right?

Now emulation is in a cool state and will only get better but needs high clocks while AAA stuff starts getting super CPU dependent with all that Open World business going on and shit even starts scaling with cores so 6c doesn't necessarily seem like a good idea if you plan to keep your CPU for a while.

Right now it feels like you can only make bad choices.

Top Bottom