• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Intel's 8th gen i5 and i7 may feature 6 cores.

5820K still going strong 2.5 years later, no need to upgrade until Lightroom and PS start choking on me. WIth that said thanks AMD for lighting a fire under intel's ass.

Yea, but i've just had wierd memory issues and stuff I've never had with other systems. I have brand new parts I've RMA'D and they still have issues. I think its the X99 boards though, across the board, no pun intended people seem to have similar issues. Quad channel ram issues seem to be a consistent one.

Intel may finally be pushed to accelerate their product schedules, with Ryzen in the market. They have been used to stretching each generation as long as possible.

All the talk of Intel being "scared" or in "damage control" is comical, though. That's commission based sales people type of blabbering.

A 1600X is all but hard capped at 4GHz for mere mortals. Delidding Intel chips are only if you're trying to push past 5GHz with custom loop. For "normal" people pushing 4.9GHz being at 60C instead of 80C doesn't have much difference. The single threaded performance is what's going to drive gaming performance and the Intel chips still have this in spades.

A little ambigious no?

beeswax

Yea, but i've just had wierd memory issues and stuff I've never had with other systems. I have brand new parts I've RMA'D and they still have issues. I think its the X99 boards though, across the board, no pun intended people seem to have similar issues. Quad channel ram issues seem to be a consistent one.
Can you expand on "weird memory issues and stuff" because as an X-99/5820k owner who pushes said hardware pretty hard, I've no idea what you're talking about.

SURGEdude

Intel may finally be pushed to accelerate their product schedules, with Ryzen in the market. They have been used to stretching each generation as long as possible.

All the talk of Intel being "scared" or in "damage control" is comical, though. That's commission based sales people type of blabbering.

Scared is an exaggeration, but I do think they got so used to AMD dropping the ball they were a bit taken by surprise when Ryzen actually turned out well.

My 5820k with 32GB of Corsair Vengeance Ram on a EVGA X99 Micro2 board has been 100% reliable since the day I built it last Summer. I haven't had to tweak or change a single thing since it booted up.

Total beast. Total overkill. Totally overspent. I love it.

dr_rus

Can you expand on "weird memory issues and stuff" because as an X-99/5820k owner who pushes said hardware pretty hard, I've no idea what you're talking about.
I'm running X99 for 13+ months now, with zero issues. So yeah, no idea where this is coming from.

I wonder if this means 4 cores will be pushed down to i3, and if this is the end of HT quad cores, unless those are somehow also represented on i5.

Kuga

I'm glad AMD's Ryzen is beginning to make Intel be slightly more competitive. It's about time that someone hindered their racket a bit.

I'm glad AMD's Ryzen is beginning to make Intel go honest. It's about time that someone hindered their racket a bit.

They haven't been able to do so for a decade due to the lack of funds following Intel screwing them over during the Pentium 4 days.

My 5820k with 32GB of Corsair Vengeance Ram on a EVGA X99 Micro2 board has been 100% reliable since the day I built it last Summer. I haven't had to tweak or change a single thing since it booted up.

Total beast. Total overkill. Totally overspent. I love it.

Multiple memory configurations have failed. I can only run on dual channel setup. Computer boots but no post with quad setup. All of the memory is still good, tested on other systems. I've extensively tested the ram, PSU, Mobo and CPU. RMA'd the Mobo, CPU and replaced the ram twice, they work for a month or two, then the system stops posting with more than two sticks again. Issues like these are all over the X99 boards, especially in relationship to my Mobo the MSI X99-SLI Plus. But I've found a lot of posts like that, and several forum moderators on MSI, ASUS and other forums I've been on have admitted there's been considerably more issues with the X99 boards than X170, X270 boards or past Intel based boards.

Yes I've checked that the Ram is compatible.

I'm OC'd on my CPU to 4.5 Ghz, but didn't increase my memory blck speeds or anything. CPU both my old and new one I tried with base settings, no OC and still the issue persists.

Multiple memory configurations have failed. I can only run on dual channel setup. Computer boots but no post with quad setup. All of the memory is still good, tested on other systems. I've extensively tested the ram, PSU, Mobo and CPU. RMA'd the Mobo, CPU and replaced the ram twice, they work for a month or two, then the system stops posting with more than two sticks again. Issues like these are all over the X99 boards, especially in relationship to my Mobo the MSI X99-SLI Plus. But I've found a lot of posts like that, and several forum moderators on MSI, ASUS and other forums I've been on have admitted there's been considerably more issues with the X99 boards than X170, X270 boards or past Intel based boards.

Yes I've checked that the Ram is compatible.

I'm OC'd on my CPU to 4.5 Ghz, but didn't increase my memory blck speeds or anything. CPU both my old and new one I tried with base settings, no OC and still the issue persists.

I avoided the MSI X99 boards because the reviews on Newegg weren't very good. Not surprising you haven't had much luck with one.

I avoided the MSI X99 boards because the reviews on Newegg weren't very good. Not surprising you haven't had much luck with one.

I have an MSI X99A Raider (the cheapest X99 board I know of) and I run 16 GB of DDR-3200 at 3200 in quad-channel with no issues. I also have a 5820K sitting at 4.3 on it. So I don't really see why we are throwing MSI under the bus here.

I have an MSI X99A Raider (the cheapest X99 board I know of) and I run 16 GB of DDR-3200 at 3200 in quad-channel with no issues. I also have a 5820K sitting at 4.3 on it. So I don't really see why we are throwing MSI under the bus here.

I'm sure there's plenty of people without issue, I just know respectively there's a lot more issues with the X99 boards then other intel boards and MSI has had some quality control issues with these boards.

Point being just that I'm ready to move on from the setup I have, I've never had as much issues as with this setup. I've tried pretty much every solution, tested every piece of hardware etc without success. Consulted forums for suggestions for dozens of hours, multiple RMA's etc. No success. Just frustrating. Its worked, still playing games and everything, it's just issues I shouldn't have to deal with, or at least get proper support from MSI about it. But myself, and many others have been unable to find a solution to the RAM issues. There's a lot of people with the same issue.

Renekton

I'm sure there's plenty of people without issue, I just know respectively there's a lot more issues with the X99 boards then other intel boards and MSI has had some quality control issues with these boards.
I have crappy luck with motherboards as well, so you're not alone ☺

Asus X99 first generation was notoriously bad, if I remembered correctly.

ethomaz

Banned
are 4 cores getting used well in most applications now?
In single apps? Outside some pro video encoding or 3D renders... not because Word, Excell, Patience, Chrone Will never really need a lot of cores.

But more cores means you can have more heavy apps open without affect each other... so multitasking/multithreading is improved a lot.

Not just 4-core. 8-Thread is the optimal gaming scenario currently.
That not exactly true... even the games that scale great on 8-cores didn't show improvement over 4-cores... there are few games you have beneficies over 8-cores.

Clock is still a big influence on games.

Locuza

will games start being optimized for more than 4 cores?
There are a lot of triple A games which scale beyond 4 or even 6 cores.
The actual question is, if the current or near term scaling can beat higher clock speeds or making a difference at high graphics setting?

Wait, same mobo maybe? Nice.
Rumors where floating around that you need a new socket, which has the same pin-count of 1151 but will labeled as v2.
But I'm not sure if that will be the case.

Will probably still go AMD next time. I guess we will see. My 6600K will last at least 3 more years

I wonder if this means 4 cores will be pushed down to i3, and if this is the end of HT quad cores, unless those are somehow also represented on i5.

Yeah they just need to enable Hyperthreading on everything and go i3 4core, i5 6 core i7 8core

Renekton

That not exactly true... even the games that scale great on 8-cores didn't show improvement over 4-cores... there are few games you have beneficies over 8-cores.

Clock is still a big influence on games.
This sounds like you're comparing 5960X with 7700K.

Try comparing 7700K (8 threads) with 7600K (4 threads) instead, especially games like BF1.

I remember when Intel revealed that the 8th generation will only be a 15% increase over kabylake. I guess a kick in balls is all it takes to even try to compete with AMD. I really hope that AMD gains even more market share from Intel. The more competition, the more it's better for the consumers.

Renekton

At computex in June, Intel said they would be releasing 2H 2017.
This is the part where I got confused :S

Later reported by Golem and PCGamesN that an Intel rep at Computex retconned it to December or early next year.

1151 has been a good choice so far, my little £500 pc is going to last a while with these kinds of upgrades.
You may need a new motherboard for this 8000 CPU line.

AYF 001

Point being just that I'm ready to move on from the setup I have, I've never had as much issues as with this setup. I've tried pretty much every solution, tested every piece of hardware etc without success. Consulted forums for suggestions for dozens of hours, multiple RMA's etc. No success. Just frustrating. Its worked, still playing games and everything, it's just issues I shouldn't have to deal with, or at least get proper support from MSI about it. But myself, and many others have been unable to find a solution to the RAM issues. There's a lot of people with the same issue.
I've had the same issue with my quad channel DDR4 on two MSI motherboards with a 5820k. RMA'd probably three times now. Right now I've underclocked my RAM to see if that'll prevent it from failing again. Sometimes it'll try to boot more than once now, but other than that it works fine.

56% of the reviews for that board are 1 and 2 stars on Newegg. Not the best of examples...

I have crappy luck with motherboards as well, so you're not alone ☺

Asus X99 first generation was notoriously bad, if I remembered correctly.

I've had the same issue with my quad channel DDR4 on two MSI motherboards with a 5820k. RMA'd probably three times now. Right now I've underclocked my RAM to see if that'll prevent it from failing again. Sometimes it'll try to boot more than once now, but other than that it works fine.

Yea, it's really only a minor annoyance, and really doesn't impact me for my usage too much. System is more than powerful enough. Just something that's not fun to deal with and I put a lot of time into researching and attempting inspection of the parts and fixes with no luck. The support I need outside a large cost to an expert just isn't there. And honestly I did a lot of what they would do, including voltage testing etc.

I love the system, the CPU is amazing. I'm just ready to move on to something that doesn't have these issues however minor. The nice thing is the CPU has essentially list no value since I purchased it two years ago for around $290 on a sale. Used ones go frequently for ~$300 so that's good news.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
We've been expecting this for months. Coffeelake was always gonna have more than 4 cores long before Ryzen came out.

If my z170 can support this i might be tempted to replace my 6700K. It does well for me but would just upgrade for the sake of it. Not interested in Ryzen as it'd mean a new cpu and motherboard and having to get a new cooler/upgrade kit.

Top Bottom