• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Intel's 8th gen i5 and i7 may feature 6 cores.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
People are thinking Intel will let them use their current motherboards?

I need a gif that goes from laughing to crying.

Crash331

I'm not an expert by any means but isn't owning an i7 7700K a safe purchase for several years? Aren't CPU's slower to age as opposed to GPU's?

I kept a first gen i7-870 for 7 years. Only reason I upgraded was because of Oculus and PUBG which isn't optimized that well. It ran everything else fine. CPU progress has been stalled for 5+ years. Maybe with Ryzen it will give Intel a shot in the arm, though.

TGMIII

This is the part where I got confused :S

Later reported by Golem and PCGamesN that an Intel rep at Computex retconned it to December or early next year.

Given that there's allegedly engineering samples out there, wouldn't that point to it releasing fairly soon. Don't Intel usually have a fast turn around from engineering sample to release?

If it's going to be December/early next year then I'll probably just get a Ryzen 7 now.

Matthew23

The wait for CL seems to be taking forever on my 2500k. I'm really curious how the 8700k is going to stack up against a 1600x. When the dust settles a 7700k might still be the choice for a pure gaming cpu.

The 1600x seems to be benching a little better than at launch in the recent YouTube videos I've seen, plus the money saved by going with Ryzen could be put toward a Ryzen 2 cpu in 2018/20 if need be.

If an 8700k can match a 7700k (and comes out in 2017) it will likely be my next cpu. This wait is painful.

The Argus

Guess next year is the year I replace my 3770K. Which unfortunately means new mobo, RAM, cooler, and probably case and SSD. It's been a fun 5+ years.

roytheone

I kept a first gen i7-870 for 7 years. Only reason I upgraded was because of Oculus and PUBG which isn't optimized that well. It ran everything else fine. CPU progress has been stalled for 5+ years. Maybe with Ryzen it will give Intel a shot in the arm, though.

I am still using this one! Such a great cpu.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
People are thinking Intel will let them use their current motherboards?

I need a gif that goes from laughing to crying.

not necessarily thinking or expecting. more like hoping. if they don't then no big deal because my 6700K is still doing fine for me but it would be nice if i could stick a 8700K in.

ezodagrom

Was worried that the clock for the 8700K would be lower than 3.5GHz, if 3.7GHz turns out to be true, I'm pretty interested in it. I guess it's time to retire my good old Phenom II X4.

ISee

The opposite would make it a hard sell compared to the i7-7800X.

Doesn't really matter, because both target a different audience in the first place. The 7800x is targeted at the enthusiast and profesional sector, has additional pci-e lanes, supports higher amounts of ram and will be more expansive than the 8700k, especially when you factor in the cost for the x299 platform. The 8700k is targeted at the mainstream sector and cheaper because of that.

Helznicht

Its crazy to see what a little competition can do. But anyways we are so far in front of min req's as far as cpu tech its crazy. Just build my daughter an PC with an i3 6100 and a used gtx 970. Division is her jam and it runs 60fps on ultra. A 6 core i7 would triple that performance, lol.

Kayant

Now let's see how these things will be priced. Spec wise striaght competition to Ryzen 5
Intel may finally be pushed to accelerate their product schedules, with Ryzen in the market. They have been used to stretching each generation as long as possible.

All the talk of Intel being "scared" or in "damage control" is comical, though. That's commission based sales people type of blabbering.
The "damage control" is there you only need to look at press slides used for recently released Skylake SP.

They're definitely "scared" in the sense AMD is a now a strong competitor that can actually steal some market share from them now.

Theonik

Is 6 cores enough though. I feel like this is a half step to 8.
Intel's cores are much faster than what AMD has on offer so these are to compete with AMD offering inexpensive 6-8 core CPUs. Having said that, less but faster cores is usually much better.
There is little technical reason to limit to 4 core CPUs for mainstream chips from Intel though 6 cores shouldn't impact the thermals of the package in a notable way.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Intel's cores are much faster than what AMD has on offer so these are to compete with AMD offering inexpensive 6-8 core CPUs. Having said that, less but faster cores is usually much better.
There is little technical reason to limit to 4 core CPUs for mainstream chips from Intel though 6 cores shouldn't impact the thermals of the package in a notable way.

Eh, I wouldn't say much faster. AMD is an option now.

laxu

Its crazy to see what a little competition can do. But anyways we are so far in front of min req's as far as cpu tech its crazy. Just build my daughter an PC with an i3 6100 and a used gtx 970. Division is her jam and it runs 60fps on ultra. A 6 core i7 would triple that performance, lol.

Probably wouldn't though because compared to GPUs, CPUs are pretty underutilized in most games. When I upgraded from a similarly clocked 3570K to 6600K I had to go to 4K res in a CPU heavy game like GTA V to see a notable difference (occasional dips under 30 vs solid 30 fps).

While current consoles are 8-core, they are at miserably low clocks compared to basically any PC, not to mention the architectural deficiencies. I'd say 6-8 core CPUs become a good choice only somewhere around 2019 or 2020 when a PS5 might come out. Before that I doubt they will make much of a difference for gaming.

Theonik

Eh, I wouldn't say much faster. AMD is an option now.
A Ryzen core is comparable to a broadwell core from 2-3 years ago. It getting delayed has largely dulled its impact, even Skylake has a pretty decent IPC bump over that.

Where Intel lagged behind was in pricing and namely on their higher than 4 core offerings. Competition is great here because Intel has been holding back for years. The jump was long overdue.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A Ryzen core is comparable to a broadwell core from 2-3 years ago. It getting delayed has largely dulled its impact, even Skylake has a pretty decent IPC bump over that.

Where Intel lagged behind was in pricing and namely on their higher than 4 core offerings. Competition is great here because Intel has been holding back for years. The jump was long overdue.

Yeah, but we are talking about a very small IPC jump over those 2-3 years (make that 4, actually). Kabylake has the same as Skylake. We don't know how much of a jump there new Inter CPU's will have, but I would be very surprised if its 20% over Haswell, let alone Broadwell and Ryzen. The difference isn't much, and extra cores of a similarly priced Ryzen may offset the smaller IPC difference for many applications.

GodofWine

1151 has been a good choice so far, my little £500 pc is going to last a while with these kinds of upgrades.

Came to say this.

Wonder if this was partly to dissuade people going to Ryzen, I know if I had to basically start from the MOBO again in a couple years, I'd consider it, now Im just a quick CPU swap away from making my (really awesome) g4560 build a beast.

Theonik

Yeah, but we are talking about a very small IPC jump over those 2-3 years (make that 4, actually). Kabylake has the same as Skylake. We don't know how much of a jump there new Inter CPU's will have, but I would be very surprised if its 20% over Haswell, let alone Broadwell and Ryzen. The difference isn't much, and extra cores of a similarly priced Ryzen may offset the smaller IPC difference for many applications.
Don't forget, clocks are noticeably worse between the two. The gap per core is 20-30% with between Skylake-X and Ryzen 5 which are the best performers either player has in high-core configurations.
(Skylake is a big jump from Haswell and Broadwell and Kaby gives pretty good clock clock bumps considering it's a refresh, Skylake-X has some nice IPC optimisations)

I'm sitting here with a 2500k trying to make my next processor last as long as this one.

I'm at the same spot.

I could go Amd but I still want that clock speed for emulation.

Same here. Still on this 2500k and failing 6 year old tower, still not seeing anything that seems just right to switch to. Do I go for Intel which is more expensive and runs like a furnace but has more grunt for games, or do I go for AMD which is better for streaming and running loads of stuff while playing a game but worse for games, plus potentially get stuck with a more expensive upgrade path if AMD's next line sucks again....

My wallet and heart are saying Ryzen, my head says Intel, both are arguing hard enough that the end result is waiting and doing nothing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget, clocks are noticeably worse between the two. The gap per core is 20-30% with between Skylake-X and Ryzen 5 which are the best performers either player has in high-core configurations.
(Skylake is a big jump from Haswell and Broadwell and Kaby gives pretty good clock clock bumps considering it's a refresh, Skylake-X has some nice IPC optimisations)
Regular KabyLake does have an significant clock advantage, but has Skylake-X been consistently clocked at over 4.5Ghz on all cores? While is indeed a shame that Ryzen can't reach over 4Ghz consistently, KabyLake has problems on its own, with many reporting out of control temperatures at over 4.5Ghz OC's. After all, people arent deliding their 7700k for nothing.

When staying at stock speeds, the difference isn't enough to complete supersede the number of cores advantage. I'm on a 5930k and I'm in no hurry to upgrade, as it reaches stable 4.5Ghz on all cores easily, and I fail to see how the same wouldn't apply to an OC 1700x, as it has (a bit) higher IPC and two more cores to mitigate the clock disadvantages.

Theonik

Regular KabyLake does have an significant clock advantage, but has Skylake-X been consistently clocked at over 4.5Ghz on all cores? While is indeed a shame that Ryzen can't reach over 4Ghz consistently, KabyLake has problems on its own, with many reporting out of control temperatures at over 4.5Ghz OC's. After all, people arent deliding their 7700k for nothing.

When staying at stock speeds, the difference isn't enough to complete supersede the number of cores advantage. I'm on a 5930k and I'm in no hurry to upgrade, as it reaches stable 4.5Ghz on all cores easily, and I fail to see how the same wouldn't apply to an OC 1700x, as it has (a bit) higher IPC and two more cores to mitigate the clock disadvantages.
Only comparing stock clocks here. For many tasks single core performance is king and basically anything lower than 8 core ryzen is pointless. Intel bringing out skylake x has reduced the appeal of ryzen significantly.

dr_rus

Intel Core i7-8700K, i7-8700, i5-8600K, i5-8400 specs emerge

iE0c.png

Top Bottom