• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dissidia Final Fantasy coming to Arcade in November (NEXT MONTH!!!)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So much hype if true.

They said that it would come a year after Arcade so I hope that they would keep their words :D

I see Firion and Cecil in those screenshots :eek:

EDIT: From 4gamer.

That's good. I'm pretty sure that everyone would come back for Heroes and Villains sides. Since we already saw almost everyone on heroes side, so I would like to see Zidane, Tidus, Vaan and Shantatto (or Prishe) soon.

OmegaDL50

More like November 2017 on PS4.

Why do you say this?

Square especially said the game would be in Arcades for at least 1 year before releasing it on the PS4.

It's not like Team Ninja who is co-developing alongside SE has a tendency to delay their projects.

Also just because one FF game took a long time to come out does not imply every single game after the fact will be delayed as well.

miku

Some pictures from Famitsu

6rfVIpt.jpg

Gr9SStF.jpg

Loona

I wonder if Cecil will switch between paladin for air moves and dark knight for ground moves like in the PSP games - considering how they changed Bartz, maybe they've revised this character concept too?

Son Of D

So if there aren't any removals from Duodecim (except the boss character Feral Chaos) this is what the roster is looking like so far:

FFI - Warrior of Light and Garland
FFII - Firion and The Emperor
FFIII - Onion Knight and Cloud of Darkness
FFIV - Cecil, Kain and Golbez
FFV - Bartz, Exdeath and Gilgamesh
FFVI - Terra and Kefka
FFVII - Cloud, Tifa, Aerith (assist only in Duodecim, but I can see her becoming playable this time round) and Sephiroth
FFVIII - Squall, Laguna and Ultimecia
FFIX - Zidane and Kuja
FFX - Tidus, Yuna and Jecht
FFXI - Shantotto and Prishe
FFXII - Vaan and Gabranth
FFXIII - Lightning
FFXIV - Y'shtola
FF Tactics - Ramza (Post launch character)

33 characters out of the planned 50+ roster.

TreIII

So if there aren't any removals from Duodecim (except the boss character Feral Chaos) this is what the roster is looking like so far:

FFI - Warrior of Light and Garland
FFII - Firion and The Emperor
FFIII - Onion Knight and Cloud of Darkness
FFIV - Cecil, Kain and Golbez
FFV - Bartz, Exdeath and Gilgamesh
FFVI - Terra and Kefka
FFVII - Cloud, Tifa, Aerith (assist only in Duodecim, but I can see her becoming playable this time round) and Sephiroth
FFVIII - Squall, Laguna and Ultimecia
FFIX - Zidane and Kuja
FFX - Tidus, Yuna and Jecht
FFXI - Shantotto and Prishe
FFXII - Vaan and Gabranth
FFXIII - Lightning
FFXIV - Y'shtola
FF Tactics - Ramza (Post launch character)

33 characters out of the planned 50+ roster.

Whatever they may do to flesh out the roster after those more or less expected picks is what excites me the most. Especially if that old quote about selections based on "function instead of just popularity" holds up.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For people who don't really follow the news, here are the information that might make you exciting.

The following is a list of known playable characters set to appear in Dissidia Final Fantasy. Upon the game's initial release, its cast of playable characters will only be 14, however it is the developers goal to get the number of playable characters over 50 with a series of updates to come post release.[9] The developers have even said that once the 50 characters are finished, they would like to include even more as to them "50 feels like a small number". They also wish for all characters playable in the previous Dissidia titles to return

It was decided early on to go with a 3 vs 3 concept.[13] The developers wanted to give the game the "FF party feeling" by including multiple characters to a player's side.[5] A 1 vs 1 concept was ruled out as Team Ninja already had a 1 vs 1 fighting game IP (Dead or Alive), so even if the team was to create a new one it would inevitably be the same fundamental gameplay and the team felt it would be difficult to alter that into something distinct. 3 vs 3 allowed the developers to think of something new, and a chance for players to co-operate with friends, play against others, and create a team they could call a "party."

Conceptually the new Dissidia Final Fantasy game was to be fun to play socially, but also fun to play seriously. When releasing an arcade game it's not enough to just be fun socially, as players need to understand why they lost. Hayashi explained to Kujiraoka why it was necessary for the game to be fun on the basis of pure action and that's why the RPG elements of the previous Dissidia games needed to be mostly stripped. Kujiraoka in turn had Hayashi play Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy to showcase the feel of the game he was looking for.

Whatever they may do to flesh out the roster after those more or less expected picks is what excites me the most. Especially if that old quote about selections based on "function instead of just popularity" holds up.

I'm pretty sure that they are going to add Noctis and Minwu to the roster tho. I hopefully wish they would add more characters based on their unique gameplays as well. There are many different kind of characters that could play so differently compare to the characters that we already have in the game.

Golnei

It's interesting how that statement about increasing the focus on the immediate action-based gameplay jars with what seems to be a simplification of the options available to the player in the media we've seen so far. Hopefully the change of style they're going for ends up working out well...

even if the team was to create a new one it would inevitably be the same fundamental gameplay and the team felt it would be difficult to alter that into something distinct.

Because the first game was indistinguishable from DOA...? Though if that Squall vs. Bartz footage was any indication, they are still allowing you to do 1v1 battles, even if they'd be negatively affected by the balancing and mechanics being intended for 3v3.

Golnei

I haven't kept up with this but... what are the controls like? Seems like they would be a nightmare for a cabinet.

They're essentially just an adaptation of a PS_ controller.

iyfr8qzyvr5wsbzgqezo.jpg

Along with the arcade game running off what's basically a PS4; it's possible that Sony's level of involvement in the game would prevent a port to anything but the PS4. Hopefully it's more of a SFV situation, I'd love it if the game were in a position to be modded to the extent of Duodecim.

Nose Master

They're essentially just an adaptation of a PS_ controller.

iyfr8qzyvr5wsbzgqezo.jpg

Along with the arcade game running off what's basically a PS4; it's possible that Sony's level of involvement in the game would prevent a port to anything but the PS4. Hopefully it's more of a SFV situation, I'd love it if the game were in a position to be modded to the extent of Duodecim.

I need this in my life.

I read somewhere not too long ago that some arcades were starting to remove that "School of Ragnarok" arcade fighting game also published by Square because it wasn't being played (the game came out a few months ago).

Hopefully it turns out better for Dissidia >.>

Anyway, anyone knows what the reception of the game over there has been so far?

Son Of D

I'm hoping for Edgar myself. I want that Tools action.

I'm expecting Caius as a XIII-series villain. Ashe/Balthier, Zack, X-2 character (either X-2 RIkku or Paine). Noctis is a maybe for the PS4 version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just hope the PS4 version has a fully featured story mode complete with cut-scenes and dialogue

PulseONE

Hmmm, stripping down of the RPG mechanics is a little disappointing. I loved spending hours trying to craft stuff

Then again, after finally maxing things out, I'd usually play with the equipmentless ruleset so it'd be a fair fight, so I can see where they're coming from

I just hope the PS4 version has a fully featured story mode complete with cut-scenes and dialogue

Indeed, me too. The best thing about Dissidia was seeing characters from different games interacting with one another.

TreIII

Hmmm, stripping down of the RPG mechanics is a little disappointing. I loved spending hours trying to craft stuff

Then again, after finally maxing things out, I'd usually play with the equipmentless ruleset so it'd be a fair fight, so I can see where they're coming from

Eh, in my case, I'm glad the stuff is looking to be excised for the main mode(s) of play. But if, for the console port, they want to bring back the grinding for the Story/Mission mode(s) and perhaps a separate vs. mode where people can go nuts with that kind of thing, by all means. The only "grinding" I'd want to be required of me is in the lab.

Eh, in my case, I'm glad the stuff is looking to be excised for the main mode(s) of play. But if, for the console port, they want to bring back the grinding for the Story/Mission mode(s) and perhaps a separate vs. mode where people can go nuts with that kind of thing, by all means. The only "grinding" I'd want to be required of me is in the lab.

At the very least I want equipment to stick around. I loved tinkering with sets that increased effects, like wall rush.

At the very least I want equipment to stick around. I loved tinkering with sets that increased effects, like wall rush.

Yeah, I think keeping equipment would be ideal, especially if they smooth out the power level so everything is balanced but still allow people to tune characters to their play styles.

Razmos

I hope Beatrix gets added, I'd love to see a none-chibi 3D model for her.

And Selphie/Quistis, I could easily see them come up with some cool movesets based on their unique weapons. Selphie could also use a random Slots based magic style while Quistis can use random blue magic.

Raijinken

Does anyone know how big the dev team for the game is? Once the game comes out in November they're going to be updating the game constantly with more characters, stages, summons, music, equipment, balance changes, and some other things so I'm wondering if we'll actually see the game in November or December 2016 like people are already expecting if they want to include a story mode in there somewhere...

PulseONE

Well even in Duodecim, outside of story mode you could play while ignoring equipment by using the rulesets, so yeah I agree, that would be ideal

TreIII

Yeah, I think keeping equipment would be ideal, especially if they smooth out the power level so everything is balanced but still allow people to tune characters to their play styles.

If it can stay balanced for even the "standard" play, that'd be fine by me. Just as long it's something that a) works organically with the game and b) is something that can be adjusted quickly on the character-select/party prep screen (like say, the player can select from two-three favorite layouts for their chosen character).

I would be okay if they did away with equipment if they add something else we can mess around with.

And I absolutely agree that the only necessary grind should be in the lab =X

Does anyone know how big the dev team for the game is? Once the game comes out in November they're going to be updating the game constantly with more characters, stages, summons, music, equipment, balance changes, and some other things so I'm wondering if we'll actually see the game in November or December 2016 like people are already expecting if they want to include a story mode in there somewhere...
One year is technically the period that it'll be exclusive for arcades, it does not mean in the slightest that they'll put the console version out as soon as the deal ends.

I actually don't even expect them to announce something before this time next year...

TreIII

I would be okay if they did away with equipment if they add something else we can mess around with.

And I absolutely agree that the only necessary grind should be in the lab =X

My man~!

But to try and extend an olive branch of compromise, it's certainly something I'd be willing to entertain if Team Ninja could make it work in a way similar to what I outlined above. Even Gundam Vs. has flirted with the idea of giving the player what kind of "Burst" (Super Mode activation, in a nutshell) they wanted to use, from time to time. And realistically, I'm not expecting them to get everything right upon release, either. But thankfully, that's what the first year or so in the arcades will hammer out long before we have to worry about it.

If it can stay balanced for even the "standard" play, that'd be fine by me. Just as long it's something that a) works organically with the game and b) is something that can be adjusted quickly on the character-select/party prep screen (like say, the player can select from two-three favorite layouts for their chosen character).

The latter was already a thing. And aside from artifact equipment, it was already balanced.

Top Bottom