• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dissidia Final Fantasy coming to Arcade in November (NEXT MONTH!!!)

Raijinken

Well there's always the hope of alternate costumes :p

I'd love to see this one in particular

latest

It's already been confirmed that alternate costumes will return.

Golnei

Nice. I do wish this were the default for Bartz though, the other one just feels to skinny, wrong and completely different from what you actually played as in the game, Amano art be damned for once:

He's just as skinny there, but the baggier clothing hides it - thankfully his proportions are a little better here. I do prefer his SNES hair, though. And the dancer outfit has to return.

Awesome, hopefully we'll get more variations too!

Considering the focus on teams, I hope we'll get some options for colour palettes along with the proper costumes. The PSP games already had some texture swaps (green-haired Terra, Exdeath Soul etc.); it'd be neater if they didn't have them take up the same category as full costumes; which could also allow options like a green-haired alt for all of Terra's outfits, or white-haired Amano variants of all of Bartz and Lightning's.

Wazzy

Banned
Christ the models look amazing! That's honestly the best HD Cloud I've seen and if VIIR does that I'll actually be very happy with the art direction.

Now I'm hoping they fixed Squall's shit ass look from Dissidia and actually make him look like his VIII self.

Son Of D

Where is my men SQUALL?

He was revealed alongside Bartz a few months back. But these new screens have been characters from FFI to FFVII. So FFVIII to FFXIV screens and info should come with the next Famitsu alongside reveals of Zidane, Tidus, Shantotto (or Prishe) and Vaan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm rooting for Prishe for being first FFXI representative in Arcade because she is actually main character for plots when Shantatto isn't.

Wazzy

Banned
BrokenThinAnnelida.gif

They showed him off a while back, they just decided to leave him out here for some reason; maybe they want to reveal the cast in sequential order. He should be in the starting lineup regardless.
Ugh they kept those awful side flaps.

I really hope they changed him a bit more than what is seen here.

Loona

I'm rooting for Prishe for being first FFXI representative in Arcade because she is actually main character for plots when Shantatto isn't.

On the other hand, Prishe is only present in Chains of Promathia, has a counterpart by the end of Abyssea like most characters in the central continents, plus the more recent Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, where all the "mission girls" show up.

Shantotto has a wider presence in the game: big role in the Windurst missions, several quest lines, a presence in CoP, a fair chunk of Treasures of Aht Urghan, the whole Shantotto Ascension mini-expansion, and she got to invade FFXIV.
Also, her playstyle is pretty distinct in Dissidia.

Golnei

Damn, I REALLY want an full, HD FF game where Amano does the main character designs!

Doesn't necessarily have to be FF; but it'd be a shame if there weren't some big-budget project using his art.

Ugh they kept those awful side flaps.

I really hope they changed him a bit more than what is seen here.

I doubt it, seeing how most other characters are unchanged from their Dissidia outfits - though the colour of Cloud's uniform being altered to be more in line with his Compilation one does suggest some changes can be made, there's no other current standardised depiction of Squall during FF8 which could replace his Dissidia one.

Golnei

Is Seifer going to be in this game?

Cuz big fail if not.

He wasn't in the first two because he was deemed too similar to Squall compared to Laguna and Ultimecia, and a few of his moves were absorbed into Squall's moveset; which looks to have been carried over mostly faithfully here (with a couple of additions, like junctioning.) I wouldn't be completely shocked if he's in, but the precedent would suggest that if anyone new from VIII makes it, it'll be someone like Rinoa.

He wasn't in the first two because he was deemed too similar to Squall compared to Laguna and Ultimecia, and a few of his moves were absorbed into Squall's moveset; which looks to have been carried over mostly faithfully here (with a couple of additions, like junctioning.) I wouldn't be completely shocked if he's in, but the precedent would suggest that if anyone new from VIII makes it, it'll be someone like Rinoa.
That would make 3 heroes from FF8 though. At this point Seifer would make more sense.

Golnei

That would make 3 heroes from FF8 though. At this point Seifer would make more sense.

Duodecim didn't seem to have much of a problem having multiple Cosmos characters for each game; I'm not sure if balancing protagonists and antagonists was ever much of a factor outside of the first game. And considering that the playable characters of each game usually have more material to work from as well as generally being the more popular focal points of the cast, it'd make sense for them to continue to be chosen - the treatment of 11 and 13 in the series so far would also support that; with Gabranth being an exception due to being part of the first game and subject to their desire for a balanced selection. I think a split of 3/1 or 2/1 protagonists to an antagonist for each game would probably be the way the roster ends up; with a few characters from games like Tactics.

Doesn't necessarily have to be FF; but it'd be a shame if there weren't some big-budget project using his art.
The reason why I want a FF like that. I don't think there would be any other game that would allow such quality for his designs, and the models seen in this game look the best regarding Amano's art being translated into 3D models. Firion(even though I prefer the name Frioniel cause it sounds more "angelic", and given the theme of FFII, might be more fitting of a name given the whole "Hell" thing) looks just like his art, only in 3D. I think out of all the artists that have tried to "mediate" between Amano's art and CG/3D art, Nomura is the best. Other artists seem to focus on changing stuff that might not work, while Nomura seems to be focused on keeping as much of the look as possible(and MAKES it work). That's why his Dissidia depictions of Amano's look so true to the original style. Damn, I LOVE it.

And to think, when Dissidia(the first one) was originally announced, people said it was ONLY going to consist of characters from Nomura FF games. Their reason for this speculation was that Nomura favored the characters HE drew, felt strange about drawing Amano's characters and, well, Nomura's characters were more popular, therefore deserve the spotlight over non-Nomura characters. I'm SOOOOO fuckin' glad these people's predictions fell FLAT on their fuckin faces. Announcing ALL the FF characters and seeing Nomura draw and brilliantly mimic Amano's style... it's just breathtaking.

Top Bottom