• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA "aggressively persusading" WiiU be Origin-only for an advantage over Steam

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
tycoonheart said:
This rumor says valve is still in play.
Yeah, but earlier in the year people were saying that Valve was going to help Nintendo build the Wii U's infrastructure from the ground up. I can envision some kind of partnership, but something that intensive seems unlikely. I would do fucking backflips if it turned out to be true, but I'm cynical.

[Nintex]

Jocchan said:
The rumor isn't saying Origin will be the WiiU's official online service. It's saying developers have the freedom to use their own services, and EA is pushing to try and make Origin the de facto standard to cut Steam(works) out.
We got that much from Ubisoft at E3, kinda - sorta. Like I said the wild west but that's still better than friendcodes.

rpmurphy

To me it sounds like EA's saying to Nintendo "Hey, instead of having your people develop Wii U's online infrastructure based on our expectations of the service, why not just use our service instead?"

MikeE21286 said:
It'll be like a combination of ps2 and early ps3 if i had to guess. Probably reminiscent of something 5-7 years old
The ps3 never had a fragmented marketplace. You buy and download everything direct from Sony.

KingJ2002

If Nintendo goes the multi-service route... it gives way to more MMO experiences on consoles as well... imagine WOW on the Wii U thanks to their open service policy.

i'm sure nintendo won't let things get out of hand with their system as they don't want to confuse their userbase but... given the right deal and specifics in place... the Wii U could possibly deliver what others couldn't

outunderthestars said:
It's not about the store, as much as it about the online gaming framework.
Why would EA be involved in developing online infrastructure for Wii-U? They can buy Open Feint dev and be done with it.

[Nintex]

KingJ2002 said:
If Nintendo goes the multi-service route... it gives way to more MMO experiences on consoles as well... imagine WOW on the Wii U thanks to their open service policy.
Or Dragon Quest X

Wait.

I would buy a steam powered console in a heart beat. Steam having a partnership with Valve would probably lead to some awesome nintendo franchises hitting pcs eventually too.

EA well they can just disappear I wouldn't miss them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
[Nintex] said:
We got that much from Ubisoft at E3, kinda - sorta. Like I said the wild west but that's still better than friendcodes.
Yep.
As I said in the other thread, I expect things to work pretty much like Portal 2 using Steamworks on PS3. Still, this doesn't imply Nintendo won't have a centralized "default" service on their own.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
gibon3z said:
I would buy a steam powered console in a heart beat. Steam having a partnership with Valve would probably lead to some awesome nintendo franchises hitting pcs eventually too.

Nintendo making PC games would be the best thing ever. That's why it won't happen :(

Instro

Ideally what will happen is that all the publishers will be allowed their own system, but everything would tie back into a main Nintendo account for achievements and so on. One log in for everything, but pubs are free to run their service how they want.

^ From what little we've heard about the online, that's about how it sounds to me Instro.

Meisadragon said:
Nintendo should have complete control over their online service. They shouldn't make it Origin exclusive. Although, this source seems a bit... iffy.

Right now, Nintendo is on the back foot, since PSN and Xbox Live are much developed and they need a lot of third-party support. Reggie did say Wii U's online system will be flexible for publishers, so does that mean we will be seeing various services there?

No, it's actually fine.

They will. This is about digital distribution not the actual online service. That's why EA wants Origin to be exclusive. Rough example but, imagine Xbox Live except with Origin being the only way 3rd parties could have their games downloaded.

IceCold

gibon3z said:

I strongly doubt that.

lockload

What exactly would origin offer nintendo

All it does is allow games to be downloaded, its not like it has steam like features for achievements, savegames etc

speculawyer said:
EA has a history of being a bully. They fought hard against MSFT regarding xbox live.
It's Nintendo we are talking about, they won't be bullied, they won't let others use them to bully others, they use others to bully others though

gibon3z said:

Doubtful.

Instro

lockload said:
What exactly would origin offer nintendo

All it does is allow games to be downloaded, its not like it has steam like features for achievements, savegames etc
I think they might just talking about the shop services.

JGS

Banned
From a console perspective, I would get nintendo partnering with EA. It also may help ensure they get the same 3rd parties.

My preference is Valve, but that's for PC. I understand why both (& others) would want on even if WiiU is a dud (Which I don't believe it will be).

dani_dc

I don't see this happening, outsourcing your whole online system to a single company like EA sounds like an awful idea.

I expect the Wii U to be very much like PS2 but with some better infrastructure due to publishers using either their own structure through all their games (Uplay for Ubisoft and Origin for EA).
The others will simply release a game-by-game system or use someone else infrastructure if they don't have their own (Uplay, Origin and Steam could be front runners here I imagine).

Here's hoping Valve jumps on this, if someone has to gains the upper hand (and I imagine one of the services will gain it) I prefer it to be Valve to EA or Ubisoft.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Instro said:
Ideally what will happen is that all the publishers will be allowed their own system, but everything would tie back into a main Nintendo account for achievements and so on. One log in for everything, but pubs are free to run their service how they want.
That's pretty much what I'm expecting to happen. Nintendo would use their own service, developed jointly with some contractor, and third parties would be free to choose whatever service they want to use (again, like Portal 2 on PS3). I doubt Nintendo itself would use Origin or Steamworks.

dani_dc

chubigans said:
This sounds like such BS, especially the part with Valve.
I really don't see why the Valve part would sound like BS, they brought Steam to PS3 this year and I imagine it would be of their interest to bring it up to more platforms if possible.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You can bet both EA and Valve will try to expand Origin and Steam to consoles in the future. There's plenty of money to be made. Maybe Ubisoft will join the party with Uplay as well (and I can't see Activision watching from the sidelines for long either).

Unai

Just think how awsome it would be if when you turn on wii u day one, you could download the wii U games that you bought through steam, like Batman AC e Darksiders 2.

Too good to happen, tough.

Jocchan said:
That's pretty much what I'm expecting to happen. Nintendo would use their own service, developed jointly with some contractor, and third parties would be free to choose whatever service they want to use (again, like Portal 2 on PS3). I doubt Nintendo itself would use Origin or Steamworks.
Who decides the prices and the DRM?

TheNatural

My Member!
This is probably BS, but an EA service on a console does make a lot more sense than Steam does to be realistic. Valve's world is the PC, EA's world is consoles. Getting an EA online system implemented and Nintendo putting its games on that online infrastructure would be a hell of a start for the system. I wonder how this is going to work though, with other third parties putting their games online though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The WiiU seems like a complete clusterfuck right now. I am terrified of the next generation. Publishers managed to fuck people so hard into the ground this go around that everyone seems numb to day one DLC, locked off content, season passes and god knows what else. Nintendo playing the ""whatever you want publishers!!" approach is a nightmare in the making.

rpmurphy

[Nintex] said:
Wii U is going to be the wild west of online experiences. Activision and Ubisoft games will make use of something that is not Origin for starters.
I really doubt it. I just don't see Nintendo going from what they have to an even more cumbersome online system that will make less people want to use the service than now. Why would the average user of a Nintendo system want to pop in a game only to be told they have to set up a new account with Origin, and then the next game they put in, they have to sign up with Steam? They're not PC gamers who are accustomed to these things. These are people who want as little overhead as possible and wants to access the content very quickly.

What does "aggressively persuade" mean?

Does it mean: a) Let me put Origin on here and we'll be BFF! :) Or b) Let me put Origin on here or no EA games on the Wii U?

Ezalc

gibon3z said:

A thinly veiled Nintendo doom and gloom post?

JosephManderley said:
What does "aggressively persuade" mean?

Does it mean: a) Let me put Origin on here and we'll be BFF! :) Or b) Let me put Origin on here or no EA games on the Wii U?

Exclusive content, I'd wager.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
rpmurphy said:
I really doubt it. I just don't see Nintendo going from what they have to an even more cumbersome online system that will make less people want to use the service than now. Why would the average user of a Nintendo system want to pop in a game only to be told they have to set up a new account with Origin, and then the next game they put in, they have to sign up with Steam? They're not PC gamers who are accustomed to these things. These are people who wants as little overhead as possible and wants to access the content very quickly.
This is the same company who required you to have a unique friend code for every game you bought. To add a friend you both had to enter each other's friend codes.

I too am I little concerned about Nintendo's online strategy for WiiU. It really seems like they have no idea what they are doing in the online space.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Good, then we may get better DD pricing.

Exactly. The competition should keep prices in check.

Pocks said:
I don't understand how the term exclusive ties into this. Can anyone elaborate?

Imagine Activision wanting Call of Duty to be available for download on Wii U. Guess who would be the only one that goes through?

FyreWulff

Acosta said:
Why Nintendo, of all companies, would accept a third party system as exclusive provider for their online strategy.

It makes no sense.

Because they already farmed out the online to Gamespy for the DS and the Wii?

This rumour goes as far back as E3 2011. EA are clearly partnering with Nintendo on something big (as their buddy buddy announcement during that conference made obvious) and it's highly likely that they are providing the back end service for the Wii U's online service (replacing Gamespy, which ran Nintendo WiFi Connection)

I've been saying this for months. Origin will be the backend service that all online Wii U games will run on top of.

Say goodbye to any possible hope of Valve releasing any of their games on the Wii U.

Top Bottom