• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA "aggressively persusading" WiiU be Origin-only for an advantage over Steam

The M.O.B

Would be amazing to be able to start up dedicated Servers on your PC Steam/Origin, and then be able to play on that server with your WiiU.

But pipedreams and all that

Varna

Meisadragon said:
No, it's actually fine.

Fine? The thing is a joke. Origin does nothing for BF3. Not even the friendlist carries over. Thing was just obviously a ploy to have it installed on as many pcs as possible.

BurntPork

Banned
Marrshu said:
I'm really worried about the Wii U's online plans. If this turns into a situation where I need more than one login, I'm jumping back to the Xbox ship. Thankfully Nintendo will probably keep EA in check so I'm not too worried about Origin.
What if they're are accounts from each publisher, but they're tied to your Nintendo account permanently after your first log-in? As in, you only need to sign in to each account (except your Nintendo account once?

Seriously, if they really are going "wild west," that's obviously how Nintendo would handle it. I don't get why people are acting like you'd have to sign in to all of your accounts every time you start the console...

H_Prestige said:
You mean we would have the same games being sold through Nintendo and Origin's stores?

No, just that it would be tricky for Ubisoft(for example) to sell a game for £50 if EA(again, for example) sells their games for £30.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pie and Beans said:
Publishers managed to fuck people so hard into the ground this go around that everyone seems numb to day one DLC, locked off content, season passes and god knows what else.
And next generation is going to be worse. The search for new sources of revenue won't certainly stop here :p

rpmurphy said:
I really doubt it. I just don't see Nintendo going from what they have to an even more cumbersome online system that will make less people want to use the service than now. Why would the average user of a Nintendo system want to pop in a game only to be told they have to set up a new account with Origin, and then the next game they put in, they have to sign up with Steam? They're not PC gamers who are accustomed to these things. These are people who want as little overhead as possible and wants to access the content very quickly.
Well, who said they would have to set up a new account manually for every service? In theory, the game could create one automatically, linked to the default Nintendo service (be it a friend code or something else), and allow users to optionally merge this account to their main, in case they have one already.
Not saying this is going to happen, just saying it's not necessarily going to be any more cumbersome and could be implemented transparently to the end user.

Nuclear Muffin said:
This rumour goes as far back as E3 2011. EA are clearly partnering with Nintendo on something big (as their buddy buddy announcement during that conference made obvious) and it's highly likely that they are providing the back end service for the Wii U's online service (replacing Gamespy, which ran Nintendo WiFi Connection)

I've been saying this for months. Origin will be the backend service that all online Wii U games will run on top of.

Say goodbye to any possible hope of Valve releasing any of their games on the Wii U.

Nintendo partnered with EA to help them design the online service.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-27-ea-wii-u-can-do-anything-ps3-360-can

I've never believed Origin would be involved at that level. Let's not forget about this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cl...ong-Nintendo-Acer-Cloud-Technology,13112.html

Derrick01 said:
Yeah because nothing says competition like EA getting involved.

As far as I'm concerned EA is only helping them to design how the system will work. This Origin exclusivity is a different topic from that. Pubs being able to use their own service would make competition better.

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
Once again for a new page:

This rumor is about some digital distribution services.
Not the online setup as a whole.
I'm not sure if Nintendo is interested in this EA offer they would be interested in the other part of the online stuff as well. It would save them a lot of time and money if they just took Origin and ran with it instead of developing their own online system and they would at least have every EA game on their system as well. Also, Warner Bros. THQ and Capcom already signed up for Origin anyway so that's 4 third party publishers in the pocket. I think Take2, Namco Bandai and SEGA won't be far behind in following those. Only Ubisoft, Valve and Activision are obviously not that interested.

Pretty funny that Capcom is backing Nintendo right now and both Warner Bros. and THQ announced Wii U launch games.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nuclear Muffin said:
This rumour goes as far back as E3 2011. EA are clearly partnering with Nintendo on something big (as their buddy buddy announcement during that conference made obvious) and it's highly likely that they are providing the back end service for the Wii U's online service (replacing Gamespy, which ran Nintendo WiFi Connection)
GameSpy hosted servers, they did not run Nintendo WiFi Connection. And to my knowledge, they still host servers for a couple of older PC games too.

Pocks

bgassassin said:
Exactly. The competition should keep prices in check.

Imagine Activision wanting Call of Duty to be available for download on Wii U. Guess who would be the only one that goes through?

Excellent, makes sense.

Basically, with Nintendo's open online infrastructure, EA is trying to ensure that competing distribution services like Steam are not allowed to distribute EA content.

Shanadeus

Banned
I think I can guess what exactly the Wii U online system will be shaped as.
It will be similar to PC in that you will have a number of major "online portals" such as Origin, Steam, Ubiplay, whatever shit activision have and so on.
These online portals are all part of a Nintendo online framework, and will be designed differently from their PC counter-parts.
The main difference will probably be that online publishers will only be able to sell DLC through their own portals, not whole games - which will only be available through Nintendo's eShop.

But just being able to sell your own DLC unrestricted is a huge boon for the major publishers, which is why they are so interested in the Wii U - no longer will they have to deal with Microsoft or Sony taking a major slice of their cake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Going Origin exclusive over Steam is in such a surreal realm of stupidity that it's frighteningly likely Nintendo would do it.

I'm betting it's a Nintendo centric hub thing, where you use one login, whether that's a Nintendo account tied to a username, code, whatever, from which publishers can use their own networks that players can log in to via the 'hub', with the Nintendo account.

H_Prestige said:
You mean we would have the same games being sold through Nintendo and Origin's stores?

Not necessarily. Let's say you have eShop, Origin, Steam, etc. The publisher could chose the one that offers the best deal. At the same time they would hopefully not price themselves out of competition. Like Cerebral said, one company would have a tough time charging way more than another.

Pocks said:
Excellent, makes sense.

Basically, with Nintendo's open online infrastructure, EA is trying to ensure that competing distribution services like Steam are not allowed to distribute EA content.

More like anyone who wants to digitally distribute their game would have to use Origin.

EatChildren said:
Going Origin exclusive over Steam is in such a surreal realm of stupidity that it's frighteningly likely Nintendo would do it.

I'm betting that full exclusivity won't happen.
Nintendo wants to please as many publishers as it can.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Every forthcoming EA game would be developed for Wii U is about the only chip EA is holding.

And Nintendo are pretty desperate for any kind of western 3rd party support. The only major western publisher that currently supports them is Activision. Who is the biggest western 3rd party publisher that Nintendo could court? EA of course. And what better way to secure their support? (Since Activision don't have their own online service to sell to Nintendo, they don't need to do anything to get ther support)

EatChildren said:

If you were Iwata and you needed to get 3rd party support. Which publisher would you want to court to get their software support? (assume that neither publisher was willing to release their major software on you system unless you used their online system)

Chances are that you'd pick EA, despite Steam being a better service, because you need EA's software.

Instro

Nuclear Muffin said:
And Nintendo are pretty desperate for any kind of western 3rd party support. The only major western publisher that currently supports them is Activision. Who is the biggest western 3rd party publisher that Nintendo could court? EA of course. And what better way to secure their support? (Since Activision don't have their own online service to sell to Nintendo, they don't need to do anything to get ther support)
I would think Ubisoft is their biggest supporter.

Nuclear Muffin said:

You forgot about Ubisoft, but yeah it does make a lot of sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:
I'm betting that full exclusivity won't happen.
Nintendo wants to please as many publishers as it can.

Or Nintendo will be all stupid and think catering to EA's demands will give them lots of EA games, given EA's size as a publishing, unknowingly falling into the EA trap, because EA won't really give a shit and Nintendo won't get squat.

I've said it in a few threads (as have others), but Nintendo should have just money hatted Valve into making a universal online system for their platform. Unfortunately Nintendo's arrogance when it comes to working with outside sources, and their ignorance of the importance of online, prevent such beautiful relationships from forming.

Nuclear Muffin said:

EA will do what EA always does; blow smoke about how awesome and amazing a platform is, and how they cant wait to explore new ideas, and then provide the platform with jack shit.

Shanadeus said:
I think I can guess what exactly the Wii U online system will be shaped as.
It will be similar to PC in that you will have a number of major "online portals" such as Origin, Steam, Ubiplay, whatever shit activision have and so on.
These online portals are all part of a Nintendo online framework, and will be designed differently from their PC counter-parts.
The main difference will probably be that online publishers will only be able to sell DLC through their own portals, not whole games - which will only be available through Nintendo's eShop.

But just being able to sell your own DLC unrestricted is a huge boon for the major publishers, which is why they are so interested in the Wii U - no longer will they have to deal with Microsoft or Sony taking a major slice of their cake.

I think Nintendo would allow them to distribute full games from their own place. They just have to pay Nintendo $x.xx for each download.

Instro said:
I would think Ubisoft is their biggest supporter.

Ok I forgot about Ubisoft, but even then, all they get is Ubisoft's leftover scraps (Just Dance was a lucky fluke hit that was treated like shovelware, until it took off, and all the ports they got during the GCN era were done by ridiculously small teams of like 3 or so people and were treated like unwanted garbage)

EatChildren said:
From the thread title, it seems that EA might be threatening Nintendo. Do as what EA wants or, there won´t be any EA games on WiiU.

Kazerei

Banned
Just thought I'd throw this quote in here. It's something Iwata said at the last financial briefing Q&A.

On a similar note, we often receive criticism that Nintendo is not good at deploying its services on the Internet. We are also internally discussing whether it is the best use of our development resources if those developers who are capable of making hit video game titles have to devote themselves to Nintendo’s Net-related services. Our basic idea today is that our internal game developers should focus on making new, unique and fun software while we collaborate with outside resources, especially in the fields for which Nintendo is not specialized in.

Boney

Banned
EatChildren said:
Or Nintendo will be all stupid and think catering to EA's demands will give them lots of EA games, given EA's size as a publishing, unknowingly falling into the EA trap, because EA won't really give a shit and Nintendo won't get squat.

I've said it in a few threads (as have others), but Nintendo should have just money hatted Valve into making a universal online system for their platform. Unfortunately Nintendo's arrogance when it comes to working with outside sources, and their ignorance of the importance of online, prevent such beautiful relationships from forming.

EA will do what EA always does; blow smoke about how awesome and amazing a platform is, and how they cant wait to explore new ideas, and then provide the platform with jack shit.
while I have absolutely no clue how nintendo actually operates, this is too much of a simplistic and derogatory analisis that I wouldn't expect from you. It's clear they're working with an partner(s?) to bring the online part.

Not seeking valve, would probably have to do with their minimal role in the console space rather than arrogance or whatever you call it. If this is the case, I'd agree it's shortsighted, but that's something much different than what you're trying to paint it as.

But I do agree completely on having Origin as an exclusive provider would be awful, both for consumers and their other partners.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ok I forgot about Ubisoft, but even then, all they get is Ubisoft's leftover scraps (Just Dance was a lucky fluke hit that was treated like shovelware, until it took off, and all the ports they got during the GCN era were done by ridiculously small teams of like 3 or so people and were treated like unwanted garbage)

Red Steel 2 had a decent budget (& you can't really blame them for not following it up considering how it sold).

Kazerei said:
Just thought I'd throw this quote in here. It's something Iwata said at the last financial briefing Q&A.

Yeah, that corrobates with this (old) rumour more or less perfectly. I've mentioned it several times before, but it's just becoming more and more likely now.

Origin will be the backend service for Wii U. Whether or not Nintendo will let other publishers run their own service (ALA Wii) is still up in the air (but from the sounds of this new rumour, it seems like EA might be trying to squash this and make the use of their service mandatory)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly when EA came out at Ninty's presser at E3 I thought that was the announcement they were going to make and by not announcing it there I think it is going to be some crazy open wild west system like last time only probably more resembling early PS3 than Wii.

[Nintex]

EatChildren said:

Nintendo is really stupid for getting involved with EA but I guess EA games are important than Valve games for Nintendo. Still, signing a deal like this could be very much like the 'Sony Playstation' deal that never worked out. All EA has to do is to make sure they get the profits from the smaller apps for the Wii U tablet because while Nintendo doesn't see it as a tablet the third parties certainly will. So you're right, Nintendo is really 'this' close to getting jack shit if they play this wrong and EA gets all the digital distribution money. The Wii U would be like the EA console they didn't have to pay development costs for but EA's going to make sure that you'll get the best deal (with exclusive DLC and all) online.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Boney said:
while I have absolutely no clue how nintendo actually operates, this is too much of a simplistic and derogatory analisis that I wouldn't expect from you. It's clear they're working with an partner(s?) to bring the online part.

Not seeking valve, would probably have to do with their minimal role in the console space rather than arrogance or whatever you call it. If this is the case, I'd agree it's shortsighted, but that's something much different than what you're trying to paint it as.

But I do agree completely on having Origin as an exclusive provider would be awful, both for consumers and their other partners.
Except it's not even something they'd do. Issues with Nintendo being much more coy about this sort of thing than people giving them credit for aside (Nintendo will not be doing anything that they don't have a significant amount of control over and doesn't benefit them and their consumer massively in some way), there are just so many anti-trust and collusion issues going on here no lawyer worth his salt would ever recommend this sort of move.

This just isn't happening, no matter how hard EA tries. Nintendo won't make the same mistake they made with Sony so long ago. No more deals with the devil here. At the worst, EA will get their lip service, but they won't ever get any control. Nintendo knows far better than that.

[Nintex]

doomed1 said:
Except it's not even something they'd do. Issues with Nintendo being much more coy about this sort of thing than people giving them credit for aside (Nintendo will not be doing anything that they don't have a significant amount of control over and doesn't benefit them and their consumer massively in some way), there are just so many anti-trust and collusion issues going on here no lawyer worth his salt would ever recommend this sort of move.

This just isn't happening, no matter how hard EA tries. Nintendo won't make the same mistake they made with Sony so long ago. No more deals with the devil here. At the worst, EA will get their lip service, but they won't ever get any control. Nintendo knows far better than that.
Back in the day Nintendo almost signed away the entire company to Sony and it was none other than Yamauchi who did it and they've got no clue about the online space. No clue at all.

Also EA was brought in as the number 1 Wii U supporter last E3, got Nintendo's audience to watch a clip showing all their latest and greatest titles not available on any Nintendo platform. They're also the number 1 iOS publisher so Nintendo is already dealing with the devil.

luffeN

[Nintex] said:
The article seems to imply that EA wants Nintendo to make Origin the 'exclusive' service so they can beat Steam to the punch but as of now Steam is still in the running. So that is at least Steam and Origin being considered at this point.
Yeah, I know. That's why I said he should just make the call and end all speculations :D It would be cool to just have both systems. Questions is: Will the Wii U have enough storage or can you connect an external harddisk to it to save all the games?

I'll be baffled if Nintendo don't choose Steam, that have been functioning for several years, with high success, with most publishers already on the service (and familiar with steamworks) and several millions of users, over Origin, which is still on beta, with the EULA problems, which service funtionalities are still way behind steam.

I mean EA must be giving Nintendo one hell of an offer or it's just Nintendo being silly...

rac

Banned
If they let origin be the only dd service on the wii u nintendo deserves to fail. The best option would be to allow all dd services on it, but nintendo seems so oblivious with their online they probably would choose a inferior dd service to have complete control.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I'll be baffled if Nintendo don't choose Steam, that have been functioning for several years, with high success, with most publishers already on the service (and familiar with steamworks) and several millions of users, over Origin, which is still on beta, with the EULA problems, which service funtionalities are still way behind steam.

I mean EA must be giving Nintendo one hell of an offer or it's just Nintendo being silly...
Why would Steam partner with Nintendo?

RedSwirl

Nuclear Muffin said:

If you were Iwata and you needed to get 3rd party support. Which publisher would you want to court to get their software support? (assume that neither publisher was willing to release their major software on you system unless you used their online system)

Chances are that you'd pick EA, despite Steam being a better service, because you need EA's software.
I've never seen EA NOT put their software on a Nintendo platform. They still supported Nintendo during the N64 years and even the late GCN years when other western third parties abandoned them. Even with the Wii EA at least tries to put out EA Sports, The Sims, and other stuff in some form. Same with Ubisoft. I don't think Nintendo would need this kind of deal to get EA's software.

Who I'm really worried about in terms of Nintendo support is Western companies that have a short history in the console space and no relationship with Nintendo. Guys like Valve, Zenimax, Take-Two, etc.

Lots of amazing ideas of how precisely Nintendo will ruin the online experience for their next console in here, but my favorite is the one where Nintendo implements a decentralized, multiple-vendor system that has all the drawbacks of online play on the PC without any of the immense benefits that come with it.

Top Bottom