• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Full length Halo movie produced by Ridley Scott in the works

pringles

To make a Halo movie and not follow the general outline of The Fall Of Reach would be madness. That book has everything you need to make a great movie.

Scott is on a shortlist of people that I'd trust with it. That lists also includes the original director (Blomkamp), Guillermo Del Toro and maybe Abrams or Nolan. I'm glad he's not rumored as director though. I think that needs to be someone who is really familiar with the franchise and can nail the visual and emotional tones.

Farmboy

If this rumour was out before Prometheus happened, I'd be excited.

Scott's only real vice there was approving that mess of a script. Which admittedly is a biggie. But direction-wise, it's pretty solid, with some strong performances and great visuals. The
Cesarian
sequence actually works divorced from context as an excellent horror short.

monome

and that is for the best!

again and again and again, there is no stopping (at the moment) the closed ecosystem madness. So MS will be all the better if they keep Halo on XBOX and only produce quality/innovative/fan service stuff.

Example : the animated films made out the Halo anthology book seen only on Waypoint were great. Whereas Dark Horse/Marvel Halo comics are pretty shitty.

Same for books. any novel distributed as a tease on waypoint will be a superior entry to canon than the TOR books that have to be able to sell on the merits of a "contained" story.
343i tried the trilogy approach to books and failed. Bear's silentium was published after halo 4 and was less good because of it.
Traviss trilogy is a disaster

Microsoft 'denies' Halo movie rumors:

As always, we have many projects in the works that offer us the opportunity to bring in new audiences to the franchise, as we did in the past with Halo Legends and Halo: Forward Unto Dawn.

We plan to continue telling the Halo story through innovative channels, but there are no plans for a Halo motion picture at this time.

However, it simply seems they are denying its a feature film, not that the project itself exists. I guess the new question is if this is "Halo TV", or perhaps another separate project akin to Forward Unto Dawn.

Microsoft 'denies' Halo movie rumors:

However, it simply seems they are denying its a feature film, not that the project itself exists. I guess the new question is if this is "Halo TV", or perhaps another separate project akin to Forward Unto Dawn.
Cross posted from the other thread, but the original tweet specifically identifies this as a "Feature length digital" which means a web series (which gets re-packaged as a feature) ala Forward Unto Dawn. "Produced by Ridley Scott" = it's directed by someone repped @ BlackDog / RSA.

I think the actual TV show with Spielberg is a completely different project. Based on FUD, both projects will be in collaboration with 343 & their franchise team.

Cross posted from the other thread, but the original tweet specifically identifies this as a "Feature length digital" which means a web series (which gets re-packaged as a feature) ala Forward Unto Dawn. "Produced by Ridley Scott" = it's directed by someone repped @ BlackDog / RSA.

I think the actual TV show with Spielberg is a completely different project. Based on FUD, both projects will be in collaboration with 343 & their franchise team.

Makes sense.

This itself may be something closer to FUD then, used to advertise Halo 5 where "Halo TV" will be larger scale and more standalone.

Makes sense.
This itself may be something closer to FUD then, used to advertise Halo 5 where "Halo TV" will be larger scale and more standalone.
That's my understanding too.

It'll be interesting to see how MS Studios handles the distribution, as you have to imagine they want to make the XBONE an HBO-like destination for original programming. Both of these projects have the potential for some kind of XBO exclusivity, incentivizing Gold subscriptions and game purchases while building their TV portfolio.

I'd suspect the web series will get distribution ala FUD, a free online window where it acts as advertising before becoming exclusive to dvd/br/vod. But I'd wager the TV series might end up XBO exclusive ala Quantum Break.

Interesting times ahead.

Top Bottom