• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolabla

This definitely sounds fake by the wording of "Gameplay graphics at 900p/60fps". Sounds like it's made to stir people up.

12lRMoQ.gif

Following the hyperbole

ZOONAMI

If the visual effects, textures, and AA were high quality for AAA releases, like maxed on a PC, 900p with a locked 60fps would in fact be far superior to PS4 and Xbox.

Could be Nintendo is willing to sacrifice resolution so the games can look amazing and perform at a locked 60fps.

900p with good AA is arguably better than 1080p with the shit AA you often see on the PS4. And games are very rarely a locked 60fps on PS4.

Diffense

IF this rumour is true 900p is probably the handheld's max res so that if you're making a game to run on both handheld and console without modification you'd have to target that. It reminds of a rumour I heard on here that the handheld's screen resolution is "more than you'd expect but less than you'd hope" or something to that effect.

900p in 2016 is ridiculously dumb if true. Doesn't even cost much today to manufacture a machine capable of 1080p/60fps.
Wii U is capable of that.
The article doesn't specify which NX will run at that resolution despite clarifying that there's two units.

Zyrox

900p/60ps is a rather odd thing to put on a spec list because whatever resolution/framerate a game runs in is decided by the developer of said game. So there is no universal strandard or anything. It all comes down to the devs priorities, whether they want to push graphically intensive effects (at the cost of res/fps) or prefer to have their game have better IQ/run smoother (then the game can't push as many graphically intensive effects).

RK128

Is 900p as the minimum for the handheld as reasonable conclusion?

What does the Vita run at?

The Vita's highest resolution is 540p (twice the res that the PSP was). My bet is that the console is going to be 900p max due to it allowing the NX handheld to be have the res; the handheld will be 450p while the console is 900p for games.

Happy were getting a new Donkey Kong tbh. Loved Tropical Freeze.

And as much as I want a new Metroid I've accepted she's dead besides spinoffs.

orioto

Good Art™
Guyyyys there is no reason you have any kind of resolution/fps in your console spec... It's dev's choice!

Except if.. if it's VR of course then it could be mandatory :p

*looks through thread*

yoooooo I don't know about that

A lot of people are just bad at humor online. That has to be it. That makes far more sense than people even entertaining the thought of there being some weird limit on the next Nintendo console that locks its resolution to lower than some Wii U games.

iMax

Do you realize how insanely expensive and battery inefficient would be a handheld that runs games at 900p/60fps?

Well, my iPhone does it pretty well.

PS4 has plenty of 900p games (Battlefield, Watch_Dogs, etc.) but it also has its fair share of 1080p 60 FPS titles too (MGS V, COD). Sony marketed the PS4 as a 1080p/60FPS box. I'm just alarmed that they are actively SURVERYING people about 900p/60FPS when resolution gate hit hard.

It's probably just some marketing droid who doesn't know what they're on about.

Fawk Nin

Emily Rogers believes it to be a real survey and says Nintendo World Report has the rest of it. She also says just because the survey is real, doesn't mean the info is. I don't know what to think, just thought I'd share that. She is usually on the money.

-Horizon-

Even for a handheld screen, 900p would be ridiculous. 720p would've been max of what I expected so I doubt its the handheld. At the same time I doubt its the console. Something like this, in a survey or something, wouldn't have info like that. Why stop there, why not tell us how much RAM is available to the dev?

GOTY Edition? Blargh.

People seem to take this 900p/60fps way too seriously.

Xbox One had mostly 900p games (or less!) in its first year.
It wouldn't take long until 1080p60 will come out on NX.

Also 900p at SIXTY FPS! I'd prefer that over 1080p at 30.
Xbox One doesn't have many 900p (or 1080p) games at 60 fps right now.

Also CONSOLE AND HANDHELD! That's WAY more interesting than stupid resolutions and shit.
Also achievements. Two way more interesting things to talk about than damn fucking pixels.

So let's talk about the handheld.
I hope it's at least as powerful as the Vita, if not more. I could see my vision for it coming true, meaning that selected "big" games on the console can be temporarily transferred to the handheld at a reduced resolution and probably reduced graphics fidelity overall.
THAT would be a big fucking megaton.

Sterok

Yeah, the 900P/60FPS makes this bullshit. Nintendo adjusts the resolution and framerate to whatever fits the game the most. Even if it were a 900P handheld (with Nintendo and coming with a sensor bar?), the framerate would still be variable.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just a heads up that I'm not the source of the survey. I didn't take any surveys. I just passed this image on, which I cropped for their anonymity. It was sent out to a few others.

Emily Rogers believes the survey is real, but nobody seems whether or not the apparent info is. It could just be designed to test how people would feel about those potential features.

even if true, what does "survey" means? I don't get why GFK, a market research company, should make a poll about what?

thuway

If the visual effects, textures, and AA were high quality for AAA releases, like maxed on a PC, 900p with a locked 60fps would in fact be far superior to PS4 and Xbox.

Could be Nintendo is willing to sacrifice resolution so the games can look amazing and perform at a locked 60fps.

No. PC gamers with 980tis can't even "max out" titles. I have a 280X and I can't even max out titles at 900p. More over, PC games have even started "higher resolution" texture packs that are pushing the RAM limit up. Don't even bring PC and max settings into this.

RK128

Happy were getting a new Donkey Kong tbh. Loved Tropical Freeze.

And as much as I want a new Metroid I've accepted she's dead besides spinoffs.

Retro closing off there DKC trilogy is only fair considering Metroid got that (three prime games). Besides, their DKC games are outstanding and are really great platformers. Regardless who is making this DK game, I hope its a great one and does very well on NX :).

900p for games but 4k streaming for what exactly? NCL has never put out a media focused box so why do it now? Even more so why dedicate resources to a feature that most people don't have the proper display for nor is there a significant amount of content; then have said box not provide that 4K content or 1080p GTFO with this 5th grade leak.

900p would be acceptable if the handheld was also 900p. Maybe thats for the handheld, but 4k is still silly.

Fake

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Achievements, streaming etc is a given. The console/handheld thing has already been mentioned before. Let's be serious, there's no way Nintendo will advertise 900p. I don't really see anything interesting here.

Trago

I'm not expecting this to be very powerful, but there's literally no reason Nintendo would cap the resolution lower than what their current machine can output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom