• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Fjordson

I'll be excited about almost any city. Just need some new GTA.

Would be great to see them expand beyond just the city and have some more variety with rural environments and whatnot (sort of like San Andreas).

VistraNorrez said:
The plot is more of an opinion (I don't agree), but most missions offered multiple paths. There are a ton of alleys and paths to escape in and around the city. Finding a little path that a car could barely get through to escape under a bridge and lose the cops gave me a wonderful feeling. Not to mention most chase missions you could kill the target during the chase or follow them to a spot and take them out there.

Most missions at one way you had to do things. Escaping from cops was great, the city itself was fantastic, but most missions you could not kill the target before you were supposed to.
The last generation GTA missions were so much better and more diverse. I missed the radio control toyz stuff. GTA4's story really fell apart around 2/3 of the way through. IMO it had the worst story and characters. I had to force myself to finish it.

Looking forward to getting back to Los Santos. I wonder what former SA people might make a cameo ? The Truth ? Mike Toreno ? Carl ?

I'm disappointed that it is going to be Hollywood/LA. All we have gotten this gen is remakes of cities they have already done. I'm sure it wil look much better than SA, although not the same level of improvement we got between GTA 3/4, but a new city would have been so much better. 5 GTA's and 2 expansions and all we have gotten is 3 cities.

I want to see New Orleans, Baltimore, Chicago, or London. I'm not sure who they would be able to get past the language barrier, but Tokyo, Paris, or Rome would make great GTA cities too.

Zeliard said:

Driver series, Getaway series, Godfather 2, Torrente, GTA London, GTA 2. I'm sure there are others that have been ignored/were even less noteworthy than the aforementioned.

Zeliard said:

GTA's bread and butter is American satire; no other country has an easy blend of high crime rates, romanticized crime epics, and utter materialism like the USA does.

Really the logical thing they should do is Carcer City (it's supposed to be a stand in for Detroit anyway) in the 1970s. You've got the general culture of the 1970s and a faux motor city at the beginning of it's decline to go with it. The Modern Day doesn't have enough personality to it. GTA4 was pretty bland, the music wasn't good, the setting was dull, and the look was vanilla.

I <3 Memes said:
I want to see New Orleans, Baltimore, Chicago, or London. I'm not sure who they would be able to get past the language barrier, but Tokyo, Paris, or Rome would make great GTA cities too.

I don't know how I'd feel about Baltimore..we have quite enough negativity surrounding us here lol.

Zeliard

bonesmccoy said:
GTA's bread and butter is American satire; no other country has an easy blend of high crime rates, romanticized crime epics, and utter materialism like the USA does.

I don't understand. You seem to be agreeing with me yet you're attempting to debate. What's the beef, yo?

I specifically said that you would be hard-pressed to make a GTA located outside of the U.S. while still satirizing the country as effectively as you could setting the game in the U.S. Especially with the way GTA satirizes American culture, which is with a lot of visual and audio gags that are quintessentially American.

And here you are saying that GTA's bread and butter is American satire, and that no other country has the specific elements that could make it work as well. We're on the same page.

MMaRsu

Banned
LA again? Fuck me. The Houser brothers really have lost their shit. How about a new fucking setting you lazy bums.

I know GTA counts on American humor and all that, but really, LA?

Also, nobody calls it hollywood.

Junior

Banned
I think Chicago or D.C. could make for some great settings and story telling.

Haters be damned:
american-flag-2a.jpg

America, Fuck Yeah
Amen

MMaRsu

Banned
Ugh.. I just noticed this is an old topic and I responded to the first post just now lol.

Either way, fuck off R*. I doubt you'll be able to surpass VC or SA, thank god Saints Row 3 will be there to fill the crazy fucking void left by my favorite open world crazy ass game.

I was also not a fan of them abandoning popular movie voice actors for unknowns. It gave GTA something cool in my opinion.

MMaRsu

Banned
kman3000 said:
Please have a portable radio on the cellphone if they keep that in.

Saints Row 1 had a portable mp3 player in which you could listen to all the songs in the game. Why GTA didn't have that from GTA3 I don't know or why they couldn't/wouldn't implement it in GTAIV I don't understand.

What's worse is that the feature was ripped from Saints Row 2. What the fuck right?

MMaRsu said:
I was also not a fan of them abandoning popular movie voice actors for unknowns. It gave GTA something cool in my opinion.
I don't mind really, as long as the character is interesting and well-voiced.
Young Maylay has an awesome voice and did a killer job, on par with Ray Liotta. So whatever.

Problem is, every character in GTA IV was extremely bland. So was a lot of the music.

R* became pretentious.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I wonder how many people complaining about LA realize it is the most linguistically diverse city in the United States, and one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world.

Kevtones

If I can eat at Cactus and drink at La Descarga I'm sold.

Oooooh and render Long Beach, it's kind of scary cool in a lot of ways.

They must include Venice Beach if they do indeed do LA.

More interaction, more advanced NPC behavior, and tons of NPCs is my hope. The "follow them to work" thing would be sweet.

(Imagine mowing down a giant crowd of 30 pedestrians....awesome).

cuyahoga said:
I wonder how many people complaining about LA realize it is the most linguistically diverse city in the United States, and one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world.
And that has nothing to do with a video game. People are complaining because it's been done before in GTA SA. Not because they're secret racists or some shit.

RiderKairuu said:
I don't know how I'd feel about Baltimore..we have quite enough negativity surrounding us here lol.
Us Baltimorons have to stick together! Personally I think it would make a great city to base a game around (inner harbor, older areas like Canton and Federal Hill, and of course the bad areas) but it's not an easy enough mark for Rockstar I guess.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
industrialfan225 said:
And that has nothing to do with a video game. People are complaining because it's been done before in GTA SA. Not because they're secret racists or some shit.
I'm not arguing that anyone's a racist, but that lots of people are overlooking how diverse of a place Los Angeles is — two entirely separate things. Little Armenia, Koreatown, Little Ethiopia, Little Tokyo were not in GTA SA, though. Don't you want a game where you hear five different people around you speaking five different language?

xbhaskarx

I don't care what city they base the next game on, I just want a city that is actually alive, with things to do besides eating and playing a few crappy minigames.
Give me fifty different TYPES of stores I can go into and do whatever I want, work a paying job, buy stuff, rob the place, etc. I want to be able to enter hundreds of buildings. Hell let me go into random houses and apartments.

I dont care how many or how few languages people around me are speaking. I just want a game that is not set in LA/Miami/NY.

GreatSage

Banned
industrialfan225 said:
Really the logical thing they should do is Carcer City (it's supposed to be a stand in for Detroit anyway) in the 1970s.

Carcer City could have easily been Chicago or any other Rust Belt steel town.

Igor Antunov said:
I wonder, will we get GTA san francisco, and gta vegas?

Rockstar, why you so boring.

I find it truly hilarious that half the people in this thread are call R* "boring" for revisiting previous cities, and the other half are proposing cities like Baltimore.

Kintaco

Junior said:
I think Chicago or D.C. could make for some great settings and story telling.

America, Fuck Yeah
Amen
DC yes, Chicago no! I think New Orleans would be a decent setting as well.

I live in Chicago. I don't get where people are coming from asking for a Chicago-style GTA.

Liberty City (moreso in GTAIII) is pretty much an amalgamation of Chicago and New York. The only differences Chicago would have is the Loop (which is in Liberty City), and more of an emphasis on corruption and the Irish (which are in GTA IV) . What else about Chicago do people all over the world know? The Sears Tower? That adds nothing to the game. I guess you could have the suburbs outside of Chicago too, for some traditional Midwestern satire, but as it stands, even IRL Chicago is basically New York Jr.

LA (San Andreas) makes sense for pop culture parody and gang warfare, Miami (Vice City) makes sense for the drug trade, Cuban refugees, retirees and Disney World, Detroit (Carcer City) would be cool for a city on the verge of collapse, and aside from that, I could only think of a city on the Mexican border, like in Texas (Armadillo?), to get in all those timely "illegal immigrant" or southern jokes, but those could easily fit into San Andreas, or to a lesser degree, Vice City.

DC would also be sweet.

Punchy4486 said:
I live in Chicago. I don't get where people are coming from asking for a Chicago-style GTA.

LA (San Andreas) makes sense for pop culture parody and gang warfare, Miami (Vice City) makes sense for the drug trade, Cuban refugees, retirees and Disney World, Detroit (Carcer City) would be cool for a city on the verge of collapse, and aside from that, I could only think of a city on the Mexican border, like Texas (Armadillo?), to get in all those timely "illegal immigrant" or southern jokes, but those could easily fit into San Andreas, or to a lesser degree, Vice City.

Wow I wish we had Disney World in Miami. That'd be great.

onken

The main language has to be English. They've already done London. Nobody gives a shit about Canada or Australia.

It will be one of best known US cities, end of story. Though I do think Chicago makes the cut, Washington DC too.

Those characters sound awful, even for Rockstar. I know that's what GTA is all about but, personally I'm tired of the obnoxious characters. I'm probably in the minority.

With gameplay, though, I have a feeling they're going to learn from their mistakes with GTA IV and it'll be a good game.

I just want it set in New Orleans once. But I guess with the amount of time we have to wait for this one to come out + the development time for the next one we are looking at 5+ years until we get the next GTA game.

Gravijah

The-Warning said:
Those characters sound awful, even for Rockstar. I know that's what GTA is all about but, personally I'm tired of the obnoxious characters. I'm probably in the minority.

With gameplay, though, I have a feeling they're going to learn from their mistakes with GTA IV and it'll be a good game.

I hope the driving and weight of the characters is the same, though.

VindicatorZ said:
Wow I wish we had Disney World in Miami. That'd be great.

Actual locations don't matter in GTA World. Vegas and LA were in the same state in GTA:SA. If they wanted, they could easily add a theme park to a Vice City, and there might be some interesting things to do with that, but I don't know that they want a game where you can run around a theme park with guns, especially with their "no kids" policy. Bad idea, I guess.

conman

If that cast list is to be believed, it looks like we could be moving out of the cities and into the (LA?) suburbs. Seems like it'd be different enough from San Andreas to justify a return to LA.

I <3 Memes said:
I just want it set in New Orleans once. But I guess with the amount of time we have to wait for this one to come out + the development time for the next one we are looking at 5+ years until we get the next GTA game.

I think it's more likely they'd toss New Orleans into Vice City, especially if they ditched the 80s setting.

Grayman

onken said:
The main language has to be English. They've already done London. Nobody gives a shit about Canada or Australia.

It will be one of best known US cities, end of story. Though I do think Chicago makes the cut, Washington DC too.
the great thing about not giving a shit about Canada is that it could be one of the "3 islands"

Punchy4486 said:
Actual locations don't matter in GTA World. Vegas and LA were in the same state in GTA:SA. If they wanted, they could easily add a theme park to a Vice City, and there might be some interesting things to do with that, but I don't know that they want a game where you can run around a theme park with guns, especially with their "no kids" policy. Bad idea, I guess.
Not full blown theme parks but IV and VCS both had fair areas with rides that should have been full of kids but weren't.

cuyahoga said:
I'm not arguing that anyone's a racist, but that lots of people are overlooking how diverse of a place Los Angeles is — two entirely separate things. Little Armenia, Koreatown, Little Ethiopia, Little Tokyo were not in GTA SA, though. Don't you want a game where you hear five different people around you speaking five different language?
I could not care less.

Im a bit meh at this really.

I feel san andreas coverd this type of setting and would prefer a more radical/visually engaging location for the series or......

GTA:MELBOURNE OR SYDNEY OR........AUSTRALIA DAMMIT!

Still looking forward to more gta of course :p

Rezbit

Hollywood setting would be a bit disappointing to me. I would love for them to go with an old style European city...imagine something like GTA Prague. Would be great to have a unique setting with old and modern architecture.

benjipwns

Banned
Personally, if I had unlimited resources, despite being an ugly American, would think about making a GTA style game set entirely in a psuedo-Europe. You can change so much visually and culturally, by being able to drive from a Paris to a Berlin to a Munich to a Rome and so on. (Just nabbed a few famous cities, no offense folks.)

San Andreas is a pretty effective compressed California + Vegas, I would have looked to Europe as an obvious way to accomplish that at a higher level. Alternatively the NY-DC-Philly-Boston area. Maybe Japan?

True Crime would have put us in Hong Kong, but I guess that's dead now.

GreatSage

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
With all these rumors abound, would an E3 announcement be likely? I know Rockstar doesn't attend E3, but there aren't any major events until then, are there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11qCQ-Ov-Q4

Admins - can we please cease all discussion of alternative GTA locations in this thread?
Every GTA thread degenerates into people blurting out random locations -- it's seriously annoying.

Top Bottom