• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

PantherLotus said:
Why not something 5-10 years in the future?

Yeah!
Wjmqx.jpg

2019, Belive.

Strike

Alcoholikaust said:
I'd like a return to Vice city myself...And the 80's.

:/

*end dream
+1

I would love to see an updated and expanded Vice City running on this engine. Contemporary setting though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Death Dealer said:
Are you from Dubai or something ? I can't think of a much worse location for a GTA game.
It's like the guy in the other thread saying the next GTA should be in Cleveland. Dreams are nice, but get real.
Never even been to that part of the world - I just think the 'which american city should we model the game on next' is going to have diminishing returns as the games start to overlap more and more. At some point its going to get stale - either because they repeat locations or because they struggle to establish an identity for GTA:Wilmington that really distinguishes it from GTA:Baltimore.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The GTA IV hate on GAF is ridiculous. One of the finest games ever made, moreso with the Episodes.

It's my favorite GTA, but especially with the Episodes. They add such cool layers to the story, very Pulp Fiction. I really like all three protagonists too. And the GTA IV Liberty City is so so detailed and incredibly well designed. I'm still playing through the base game and TBoGT (finished TLaD) and it's amazing how I'm still finding new things. It's a bit hard to go back and play the older games but especially III.

But yes RDR is the best of any of their open-world adventure games, I expect the next GTA to one up even that.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Buckethead said:
With all the "hints" they dropped in Gay Tony, I really doubt that it's going to be in Vice City.

Seemed like a red herring.

I'd say the Hollywood/LA thing has the most merit, but still not much.
What hints? I remember vice city being name dropped in IV, but perhaps that was just a wink wink nudge nudge.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Topher said:
Return to vice city please!
WHY WHY WHY??? It was already done? WHY DO PEOPLE WANT R* TO WASTE TIME TO RECREATE THE SAME CITY INSTEAD OF A GOING TO A NEW CITY?

I don't understand.

deejay8595 said:
WHY WHY WHY??? It was already done? WHY DO PEOPLE WANT R* TO WASTE TIME TO RECREATE THE SAME CITY INSTEAD OF A GOING TO A NEW CITY?

I don't understand.

No idea.

Vice City was boring anyway.

Dennis

Banned
deejay8595 said:

I don't understand.
Because GTA: Miami Vice was super awesome and it will be even better now.

randrews

Neo Member
UPDATE!

I've been informed that on Fridays that Ceili's turns into a full on Club Zone. As I'm not really into seal hunting, I've changed the venue to Doolin's instead as to avoid young people, whose tight bodies will be the envy of all.

It makes more sense that it's FBI since the casting not wasn't even for GTA and they're trying to fill roles.

zeioIIDX

claviertekky said:
Why doesn't Rockstar set it in Chicago?

Chicago is small enough to be in a video game.
That would be pretty sweet. You got the ghettos, the projects, downtown Chicago, nicer upscale housing/apartment sections, Lakeshore Dr. and the beach, museums, DePaul and University of Chicago. Maybe it could somehow be about a student, possibly a mix of Bully and GTA. They could even include the northwest suburbs or something too kinda like how San Andreas had the countryside.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
deejay8595 said:

I don't understand.
Why are you assuming the atmosphere and tone would be overtly similar to a game released last gen? I agree, vice city was the most boring. But it was the personality of the game that made it unique.

A re-imagining could possibly be something unlike we have experienced before. A new generation of hardware brings with it new possibilities.

Arcipello

yeah i think like most people im getting rather bored of the American cities in GTA.... i would love to see something like Tokyo or london, LA is just soooooo flat and boring.

right now my ideal rockstar game would be set in london in the late 1800s during the industrial revolution and the likes of Jack the ripper etc.

Topher said:
What hints? I remember vice city being name dropped in IV, but perhaps that was just a wink wink nudge nudge.

So were all the places in San Andreas. There are tons of references to all the cities in GTA IV they even mention London and Paris. There is a Vice City Radio station in the episodes separate release though.

Where ever the next is set, whether a new city or old, it's going to feel like a new city. Comparing Liberty City IV to III is ridiculous because of how different they are (calling IV lifeless is laughable, III has nothing in it in comparison and it looks so bland now). IV really isn't even that close to the real NYC anyway. It kind of gets well known parts right, but it takes tons of liberties everywhere else.

The only thing that really sucks about the base GTA IV is it's replay system. It can be a real pain in the ass to redo a mission, no matter how cool it is, with all the travel (Three Leaf Clover I'm looking at you). Thankfully it improved in the Episodes and was perfected in RDR.

Ranger X

what the hell...

I hope this stays a rumor. So many awesome cities in this world and GTAs all always in the same small bunch!

We need GTA London again, we need Tokyo, Moscow, Dubai, Montreal, Paris, etc

elseanio

Ranger X said:
what the hell...

I hope this stays a rumor. So many awesome cities in this world and GTAs all always in the same small bunch!

Would be awesome...

VistraNorrez said:
The only thing that really sucks about the base GTA IV is it's replay system.
The city itself was great. I loved the driving physics. But the missions (usually only one way to do things, not emergent like past GTAs) and the plot (by the time it got to the last Island) sucked in comparison.
Krakatoa said:
That explains why we flew the some of the Dev team around LA early last year :)

TALK.

TheKyle07

I like the idea of Seattle and Vancouver. If GTA is about lampooning American culture, it would be cool to have a foil to contrast that with.

I also like the idea of Dubai. Above all I just want something new and unique.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so, does this mean Agent was just a Vaporware.

Darklord said:
Remember, they are making LA Noir too.

..And now even gaffers think it's fully Rockstar developed game, No wonder why Rockstar didn't even put Team Bondi logo on the cover.

If those character descriptions are in the actual game, then it's obvious that GTA V is set in modern-day LA. But as far as making my own GTA, I'll give it a shot:

Location (primary): Boston, Massachusetts
Time period: late 70s
Song used in trailer/commercial: "Dirty Water" - The Standells

qydkt.jpg

You start as an Irish-American, whose a HS senior in South Boston. While you're good student (particularly in chemistry), you hangout with some of the "wrong crowd" and commit petty crimes here and there- eventually get a bit involved with the Irish mob. This part of the game would mostly take place in Southie and perhaps in Roxbury as well. Racial tensions between Irish (Southie) and African Americans (Roxbury) would be a theme- perhaps your character secretly becomes a friend of some dude in Roxbury, who helps you out later in the game.

Next, you get accepted into Harvard, and this causes a riff between you and a lot your friends, as they you're trying to appear better than them. This part of the game would take place in Cambridge, and could heavily satirize preppy Ivy Leaguers and have some MIT jokes as well. I guess Rockstar could use similar elements from "Bully" here, but eventually, you start hanging out with your Southie friends and expand crime activity throughout the city. Some "friends" will try to betray you, and you'll have to pick if they live or die at some points in the game.

In Boston, you have landmarks such as Fenway Park, Faneuil Hall, Prudential Building, USS Constitution and some other ethnic/economic neighborhoods: Chinatown, North End (Italian), Brookline (more suburban and wealthy). Though one difficult thing (as with all open-world games), is setting boundaries. For Boston, to the east, there's the ocean, but north, south, and west pose some issues. I'd extend the water to wrap around to the north and south (forming a larger peninsula) and just have a few blocked/gated off roads at the western border. Mountains blocking off areas wouldn't make much sense for Boston.

Towards end of the game, you're well involved in the Irish mob and get introduced to members of the IRA. You, being well-educated and trained in chemicals, travel (perhaps a bit reluctantly) to Ireland and begin making bombs in safe-houses in the countryside/Dublin. And the big decision of the game comes when you have to deliver and detonate a bomb in Belfast or London. The ramifications are, at the end of game: if you don't, your mobster friends find you and kill you; and if you do, you either eventually get caught by the FBI in Boston or a MI5 agent finds you and kills you. A recurring theme of the game would be: once your involved in a life of crime, you're dead no matter what.

Personally, with the above ending section, I do not think a game like this would ever get made. It'd involve some extremely sensitive issues that parallel actual history too directly for many people. However, I do think it'd make the game much more interesting/powerful , but it'd probably get banned in Ireland and the UK- and even many members of the US Congress would be opposed to its release.

Krakatoa said:
True, but it was the GTA dev team :)

Hrm, fishy. I mean, Rockstar notoriously keeps a tight lip about GTA and I'd imagine if they were to fly about LA they wouldn't hop in a helicopter and say "Sup? We all work on the GTA team. Did you get that? THE GTA TEAM. Don't remember that."

I still like setting it in modern day Los Santos and playing as a dirty cop (think Training Day or the Shield). And yeah, they've done that before, but they can fully expand on the city. Liberty in 4 didn't look like the Liberty in GTA3.

Dabanton

Totobeni said:
..And now even gaffers think it's fully Rockstar developed game, No wonder why Rockstar didn't even put Team Bondi logo on the cover.

From an advertising angle it's working as people think it's a new R* game which for a game as risky as this is certainly a selling point. But it's a slap in the face to Team Bondi all the same.

Sealda

Banned
Seriously. The should just release GTAIV as GTAV. That would definitely make people turn their heads. Imagine, the publicity stunt that would be. It would sell tons of copies because of the publicity and word to mouth

Squire

Banned
randrews said:
Earlier today, twitter investigator, @supererogatory posted some info about the new GTA game. While she didn't post the information explicitly, she did point out where you could find the information. For those who aren't interested in digging, this is a possible list of parts that might be in the new GTA game

Mitch Hayes:
38 – Annoying, wise cracking, highly successful FBI agent. In great shape. Does triathlons, drinks low cal beer, but still has a sense of humor.

Miguel Gonzalez:
25 Young Mexican American FBI agent, caught between a few mob bosses. Very clean cut

Clyde:
23 – Moronic, almost inbred and creepy white trash hillbilly. Very naïve but in a creepy ‘it’s only incest sort of way’

Brother Adam:
Welsh monk / cult leader / yoga teacher – 50, very lithe, very into exploring your personal tension through gripping massage. Needs Welsh accent.

Mrs Avery:
Neurotic soccer mom, home maker, 48, anxious and addled on pain killers. Very angry at neighbor MRS Bell.

Mrs Bell:
Swinger, and mellow Californian divorcee. 45. Ugly but comfortable with self.

Eddie:
47 – Weed evangelist, guy who started smoking at 30, and is now a leading proponent of marijuana’s fantastic properties. White, awkward.

Ira Bernstein:
56 – publicist for an actress known as America’s newest sweetheart who just so happens to love animals, orphans, drugs and sex. He’s always trying to hide her latest indiscretion.

Kevin De Silva:
18 – Albert’s fat, FPS playing gamer son. Smokes a lot of weed, has anxiety issues and a card for a bad back, very soft, very opinionated. Into making racist comments while playing online.

Harut Vartanyan:
42-52 years old – Armenian car dealer, moneylender, would be Fagin and would be bully. Heavily connected to the underworld, but irritates people so much no one likes him.

Nervous Jerry:
48 – paranoiac living in the sticks, near Simon, completely paranoid, and terrified of Simon.

Calvin North:
55 – clapped out FBI agent who now mostly works offering advice on TV shows – whose only claim to fame turns out to be entirely false – but a decent guy in other ways. Badly dressed. Divorced. Putting on weight.

Jerry Cole:
53 – disabled IT expert and criminal information vendor.

Rich Roberts:
English hardman actor, 35, who acts tough but who wants to do serious work - the only problem is he can't quite read the words.

Alex:
white 52 yr old loosie goosie hippy rich guy who has lost his money and is getting desperate but trying not to.

Scarlet:
45-52 years old – unshaven female spiritualist and hippy with a love of exploring the wilderness. Very into journeys.

Chad:
29 – pretty boy misogynist Beverly Hills party boy. Made money, but not as cool as he thinks he is.

Tae Wong:
39 – somewhat incompetent Chinese mobster, loves doing ecstasy, going to raves.

Taes Translator:
45 - VERY STRAIGHT LACED Chinese translator, terrified of his boss’s dad. Male, awkward. Needs to speak Chinese.

If rumours are to be believed, the game will be set in LA.

As a resident, I can tell you some of those are certainly archetypes typical of the city. Many are likely parodies on actual people.

Cyborg

Something Wicked said:
If those character descriptions are in the actual game, then it's obvious that GTA V is set in modern-day LA. But as far as making my own GTA, I'll give it a shot:

Location (primary): Boston, Massachusetts
Time period: late 70s
Song used in trailer/commercial: "Dirty Water" - The Standells

qydkt.jpg

You start as an Irish-American, whose a HS senior in South Boston. While you're good student (particularly in chemistry), you hangout with some of the "wrong crowd" and commit petty crimes here and there- eventually get a bit involved with the Irish mob. This part of the game would mostly take place in Southie and perhaps in Roxbury as well. Racial tensions between Irish (Southie) and African Americans (Roxbury) would be a theme- perhaps your character secretly becomes a friend of some dude in Roxbury, who helps you out later in the game.

Next, you get accepted into Harvard, and this causes a riff between you and a lot your friends, as they you're trying to appear better than them. This part of the game would take place in Cambridge, and could heavily satirize preppy Ivy Leaguers and have some MIT jokes as well. I guess Rockstar could use similar elements from "Bully" here, but eventually, you start hanging out with your Southie friends and expand crime activity throughout the city. Some "friends" will try to betray you, and you'll have to pick if they live or die at some points in the game.

In Boston, you have landmarks such as Fenway Park, Faneuil Hall, Prudential Building, USS Constitution and some other ethnic/economic neighborhoods: Chinatown, North End (Italian), Brookline (more suburban and wealthy). Though one difficult thing (as with all open-world games), is setting boundaries. For Boston, to the east, there's the ocean, but north, south, and west pose some issues. I'd extend the water to wrap around to the north and south (forming a larger peninsula) and just have a few blocked/gated off roads at the western border. Mountains blocking off areas wouldn't make much sense for Boston.

Towards end of the game, you're well involved in the Irish mob and get introduced to members of the IRA. You, being well-educated and trained in chemicals, travel (perhaps a bit reluctantly) to Ireland and begin making bombs in safe-houses in the countryside/Dublin. And the big decision of the game comes when you have to deliver and detonate a bomb in Belfast or London. The ramifications are, at the end of game: if you don't, your mobster friends find you and kill you; and if you do, you either eventually get caught by the FBI in Boston or a MI5 agent finds you and kills you. A recurring theme of the game would be: once your involved in a life of crime, you're dead no matter what.

Personally, with the above ending section, I do not think a game like this would ever get made. It'd involve some extremely sensitive issues that parallel actual history too directly for many people. However, I do think it'd make the game much more interesting/powerful , but it'd probably get banned in Ireland and the UK- and even many members of the US Congress would be opposed to its release.

Nice work m8 :)

Yoshi256

Banned
GTA IV is three years old, it's really about time to announce the new GTA.
I think San Andreas will have a comeback.
Perhaps it will be a PS3-exclusive game that uses the whole 50 gb of the Blu-Ray disc.

louis89

I would say that the UK is probably the second most known country there is. I'd say that Britain is, outside of the US, the most viable place for a GTA to be set, in terms of how well known this country's culture and pecularities are to people around the world. And obviously, if you do the UK, you're doing London. But even London I'm not sure about how well it would work. Plus I guess I'm biased against it, because I live in this city and I want my GTA to be in somewhere far away and new.

To everyone saying "Chicago", "Vancouver", etc., none of those places are ever going to happen. Nobody outside of North America knows anything about those places. As much as I'd love Tokyo, nobody in the general population of the world really knows anything about it. Not to mention the language barrier and complete lack of recognisable mainstream modern cultural icons.

To summarise: It has to be in the US, and within the US, it has to be New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Las Vegas. And it is already those, so I don't think it's going to be changed.

Neuromancer said:
I would kill for this.

Met again, we've agreed on this in a similar GTA thread :)

Hollywood, eh...I guess all we can do is wait and see. The characters sound hilarious enough.

Ranger X said:
what the hell...

Yes, that would be fucking sweet!

Dubai_skyline_.web.jpg

I'd be down for something set in the UK. Maybe Rockstar was avoiding it because they expected that to be Getaway territory, but Sony obviously hasn't moved ahead with that franchise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hollywood is super underwhelming, but it's GTA, I'll still be there day one. I loved GTAIV, but I hope they take close look at RDR's success since it, in a lot ways, refined what worked with GTAIV. All the emergent events like horse robbers and shit made the world feel interesting and active long after the campaign is over. I look forward to more Euphoria, though, I love that shit.

Just hopin there will be a PC version at release. The GTAIV port was rough, but I'm still getting 2X the FPS and resolution with it compared to the PS3 version which is a definite upgrade.

I really doubt they'd do Dubai. I don't think Rockstar wants to pick that fight...

Snuggler said:
Hollywood is super underwhelming, but it's GTA
Have you ever been to Hollywood? Regardless, it'll be LA not just Hollywood.

Dabanton

Snuggler said:
Just hopin there will be a PC version at release. The GTAIV port was rough, but I'm still getting 2X the FPS and resolution with it compared to the PS3 version which is a definite upgrade.

On the list of priorities The PC version of any of it's big games is sadly usually low on the to do list.

They didn't even have the main team work on the PC port of GTA:IV instead they handed it off to Rockstar Toronto.

Top Bottom