• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DennisK4 said:
I got to laugh at GTA: Dubai - games are a business. There is now way in hell that game will sell a much as a game set in a large american city.

Thats why we are not likely to see GTA: Paris, GTA: Vancouver or whatever, either.
Wasn't their last game a Western? Not exactly a popular genre, one of the reasons Rockstar are so successful is that they aren't afraid to take risks. That being said I doubt we will see a GTA set in Dubai, because GTA seems to be rockstars bread and butter franchise that pays for their riskier projects.

Ninja Scooter said:
to the average person is there enough of a difference between Philly, Detroit, Chicago, DC and what they already did in Liberty? It seems like they go for places that are iconic and that have completely unique visual elements. You can tell NY, LA or Miami just by the visual style.
I'm not talking exact replication like they did with NYC in IV (more or less), I'm talking about taking the elements and distilling them.

The only other american city that has that same kind of iconic visual style that Rockstar could leech is probably New Orleans. Maybe Boston, but it's been so overused in movies lately I don't know if that would make Rockstar more or less likely to want to use it.

Buckethead said:
I'm not talking exact replication like they did with NYC in IV (more or less), I'm talking about taking the elements and distilling them.

Isn't that basically what Liberty City is? I mean, i know places like DC and Chicago have their own elements but when somebody from bumfuck, kansas sees a picture of Los Angeles or Miami, they can tell right away. A lot of it is cliches (the beach, neon lights, palm trees, hollywood sign, ect..) but it gives it away. That seems to be what Rockstar goes for.

Despite the rumors, I can't understand why Rockstar is going with LA. San Andreas did it, Midnight Club did it, LA Noire is doing it... it kind of seems a little worn out already, and that's just Rockstar's games.

Love it! This has possibility to be incredible considering the variety of environments in LA area in general. I hope they really capture the traffic and densely populated areas.

disappeared said:
Despite the rumors, I can't understand why Rockstar is going with LA. San Andreas did it, Midnight Club did it, LA Noire is doing it... it kind of seems a little worn out already, and that's just Rockstar's games.
They seem to have an MO of going back to the same well again and again.

Dabanton

poppabk said:
I'm actually serious. Why wouldn't a move to a different country be a good idea?

You do understand what GTA is right? And why moving it to another country would make no sense.

Ninja Scooter said:
Isn't that basically what Liberty City is? I mean, i know places like DC and Chicago have their own elements but when somebody from bumfuck, kansas sees a picture of Los Angeles or Miami, they can tell right away. A lot of it is cliches (the beach, neon lights, palm trees, hollywood sign, ect..) but it gives it away. That seems to be what Rockstar goes for.
To their discredit, Vice City went for the broad strokes and that was their most uninteresting city.
GTA III was an amalgam which brought a lot of substance. GTA IV was more of a pure representation and my opinion is that it was lifeless.

Whatever, you could argue this forever. I just hope this one is as epic as SA. Incredible scope.

With an almost 4-year life cycle it should be epic.

poppabk

Ninja Scooter said:
The only other american city that has that same kind of iconic visual style that Rockstar could leech is probably New Orleans. Maybe Boston, but it's been so overused in movies lately I don't know if that would make Rockstar more or less likely to want to use it.
DC could work, it has lots of apeable scenery in the center, the monuments, the senate, the white house etc. A criminal/political plot would be quite interesting as well. Crooked politicians, call girls, drugs, bribes etc could make an interesting plot.

Well at least it would be better then Liberty City that we got in GTA4. But like most I'd prefer a Vice City setting, shortly after the events if GTA VC. The city, and time period were great

Zinthar said:
The Grand Theft Auto series is defined by its satirical take on America in different time periods. How are they going to do that in any of the places you mentioned? Satire only works if the core audience understands the premise.

The vast majority of sales for the GTA series are in the U.S. -- GTA:V will almost certainly be in an American city. The only exception would be if they picked a period in time in a specific city that is extremely well-known in popular culture. I can't think of anything in the above-mentioned cities that qualifies. I also think Tokyo, for instance, is out, unless Rockstar feels comfortable having all of the main characters speak English.

New York was an excellent setting because it's extremely well-known, a common setting for movies and TV shows seen across the Western world, and it's very diverse as well.

If Rockstar is indeed doing Hollywood (though it would be truly surprising if it weren't at least all of L.A., b/c Hollywood is too small), then it may not be 2010 Hollywood -- it may be set in the 1950's, for instance, because of the furor over McCarthyism and allegations of communists working at Hollywood studios. Plus, 1950's faux American wholesomeness (see, e.g., Leave it to Beaver) would be a great satirical target.

Totally agree. But people keep forgetting about this:

LA-Noire-cover-art.jpg

truly101 said:
Hollywood (Vinewood) was in SA, so they woul just be revisiting that area, probably adding maybe SD and Tijuana to the south.

Tijuana would be an awesome addition. And for people saying that LA has no character, that's just not true. LA has a huge population with dozens of distinct neighborhoods. Ranges from opulent mansions in the hills to dirt-poor ghettos. Mountains, forest, desert, beaches all an hour away.

It's been 7 years since San Andreas, I think it's clearly where they should go.

Also, I live there and would like a version of my home in which I can kill EVERYONE. Who wouldn't want to take a rocket launcher to a traffic jam on the 405?

That said, whatever they do will be awesome.

This question is due largely to me being Canadian ignorance, but how many large-scale cities are left in the US that Rockstar could realistically make a GTA game out of?

notjackbauer said:
Tijuana would be an awesome addition. And for people saying that LA has no character, that's just not true.
Tijuana would be pretty awesome and who is saying that LA has no character?

Crazy people that's who.

As much as I want the Boston/Detroit/Chicago/Midwest-a-thon, my bet is it will be in stark contrast to GTA IV. It'll be warm and sunny wherever they've decided to go.

And I read like 2 of those "cast descriptions" and that sounds just awful. I hope those are fake.

LQX

poppabk said:
Being a fish out of water in america worked for the last game, being a fish out of water as an american would be a nice follow up on that theme I think. Crime, shoot outs and being chased by the cops would work just as well in Dubai as LA - they have BMW 5 series cop cars, Pathfinders, helicopters boats etc.
But what about the other elements like the radio, women, diversity? Just transplant all of that without taking in consideration the makeup of Dubai?

A great thing about GTA is that it goes out of its way to encompass all the flavors of each city. Going to place like Dubai they would have fake a lot it, more so than all the past games combined. Cant see it working for them as developers and us as gamers.

disappeared said:
This question is due largely to me being Canadian ignorance, but how many large-scale cities are left in the US that Rockstar could realistically make a GTA game out of?
According to Wikipedia these are the top 10 largest cities in the US:

1 New York New York
2 Los Angeles California
3 Chicago Illinois
4 Houston Texas
5 Phoenix Arizona
6 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
7 San Antonio Texas
8 San Diego California
9 Dallas Texas
10 San Jose California

poppabk

Dabanton said:
You do understand what GTA is right? And why moving it to another country would make no sense.
I guess I don't. I figured it was mainly about driving cars and committing crimes in an English guys pastiche of American movie culture.

Javaman

Darklord said:
I doubt they'd have it in LA. Both LA Noir and the next GTA in the same city in different time periods?

Considering how much work goes into recreating the cities, I wouldn't be suprised if they shared the assets. Maybe they could loosely tie the games together.

Neuromancer said:
According to Wikipedia these are the top 10 largest cities in the US:

1 New York New York
2 Los Angeles California
3 Chicago Illinois
4 Houston Texas
5 Phoenix Arizona
6 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
7 San Antonio Texas
8 San Diego California
9 Dallas Texas
10 San Jose California

Most of that list is kinda lacking in character, though. Chicago, DC, Boston, New Orleans would all be good fodder, though I don't know much about Philly or any Texas cities.

GTA: USA

Covering 5 major cities in the states. Miami, LA, Dallas, Washington and Detroit. Having 5 cities would be a huge and impossible amount of work for Rockstar. Unless each city was the size of one island in GTAIV. Just a chunk. Flying from city to city. That would be my ideal GTA. I know itd never happen though. :(

iNvid02

When i played GTA IV on PS3 when it first came out i thought it was good, but missed the wackiness of san andreas. Just replayed it on PC a few weeks ago and it was such a better experience (probably because its on pc). But there hasn't been a single gta game i didnt like, so im down with whatever rockstar does

if i had to choose i would wanna go back to england

Dabanton

poppabk said:
I guess I don't. I figured it was mainly about driving cars and committing crimes in an English guys pastiche of American movie culture.

It's that but you also have to see the entire picture aboiut what they try to do with each of the games. It's about more than just moving the game to a city. I had this same sort of convo in another GTA thread a few weeks back and i feel my answer their would apply here as well.

VistraNorrez said:
This doesn't make any sense to me. There's plenty of obvious satirical material American's can get of European culture. It's hard to live in a secluded little shell anymore. They can make the main character an American and he can point out tons of things. They can do the "stupid American" thing right off the bat. Everyone can make fat jokes even though he isn't even remotely. If they go esoteric at times, oh well there's a joke for just some of us to get.

You think everyone in America gets all satire in GTA IV? Most haven't visited NYC, and if they have only Manhattan, but they understand the character of the city. It has a reputation so does Europe or any specific major city or culture they want to spoof.

dabanton said:
I don't think it matters if we have visited or not American TV has been a part of most of our lives forever But the whole game is seeped in satire.

From the TV shows to the radio the billboards and shopfronts all of it is part of a world most of us know from excessive US TV watching.

And that went from something as simple as Americas next top hooker and medicate me.
to the rolling news alerts of weazel news,american political campaign adverts and all the rest. Subconsciously most of us will understand that.If they set it in france for instance what tv shows could they spoof that we would all know?

Or radio stations in GTA:IV we had radio broker puncturing new york hipsters quite deftly what could spanish radio do? Setting it in a place with another language as well as having a character point things out that's not how satire works in GTA. It's in the DNA of the city.

Maxrunner

Why not in space? they sure need something different, pple have been stealing cars for 5 games already.....and the whole gang/mafia/whatever thing is getting stale....

notjackbauer said:
Most of that list is kinda lacking in character, though. Chicago, DC, Boston, New Orleans would all be good fodder, though I don't know much about Philly or any Texas cities.
All cities have character, it's easier to go with the obvious choices though.

Jay Sosa

Forkball said:
Boooo. I want it set in Asia. Big cities, diverse environments, and it's something new for the franchise.

That would be pretty neat, but has anyone at Rockstar any clue whats going on there? I rather have some japanese based developer tackle an asian GTA.

notjackbauer said:
Tijuana would be an awesome addition.

Tijuana could work as an outskirt area if GTA V centers on Los Santos (LA) but still has rural areas connecting lots of little hamlets. TJ could be a diversion in some remote corner of the map. Basically just create Revolucion Street and a bunch of surrounding slums.

But if the Hollywood rumor is true, it sounds to me like they will just concentrate on LA, doing it in a grand style like GTA IV did NYC.

poppabk

Dabanton said:
From the TV shows to the radio the billboards and shopfronts all of it is part of a world most of us know from excessive US TV watching.

And that went from something as simple as Americas next top hooker and medicate me.
to the rolling news alerts of weazel news,american political campaign adverts and all the rest. Subconsciously most of us will understand that.If they set it in france for instance what tv shows could they spoof that we would all know?

Or radio stations in GTA:IV we had radio broker puncturing new york hipsters quite deftly what could spanish radio do? Setting it in a place with another language as well as having a character point things out that's not how satire works in GTA. It's in the DNA of the city.
But thats the beauty of setting it in a city that has a westernized culture where the lingua franca is English, they actually have a bunch of English radio stations. What better way to satirize a culture than to look at one that is incorrectly adapting it into their own.
colonelsanta.img_assist_custom.jpg

.\

jakncoke

Banned
Perhaps they could do a east coast theme of Boston-NYC-NJ-Philly-Baltimore-DC. I think that could have potential. But in the end where ever they go, if there isn't vast open regions like in San Andreas i'll be vastly disappointed . I loved messing around in the nothingness for hours

jakncoke said:
Perhaps they could do a east coast theme of Boston-NYC-NJ-Philly-Baltimore-DC. I think that could have potential. But in the end where ever they go, if there isn't vast open regions like in San Andreas i'll be vastly disappointed . I loved messing around in the nothingness for hours

Yeah, the return of small towns and rural areas are a must for V.

And of course there are cities that have more character than others. Miami would give them a lot more to work with than Topeka.

poppabk said:

Are you from Dubai or something ? I can't think of a much worse location for a GTA game.
It's like the guy in the other thread saying the next GTA should be in Cleveland. Dreams are nice, but get real.

Deepack said:
The feeling I'm getting from those rumoured character descriptions is a seventies vibe.

I doubt they would set both Agent and GTA V in the 70s. I think GTA V will be contemporary.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Deepack said:
The feeling I'm getting from those rumoured character descriptions is a seventies vibe.
They make alot of references to very modern things though.

Haven't you guys considered that GTA doesn't take place in any of these other countries because the writers don't know enough about the cultures/cities to create interesting stories?

That and a lot of the celebrity pastiche from the past games relied on a certain level of pop culture familiarity. You couldn't pitch a game with London or Tokyo "in jokes" to an American audience on the same scale.

Marleyman

Banned
Deepack said:

38 – Annoying, wise cracking, highly successful FBI agent. In great shape. Does triathlons, drinks low cal beer, but still has a sense of humor.

I don't think there was lo-cal beer back in the 70's.

With all the "hints" they dropped in Gay Tony, I really doubt that it's going to be in Vice City.

Seemed like a red herring.

I'd say the Hollywood/LA thing has the most merit, but still not much.

Top Bottom