• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Jay Sosa

Foliorum Viridum said:
Man, I wish they kept 5 (or whatever this will be called) for next-gen and kept putting out Episodes for GTA IV.

Damn you fools for not buying them!

Damn Rockstar for making a shitty game.

Man how can anyone not like San Andreas.

How can anyone like GTA 4?

I'm sorry I really tried not to start bashing GTA 4 again, I'm so weak.

StuBurns said:
EDIT: The FBI thing is odd, even internal stuff I'd think was labeled FIB still.

I don't know about that, but it looks more of a casting call, external use.

And GTA1 San Andreas only covered San Francisco, dammit!

Tokubetsu

Gravijah said:
Man how can anyone not like San Andreas.

It's way too over the top, don't care for any of the characters and it's long & boring. By time I hit Vegas I was tired of the game.

Which is kinda funny since I'm black and you'd think a black main character & supporting cast (finally) would appeal more to me...

StuBurns

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
I don't know about that, but it looks more of a casting call, external use.

And GTA1 San Andreas only covered San Francisco, dammit!
Wiki says it's a composite of California, that's how I remember it too, and it's what makes sense given the PS2 game.

Darkman M

Tokubetsu said:
San Andreas is the only 3D GTA I don't like so not sure how to feel about this yet...love GTAIV though so we'll see.

GTA SA is the best gta easily, it is also rockstars 2nd best game ever right behind RDR.

Gravijah

Tokubetsu said:
It's way too over the top, don't care for any of the characters and it's long & boring. By time I hit Vegas I was tired of the game.

But man, it had a New Jack Swing station!

StuBurns said:
Wiki says it's a composite of California, that's how I remember it too, and it's what makes sense given the PS2 game.

It was San Fran. You spent your time in that chapter battling triads and Japanese gangstars. The beach city motif was used only for Vice City (battling with/against rastas & gov agents).

LQX

I hope it is set in LA. I loved driving around San Andreas, made me actually want to visit California.

Tokubetsu

Darkman M said:
GTA SA is the best gta easily, it is also rockstars 2nd best game ever right behind RDR.
RDR > Vice City = GTAIV > GTA3 > The Warriors > Smuggler's Run > Bully >>>>>>>> San Andreas

NYR

NYR said:
Surprised at the number of people asking for an internationally set GTA. Didn't Sam Houser always say GTA was about the American dream? His stories have always surrounded stereotypical American themes, no? I have never thought of playing a GTA game outside of America...yes, London can be used as a case in point to prove that wrong, but I think that is the exception, not the rule...
Still stand by my post from 2010. Bring on LA.

Solidav

Neo Member
Hugbot said:
Vice City or bust.
vc_postcard_site_640w.jpg

Jay Sosa said:
Damn Rockstar for making a shitty game.

How can anyone like GTA 4?

I'm sorry I really tried not to start bashing GTA 4 again, I'm so weak.
Man, bad taste. Such bad taste.

The GTA IV hate on GAF is ridiculous. One of the finest games ever made, moreso with the Episodes.

Sethos

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Man, bad taste. Such bad taste.

The GTA IV hate on GAF is ridiculous. One of the finest games ever made, moreso with the Episodes.

Agreed. GTA IV is one of the finest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing - The attention to details, the graphics, the physics, the quality, the car handling, everything made my funny bone go all funny.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Heheh. As a Rio de Janeiro resident, I think it'd be cool to see how Rockstar would portray my hometown in a game. :)

Dabanton

Wouldn't surprise me if R* has already started putting out misinformation they certainly run a very tight ship over there in regards to leaks. Who for instance foresaw GTA:IV's main character and city.

I'm feeling a reveal oct/nov of this year and a release next May.

Darkman M

Tokubetsu said:
RDR > Vice City = GTAIV > GTA3 > The Warriors > Smuggler's Run > Bully >>>>>>>> San Andreas

Gravijah said:
RDR>SA>IV>III>VC

Probably. I dunno, hard to choose.

Atleast we can all agree that RDR was their Masterpiece!

mine goes...

RDR>Gta sa>Gta III>Gta vc>Gta IV.

Tokubetsu

Dabanton said:
Wouldn't surprise me if R* has already started putting out misinformation they certainly run a very tight ship over there in regards to leaks. Who for instance foresaw GTA:IV's main character and city.

I'm feeling a reveal oct/nov of this year and a release next May.

I could see a reveal/teaser at e3. Kinda like that GTAIV teaser back in 07? The one with just some epic instrumental and a time lapse of the city.

Jay Sosa

Gravijah said:
The physics were fun. I enjoyed it, but this is not the place!

I know, I know. I'm truly sorry. It's just so hard to resist.

Atleast we can all agree that RDR was their Masterpiece!

No way, Jose!

Haven't played it yet, only once over at a friends house. But 15 minutes convinced me that I need to get this game. Still waiting on the usual amazon.co.uk price drop, what can I say.. I'm a cheap bastard

Marleyman

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I could see a reveal/teaser at e3. Kinda like that GTAIV teaser back in 07? The one with just some epic instrumental and a time lapse of the city.

Yep - that is how I think they will do it. I could see, like someone else mentioned, April/May 2012 as a potential release date.

I think a Los Angeles game has potential, although I wanted a Detroit/Wash DC/Boston hybrid to be honest.
That way you could have snow cycles, interesting political stuff, etc.

Maybe focus on meth, shitty economy leading to crime, etc.

I had a thought the other day that it'd be sweet if they tried to make it sort of like GTA: Mirror's Edge where the characters has a lot of running/climbing abilities.
Have an emphasis on street chases and stuff like that.

San Andreas (I'm replaying now) had great buildup. There was a sense of discovery both in gameplay, game modes, and little easter eggs.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think they should move outside the US, maybe Dubai. It would keep the overall big city feel of the game, but would allow something a little different in terms of locale and open up new avenues for story and missions.

neptunes

Tokubetsu said:
I don;t think Rockstar has ever shown off a GTA at e3.

Dabanton

poppabk said:
I think they should move outside the US, maybe Dubai. It would keep the overall big city feel of the game, but would allow something a little different in terms of locale and open up new avenues for story and missions.

Is this a satirical post it's hard to tell nowadays.

Buckethead said:
I think a Los Angeles game has potential, although I wanted a Detroit/Wash DC/Boston hybrid to be honest.
That way you could have snow cycles, interesting political stuff, etc.

Maybe focus on meth, shitty economy leading to crime, etc.

I had a thought the other day that it'd be sweet if they tried to make it sort of like GTA: Mirror's Edge where the characters has a lot of running/climbing abilities.
Have an emphasis on street chases and stuff like that.

San Andreas (I'm replaying now) had great buildup. There was a sense of discovery both in gameplay, game modes, and little easter eggs.
DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia would be amazing.

Oppo

Goldrusher said:
...the American Dream and American pop culture is at the heart of the (modern, Houser) GTA games.

Thank you, I'm glad someone else said it. This is always how they've defined "Grand Theft Auto" - a comment on America.

Any games moving outside of america with that engine would just be a different series.

BUT - I will add, maybe the Hollywood thing is just them being clever. i.e. if you are involved in the movie making system in this game, there's no reason they couldn't fly you all over to different locations, and even have a semi plausible story way of explaining why you can't really stray too far off set...

poppabk

Dabanton said:
Is this a satirical post it's hard to tell nowadays.
I'm actually serious. Why wouldn't a move to a different country be a good idea?

Oppo

Because the fastest camelid in the middle east is no match for a bugatti veyron and there is nothing in between available in Dubai?

AshMcCool

Wow, I'm suprised some people like san andreas the least. It's by far my favorite of the series, partly due to the main protagist undergoes some real character development. The missions were nicely varied too. And lets not forget the sheer size of the map. Nice feeling of freedom and travel.

poppabk

PortTwo said:
Because the fastest camelid in the middle east is no match for a bugatti veyron and there is nothing in between available in Dubai?
Yeah a GTA game set in this setting would be a completely different game, racing camels and such.
dubai.jpg

front-of-the-hotel-from.jpg

KingJ2002

it doesn't matter where it's set to be honest... as long as it has a great story, interesting characters, and genre-defining gameplay... I will be happy.

...a GTA set in Vegas would be sick though

LQX

poppabk said:
I'm actually serious. Why wouldn't a move to a different country be a good idea?
But Dubai? A lot of GTA is about crime, shoot outs, chasing and being chased by the cops. Don't see how they can mold all that on Dubai. Yes it as nice buildings but I think just dropping all the elements of GTA on a city it does not fit would would take many out of the experience. And I think it will be even harder to work in music, diversity and even women which is major in every GTA.

Neuromancer said:
DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia would be amazing.
I don't know much about Philly but Detroit has lots of potential. Lots to draw from.

I could also see a Southwest GTA being cool. Arizona, Vegas, something like that.

Oppo

poppabk said:
Yeah a GTA game set in this setting would be a completely different game, racing camels and such.
Oh I'm well aware that parts of Dubai are quite ultra modern. I was just making a dumb comment on the inequality, don't take me the wrong way.

It would be cool, I agree, but it wouldn't be GTA.

Buckethead said:
I don't know much about Philly but Detroit has lots of potential. Lots to draw from.

I could also see a Southwest GTA being cool. Arizona, Vegas, something like that.

to the average person is there enough of a difference between Philly, Detroit, Chicago, DC and what they already did in Liberty? It seems like they go for places that are iconic and that have completely unique visual elements. You can tell NY, LA or Miami just by the visual style.

Dennis

Banned
I got to laugh at GTA: Dubai - games are a business. There is now way in hell that game will sell a much as a game set in a large american city.

Thats why we are not likely to see GTA: Paris, GTA: Vancouver or whatever, either.

poppabk

LQX said:
But Dubai? A lot of GTA is about crime, shoot outs, chasing and being chased by the cops. Don't see how they can mold all that on Dubai. Yes it as nice buildings but I think just dropping all the elements of GTA on a city it does not fit would would take many out of the experience. And I think it will be even harder to work in music, diversity and even women which is major in every GTA.
Being a fish out of water in america worked for the last game, being a fish out of water as an american would be a nice follow up on that theme I think. Crime, shoot outs and being chased by the cops would work just as well in Dubai as LA - they have BMW 5 series cop cars, Pathfinders, helicopters boats etc.

Detroit would be fucking offensive and I don't ever offend. Pick Chicago or some other place that doesn't resemble a third world country.

James Woods said:
Detroit would be fucking offensive and I don't ever offend. Pick Chicago or some other place that doesn't resemble a third world country.
What if you were playing as Robocop, though?

Top Bottom