• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GTA V set in Hollywood [Update: Rumored Cast Post 330]

Death Dealer said:
The city itself was great. I loved the driving physics. But the missions (usually only one way to do things, not emergent like past GTAs) and the plot (by the time it got to the last Island) sucked in comparison.

The plot is more of an opinion (I don't agree), but most missions offered multiple paths. There are a ton of alleys and paths to escape in and around the city. Finding a little path that a car could barely get through to escape under a bridge and lose the cops gave me a wonderful feeling. Not to mention most chase missions you could kill the target during the chase or follow them to a spot and take them out there. Just go look up a mission on youtube and you'll see plenty of ways to beat a mission. I only realized after I beat Flat Line that you could wear doctors scrubs. That would've made things easier for me. It can be done without firing a single shot.

Some of the big set piece missions, like Three Leaf Clover, didn't offer much choice but they were so well designed that I didn't care.

Of course depending on what weapons you have can also change the dynamics of a mission.

Snuggler said:
Hollywood is super underwhelming, but it's GTA, I'll still be there day one. I loved GTAIV, but I hope they take close look at RDR's success since it, in a lot ways, refined what worked with GTAIV. All the emergent events like horse robbers and shit made the world feel interesting and active long after the campaign is over. I look forward to more Euphoria, though, I love that shit.

I'd say you can bet that they will incorporate that into the next game. I'm sure there will be muggings and carjackings you can stop. And if it's LA there might even be some parody of Crips vs Bloods emergent gang battles that you can partake in.

The strangers you could encounter in 4 and RDR were a great addition. Little missions with great minor characters really made the world a more interesting and believable place.

Dennis

Banned
Dabanton said:
On the list of priorities The PC version of any of it's big games is sadly usually low on the to do list.

They didn't even have the main team work on the PC port of GTA:IV instead they handed it off to Rockstar Toronto.
And they did a fantastic job. GTA IV is of the graphically most impressive games ever
ever so slightly modded

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dabanton said:
On the list of priorities The PC version of any of it's big games is sadly usually low on the to do list.

They didn't even have the main team work on the PC port of GTA:IV instead they handed it off to Rockstar Toronto.

Yeah, I won't get my hopes up, especially since RDR hasn't had a PC port, and LA Noire might not either. It's not the end of the world, though, I can still enjoy this stuff on consoles. It's not I haven't been playing on consoles exclusively for the last 4 years of this gen.

still excited for more Rockstar awesomeness

szaromir

Banned
louis89 said:
I would say that the UK is probably the second most known country there is. I'd say that Britain is, outside of the US, the most viable place for a GTA to be set, in terms of how well known this country's culture and pecularities are to people around the world. And obviously, if you do the UK, you're doing London. But even London I'm not sure about how well it would work. Plus I guess I'm biased against it, because I live in this city and I want my GTA to be in somewhere far away and new.

To everyone saying "Chicago", "Vancouver", etc., none of those places are ever going to happen. Nobody outside of North America knows anything about those places. As much as I'd love Tokyo, nobody in the general population of the world really knows anything about it. Not to mention the language barrier and complete lack of recognisable mainstream modern cultural icons.

To summarise: It has to be in the US, and within the US, it has to be New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Las Vegas. And it is already those, so I don't think it's going to be changed.
Paris is a very mainstream worldwide known city, so are (to lesser extent) Moscow, Sydney, Mexico, Rio de Janeiro (where Max Payne 3 is placed!) and Rome. I'm not sure familiarity with the location is that necessary, either.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Also, the listings allude to two characters in the game — Simon and Albert de Silvia. Going to assume one of those is the protagonist; I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new GTA protagonist was a father.

Zeliard

Hollywood is pretty much the perfect setting to satirize American culture, which is basically what GTA is all about (buncha asshole Brits mocking us).

I hope that the game will take place today. The cellphone was a really nice feature in GTA IV. They could take it to the next level with smartphones. Like having access to the internet everywhere with 3G, or mini-games when you have to wait, etc...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Snuggler said:
Yeah, I won't get my hopes up, especially since RDR hasn't had a PC port, and LA Noire might not either. It's not the end of the world, though, I can still enjoy this stuff on consoles. It's not I haven't been playing on consoles exclusively for the last 4 years of this gen.

still excited for more Rockstar awesomeness
It will be a shame if they never get PC ports as Rockstars games tend to need the extra hardware to get the most out of them. Maybe they are hoping to port to the next generation of consoles. Whatever happens I hope they end up playable at 1080p 60FPS on some hardware.

Bizzyb

Banned
Houston3000 said:
I like the Vegas idea

Obviously fictionalized and exaggerated though (like Vice City is to Miami or Liberty City is to New York)

-Non coastal city
-No shorelines
-No beaches
-No ports
-No boats/boat missions
-No island zoning limits

Has a modern day GTA game ever don this? I know RDR had the northern and southern borders zoned off by rocky structures that were impossible to scale but I don't think GTA has ever gone this route. Also it would kill a good quarter of their mission types, i.e. boat missions/races

randrews

Neo Member
For those of you who are interested, this is what Robert Esparza looks like:

423232.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
randrews said:
Earlier today, twitter investigator, @supererogatory posted some info about the new GTA game. While she didn't post the information explicitly, she did point out where you could find the information. For those who aren't interested in digging, this is a possible list of parts that might be in the new GTA game

Mitch Hayes:
38 – Annoying, wise cracking, highly successful FBI agent. In great shape. Does triathlons, drinks low cal beer, but still has a sense of humor.

Miguel Gonzalez:
25 Young Mexican American FBI agent, caught between a few mob bosses. Very clean cut

Clyde:
23 – Moronic, almost inbred and creepy white trash hillbilly. Very naïve but in a creepy ‘it’s only incest sort of way’

Brother Adam:
Welsh monk / cult leader / yoga teacher – 50, very lithe, very into exploring your personal tension through gripping massage. Needs Welsh accent.

Mrs Avery:
Neurotic soccer mom, home maker, 48, anxious and addled on pain killers. Very angry at neighbor MRS Bell.

Mrs Bell:
Swinger, and mellow Californian divorcee. 45. Ugly but comfortable with self.

Eddie:
47 – Weed evangelist, guy who started smoking at 30, and is now a leading proponent of marijuana’s fantastic properties. White, awkward.

Ira Bernstein:
56 – publicist for an actress known as America’s newest sweetheart who just so happens to love animals, orphans, drugs and sex. He’s always trying to hide her latest indiscretion.

Kevin De Silva:
18 – Albert’s fat, FPS playing gamer son. Smokes a lot of weed, has anxiety issues and a card for a bad back, very soft, very opinionated. Into making racist comments while playing online.

Harut Vartanyan:
42-52 years old – Armenian car dealer, moneylender, would be Fagin and would be bully. Heavily connected to the underworld, but irritates people so much no one likes him.

Nervous Jerry:
48 – paranoiac living in the sticks, near Simon, completely paranoid, and terrified of Simon.

Calvin North:
55 – clapped out FBI agent who now mostly works offering advice on TV shows – whose only claim to fame turns out to be entirely false – but a decent guy in other ways. Badly dressed. Divorced. Putting on weight.

Jerry Cole:
53 – disabled IT expert and criminal information vendor.

Rich Roberts:
English hardman actor, 35, who acts tough but who wants to do serious work - the only problem is he can't quite read the words.

Alex:
white 52 yr old loosie goosie hippy rich guy who has lost his money and is getting desperate but trying not to.

Scarlet:
45-52 years old – unshaven female spiritualist and hippy with a love of exploring the wilderness. Very into journeys.

Chad:
29 – pretty boy misogynist Beverly Hills party boy. Made money, but not as cool as he thinks he is.

Tae Wong:
39 – somewhat incompetent Chinese mobster, loves doing ecstasy, going to raves.

Taes Translator:
45 - VERY STRAIGHT LACED Chinese translator, terrified of his boss’s dad. Male, awkward. Needs to speak Chinese.

If rumours are to be believed, the game will be set in LA.

Ok Highway Ricky Ross story please!!!

GTA 2 was set in London if I recall correctly...

London would be an incredibly difficult city to do in 3D. Unlike New York or even Paris, London is not set out in a grid, and it contains so many side streets and back alleys. If they were to try, it would be a grid based city, with London monuments and the River set out among this new city layout!

RockmanWhore said:
I hope that the game will take place today. The cellphone was a really nice feature in GTA IV. They could take it to the next level with smartphones. Like having access to the internet everywhere with 3G, or mini-games when you have to wait, etc...
The cell phone was one of the few aspects I actually liked.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Nuclear Muffin said:
GTA 2 was set in London if I recall correctly...

London would be an incredibly difficult city to do in 3D. Unlike New York or even Paris, London is not set out in a grid, and it contains so many side streets and back alleys. If they were to try, it would be a grid based city, with London monuments and the River set out among this new city layout!

none of the games are set in a REAL life city.. if they wanted to do a London type setting I am sure it wouldn't be hard to pull off..

G_Berry

Banned
Yoshi256 said:
GTA IV is three years old, it's really about time to announce the new GTA.
I think San Andreas will have a comeback.
Perhaps it will be a PS3-exclusive game that uses the whole 50 gb of the Blu-Ray disc.

LOL WUT?

Flashbacks to 3 years ago when Sony trolls blamed the games shortcomings on the fact it was multi platform and didn't use teh blu ray potential!

He's just a junior. His idealism hasn't been shattered completely yet.

Give it time. Soon he'll be as miserable as everyone else.

Dabanton

G_Berry said:
LOL WUT?

Flashbacks to 3 years ago when Sony trolls blamed the games shortcomings on the fact it was multi platform and didn't use teh blu ray potential!

I remember Wollan saying you'd have to change DVD's each time you'd come to tollbooth in the 360 version. :D

I still remember the uproar when we finally learned the resolutions of the 360 and PS3 versions.

randrews said:
Earlier today, twitter investigator, @supererogatory posted some info about the new GTA game. While she didn't post the information explicitly, she did point out where you could find the information. For those who aren't interested in digging, this is a possible list of parts that might be in the new GTA game

Mitch Hayes:
38 – Annoying, wise cracking, highly successful FBI agent. In great shape. Does triathlons, drinks low cal beer, but still has a sense of humor.

Miguel Gonzalez:
25 Young Mexican American FBI agent, caught between a few mob bosses. Very clean cut

Clyde:
23 – Moronic, almost inbred and creepy white trash hillbilly. Very naïve but in a creepy ‘it’s only incest sort of way’

Brother Adam:
Welsh monk / cult leader / yoga teacher – 50, very lithe, very into exploring your personal tension through gripping massage. Needs Welsh accent.

Mrs Avery:
Neurotic soccer mom, home maker, 48, anxious and addled on pain killers. Very angry at neighbor MRS Bell.

Mrs Bell:
Swinger, and mellow Californian divorcee. 45. Ugly but comfortable with self.

Eddie:
47 – Weed evangelist, guy who started smoking at 30, and is now a leading proponent of marijuana’s fantastic properties. White, awkward.

Ira Bernstein:
56 – publicist for an actress known as America’s newest sweetheart who just so happens to love animals, orphans, drugs and sex. He’s always trying to hide her latest indiscretion.

Kevin De Silva:
18 – Albert’s fat, FPS playing gamer son. Smokes a lot of weed, has anxiety issues and a card for a bad back, very soft, very opinionated. Into making racist comments while playing online.

Harut Vartanyan:
42-52 years old – Armenian car dealer, moneylender, would be Fagin and would be bully. Heavily connected to the underworld, but irritates people so much no one likes him.

Nervous Jerry:
48 – paranoiac living in the sticks, near Simon, completely paranoid, and terrified of Simon.

Calvin North:
55 – clapped out FBI agent who now mostly works offering advice on TV shows – whose only claim to fame turns out to be entirely false – but a decent guy in other ways. Badly dressed. Divorced. Putting on weight.

Jerry Cole:
53 – disabled IT expert and criminal information vendor.

Rich Roberts:
English hardman actor, 35, who acts tough but who wants to do serious work - the only problem is he can't quite read the words.

Alex:
white 52 yr old loosie goosie hippy rich guy who has lost his money and is getting desperate but trying not to.

Scarlet:
45-52 years old – unshaven female spiritualist and hippy with a love of exploring the wilderness. Very into journeys.

Chad:
29 – pretty boy misogynist Beverly Hills party boy. Made money, but not as cool as he thinks he is.

Tae Wong:
39 – somewhat incompetent Chinese mobster, loves doing ecstasy, going to raves.

Taes Translator:
45 - VERY STRAIGHT LACED Chinese translator, terrified of his boss’s dad. Male, awkward. Needs to speak Chinese.

If rumours are to be believed, the game will be set in LA.

Yup, all of the cliches are there. I guess Rockstar has heard the call of the majority of fans and we will be going back to the juvenile humor and fart jokes.

Guevara

I <3 Memes said:
Yup, all of the cliches are there. I guess Rockstar has heard the call of the majority of fans and we will be going back to the juvenile humor and fart jokes.
That + they'll make the game play less fun again somehow. Probably by making it "more realistic".

The game would be hard to pull off in a different country. The majority of sales come from the USA and a lot of casual people from the US wouldnt want to hear the constant accents from another country. In a US based game there can more more variety of distinguishable accents and archetypes.

I really hope they bring back the San Andreas feel of LA gangs, music, and culture. EDIT: AND JETS!!! lol

Piano

Banned
Maybe GTA V will finally have a single compelling female character. I'm really sick of all the women in the entire series just being insignificant bitches and bimbos that are cast aside.

TheEastonator said:
Maybe GTA V will finally have a single compelling female character. I'm really sick of all the women in the entire series just being insignificant bitches and bimbos that are cast aside.

While the GTA series is normally off the wall, they kept the female archetypes that way because they wanted some ground in reality ;)

Massa

TheEastonator said:

That describes everyone in the GTA games, male or female.

TheEastonator said:
How would you explain Catalina?

Blader

dilatedmuscle said:
While the GTA series is normally off the wall, they kept the female archetypes that way because they wanted some ground in reality ;)

dilatedmuscle
Banned
(Today, 08:30 PM)

:lol

dilatedmuscle said:

If he got banned for saying it, can I be banned for laughing at it? :( I love women Mod-GAF but I lulzed.

London would be good.

If he got banned for that, that would be silly.

Almost as silly as locking grown men in cages for smoking some weed.

And I don't even smoke pot

Guevara said:
That + they'll make the game play less fun again somehow. Probably by making it "more realistic".
I want my ammunation commercials back!
I honestly want the tanks and jetpacks and planes in there. If you don't want to use them fine, more fun for those that do.

BobTheFork said:
I want my ammunation commercials back!
I honestly want the tanks and jetpacks and planes in there. If you don't want to use them fine, more fun for those that do.
The jetpacks were fun but that and the aliens were a little too far over the line, imo.

Everything else from SA fit the story pretty much.

Buckethead said:
The jetpacks were fun but that and the aliens were a little too far over the line, imo.

Everything else from SA fit the story pretty much.
yeah, as far as the actual story and story missions go I agree that aliens were too much.
They should still have all the fun crazy extras. I think more than anything they were worried about having crashing planes and tanks in the streets of what is basically NYC.

With all these rumors abound, would an E3 announcement be likely? I know Rockstar doesn't attend E3, but there aren't any major events until then, are there?

So it's looking like these rumors are have some weight to them, with the whole "RUSH" stuff starting to come out. I'm fine with being on the west coast. I really can't see GTA happening outside of America. Sure, they had GTA:London, but the series didn't truly become what it is until III.

GreatSage

Banned
Buckethead said:
I really doubt they'd do Dubai. I don't think Rockstar wants to pick that fight...

Have you ever been to Hollywood? Regardless, it'll be LA not just Hollywood.

It could easily encompass areas like Malibu, Long Beach and OC.

Zeliard

It would be difficult to make the satire work outside of the U.S. They could of course attempt to satirize other countries/cultures, but I'm not sure how big a hit that would be in the States, where they probably sell the most. Plenty of us here would love them to attempt something different in that fashion, but Dudebro McSales would hate it, so it won't happen.

Zeliard said:
It would be difficult to make the satire work outside of the U.S. They could of course attempt to satirize other countries/cultures, but I'm not sure how big a hit that would be in the States, where they probably sell the most. Plenty of us here would love them to attempt something different in that fashion, but Dudebro McSales would hate it, so it won't happen.

Attempts have been made - several times even. The issue is just that the subject matter doesn't lend itself that well to non-American cities.

Bentendo

notjackbauer said:
Yeah, the return of small towns and rural areas are a must for V.

And of course there are cities that have more character than others. Miami would give them a lot more to work with than Topeka.

csi_topeka.jpg

Hehe...
I live in Topeka... jerk :(

Top Bottom