• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Inside Gaming: Lower-priced, Kinect-less Xbox One coming summer 2014

Bullshit. After investing so much in Kinect, MS aren't going to make it optional and have most developers abandon it entirely. It'll just flounder and fail if they don't keep it mandatory.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Always expected this would happen. Kinect is not going to be the hot item Microsoft thinks it is, at all.

Not lowering the price to 399 would mean that Sony will be steamrolling them in overall marketshare.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
IF they get rid of the kinect as packaged in, it had better be before they launch and give us day 1 people the option. i'm actually ok with kinect with my xbox one, BUT only because right now i have the assurance that everyone has one making it more likely to get good developer support. if they take it out of the package, that might screw over kinect support in the long run.

trmas

Banned
Would be a very MS move... lets screw over our fans, then remove the Kinect for the casual people. Even though THEY are the ones that are supposed to like it.

Comedy Gold!

Roto13

This would have been such a stupid decision. The only good thing about Kinect coming standard with Xbone is that developers could be 100% sure that everyone playing their Xbone game was going to have a Kinect and could work it into the experience if they wanted. A SKU without a Kinect would have ruined that.

I guess Ill be cancelling my preorder and buying it in the Summer. I dont care for kinect or the 500. I am just a sucker for new shiny next gen things.

Doesn't really make sense considering how integral it's tied into the OS and whatnot. That and they'd piss off the developers who are expecting it to be included.

And the people who hate the Xbone already won't be swayed much by a Kinect-less Xbone, so it's not like removing it would change anything.

BibiMaghoo

I refuse to accept that MS are this stupid a company.

This is something they simply cannot backtrack on. It will destroy the foundations of the console, waste resources, split userbase and fuck over early adopters.

No, this will not happen.

IN&OUT

Banned
If the limit of 3Gigs for indies were indeed in the OS partition, then the OS would have to be reduced to a minimum while playing such indies since it wouldn't have memory for much of it. Doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that that would limit how much the indies can do regarding graphics and stuff because as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the apps in the OS part have limited access to the GPU and CPU resources by design.

Maybe Cboat meant 3Gigs of game size, not Ram allowed.

MaGlock

Maybe Cboat meant 3Gigs of game size, not Ram allowed.

if what he says is true than i believe thats good news. Self publishing start, these memory restrictions have a way of increasing over time, correct me if mistaken but XBLA games used to have a 50 mb restriction or something to that effect and eventually got bigger with time.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
My guess:

Xbox One OS contains an XNA / .Net like framework that gives limited access to the consoles resources. This is why there is a 3GB memory limit, as Indie games are therefore restricted to running in the OS portions of the OS / Game memory split.

Indies will be able to publish to the Windows 8 Store provided they target this limited framework with new dev tools, however full console hardware access is restricted to mainstream publishers / developers.

statham

The indie stuff sounds good to me, did cboat say anything about the kinect-less system being true?

edit: saw the update

gaming_noob

if what he says is true than i believe thats good news. Self publishing start, these memory restrictions have a way of increasing over time, correct me if mistaken but XBLA games used to have a 50 mb restriction or something to that effect and eventually got bigger with time.

It's still a restriction. There are better alternatives out there.

Ishan

Random thought but all praise crazy buttocks on a train sounds waaay funkier than all praise cboat :) .... Hmm strange is all I can say about xbone policies .... Normally a company tries to change things up on one end ... Not 20 gazillions ones .... Unless you have a revolutionary product .... Which I don't believe the xbone is .

Raymo

Restricting developer's freedom is never good news. I would say it's bad news, but possibly not that bad pending more information.

The indie stuff sounds good to me, did cboat say anything about the kinect-less system being true?

He implied it was false. "fckn lool"

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's still a restriction. There are better alternatives out there.

Indeed. It's not like indie games are all just 2D sidescrollers anymore that can run on a mobile phone.

Most indie games releasing right now use the available hardware to the fullest, and a 3GB restriction would be very disappointing if the competition is offering 7gigs of super fast RAM to play with.

SgtCobra

^
Because it is?
Look at the competition and at what they are doing, this looks ridiculous in comparison.

CBOAT droppin dem bommen. Shit, and I thought MS finally followed Ninty's and Sony's lead..

Ishan

Indeed. It's not like indie games are all just 2D sidescrollers anymore that can run on a mobile phone.

Most indie games releasing right now use the available hardware to the fullest, and a 3GB restriction would be very disappointing if the competition is offering 7gigs of super fast RAM to play with.

Hmm I'm not agreeing with the policy and I'm certainly not a game dev but given the difference in graphical quality between high end aaa titles like tlou and indie games I'm sure optimizing the code could def cut down on ram usage significantly .... But eh Im not a game dev and as a programmer not being forced to optimize my ass off is def a plus.

CBoaT be damned, the Kinectless SKU going to happen when Microsoft sees the sales figures six months or so after launch and realises they need to cut the price ASAP.

If this is only in regards to self publishing, then I don't think it's as bad as it seemed, certainly doesn't sound as good as what the PS4 has, but much better than what we thought we'd be getting on the Xbox One.

Nah, it's exactly what we were expecting. The App Store is XBLIG v2, and will probably do worse than aforementioned XBLIG since everyone is well aware it's not worth supporting between the failure of XBLIG, Windows 8 Store and (relatively) Windows Phone.

^
Because it is?
Look at the competition and at what they are doing, this looks ridiculous in comparison.

CBOAT droppin dem bommen. Shit, and I thought MS finally followed Ninty's and Sony's lead..

No, it's not. How is not needing a dev kit, using your own console to debug, and unlike XBLIG self published games now get access to xbox live and their features like achievements ridiculous?

Knuf

DEM CBoaT bombs. o_O

3 GB Memory for XBONE indie games <<< 5 GB Memory for XBONE regular games

3 GB Memory for XBONE indie games <<<< Potentially 7 GB Memory for PS4 indie games

Not only that, but this way on Xbone indie devs are forced to use Win8 RT APIs instead of the XBone ones, relegating them to a something B-tier like the PSMobile mess on Vita.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hmm I'm not agreeing with the policy and I'm certainly not a game dev but given the difference in graphical quality between high end aaa titles like tlou and indie games I'm sure optimizing the code could def cut down on ram usage significantly .... But eh Im not a game dev and as a programmer not being forced to optimize my ass off is def a plus.

"optimize the code" is not something that you just do in a few hours.

More RAM is what developers have been clamoring for for years now, and I think the RAM restrictions are going to hamper indie devs big time. But then again, this is all speculation.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
No, it's not. How is not needing a dev kit, using your own console to debug, and unlike XBLIG self published games now get access to xbox live and their features like achievements ridiculous?

Where does it say Indies have access to XBL and features like Achievements?

Doesn't really make sense considering how integral it's tied into the OS and whatnot. That and they'd piss off the developers who are expecting it to be included.

And the people who hate the Xbone already won't be swayed much by a Kinect-less Xbone, so it's not like removing it would change anything.

We were also told the always online nature of the console was also integral at one time, and then magically it disappeared in an instant.

Also, believing that the removal of the Kinect and a $100 higher price isn't important is crazy. I'm personally not sure if I want to buy the XB1 because of the Kinect requirement. I just don't feel like being forced to plug in that large camera at all times.

I refuse to accept that MS are this stupid a company.

This is something they simply cannot backtrack on. It will destroy the foundations of the console, waste resources, split userbase and fuck over early adopters.

No, this will not happen.

Destroy the foundations of the console? Waste resources? Fuck over early adopters?

How, how, and how?

Because the games will be stuck in a ghetto and will not sell. Nobody will bother with it six months after launch.

3 GB Memory for XBONE indie games <<<< 5 GB Memory for XBONE regular games

3 GB Memory for XBONE indie games <<<< Potentially 7 GB Memory for PS4 indie games

Yeah, because all those indies that don't have publishing deals are sure going to push both machines to their knees with their AAA graphics.

Of course, more is better than less when it comes to memory, but that is about as moot as a point can be considering the target developers.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, because all those indies that don't have publishing deals are sure going to push both machines to their knees with their AAA graphics.

Of course, more is better than less when it comes to memory, but that is about as moot as a point can be considering the target developers.

Have you not played a indie game for the last 5 years? The time where every indie game was a 2D sidescroller is gone.
Plenty of indies out there that boast better and prettier graphics than retail titles, or creative new ideas that not necessarily push the limits on graphical quality, but on scope, scale or mechanics.

SgtCobra

Again, look at the competition and tell me which approach is better.
Also, I'm mostly talking about that 3GB limit which is, yes and here it comes, ridiculous. Nor did I or CBOAT mention anything about what you said (which is something great, no complaints)

Where does it say Indies have access to XBL and features like Achievements?

".INDYianaJONESTHAPOOR wil graci8uos alloowd tpoo publishjthru the Wni8 store geto"

W8 store (and wp8 store too) games can access xbox libe and achievements. No reason to believe that won't be allowed in the xbone store.

Because the games will be stuck in a ghetto and will not sell. Nobody will bother with it six months after launch.

Nobody bother with disc based games six months after launch either, should everyone stop making disc games too?

How much of a ghetto the W8 will be depends on how much emphasis Ms puts on the store itself. Which we don't know yet.

Top Bottom