• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Last Story, Xenoblade already localized for NA

micster

Stumpokapow said:
Was it the case for Disaster, as well? In the case of ASH I only mention it because I personally confirmed it with one of the product testers who worked on the game. Disaster wasn't ESRB rated. If you are or know a product tester who worked on Disaster for US release, I'd love to hear about it.
I definitely remember US testing being in the credits for Disaster.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lopson said:
NTSC is the type of signal displayed by American televisions. Signal gets displayed at 60Hz, in contrast to the PAL (European) signal (clocked at 50Hz). The frequency of the signal limits the maximum frame rate of the game, amongst other things.

Check Wikipedia, man.
Read again, man.

Lopson said:
NTSC is the type of signal displayed by American televisions. Signal gets displayed at 60Hz, in contrast to the PAL (European) signal (clocked at 50Hz). The frequency of the signal limits the maximum frame rate of the game, amongst other things.

Check Wikipedia, man.
Look at what you quoted and what you typed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NichM said:

I think you can agree, though, that there's a difference between the situations.

Catherine:
- Fans asking "Is this game getting localized"
- High profile game from a Japanese publisher
- Responsive and well liked domestic subsidiary
- Fans asking before/around the Japanese release
- Fans asking were one fairly small fan site.
- Domestic subsidiary punts because plans hadn't quite been finalized, final localization ended up being well within standard delay period from Japanese release.

Xenoblade:
- Fans asking "Is this game getting localized"
- Medium profile game from a Japanese publisher
- Notoriously tone-deaf domestic subsidiary with frankly poor localization record
- Fans asking a year after Japanese release
- Fans asking were fans, directly, in one of the largest begging campaigns ever.
- Responds to campaign with "No plans!"

Not that it's impossible of course, I just simply mean that I don't think anyone held it against you guys more than a day or two later, while Nintendo has generated significant animosity.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lopson said:

Check Wikipedia, man.
He was referencing the typo.

NichM

Banned
LiK said:
This is Nintendo, not Atlus. Nintendo has no sense of humor or ability to troll.

It's the same principle, though. When a publisher, large or small, has an announcement and marketing schedule in place, they're not going to ditch it because someone asks really politely "Is this happening?" I'd expect them to have behaved exactly as they did in response to Operation Rainfall whether or not they're actually doing the games in NA.

LiK said:
This is Nintendo, not Atlus. Nintendo has no sense of humor or ability to troll.
To the contrary, listing Monado as a future title and then having nothing to say about the North American version for months is epic trolling.

Aurarian

LevityNYC said:
8/19 in Europe. Modding the Wii takes about 10 minutes....do it.

Yep. I don't even care if they are bringing it over anymore. If this is legit which I doubt, why couldn't they just say "Hey guys, we're bringing it over but we haven't really decided on a release date. We'll keep you posted." instead of "We never say never but fuck y'all"?

Stumpokapow said:
Was it the case for Disaster, as well? In the case of ASH I only mention it because I personally confirmed it with one of the product testers who worked on the game. Disaster wasn't ESRB rated. If you are or know a product tester who worked on Disaster for US release, I'd love to hear about it.

Like all of the EU-only Wii/DS releases, it was sent across and tested in its EU build(s). I'm not a product tester (I'm from the UK!) but I have colleagues on the other side of the pond who have been privvy to that kind of information, and I trust them.

Disaster was definitely tested, but suits thought it was too cheesy and didn't think the quality or the market was there. I find that very sad as Disaster was a delicious mix of Japanese anime/soap opera campy OTTness with this crazy 24-like plot and some fun gameplay. It was by no means earth shattering, but it was fun. The US deserved that game, and the decision not to publish it will always puzzle me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I still prefer this one: (╯‵Д′)╯彡 ┻━┻

Upending tables. Definitely relevant to this subject.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NichM said:
It's the same principle, though. When a publisher, large or small, has an announcement and marketing schedule in place, they're not going to ditch it because someone asks really politely "Is this happening?" I'd expect them to have behaved exactly as they did in response to Operation Rainfall whether or not they're actually doing the games in NA.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo had "Monado" listed on their release list for two years and during those two years the CS rep script on the game was that it was coming out in North America.

The first time anyone said "Nope, no plans" was in response to OpRainfall.

And I think people are operating on the assumption that if there were plans, it would have made sense to continue with their generic "Yes, we plan to release this game, stay tuned for more updates" message as they had said for two years.

Effect

I really wish people wouldn't get their hopes up over this. Sadly I think some are only to have them crushed again. Those at OpRainfall should know better. At least I would hope they would know better. Ugh there's that word again...hope.

Dunbar

If you mod your American Wii to European, can you switch it back? I want to play Xenoblade/Last Story, but I also want to be able to play Dragon Quest X whenever it comes out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dunbar said:
If you mod your American Wii to European, can you switch it back? I want to play Xenoblade/Last Story, but I also want to be able to play Dragon Quest X whenever it comes out.

"Modding" in this case is soft-modding, installing a program to play games region-free. Your Wii will still be US region, and you'll still be able to play US games. There are no negative consequences, and no existing functionality is altered in any way.

Aeana

Dunbar said:
You don't "mod it to European." You mod it to boot games from any region.

Give money to NoE for their troubles. Talk the talk, walk the walk like me and others are doing. Prove NoA wrong, prove JRPGs, at least the good ones, should be localized and be profitable.

Dunbar

Stumpokapow said:
"Modding" in this case is soft-modding, installing a program to play games region-free. Your Wii will still be US region, and you'll still be able to play US games. There are no negative consequences, and no existing functionality is altered in any way.
OK, so you can still install the Nintendo system updates and stuff worry-free?

scitek

VGChampion said:
It would be funny if NoA was hoping to come out with a big announcement and then this operation comes about that spoils their "surprise" plans. They still want to keep it a surprise so they deny the games are coming out which ends up sending lots of fans hatred towards them.

Or they were planning on releasing it as a surprise, but then they saw Operation Rainfall and said no to keep the surprise. But then when people started hating on them, they canceled its release.

Aeana

Dunbar said:
OK, so you can still install the Nintendo system updates and stuff worry-free?
Actual system updates (not the updates included on games, usually) will delete the mod, but you would be able to install it again afterward.
Fortunately, Nintendo has pretty much stopped updating the Wii. I think 4.3 was the last one.

Lance Bone Path said:
To the contrary, listing Monado as a future title and then having nothing to say about the North American version for months is epic trolling.

Does listing Line Attack Heroes as a retail title months after it was cancelled in that format count as trolling as well, or just sheer ineptitude?

LiK

Father_Brain said:
Does listing Line Attack Heroes as a retail title months after it was cancelled in that format count as trolling as well, or just sheer ineptitude?
The latter

Dunbar

Aeana said:
Actual system updates (not the updates included on games, usually) will delete the mod, but you would be able to install it again afterward.
Fortunately, Nintendo has pretty much stopped updating the Wii. I think 4.3 was the last one.
Cool. I just watched that 14 minute "Field Map Exploration" video on Youtube and I'm sold. I just need to find the best place to pre-order. I assume amazon.co.uk or game.co.uk? I don't need the bundle with the red classic controller, as long as my regular USA classic controller will work.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dunbar said:
Cool. I just watched that 14 minute "Field Map Exploration" video on Youtube and I'm sold. I just need to find the best place to pre-order. I assume amazon.co.uk or game.co.uk? I don't need the bundle with the red classic controller, as long as my regular USA classic controller will work.
Amazon doesn't ship games to North America. Game only has the bundle up right now as far as I know, so I think Zavvi(/TheHut?) is your best bet now. But apparently their shipping and customer support are both terrible.

snesfreak

Banned
I'm gonna keep believing, because I'm so used to being disappointed by everything in my life that it doesn't even effect me anymore.
Keep hope alive!

Seik

Banned
I have so much DOUBTS on this rumor, yet it sounds quite logical. I'd like to call it BS, but all the 'hope' inside me forces me to believe (just a bit) of it.

If we have absolutely no news from Nintendo, worst case scenario:
I will wait until it comes out in Europe, I'll wait one week, then lose patience and import it. I'll play it on Dolphin or I'll mod my Wii so it can play these darn unreachable games.

Shiggy

Stumpokapow said:
It's also worth noting that Nintendo had "Monado" listed on their release list for two years and during those two years the CS rep script on the game was that it was coming out in North America.

It was removed in the last supplementary information sheet.

I still believe that their source just meant to be neat and told them his limited information of the entire story...he may just not have known that NoA tests European-only games.

Effect

Shiggy said:
It was removed in the last supplementary information sheet.

I still believe that their source just meant to be neat and told them his limited information of the entire story...he may just not have known that NoA tests European-only games.

Has this gotten back to the OpRain people yet?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there any easy way to play imports on a US system, by the way? I never really looked into, but I wouldn't mind giving my money to other companies besides Nintendo of America.

mollipen

Stumpokapow said:

What was the thread on here that had the explanation for how to do the soft mod? I think I've decided to do it, if for no other reason than to get the Japanese version of Rhythm Heaven over the US one.

creid

hosannainexcelsis said:
I still have no idea why, in this age of doubtful localizations, companies would lie to their fans about things like this if they want to keep their goodwill. You could have just said "No comment" if you really had a good reason to delay the announcement.
I think in a PR person's mind, "no plans" = "no comment."
Effect said:
Has this gotten back to the OpRain people yet?
It's posted all over their facebook page. I assume they've read it.

evangd007

cj_iwakura said:
The theory that NoA didn't respond well to let the Operation act as free marketing does make sense.

Operation Rainfall is actually NoA's viral advertising for Xenoblade and The Last Story.

That's the only way any of this makes sense.

Top Bottom