• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Last Story, Xenoblade already localized for NA

Fou-Lu

gatotsu911 said:
Which good obscure JRPGs have you already played? And what systems do you have?

I have PS3, 360, PC, DS, PSP, PS2, PSX, Wii, SNES, NES, GBA, GBC, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, N64, Dreamcast and a Saturn coming in the mail.

I've played almost any megaten game you can think of, although I doubt they count as obscure anymore. Basically I've mostly played mainstream RPGs, so I'd like to hear some not so mainstream ones.

EDIT: Added a few consoles I forgot, :p

Ichor said:
I have PS3, 360, PC, DS, PSP, PS2, PSX, Wii, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast and a Saturn coming in the mail.

I've played almost any megaten game you can think of, although I doubt they count as obscure anymore. Basically I've mostly played mainstream RPGs, so I'd like to hear some not so mainstream ones.
If you're looking for a recent release, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for PSP is excellent. My number one recommendation for RPG fans.

Fou-Lu

I've actually been trying to play Legend of Heroes, but I'm having a hard time getting into it... I'm only in the second city, does it get more enjoyable?

Ichor said:
I've actually been trying to play Legend of Heroes, but I'm having a hard time getting into it... I'm only in the second city, does it get more enjoyable?
What exactly are you having issues with?

The story is definitely a slow burn, but it's intentionally done. It makes the payoff later so much more satisfying.

The beginning is there to set up not only the latter half of the first game, but also the next game in the series. It's important to really get a feel for the world and the characters.

Fou-Lu

Well the story has been a little slow, but I'm used to that in RPGs. It's the battle system, Shining Force 2 is my favorite game of all time and it seems like the battle system in LoH should sorta feel like that. Instead it feels like the movement around the battlefield is tacked on and I'm just playing Dragon Quest.

Gravijah

Kandinsky said:
Already set up my mind on importing this, NoA can go to hell.

Still need to mod my wii tho, scary.

Modding your Wii is easy and the chances of anything going wrong is miniscule.

Ichor said:
Well the story has been a little slow, but I'm used to that in RPGs. It's the battle system, Shining Force 2 is my favorite game of all time and it seems like the battle system in LoH should sorta feel like that. Instead it feels like the movement around the battlefield is tacked on and I'm just playing Dragon Quest.
Are you making use of your Orbments and Crafts/S-Breaks?

Personally, I feel like the battle system has a lot of strategic elements with the turn bonuses and the use of turn order altering skills. Plus, the Orbment system lets characters have a nice degree of flexibility while still remaining unique with their individual slot set-ups and Craft lists.

I will say that the further you play into the game, and the more characters you come across, the more your battle options will increase.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Kandinsky said:

I'm the most technically stupid and inept poster on GAF and I was able to get it to work.

@Ichor: Maybe check out Riviera: The Promised Land for GBA/PSP. It's one of the most unique RPGs I've ever played, and I remember having a blast with it back in the day. It's not terribly long, but it's oozing with replay value. The other games in the Dept. Heaven series (Yggdra Union, an above-average Fire Emblem clone, and Knights in the Nightmare, a... I don't even know what) are worth checking out as well. Or, hell, anything by Sting.

If you haven't played the Baten Kaitos games yet, drop what you're doing and play them NOW.

Any Mario RPG is good, good stuff, but I'd say Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the best of them all. While I'm thinking of the GameCube, there's Tales of Symphonia too, if you somehow haven't played that.

And... those are the biggest must-play JRPGs that aren't published by Square Enix or part of the Shin Megami Tensei metaseries that I can think of off the top of my head. I'll probably think of more later.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
NintendNO.gif

Ichor said:
I have PS3, 360, PC, DS, PSP, PS2, PSX, Wii, SNES, NES, GBA, GBC, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, N64, Dreamcast and a Saturn coming in the mail.

EDIT: Added a few consoles I forgot, :p

Little King Story for the Wii.

Yeah total bullshit, even if it turns out to be true. Why would NOA do this and tell us specifically that there's no plans to localize? It's not like they're holding back images on a new Zelda game... the fucking info is out on these games.

This just smells like the denial and bargaining stages of grief combined into one. I'm importing anyways. Fuck NOA.

I just got this from GameFAQS:

From wayward199 on IGN:

"There is a difference between an anonymous source and a source who wishes to remain anonymous. We were able to verify the identity of our source. We were able to double check the information regarding who the source purported to be. It checked out. We are not disclosing the source's identity at the source's request."

I hope we hear something more about this next week.

Emitan

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just got this from GameFAQS:

I hope we hear something more about this next week.
There's not a difference between an anonymous source and a source who wants to remain anonymous if the person reporting isn't trustworthy. I'm not saying the Operation Rainfall guys are liars, but I have no reason to put trust in them either.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Guys, you really shouldn't do this to yourselves. It isn't healthy.
I preordered my import for around $52 shipped.

daegan

NichM said:
It's the same principle, though. When a publisher, large or small, has an announcement and marketing schedule in place, they're not going to ditch it because someone asks really politely "Is this happening?" I'd expect them to have behaved exactly as they did in response to Operation Rainfall whether or not they're actually doing the games in NA.

This exactly. It's not like Nintendo to announce non-tentpole games far in advance. Right now they want you buying a 3DS, Zelda and Star Fox; later this year they want you to buy Zelda Skyward Sword. Next year you'll be expected to pony up for Xenoblade and TLS if at all.

Billychu said:
There's not a difference between an anonymous source and a source who wants to remain anonymous if the person reporting isn't trustworthy.

I think they mean that they checked out their anonymous source's background info before they dare to pass on that knowledge.

P90

MikeE21286 said:
They've already lost money on the localization though if they don't release it.

I guess they're saying the cost of distributing it would be more than what they could receive back? That seems unlikely if they would just run a few small print runs IMO.

They could put it up on Wiiware and have absolutely minimal cost of distributing. I don't see how they could not make a healthy profit on it or at least recoup their already spent localization. Heck, they would "rake in the dough", figuring the Operation. If someone starts blathering about the yen:dollar ratio, they are full of fanciful fictitious feline farts. If Nintendo was so shackled, they wouldn't market any games in the US and Canada.

Vamphuntr

Well, NoA should soon announce it's NA lineup for september-october so this will be settled once and for all.

What do they have to release during these four months for the Wii? Fortune Street, Zelda SS, Kirby, Rhythm Heaven?

Vamphuntr said:
Well, NoA should soon announce it's NA lineup for september-october so this will be settled once and for all.

What do they have to release during these four months or the Wii? Fortune Street, Zelda SS, Kirby, Rhythm Heaven?
Rhythm Heaven and Fortune Street maybe.

I don't think we'll be seeing Kirby or Skyward Sword for a while.

Valnen

Gravijah said:
Modding your Wii is easy and the chances of anything going wrong is miniscule.
The fact that a chance even exists is what prevents me from doing it. Even if the chance is like 0.1%.

Add that to the fact that there are so many guides with different methods...I just can't be bothered to research to find the best method.

Vamphuntr said:
Pretty sure Zelda was confirmed for this holiday...
I just have a feeling it's gonna be delayed. And in a weird way I hope it is, I want NoA to realize the mistake of pinning a entire season's fate on one game.

NichM said:
It's the same principle, though.

I guess you could say that it's the same principle in the sense that, like, a terrible who gets called into his manager's office on legitimate cause and a good employee who gets called in on trumped-up charges will both defend themselves on the same principle of "I want to keep my job."

Also, the EU situation complicates matters significantly here. If we were waiting to hear any word on the title it'd certainly make sense to keep quiet until the pre-chosen announcement date even after a fan campaign, but I cannot think of a single earthly reason that could justify the choice to keep waiting months after an English-language announcement for other territories, past the point where customers are already placing import orders to try to get around the local branch's presumed incompetence.

Servizio said:
It always struck me as terribly short sighted of Nintendo to be so stingy with their less mainstream titles.

It is outrageously short-sighted.

Relix said:
You'd run an amazing business

For a platform-holder, niche titles that technically "lose money" individually are an investment in the present (by keeping fans happy and building up their software library) and the future (by funding the franchises and studios that might produce tomorrow's hits.) This is an area that Nintendo used to be pretty good at, but has gotten significantly worse at in the last generation (in a way that has almost unquestionably contributed to their sagging performance.)

Compare here to Sony, who probably aren't losing money overall on their first-party software despite having a near-100% localization rate (between their own direct releases and handing titles out to third-parties to localize) and producing a large quantity of boutique and niche titles.

Phenomic

Gunloc said:
I just have a feeling it's gonna be delayed.

Don't quote on this but I thought Miyamoto it was finished at E3. Just testing stuff at this point. I doubt it would get delayed unless something major happened.

P90 said:
They could put it up on Wiiware and have absolutely minimal cost of distributing. I don't see how they could not make a healthy profit on it or at least recoup their already spent localization. Heck, they would "rake in the dough", figuring the Operation. If someone starts blathering about the yen:dollar ratio, they are full of fanciful fictitious feline farts. If Nintendo was so shackled, they wouldn't market any games in the US and Canada.

They won't put Xenoblade (or The Last Story or pretty much any other retail game) on WiiWare for a number of reasons.

Isn't the size limit for WiiWare games something insane like 50MB? If I recall, it's the reason Super Meat Boy - which was originally planned to be released on the Wii first - ended up getting scrapped for the platform. I don't know, maybe I'm just hallucinating again.

There are a number of ways Nintendo could go about releasing the game, all of which have been discussed at length. I still think the best way would just be to release it like all of their other first-party titles. It's not like there's a lack of available retail shelf space for Wii games at the moment.

Add that to the fact that there are so many guides with different methods...I just can't be bothered to research to find the best method.
I'm almost as skeptical as you... I have VC games that I'm terrified of losing, and I don't want to crack open the Wii's firmware. But I want to play this game, and I've been reassured by enough people that the risk is extremely small. I'm going to use this guide for GAFers, which is clear and isn't condescending or filled with jargon: http://gwht.wikidot.com/

Gravijah

Valnen said:
The fact that a chance even exists is what prevents me from doing it. Even if the chance is like 0.1%.

Every time you get in your car, there's a chance you'll die.

'Sides, you can backup everything and if it bricks, you can restore it.

gerg

charlequin said:
For a platform-holder, niche titles that technically "lose money" individually are an investment in the present (by keeping fans happy and building up their software library) and the future (by funding the franchises and studios that might produce tomorrow's hits.) This is an area that Nintendo used to be pretty good at, but has gotten significantly worse at in the last generation (in a way that has almost unquestionably contributed to their sagging performance.)

How has their sagging performance been affected by not localising Xenoblade in a timely manner?

I'm not sure I understand how that's true, unless you mean "contributed" as in "contributed to a much smaller degree in comparison to much larger and more significant matters". (Also, which sagging performance are we talking about?)

Emitan

Cow Mengde said:
I think they mean that they checked out their anonymous source's background info before they dare to pass on that knowledge.
I meant that we don't know if the Op Rainfall dudes are in any sort of position to know if someone was being legit and I don't have enough trust to just believe them when they say it's a real source.

Emotions

Kandinsky said:

It's pretty easy to do Kandinsky... no need to be afraid. I did it once i got my Pal imports couple of months ago.

gerg said:
How has their sagging performance been affected by not localising Xenoblade in a timely manner?

US was a reliable stronghold for the Wii even as EU and JP sales were slipping, but rather than shore that up with frequent software releases, promotions, and whatever else they could cook up, NoA let software for the system dry up even as entirely releasable first-party titles were getting EU-only releases. That isn't about XBC specifically, but rather about NoA's ongoing inability to actually run their business of which XBC is simply the latest example.

Top Bottom