• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Marvel vs Capcom Infinite roster leaked

Reszo

Well I'm excited for Jedah, about time they added someone different from Darkstalkers.

However the list is underwhelming

shaowebb

Well I'm excited for Jedah, about time they added someone different from Darkstalkers.
Agreed. Jedah, Huitzil/Phobos, or Q. Bee were my top hopefuls. Phobos at the top but hey Jedah is a damned fine guy if he's in. So glad its not just Morri/Licia again. Wish Hsien Ko had been done justice in MVC3. Hopefully Jedah fairs better.
However the list is underwhelming

Also Agreed. Most of it is "thats alright I guess" tier additions, but no real name draws that people genuinely get excited for.

R0ckman

This roster is so damn bad in comparison to UMvC3 and with the cherry on top terrible artistic direction; I'm MORE than happy to stick with the former title, MORE than happy. I thank them for releasing Ultimate on PS4.

Gren

The only saving grace for this default roster would be if they finally buffed the mainstays that have long been of middling effectiveness (Ryu, Chun) into being rather good on point. Give Ryu diagonal/horizontal air-fireballs and Ken's glitched air Tatsu, give Chun lows cancelled into unpunishable Serentsu again; whatever it takes.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I remember Nemesis brought the hype when this was in his trailer

dbow1.gif

The problem isn't that Nemesis is in the game, is that Nemesis made it and Wesker didn't.

i think the idea is that no one would buy nemesis as dlc

but everyone would buy wesker as dlc

Well, there is that, but I also think some of SFV's launch roster thought process bled into this game's a bit, at least for the Capcom side. Namely, gameplay variety taking precedence over popularity.

For SFV it led them to decide "No shotos besides Ryu and Ken" despite Sagat/Akuma/Sakura having tons of fans. For this game, we get Nemesis over Wesker because I'm guessing they looked at the latter and said "We already have Strider (and to a lesser extent Dante) for a teleporter."

Csr

People want freaking Akuma srsly? Only reason he was in MvC3 was because he was the first Crossover character in fighting games. And prolly started the idea of Xmen vs SF.

If hes ever returning they should bring him in his Oni form , they would have much more room to play around and make him really different.

I don't know what you are talking about. He is ridiculously popular that is why he is included in games, he is in tekken for a reason.

I didn't really like his mvc3 iteration though, felt boring to play and watch unless you were watching a jwong comeback.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
There's no question Capcom has approached this game with a budget mentality. The only reason they would launch with Nemesis, Arthur, Firebrand, and Spencer in the initial lineup is to recycle more from the past game (and that three of those would be minimal sellers as DLC).

Platy

There's no question Capcom has approached this game with a budget mentality. The only reason they would launch with Nemesis, Arthur, Firebrand, and Spencer in the initial lineup is to recycle more from the past game (and that three of those would be minimal sellers as DLC).

Recicle more than ! Batsu, Zero, Haggar, Iron Fist, Ammy, Phoenix, Viewtfull Joe, Akuma, Mysterio with Magneto moveset

FluxWaveZ

2 characters per team though.

Also not to single you out but were people actually happy with how Phoenix Wright turned out in UMvC3? I love PW but i'd rahter they don't bother if the end result will be like that again.

Even in UMvC3, Phoenix Wright is an incredible character. Balance issues aside, he is intricately designed to evoke the feeling of Ace Attorney. Three distinct modes which perfectly convey the "Investigation," "Courtroom," and "Turnabout" sequences of the games, in a fighting game. A very unique and fun character, and that's what fighting games need more of. Not the usual straightforward stuff.

All that would be needed would be to refine him and make him actually competitive. Properly tune the "starts weak with a steep hill to climb, becomes a force of nature once he collects everything he needs."

Then, again, there's the fact that Ace Attorney is one of Capcom's only relevant series that is still getting new games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbv5AJDh9o8

Dremark

Banned
tbh I don't even care about lack of xmen. Though I feel like magneto, wolverine, and maybe storm should have been obligatory.

It really feels weird without them.

That is quite possibly the dumbest rumor I've ever heard. Of all of the glorious Capcom IP they decide to reboot they choose that. If that happens I hope Capcom goes out of business.

They're fun games with old school followings and there are indie games based off the series doing well. I'm not sure why giving customers what they want is such a dumb strategy if they have good ideas for it.

Capcom should bring back Onimusha, Darkstalkers, Power Stone, Rival Schools, and a few others before Ghost N Goblins. No hate, it's just extremely low on the totem pole. It's getting hate because Ghost N Goblins got 2 slots when everybody pretty much thinks their slots could be used better.

Which of those series were actually popular at some point? Onimusha?

Honestly I think the reason you're so opposed to this is because it's not a series you like rather than it actually being a bad business decision. I can see an argument for Onimusha, the rest never seemed to do that well and Capcom is having a hard enough time keeping SF and Marvel going, C list fighters like Darkstalkers and Rival Schools don't have much of a chance in today's market despite my liking RS quite a bit.

The last remaining Capcom character has to be Scrooge McDuck, right? Because I would totally be up for Scrooge in this game.

Scrooge is a Marvel character now.

Dremark

Banned
There were 4 unlockable characters. Akuma, Sentinel, and I forget who the other 2 were but I think if you beat arcade mode like twice you basically unlocked them all. I miss unlocking characters, but it's more nostalgia for the days before DLC, not likely to be a thing anymore. Don't miss it enough that I would rather have that then years of support through DLC though

You can unlock Jill and Shuma Gorath in MvC3
by buying DLC
. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of characters in Infinite we'll be able to unlock too.

No way. I know people were upset with UMVC3.

It was released too quickly for most, but it had a lot of juice in it's upgrades.

I remember MVC3 being amazing and I was decently happy with UMVC3 as well. I remember the only character not really caring about was Firebrand, since he easily could've been replaced for a female character. Especially considering he's the reason Nina isn't in the game.

They could have easily replaced any character in the game with a female character though.

Capcom is tearing us apart. This roster has us turning against each other. The truth is, as much as I love both Arthur and Firebrand, they aren't super hype because we have seen them before.

Yeah, I like both characters but honestly I'd have been fine with paying for them as DLC and getting a new character or 2 on the starting roster.

i asked

never expected

black panther & ms marvel i legit expected though

Is Ms. Marvel really that popular? Black Panther I thought was a likely choice (Not definite but about as likely as Dr. Strange or Daredevil) but Marvel seemed unlikely or even a long shot. Maybe she's a lot more popular than I realize though. Maybe Black Panther is more popular than I realize too, he was pretty cool in Civil War and the couple of appearances I've seen in comics.

Dremark

Banned
Even in UMvC3, Phoenix Wright is an incredible character. Balance issues aside, he is intricately designed to evoke the feeling of Ace Attorney. Three distinct modes which perfectly convey the "Investigation," "Courtroom," and "Turnabout" sequences of the games, in a fighting game. A very unique and fun character, and that's what fighting games need more of. Not the usual straightforward stuff.

All that would be needed would be to refine him and make him actually competitive. Properly tune the "starts weak with a steep hill to climb, becomes a force of nature once he collects everything he needs."

Then, again, there's the fact that Ace Attorney is one of Capcom's only relevant series that is still getting new games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbv5AJDh9o8

I guess it really depends on what sort of criteria you're looking at. He represented PW well but he didn't fit into the game very well, although the knee jerk nerf right off the bat probably didn't help. I'm not opposed to him appearing but I'd want him to get a significant rework or a lot least a decent return to get him to fit the game better if he was coming back.

Jawmuncher

You can unlock Jill and Shuma Gorath in MvC3
by buying DLC
. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of characters in Infinite we'll be able to unlock too.

It was released too quickly for most, but it had a lot of juice in it's upgrades.

They could have easily replaced any character in the game with a female character though.

Yeah, I like both characters but honestly I'd have been fine with paying for them as DLC and getting a new character or 2 on the starting roster.

Is Ms. Marvel really that popular? Black Panther I thought was a likely choice (Not definite but about as likely as Dr. Strange or Daredevil) but Marvel seemed unlikely or even a long shot. Maybe she's a lot more popular than I realize though. Maybe Black Panther is more popular than I realize too, he was pretty cool in Civil War and the couple of appearances I've seen in comics.

That is true. But off the top of my head firebrand was kind of the sticking out character who wasn't in any polling and such before hand.

Spade

There's really no reason to think the leak isn't legitimate considering the track record of the source.

Again, I wish it wasn't though.
This post should just be added to the top of the OP at this point lol. Everybody wants it to be debunked but remembers how reliable to source(s) are.

Did Jill and/Shuma sell even moderately well as DLC for MvC3? This is probably (at least partially) why they are keeping all the fan favorites behind a pay wall and giving us a lackluster launch roster. They tried it the other way around last time and nobody shelled out for the extra characters, they aren't gonna make that same "mistake" twice

Ms. Marvel is the most popular new Marvel character for a new generation of readers.

DR2K

Banned
Maybe they leaked this as a fake roster on purpose so the real roster would be more hype.

That would be very interesting if they circulated a fake roster list knowing everyone was going to hate it then reveal the real list with characters everyone loves.

Capcom isn't that interesting though, neither is Marvel with their garbage X-Men ban.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Jedah is one of the only characters in that roster i'm seeing people are OK with it.

Watch him being trash tier at launch.

nachum00

That is quite possibly the dumbest rumor I've ever heard. Of all of the glorious Capcom IP they decide to reboot they choose that. If that happens I hope Capcom goes out of business.
The chose to reboot one of their best franchises is what you meant to say.

Too bad the concept of the reboot sounds absolutely stupid.

opricnik

Banned
Capcom probably don't want to catch more shit for their female characters. Morrigan is borderline unless she gets her other outfits through DLC Skins.

capcom is lazy and will sell her dlc. dont think or put a lot of thoughts to it.

they cut bunch of umvc3 veterans cause they would have to make a few new moves or new theme songs for them.

lol

capcom is lazy and will sell her dlc. dont think or put a lot of thoughts to it.

they cut bunch of umvc3 veterans cause they would have to make a few new moves or new theme songs for them.

lol

Which is weird because one of the problems people have with SFV DLC characters is they are changing too much and not re-using old characters or moves. Ibuki SFV is a completely different character than 3s or 4 Ibuki. I like the DLC support for SFV btw haven't had a problem with their output compared to other games they are getting a good amount of content out.

Chavelo

At this point, this game better the deepest and hypest fighting game around in terms of gameplay once it comes out for me to even consider it.

Going off the info released a month ago, it's looking promising but going off the wacky updates done to SFV over the last year, man...

Top Bottom