• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Matt-IGN "Nintendo may announce a new Kid Icarus for Wii (at GC 2006)"

PolyGone

Banned
hey guys check this out:

Play Magazine July 2003 said:
Play: When the industry trends change, Nintendo doesn't conform. They innovate, and you are usually the innovator. I was really surprised when I heard about The Sims. 'Cause I thought you were going to come and say, maybe, another Kid Icarus, and take another legendary brand and shock the world. Do we still have something like that to look forward to? Is Nintendo going to start shying away from the platform game?

Miyamoto: Ah, at last, Kid Icarus finally appears in an interview this year at E3 (laughs).

Apparently being asked a lot about Kid Icarus, just as he was getting asked a lot about Metroid during the N64 years. And now we have Metroid. Could history be repeating itself? I say.... yes. Definitely, yes. This was in 2003, if they started development even the year after that would mean Kid Icarus has been in the works for 2 years already, going on 3.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There isn't anything wrong with the man.

"Assamassina"? C'mon, ya'll just the same people that say M$, aint ya.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
John Harker said:
There isn't anything wrong with the man.

"Assamassina"? C'mon, ya'll just the same people that say M$, aint ya.

Matt's a pretty cool guy, if you ask me. I don't get the hate.

I sure hope he's right too. This would be ****ing awesome.

PolyGone said:
and generic goatee.

and generic generics

222046944_dd2ab92e23.jpg

:lol Awesome, Trin.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
PolyGone said:
Apparently being asked a lot about Kid Icarus, just as he was getting asked a lot about Metroid during the N64 years. And now we have Metroid. Could history be repeating itself? I say.... yes. Definitely, yes. This was in 2003, if they started development even the year after that would mean Kid Icarus has been in the works for 2 years already, going on 3.

Nintendo didn't develop it at all. Capcom did. It's just going to be Dead Phoenix.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BrandNew said:
:lol Awesome, Trin.

Haha, thought you'd appreciate that. Was waiting for someone to say something. :p

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
PolyGone said:
I never said Nintendo was the one developing it, now did I? :D

But you said "This was in 2003, if they started development even the year after that would mean Kid Icarus has been in the works for 2 years already, going on 3."

It wasn't developed as Kid Ikarus though. They're taking a canned game and slapping Kid Icarus on it.

PolyGone

Banned
ManaByte said:
But you said "This was in 2003, if they started development even the year after that would mean Kid Icarus has been in the works for 2 years already, going on 3."

It wasn't developed as Kid Ikarus though. They're taking a canned game and slapping Kid Icarus on it.

Yeah but it was around that time that Dead Phoenix was announced, and then shortly after that we never heard or saw anything of it again. What I'm saying is Nintendo saw Dead Phoenix, told Capcom why do Dino Planet when it could be Starfox Adventures, only replace Dino Planet with Dead Phoenix and StarFox Adventures with Kid Icarus. I hope I'm making myself clear here.

koam

Zerodoppler said:
Yes.

But seriously, I think mini-budget sequels to NES classics could be a very neat addition to the virtual console.

We'll get those.. and real 3d games too.

thetrin

Zerodoppler said:
Yes.

But seriously, I think mini-budget sequels to NES classics could be a very neat addition to the virtual console.

As cool as that would be, I would rather they either do a full blown game for the Wii, or a pseudo 2D sequel for DS.

thetrin

PolyGone said:
yes to the first but HELL NO to the other two. what were you thinking?

I am in total agreement.

PolyGone

Banned
How much does anyone want to bet that Nintendo will release a new Ballon Fight, 8 Player via online and in 3d for the virtual console?

any takers?

nubbe

The Super Smash design is awesome already... Why change it? >_>

Kid Icarus play style should be like GoW...

I can see the title already... Kid Icarus: Armageddon

thetrin

nubbe said:
The Super Smash design is awesome already... Why change it? >_>

Kid Icarus play style should be like GoW...

I can see the title already... Kid Icarus: Armageddon

Oh Jesus god, please no.

suaveric

The internet fanboys will go nuts if/when the game is announced, but I can't imagine the market is very large for this game. Was this game half as popular as the old Metroid games? There was a reason they stopped making sequels after number 2, right?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I love the way Pit looks in SSBB. An excellent evolution a la Link.

The world needs more platformers so I hope this is true.

Don't pass out or anything. This is really JUST a rumor at this point and we have no reason to believe it's true. But that said, one of the things floating around GC 2006 right now is that Matt Casamassina is apparently gay.

Again, a rumor. R-U-M-O-R. And it's more likely to be false than not, which is why I'm merely posting it to the boards right now.

Say it with me: Rumor.

Good. Now that we have that out of the way, sure would be pretty cool if it could, by some chance, turn out to be true.

Larry

thetrin

Did everyone forget it's called Kid Icarus, and not Bald Buff Space Marine Icarus?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheTrin said:
Did everyone forget it's called Kid Icarus, and not Bald Buff Space Marine Icarus?

Did I hear someone say "photoshop"?

WHY, YES, KEV, YOU DID.

normal_gow.jpg

BWAH HAHAHAHA

Oblivion

Also, I met Matt and E3 and he was a pretty cool guy. The hate is sorta unjustified imo.

PolyGone

Banned
suaveric said:
The internet fanboys will go nuts if/when the game is announced, but I can't imagine the market is very large for this game. Was this game half as popular as the old Metroid games? There was a reason they stopped making sequels after number 2, right?

you do realize it's been almost 20 years since the original was made right? There's going to be a whole lot of changes made to it gameplay wise, and I think the Nintendo market is ready for this kind of character/setting to round out the other fantasy/sci-fi adventures.

SonicMegaDrive said:
What type of game do you think a new Kid Icarus would be? A 3rd person Adventure game?

I'm pretty skeptical that this will actually materialize, but...

if a new Kid Icarus were to be announced, I was thinking more along the lines of a 3rd person 3D action game. This type of game is really popular right now (Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), but Nintendo doesn't really have any entries of its own in the genre. I think Kid Icarus could be fit into this genre pretty well--the original had levels/stages, not a continuous world, after all--and it would fill a gap in Nintendo's roster ... -though the Greek mythology theme might run a little TOO close to God of War's.

Nintendo already has Metroid and Zelda for exploration-heavy series, so I'd prefer to see something different with a Kid Icarus game.

edit: And, yes, TheTrin's avatar is fantastic.

Oblivion

Greenpanda said:

if a new Kid Icarus were to be announced, I was thinking more along the lines of a 3rd person 3D action game. This type of game is really popular right now (Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), but Nintendo doesn't really have any entries of its own in the genre. I think Kid Icarus could be fit into this genre pretty well--the original had levels/stages, not a continuous world, after all--and it would fill a gap in Nintendo's roster ... -though the Greek mythology theme might run a little TOO close to God of War's.

Nintendo already has Metroid and Zelda for exploration-heavy series, so I'd prefer to see something different with a Kid Icarus game.

How bout a 3D platformer instead?

Greenpanda said:

if a new Kid Icarus were to be announced, I was thinking more along the lines of a 3rd person 3D action game. This type of game is really popular right now (Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), but Nintendo doesn't really have any entries of its own in the genre.

You're quite right. One of the things the PS2 library completely has over any other system is its wealth of 3D action titles. I suppose you could say Zelda has a lot of good action gameplay, but that's not really the main draw of that series. Kid Icarus would fill a very large void in Nintendo's lineup, methinks.

And for the record, I think a new Kid Icarus would do VERY well, sales-wise. There's a lot of people out there who would remember the name, and not just Nintendo-heads.

Someone explain this to me.

Dead Phoenix had a dark, realistic art style.
Both Kid Icarus games had cute, anime-style art with ridiculous enemies like the Eggplant Wizard.

Dead Phoenix was an aerial shooter.
Both Kid Icarus games were platformers.

So, why the f*** do people keep connecting the two?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BrandNew said:
But it's so obvious it's going to happen. Maybe not this week, but sometime in the Wii's lifetime. They've hinted at it last year, he's in Brawl now, and it's going to be a virtual console game...smells like a perfect opportunity to release a new game for the series with these opportunities.

... just like the new Ice Climbers game and the N64 Metroid game, right?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Father_Brain said:
Someone explain this to me.

Dead Phoenix had a dark, realistic art style.
Both Kid Icarus games had cute, anime-style art with ridiculous enemies like the Eggplant Wizard.

Zelda had cute, anime-style art with ridiculous enemies on the NES

Top Bottom