• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Matt-IGN "Nintendo may announce a new Kid Icarus for Wii (at GC 2006)"

PolyGone

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Someone explain this to me.

Dead Phoenix had a dark, realistic art style.
Both Kid Icarus games had cute, anime-style art with ridiculous enemies like the Eggplant Wizard.

Dead Phoenix was an aerial shooter.
Both Kid Icarus games were platformers.

So, why the f*** do people keep connecting the two?

If you believe that Dead Phoenix is being retooled, stylistic differences don't really matter. Game companies have completely redone the graphics for various games when they've been moved from one platform to another, so its easy to believe something similar in this case. Kid Icarus was largely a platformer, but the last level was a horizontal shooter style level. Its been so long since the original, they could change the game into something completely different and so long as they maintain the style and characters it will be accepted as Kid Icarus. There's been no excuse and not a peep out of Capcom concerning the cancellation of Dead Phoenix, which was part of the Capcom 5 intended to be exclusively released on the cube. etc etc

Greenpanda said:
though the Greek mythology theme might run a little TOO close to God of War's.

Not Nintendo´s problem, that Sony once again copied something from them ^^

Nintendo already has Metroid and Zelda for exploration-heavy series, so I'd prefer to see something different with a Kid Icarus game.

I love videogames with exploration.
That´s why Zelda, Metroid and the 3D-Marios were so fun.
A Kid Ikarus-game could give exploration together with a new gameplay-style, flying and fighting enemies. Ah, i so want a Kid Ikarus-game, where you can fly freely in the sky, just flying witout fighting or anything, with a real feeling of flying. That´s really something i miss until now...no game ever had a real feeling of flying. From videos, WiiAirplane looks to express that feeling greatly, but i dont necessarily want to control a plane...a nice boy with angel-wings would be much cooler ^^
Flying up the sky, the looking for any suspicious happenings, and then tossing into the deep...ah, i want that game.

I don't get the Cassamassina haters. The dude usually knows what's up, and even though he insisted this is just a rumor, I wouldn't be surprised now to see a new KI announced.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Greenpanda said:
I'm pretty skeptical that this will actually materialize, but...

if a new Kid Icarus were to be announced, I was thinking more along the lines of a 3rd person 3D action game. This type of game is really popular right now (Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), but Nintendo doesn't really have any entries of its own in the genre. I think Kid Icarus could be fit into this genre pretty well--the original had levels/stages, not a continuous world, after all--and it would fill a gap in Nintendo's roster ... -though the Greek mythology theme might run a little TOO close to God of War's.

Nintendo already has Metroid and Zelda for exploration-heavy series, so I'd prefer to see something different with a Kid Icarus game.

Hmm correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Project HAMMER supposed to be Nintendo's entry into this genre? (Not that there's a lot of people hyped about that game)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think that if this rumour comes true GAF should apologise to MATT cause he's clearly right about stuff.

If it's not true, then he should be mocked.

Sounds like a fair deal IMO

Xrenity said:
Matt's laughing his ass of at this very moment.

He called it a RUMOR R U M O R RUMOOOORRRR, LIKELY NOT TRUEEEE and it still gets this much attention.

This is also about the tenth time IGN has posted something about, "OMG KID ICARUS SOON??" I swear they're halfway behind the revival of interest in the title with how much they've constantly talked it up and brought it up. I'm not saying it's a bad title, just that IGN's been talking it up like no tomorrow.

A Wii sequel makes too much sense, though, and it'd be awesome if he looked the way he does in Brawl. Which isn't necessarily likely, given that the Smash designs are quite seperate from the other current gen designs. (As unfortunately evidenced by some of the great designs in Melee being shoved aside.)

MutFox

Banned
dead01.jpg

dead06.jpg

That's why this game was canned.

masud

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Someone explain this to me.

Dead Phoenix had a dark, realistic art style.
Both Kid Icarus games had cute, anime-style art with ridiculous enemies like the Eggplant Wizard.

Wings. Bow.

Gigglepoo

omg rite said:
that's probably where he got his info.

The 1up Show was clearly joking about it. One editor walked into the office of another to discuss a game (most segments start this way) and, in the background, you can see a Word file open that says "Breaking News: Kid Ikarus Coming to the Wii!!" Clearly a joke, and a funny one at that.

DavidDayton said:
... just like the new Ice Climbers game and the N64 Metroid game, right?

Um, well...Ice Climbers, no one'a ASKING for one of those games, and Metroid DID happen. Plus, Nintendo's been hiniting at a new Kid Icarus since E3 2005.

SantaCruZer said:
This is not surprising since they have the Kid Icarus model down already (from SSBB)
eh what? there's no way in hell they'd use the SSBB 3d model for any eventual standalone kid icarus game. wtf what what what. broken computer

thefro said:
Ice Climbers is lame... Kid Icarus Wii would be like Zelda + Metroidvania + DMC/God of War + Dead Phoenix.
shut your face. ice climber is awesome. I'd design a new ice climber game myself and it would be the most awesome 2 player per team vs/co-op crazyass heroin induced flipped out mountain climbing with lots of homosexual subtext game ever perceived

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Joseph Merrick said:
shut your face. ice climber is awesome. I'd design a new ice climber game myself and it would be the most awesome 2 player per team vs/co-op crazyass heroin induced flipped out mountain climbing with lots of homosexual subtext game ever perceived

you sir are a genius

[Nintex]

The guy who found the "OMG Rayman Raving Rabbids Boxart!!" now says that Nintendo will announce Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Smash Football 2. :lol

Nintendo will most likely throw a bone at us(screens from SSBB) and call it a day.

[Nintex] said:
The guy who found the "OMG Rayman Raving Rabbids Boxart!!" now says that Nintendo will announce Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Smash Football 2. :lol

Nintendo will most likely throw a bone at us(screens from SSBB) and call it a day.

Lineup needs more Geist 2 and Mario Party 8

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will announce Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Smash Football 2.
This is one of the least improbable scenarios I've heard thus far, in that the games are

-tailored to Europe (BW developed by what's-their-names)
-not especially noteworthy
-likely to be in development anyway

Kobun Heat said:
This is one of the least improbable scenarios I've heard thus far, in that the games are

-tailored to Europe (BW developed by what's-their-names)
-not especially noteworthy
-likely to be in development anyway

So what about the kid icarus games?:p

pitt_norton

Father_Brain said:

The other momentum (beside the 'wing' thing) of this particular rumour also involved an interview with Shinji Mikami stating that he'd love to work on a game with Nintendo.

Nintendo had gotten into handing out their IP's more frequently and Capcom canned development on 80 titles, one of which, Dead Phoenix was thought to be a victim of.

... talk of Kid Icarus and you've got yourself a fun rumour to antagonize over.

Gigglepoo

Why would Capcom make Kid Icarus? Just because Nintendo licensed out some franchises - like F Zero and Mario Kart - doesn't mean they'll just hand over all their properties. Capcom has made portable Zelda titles, but I can't imagine Nintendo is just going to let them resurrect a classic character like Pit. This will be made by one of Nintendo's own studios. Maybe Nintendo Tokyo will give it a shot.

Nintendo seems to be getting more cozy with Square-Enix.

Capcom made a large switch with their leadership, which resulted in Resident Evil 4 not being GameCube exclusive, it doesn't seem like the current Capcom brass is as pro-Nintendo as the previous one.

That will probably change if/when the Wii builds a nice sized userbase, but I would suspect Capcom may be a bit more cautious with the Wii this time around initially.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why would Capcom make Kid Ikarus? Just because Nintendo licensed out some franchises - like F Zero and Mario Kart - doesn't mean they'll just hand over all their properties. Capcom has made portable Zelda titles, but I can't imagine Nintendo is just going to let them resurrect a classic character like Pit.

Im not arguing whether Pit is being developed in-house or out-house, by EAD or an American Nintendo Studio. But Nintendo doesn't "hand out their franchises". Those cases you listed are Nintendo games being subcontracted to independent developers. Nintendo is still making the money as the publisher, and paying the development team (in-house / out-house). No different than any other development scenario really.

They should remake Mach Rider along with Duck Hunt and Ice Climber with new graphics but still a retro style (as the Duck Hunt demo at E3 was) and pack it in as part of a "Wii Classics" compilation or something.

Maybe throw in Pac-Man VS. as well if Namco is OK with that.

Saoh

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will announce Battalion Wars 2 and Mario Smash Football 2. :lol

that would be awesome, but its very unlikely :/

whatever it is, tomorrow im gonna wake up happy 'cuz im gonna get the news right in the early morning :D :D . thank you time zones, U ROXX!!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Here is what I see when I see that letter.

Hey my name is Matt from IGN, our hits have been a little down lately and we're afraid since we're too lazy to go cover the GC in Germany other sites may get more hits then us so we'll make up a BS rumour so every one visits IGN

Whats the rumour you say? Oh something about Wii but be rest asuured, if it gets annouced it will happen on IGN so like don't no where else, my job depends on it!

Remember Rumour!

Matt

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, we know the Mario Strikers guys are developing some Wii Mario sports title... cough...cough...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
The 1up Show was clearly joking about it. One editor walked into the office of another to discuss a game (most segments start this way) and, in the background, you can see a Word file open that says "Breaking News: Kid Ikarus Coming to the Wii!!" Clearly a joke, and a funny one at that.

yeah uh, that's my point. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
koam said:
I wonder what team will handle this. Can't be EAD or HAL. Maybe NST? It better not be outsourced to Namco or Sega. Capcom would be good.
Konami + Kojima + Kid Icarus = Win

koam said:
Actually, Kid Icarus with the RE4 engine would totally rock. (The gameplay engine, not the graphics one).
no

Joseph Merrick said:

That actually is quite brilliant.

Top Bottom