• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Branduil

I realize it's unavoidable that all FPS games for the system will utilize the pad, I just hope they all have optional WiiPlus control schemes so I can dominate all of the pad-users online.

I realize it's unavoidable that all FPS games for the system will utilize the pad, I just hope they all have optional WiiPlus control schemes so I can kill all of the pad-users online.

I think it'll be up to the developer but of course, right off the bat, they want to mess with the new "toy".

Options would be great for FPS games though.

I won't judge it until I actually try it out myself, but, being a longtime Nintendo fan, I just can't help but be disgusted at this controller.

I don't want a tablet. I just want a controller that lets me directly interface with the game world. I don't want to have HUDs and maps and crap on a giant screen on the controller itself.. I just can't see it being fun to play for anything longer than a Wii U Sports session (come on, you know it's going to happen, alongside Wii U Fit).

I felt the same way with the Wii, and while it had some fun experiences, to a "core" gamer like myself it only lasted those few hours/days with Wii Sports until I realized "How am I going to play real games with this?"

After developers all but abandoned the Wii because of it's lack of traditional control scheme and graphical power, I see the same thing happening when Sony and Microsoft put out their massively more powerful systems, considering the Wii U has specs that are marginally higher than the current gen systems.

Once again, Nintendo is putting control innovation above gaming and trying to incorporate it into gameplay mechanics but I just can't see it working. Maybe they'll get scraps of ports that are downgraded to the Wii U once the next gen starts. Maybe they won't, but I'm definitely not getting burned by a console that puts controls first and games last again.

I gave the Wii a chance and I ended up being left behind as the PS3 and 360 took off with true gaming experiences. Sure, Nintendo has it's awesome first party line of games but with motion controls shoehorned into them I got bored of those too. Now we're being forced to use that giant tablet, with the option of Wiimotes, and if they're smart, the classic and or Gamecube controllers?

I tell you what - whenever the new SSB game is released (years from now), if they force you to use that tablet ... just wait and see the fanbase's reaction.

I won't judge it until I actually try it out myself, but, being a longtime Nintendo fan, I just can't help but be disgusted at this controller.

I don't want a tablet. I just want a controller that lets me directly interface with the game world. I don't want to have HUDs and maps and crap on a giant screen on the controller itself.. I just can't see it being fun to play for anything longer than a Wii U Sports session (come on, you know it's going to happen, alongside Wii U Fit).

I felt the same way with the Wii, and while it had some fun experiences, to a "core" gamer like myself it only lasted those few hours/days with Wii Sports until I realized "How am I going to play real games with this?"

After developers all but abandoned the Wii because of it's lack of traditional control scheme and graphical power, I see the same thing happening when Sony and Microsoft put out their massively more powerful systems, considering the Wii U has specs that are marginally higher than the current gen systems.

Once again, Nintendo is putting control innovation above gaming and trying to incorporate it into gameplay mechanics but I just can't see it working. Maybe they'll get scraps of ports that are downgraded to the Wii U once the next gen starts. Maybe they won't, but I'm definitely not getting burned by a console that puts controls first and games last again.

I gave the Wii a chance and I ended up being left behind as the PS3 and 360 took off with true gaming experiences. Sure, Nintendo has it's awesome first party line of games but with motion controls shoehorned into them I got bored of those too. Now we're being forced to use that giant tablet, with the option of Wiimotes, and if they're smart, the classic and or Gamecube controllers?

I tell you what - whenever the new SSB game is released (years from now), if they force you to use that tablet ... just wait and see the fanbase's reaction.

Um, it'll have traditional controls. The Wii U is a traditional controller with a screen and a few other bells and whistles.

Also, define "force you to use the screen". I doubt that you'll have to use anything on the screen during a fight in SSBU.

Mlatador

Banned
Nintendo will need some great marketing to keep people from thinking the Wii U is not a Wii add-on. Seems like the same problem the 3DS had, in which people thought it was another DS.

I'm worried about that too, but then I looked further into it and found that the 3DS situation may be different.

There was the DS, the DS lite, The DSi and The DSXL.

By the time the 3DS came out, people got used to the name DS + something.

The Wii is alone, though. That's the only name there was for their home system during the last 6 years.

I think a Wii U (with a big, colored U) should be able to make people think "oh, what's that", although there still might be confusion.

That said, the controler is new and the graphics will be much better, so I hope it's enough to make people understand this time.

I wished they used another name, too, though.

Sendou

Because NFC's range is pretty small, and you'll need a marker on it so that people know where to place NFC enabled items.

Never thought of that! Unlike mobile phones the DCR is quite big so there could be some problems if there wasn't some indicator where the NFC chip was. I just imagined it would right underneath the screen.

ElRenoRaven

Yea developers won't have to use the screen. Sure some might but I think over time you'll see less using it and those that do will probably give you an option. But the best part is that we'll have a regular controller gameplay wise. Just it will have a big screen in the middle.

NeoRausch

Never thought of that! Unlike mobile phones the DCR is quite big so there could be some problems if there wasn't some indicator where the NFC chip was. I just imagined it would right underneath the screen.

I guess also that the first. Shown off NFC (on the screen) would have been stucked between the screen and the battery. Maybe not the best placement for a radio signal that weak.
now it would be in free range with just a few millimeter of plastic over it and not much else going on.

Um, it'll have traditional controls. The Wii U is a traditional controller with a screen and a few other bells and whistles.

Also, define "force you to use the screen". I doubt that you'll have to use anything on the screen during a fight in SSBU.

This is what I meant:

Yea developers won't have to use the screen. Sure some might but I think over time you'll see less using it and those that do will probably give you an option. But the best part is that we'll have a regular controller gameplay wise. Just it will have a big screen in the middle.

I was just writing a big, jaded post. I'm sorry ;( I just don't want that big screen in the middle of the controller... I loved the idea of the VMU with the Dreamcast controller, but I liked that it was small as well.

ElRenoRaven

This is what I meant:

I was just writing a big, jaded post. I'm sorry ;( I just don't want that big screen in the middle of the controller... I loved the idea of the VMU with the Dreamcast controller, but I liked that it was small as well.

Understandable. I'm ok with that though. Hell I'm just glad to have regular controls. I actually missed having a Nintendo console this gen. I have owned every Nintendo console pre Wii U. The few times I played one I just couldn't stand the motion controls. So if having to have a giant screen means I'll get traditional controls again it's worth it I say.

royalan

They addressed my biggest annoyance with the original controller design, even bigger than the lack of analog sticks.

They moved the sticks slightly to the side of the buttons/pad.

As someone with big thumbs who was genuinely worried of accidentally hitting buttons while going for the analog stick. I approve majorly.

SRidge52

Banned
Excellent. I hate the circle pads. It's why I hardly play my 3DS. They seem so cheap and feel crappy.

Here's hoping actual sticks are in the 3DS redesign, too.

Codeblue

I'm glad that they are sticks now but I'm not glad that they've been moved outward. What I liked about the first controller is that it looked like you could move the stick with the tip of your thumb and keep the center part of it on a button below it, which I thought was the whole point of the stick placement.

They addressed my biggest annoyance with the original controller design, even bigger than the lack of analog sticks.

They moved the sticks slightly to the side of the buttons/pad.

As someone with big thumbs who was genuinely worried of accidentally hitting buttons while going for the analog stick. I approve majorly.

I'm glad that they are sticks now but I'm not glad that they've been moved outward. What I liked about the first controller is that it looked like you could move the stick with the tip of your thumb and keep the center part of it on a button below it, which I thought was the whole point of the stick placement.

You can't please some of the people even some of the time.

bozeman

Wondering if there's going to be a feature where you can scan your thumbprint and the system will pop on with that person's Mii and personal settings ready to go.

Top Bottom