• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

SRidge52

Banned
How exactly would that work?
I dunno? I can dream though, can't I?

EDIT - Just a tip here, guys. Don't take me seriously when I say stuff like that. I tend to have a little too overactive imagination and think big without thinking things through. :/

wrowa

I like the layout of the sticks. While playing RE:Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro I realized that it's really comfortable if both thumbs are on the same height while playing a game like that.

Wondering if there's going to be a feature where you can scan your thumbprint and the system will pop on with that person's Mii and personal settings ready to go.
Facial Recognition would be better.
Too true.

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining though. It's not really an issue for me, as long as my hands don't cramp and the games are there, I'd be fine with any controller.

Nah, I just found it funny that you both said the exact opposite thing.
:p

Orayn

maybe they'll turn into two gamecube analog sticks right before e3.

I sure hope they don't downgrade it like that.

I dont like that the fact that rigth stick is above the ABXY buttons :S

The whole controller is long enough that you can just sort of slide your hand down to accommodate games that mainly use left analog and face buttons. There really aren't primary and secondary positions like on most controllers.

Terrell

Watch... just to make this a negative instead of a positive, at E3 2012, journalists are gonna say "these analog sticks make the controller feel and control worse than at 2011!!"

And were this to come true, I would only be able to sit and laugh when I realize that everyone that asked for analog sticks without ever touching the controller may have influenced Nintendo to DOWNGRADE the controller.

NeoRausch

Wondering if there's going to be a feature where you can scan your thumbprint and the system will pop on with that person's Mii and personal settings ready to go.

People need to realize: ther was no, is no and never will be some sort of scanning involved in the wii u controller. It's chip and radio wave based.

to answere your question: No.

but maybe a personalized NFC card. That would be cool.

Gravijah

And were this to come true, I would only be able to sit and laugh when I realize that everyone that asked for analog sticks without ever touching the controller may have influenced Nintendo to DOWNGRADE the controller.

when you used the wii u controller, how were the slidepads?

Watch... just to make this a negative instead of a positive, at E3 2012, journalists are gonna say "these analog sticks make the controller feel and control worse than at 2011!!"

These changes were from third party input, not "fan" input.

Antioch

Well the WiiU redesign was one of the biggest things I was curious about, but it's alright. I'm sure there's a lot more in store.

Me too, but honestly I think this is the kind of thing best seen prior to the conference anyway, that way they don't need to waste any time on emphasizing any controller changes and can get straight down to the games, in theory at least.

backlot

Me too, but honestly I think this is the kind of thing best seen prior to the conference anyway, that way they don't need to waste any time on emphasizing any controller changes and can get straight down to the games, in theory at least.

I doubt they're gonna change their conference plans now. They'll still talk about the controller plenty.

hao chi

I was willing to give the slide pads a try because I trust Nintendo to make a comfortable controller, but I am seriously glad to hear this news.

And apparently they're clickable? Thank god. Too many games use L3 and R3 for important purposes for them to not be included, and hopefully it's a sign Nintendo is really learning from their mistakes. Maybe they're finally done building consoles that suit their needs and hoping third parties adapt.

dwu8991

Banned
I like the layout of the sticks. While playing RE:Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro I realized that it's really comfortable if both thumbs are on the same height while playing a game like that.

makes sense !!!

but that's coming from a duel shock user

I was willing to get the slide pads a try because I trust Nintendo to make a comfortable controller, but I am seriously glad to hear this news.

And apparently they're clicking? Thank god. Too many games use L3 and R3 for them to not be included, and hopefully it's a sign Nintendo is really learning from their mistakes. Maybe they're finally done building consoles that suit their needs and hoping third parties adapt.

Which falls in line with a lot of rumors actually

Terrell

when you used the wii u controller, how were the slidepads?

I didn't. But neither did most everyone else here. That's my point... how many people bitched about slide pads around here making the assumption that they were exactly the same as on the 3DS when a simple visual inspection confirms they are designed differently?

These changes were from third party input, not "fan" input.

Do we know that for sure? I'm sure some 3rd-parties were consulted before E3 2011... I'd think the changes would have appeared then if it were 3rd-party input.

rouken

why does it look bigger?

i hope that means there are added features to it, the analogs are a plus so nintendo are on the right track with this

I didn't. But neither did most everyone else here. That's my point... how many people bitched about slide pads around here making the assumption that they were exactly the same as on the 3DS when a simple visual inspection confirms they are designed differently?

Do we know that for sure? I'm sure some 3rd-parties were consulted before E3 2011... I'd think the changes would have appeared then if it were 3rd-party input.

Very few third parties really had a chance to use the system before E3.
Afterwards more and more got units, and feed back started to get back to Nintendo.
They started to redesign the controller, and patented it in February.

Nintendo has never, and likely will never, listen to anything forum fanboys have to say.

I don't think very much.

hao chi

Which falls in line with a lot of rumors actually

I haven't been keeping up with the Wii U rumors lately, so which ones are you talking about? The ones about how Nintendo has been talking to developers about what they want from the Wii U?

If so, I definitely agree. I'm just hoping they've got a sensible online ready for launch.

Terrell

Very few third parties really had a chance to use the system before E3.
Afterwards more and more got units, and feed back started to get back to Nintendo.
They started to redesign the controller, and patented it in February.

Nintendo has never, and likely will never, listen to anything forum fanboys have to say.

Remember the sizzle reel? That was just the developers that they got to talk ON CAMERA about the system, not the entirety of who they showed it to. Some of the bigger names in the industry, too. You think they wouldn't have said anything to Nintendo about it? Unlikely.

Nintendo said themselves that they wanted to make a system that appeals to the core gamer. Not listening to the core gamer's reactions to it is antithetical to that position.

Remember the sizzle reel? That was just the developers that they got to talk ON CAMERA about the system, not the entirety of who they showed it to. Some of the bigger names in the industry, too. You think they wouldn't have said anything to Nintendo about it? Unlikely.

Who says they didn't?
But they likely didn't have time to implement changes to the E3 controllers. They had already been using those controllers and those worked for the E3 demos.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the ports on the bottom of the controller are for?

Bigger one was HDMI at E3 and the other two were for connecting peripherals.

BurntPork

Banned
seriously, how else could they put analogue control in a clamshell handheld, you crazy

KRSk1.gif

opi1saved

Neo Member
Maybe that little square is a thumbprint reader? Doubt it, but that's a pretty sweet idea.

Terrell

Who says they didn't?
But they likely didn't have time to implement changes to the E3 controllers. They had already been using those controllers and those worked for the E3 demos.

They would have showed it to 3rd-parties to give them enough lead time on E3 to show it to their teams and confirm game announcements. That means there should have been enough time for design changes.

Ridley327

According to people in the know, yes.
The triggers are also apparently analog (as of a few months ago).

I actually wondered about that, since they announced downloadable GCN games and a few of those actually do need analog triggers and none of the Wii controllers outside of the original Classic Controller had them.

They would have showed it to 3rd-parties to give them enough lead time on E3 to show it to their teams and confirm game announcements. That means there should have been enough time for design changes.

Most companies only had weeks to make any Wii U games.
That isn't enough time to make a bunch of new controllers.
That requires a complete change in the factory process.

Top Bottom