• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

You know it is pretty common for Nintendo to make adjustments to their controllers during development.

618mg.jpg

It looks like it consists of clay or something.

Also, obligatory

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But I also hope that controller isn't real. There's so much wasted space on an already enormous controller. Looks like about 1.5" of blank slate on the left side.

Wait, you want the stick right at the edge of the controller? Thank God you're not in charge of the design department.

Man, I was really hoping that they weren't going to end up calling this thing "Wii U."

There's still time for that to change... right?

People really need to get over the name. Its been nearly a year. It kinda grown on me. Sure, they could have chosen another name, but they decided on this one. Get used to it!

+Analog sticks that are clickable
+Underside that looks more comfortable
+Better placement of buttons

I hope this is true. It can't get much better than this.

WillyFive

Nope.
They've basically cleared all the hurdles.
Wii U is the final name.

Nintendo will need some great marketing to keep people from thinking the Wii U is not a Wii add-on. Seems like the same problem the 3DS had, in which people thought it was another DS.

It looks a lot more ergonomic now that the D-pad and buttons aren't straight underneath the sticks. I don't care much about it having analog sticks over analog pads, so long as it's comfortable to use (which the sliders were reported as).

Nintendo will need some great marketing to keep people from thinking the Wii U is not a Wii add-on. Seems like the same problem the 3DS had, in which people thought it was another DS.

To be fair, there was like 4 other DS brands already before that. And Iwata apparently thinks that there was no problem with the 3DS name in that regard.

Koren

That can be a problem, but there's a major difference : there was several models of DS : DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL. So 3DS may have been an additional model of DS.

There's a single model of Wii. It should be easier.

WillyFive

To be fair, there was like 4 other DS brands already before that. And Iwata said that he didn't see the problem in the 3DS name.

There are a ton of Wii __ brands out there, including accessories.

Without good marketing, what is there to differentiate the Wii U and the uDraw to someone walking down the aisles of Walmart? The Wii U would just look like a bundle of the Wii and a first party version of the uDraw.

Dartastic

+Analog sticks that are clickable
+Underside that looks more comfortable
+Better placement of buttons

I hope this is true. It can't get much better than this.
The underside will be more comfy for sure. It was not comfortable at all last year; fuck what the journalists were saying.

Mlatador

Banned
Well, you can't go wrong with analog sticks. In fact, Nintendo fucking knows how to make them (n64 not included).

On the other hand, I wasn't too bothered by the slide-pads to be honest. I'm surprised how good they work on the 3DS. Though I still think that real AS are superior.

I guess thrid parties triggered this modification.

Mistle

All they have to do now is change the name and I'll be happy... But it still says Wiiu on the new remote, so doubt it

dwu8991

Banned
The underside will be more comfy for sure. It was not comfortable at all last year; fuck what the journalists were saying.

The underside is very Nintendo.

Like the N64 controller and Gamecube controller.

Amazing that Nintendo has taken a tablet and crafted back into a Nintendo controller !!!

Without good marketing, what is there to differentiate the Wii U and the uDraw to someone walking down the aisles of Walmart? The Wii U would just look like a bundle of the Wii and a first party version of the uDraw.

True, I didn't even think about WiiFit and such.

Alongside marketing, I reckon they strongly make clear differences when it comes to the game boxes, compared to 3DS games that pretty much look exactly like DS. And have more console colours from the start that catch the eye instead of going all-white again. (Which I hated about the Wii)

thefro

lol, the poor guy on twitter who posted this took down the tweet and changed his description to take out where he works at.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's really not an issue, the reason why there was confusion in regards to E3 was that Nintendo didnt bother to focus on the actual console box itself, so it could be percieved as just an add on. However if Nintendo's marketing brings the console box to the fore front of it's marketing there's really very little to misinterpretate. All of those wii branded items still used the wii and were simply addons, showing an actual console immediately separtes the two.

The issue with 3DS was their wasn't a immediate separation of the 3DS from the DS apart from graphics, and most adults who bought them as gifts for others or themselves wouldn't care or bother knowing the difference between the graphical capabilities of the two machines.

Top Bottom