• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Direct coming next week

BlackTron

Sure, I've been hearing that shit for around 15 years or more already (and I swear that's been said for even longer).

What about Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans because they like what Nintendo put out and they buy it because it matches their tastes and not that they give up their money for "loyalty"?

Some people in the recent Nintendo threads were "laughing at Nintendo fans" for wanting a more powerful console and claiming "they said powerful consoles were bad" when I've never seen a single person saying so, ever.

What I hear all the time is: "As long as games play, look and run great, I'm ok" and that's what Nintendo games always do in their consoles. All flagship nintendo games made by nintendo studios have great performance.

It's just having to protect big man teraflop plastic boxes from the threat of little lunchboxes and tablets. When you don't have a microscopic dick you can unapologetically do things like enjoy Nintendo quality without having to knock someone else down a peg

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why would they do that?
Nintendo is not going to scuttle its end-of-year sales.
If there's a Direct to come, it will be to showcase the Switch's upcoming titles, such as Mario Wonder, Princess Peach, Mario RPG, etc.

Your probably right about what it is, but I don't think a $400-500 switch 2 launching next year is going to keep the casuals from grabbing a cheaper switch for Christmas......they won't even know the sequel is coming as they don't follow tech news. All of the hardcore gamers and tech peope who would "hold off" already own a switch or had no plans to buy one.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Your probably right about what it is, but I don't think a $400-500 switch 2 launching next year is going to keep the casuals from grabbing a cheaper switch for Christmas......they won't even know the sequel is coming as they don't follow tech news. All of the hardcore gamers and tech peope who would "hold off" already own a switch or had no plans to buy one.

Silly goose

Robb

Gold Member
If nothing happens this week all the leakers get the guillotine!
let i hate everyone GIF

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

It's just having to protect big man teraflop plastic boxes from the threat of little lunchboxes and tablets. When you don't have a microscopic dick you can unapologetically do things like enjoy Nintendo quality without having to knock someone else down a peg
No. Only if you knock someone else down a peg while enjoying Nintendo quality (at times) and other platforms like me! than you have truly a massive rooster.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why would they do that?
Nintendo is not going to scuttle its end-of-year sales.
If there's a Direct to come, it will be to showcase the Switch's upcoming titles, such as Mario Wonder, Princess Peach, Mario RPG, etc.
There are 4 months left until December. Nintendo being Nintendo may actually announce a "Pro" to extend Switch lifetime or a successor and it would sell like crazy in christmas anyway... I don't think they'll do but it would be amazingly funny to see :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Inanilmaz

That was exactly what i was thinking 👍 but you never know, the casuals are catching up.

blacktout

OK, this is all just wild speculation, but I'm starting to think we're going to get a Direct Mini instead of a general Direct this week.

So, let's imagine a world where:
- The Switch 2 is going to be announced early next year with a release date later in 2024.
- Metroid Prime 4 is a crossgen game, and Nintendo would rather show Switch 2 gameplay than OG Switch gameplay when they unveil it, for obvious reasons.
- There are no "big" Switch titles in development and Super Mario Wonder is going to be the system's last major, non-crossgen release.
- The Switch is going to be treated like Nintendo's other successful platforms and be supported for a couple of years after its successor comes out, but only with smaller games and ports.

In that scenario, you could have a few titles with modest budgets (like the Peach game, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and various ports) and a handful of third party games releasing in late 2022/early 2024 that can't wait until next year to be shown, but no major titles to open or close a general Direct. Just dropping a Direct Mini on a Wednesday or Thursday morning with minimal fanfare could be a way to get information out about these games while minimizing the hype/backlash cycle that would come from a general Direct with no "one more thing."

Woopah

OK, this is all just wild speculation, but I'm starting to think we're going to get a Direct Mini instead of a general Direct this week.

So, let's imagine a world where:
- The Switch 2 is going to be announced early next year with a release date later in 2024.
- Metroid Prime 4 is a crossgen game, and Nintendo would rather show Switch 2 gameplay than OG Switch gameplay when they unveil it, for obvious reasons.
- There are no "big" Switch titles in development and Super Mario Wonder is going to be the system's last major, non-crossgen release.
- The Switch is going to be treated like Nintendo's other successful platforms and be supported for a couple of years after its successor comes out, but only with smaller games and ports.

In that scenario, you could have a few titles with modest budgets (like the Peach game, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and various ports) and a handful of third party games releasing in late 2022/early 2024 that can't wait until next year to be shown, but no major titles to open or close a general Direct. Just dropping a Direct Mini on a Wednesday or Thursday morning with minimal fanfare could be a way to get information out about these games while minimizing the hype/backlash cycle that would come from a general Direct with no "one more thing."
I'm starting to think the same, a Mini with a few minor third party and first party announcements.

Everything else is saved for early next year.

FYI— NateDrake made it pretty clear in his latest podcast episode today that Direct is this week, either Wednesday or Thursday.

So if that’s true, (and his track record is extremely good), it gets announced tomorrow at the usual 10AM EST time globally, for a Wednesday evening or Thursday airtime.

Should be a fun week! With the big Mario Wonder blowout already out there, I have to imagine there are some decently big guns left to drop in this one. Could be the last or second-to-last Direct just dedicated only to Switch games and not a new system.

Enjoy, all! Should be a good one ;)
If it's happening this week, it's happening thursday. If it was happening tomorrow, we would have heard about it today. If it's happening thursday, we'll have to hear about it tomorrow.

Woopah

If it's happening this week, it's happening thursday. If it was happening tomorrow, we would have heard about it today. If it's happening thursday, we'll have to hear about it tomorrow.
Nate and necrolipe just said it's planned for Thursday, so let's see if we get an announcement tomorrow.

There are 4 months left until December. Nintendo being Nintendo may actually announce a "Pro" to extend Switch lifetime or a successor and it would sell like crazy in christmas anyway... I don't think they'll do but it would be amazingly funny to see :messenger_tears_of_joy:
There’s just no business reason to announce hardware that won’t be available til next year ahead of the year-end season. There’s no benefit to doing that, all they would do is take focus off selling all these new Switch games and holiday bundles and the Mario OLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom