• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Direct coming next week

BlackTron

You said Zelda always releases on new and old systems. This clearly implied a standalone release for that platform. This has only happened a few times. If you want to include BC, it's happened far more times, but still not always, or when it does, with caveats. Ocarina of Time GC was like a ROM on a promo disc.

Yeah, I just said I'm not convinced they'll do it. Because Nintendo can sometimes be inexplicably lazy and weird.
I just don't understand how you are convinced though how a mainline sequel that is extremely highly praised won't be getting a "pro" version or "superior" version on their core platform. That sounds bonkers and silly.

You said Zelda always releases on new and old systems. This clearly implied a standalone release for that platform. This has only happened a few times. If you want to include BC, it's happened far more times, but still not always, or when it does, with caveats. Ocarina of Time GC was like a ROM on a promo disc.
By "always" I meant the last 2 decades or so, so my bad choice of words. Anyways, the last 2 decades that seemed to be the consistency with them. It's a trademark at this point to release a new Zelda or a recently released Zelda on a new platform. I strongly believe that Tears of the Kingdom will follow the footsteps of Breath of the Wild. It just makes too much logical sense.

BlackTron

That sounds bonkers and silly.

WAU9Oz5.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
By "always" I meant the last 2 decades or so, so my bad choice of words. Anyways, the last 2 decades that seemed to be the consistency with them. It's a trademark at this point to release a new Zelda or a recently released Zelda on a new platform. I strongly believe that Tears of the Kingdom will follow the footsteps of Breath of the Wild. It just makes too much logical sense.

But again, they didn't do that for SS. Yes, it's playable on Wii U, but there was no new release that took advantage of the more powerful hardware etc. That only happened on the Switch for that game, the upgrade skipped a generation.

I still think you're right that it will happen with TOTK though. I just wanted to be a bit anal about it. 🙂

Last edited:

BlackTron

Note that the two Zelda titles that released cross-gen had one thing in common, they were released at the same time; in both cases, they had started development on the old platform, but shifted gears because the system didn't do too well, they took too long to make the game, and they needed it to support the new platform. In these cases, they released the game on the old system (Gamecube and Wii U) just as not to renege on their promise to fans that bought the console that the game was coming. It had nothing to do with "tradition".

This time, they decided to make a Zelda for Switch and put it out for that system competently on time, while Switch was running on all cylinders, with no great desire to get away from Switch to support a new platform; they MAY release a new version of TOTK, but they could just as easily leave it in the dust to focus on new Zelda and let anyone play it using BC.

Note that the two Zelda titles that released cross-gen had one thing in common, they were released at the same time; in both cases, they had started development on the old platform, but shifted gears because the system didn't do too well, they took too long to make the game, and they needed it to support the new platform. In these cases, they released the game on the old system (Gamecube and Wii U) just as not to renege on their promise to fans that bought the console that the game was coming. It had nothing to do with "tradition".

This time, they decided to make a Zelda for Switch and put it out for that system competently on time, while Switch was running on all cylinders, with no great desire to get away from Switch to support a new platform; they MAY release a new version of TOTK, but they could just as easily leave it in the dust to focus on new Zelda and let anyone play it using BC.
I get what you are saying and you have valid points. However, I just have a hard time personally believing TOTK a game that is so highly praised to be left in the dust without being upgraded to a new platform. It would be stupid for Nintendo to release their new system without a flagship title like Zelda TOTK. Yeah, it would be an older game, but some may have preferred to wait to play it at a better visual and technical fidelity.

Either way Nintendo NEVER release a new system without a flagship exclusive whether it be cross gen or completely brand new. I am personally hoping for a new flagship 3d Mario, but that's personal wishes. Zelda TOTK could also still move plenty of units for them as well.

Some rumors speculate that Metroid Prime 4 is the launch title, but I have no opinion on that and I haven't been following it.

The bigger question is though what is going to happen to Smash as a franchise? Sakurai said he is done with it and tired and to be quite frank, I don't blame him. Also, how do you even top Smash Ultimate? There is no possible human way for them to come out with more crazy characters or more of an insane roster. That entire game made a pipedream a reality. The only thing is see for Smash, is somewhat of an improved and higher up-rez version of it with new bells and whistles but same content. I have no idea what the future holds for that franchise after Smash Ultimate, or if it even has one moving forward.

I deeply hope though for Mario Kart 9 at launch, but that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I get what you are saying and you have valid points. However, I just have a hard time personally believing TOTK a game that is so highly praised to be left in the dust without being upgraded to a new platform. It would be stupid for Nintendo to release their new system without a flagship title like Zelda TOTK. Yeah, it would be an older game, but some may have preferred to wait to play it at a better visual and technical fidelity.

Either way Nintendo NEVER release a new system without a flagship exclusive whether it be cross gen or completely brand new. I am personally hoping for a new flagship 3d Mario, but that's personal wishes. Zelda TOTK could also still move plenty of units for them as well.

Some rumors speculate that Metroid Prime 4 is the launch title, but I have no opinion on that and I haven't been following it.

The bigger question is though what is going to happen to Smash as a franchise? Sakurai said he is done with it and tired and to be quite frank, I don't blame him. Also, how do you even top Smash Ultimate? There is no possible human way for them to come out with more crazy character or more of an insane roster. That entire game made a pipedream a reality. The only thing is see for Smash, is somewhat of an improved and higher up-rez version of it with new bells and whistles but same content. I have no idea what the future holds for that franchise after Smash Ultimate, or if it even has one moving forward.

Although I'm completely confident they won't announce Switch 2 until next year, the software lineup is more personal prediction, but here's my take. I put the most stock in a new 3D Mario game. The question is, what do they pair with it. Personally, I don't think they will re-package TOTK that fast. I think if they do "TOTK DX" it will be later on to fill a gap. This is assuming Switch 2 has BC. If it doesn't have BC, then TOTK DX will be there Day One.

It's very feasible Switch 2 will be BC and the launch will be Mario and Metroid. While Metroid might not seem big enough for launch, on the contrary, this could be the launch to make Metroid a big game if they knock it out of the park. Especially if they kill it with a multiplayer mode. It could almost make Metroid a household name if executed correctly. They smartly led into this by porting Prime 1 with a modern control scheme.

I think we will see only one face of Mario at launch, that means the one new 3D game, and no Mario Kart or 2D title. If it's BC, and the games they deliver are hype, it won't matter. At launch they will sell everything they can make no matter what. And then keep the momentum up by spacing the big guns apart. We aren't going to have 3D Mario, MK9, TOTK, Metroid etc all at the same time at launch like I see some muse in other threads lol. Just because they have it loaded doesn't mean they're gonna fire it yet. They are masters of spacing and timing.

As for Smash. Worst case scenario is a port of Ultimate that runs or looks nicer. But there will be Smash. Be it a port, or a new game without Sakurai, or if he gets dragged back in. How many times have tired Japanese men said "I'm done working" anyway, we will see.

Although I'm completely confident they won't announce Switch 2 until next year, the software lineup is more personal prediction, but here's my take. I put the most stock in a new 3D Mario game. The question is, what do they pair with it. Personally, I don't think they will re-package TOTK that fast. I think if they do "TOTK DX" it will be later on to fill a gap. This is assuming Switch 2 has BC. If it doesn't have BC, then TOTK DX will be there Day One.

It's very feasible Switch 2 will be BC and the launch will be Mario and Metroid. While Metroid might not seem big enough for launch, on the contrary, this could be the launch to make Metroid a big game if they knock it out of the park. Especially if they kill it with a multiplayer mode. It could almost make Metroid a household name if executed correctly. They smartly led into this by porting Prime 1 with a modern control scheme.

I think we will see only one face of Mario at launch, that means the one new 3D game, and no Mario Kart or 2D title. If it's BC, and the games they deliver are hype, it won't matter. At launch they will sell everything they can make no matter what. And then keep the momentum up by spacing the big guns apart. We aren't going to have 3D Mario, MK9, TOTK, Metroid etc all at the same time at launch like I see some muse in other threads lol. Just because they have it loaded doesn't mean they're gonna fire it yet. They are masters of spacing and timing.

As for Smash. Worst case scenario is a port of Ultimate that runs or looks nicer. But there will be Smash. Be it a port, or a new game without Sakurai, or if he gets dragged back in. How many times have tired Japanese men said "I'm done working" anyway, we will see.
I think Switch 2 will be teased this year, but not announced/revealed fully until the next, but we've been over this already.

If Switch 2 launches in the Fall of 2024 then a new version TOTK is not really off the table. The Last of Us for PS3 came out in June and the a remaster of it came out for PS4 in January of 2014 after the PS4 launched in November. They could do the same thing here and that also puts TOTK at over a year old mark anyway. Game came out in May and we're in September now, the game is 4 months old. If Switch 2 releases November the game will be a year and 6 months old or so. That's more than enough time for them to release a buffed version for the new system and for the holiday sales to go along with it. Perfect package.

Obviously, like you said it would include a new Mario, assuming both of our predictions come true. Yes, while Sakurai has said many times his done with Smash and even if he does come back what do you do with Smash? There is nothing left. You already have super duper mega stars that no one thought would ever appear in such a game in a million years. How do you top Banjo Kaoozie? Sora? Sephiroth? Again, a cracked version of the game is probably most likely like you and me both predict.

Mario Kart 8 is very old by now, the deluxe version is great, but it's time for a new one. I don't know if there will be one at launch, but a new one has too happen.

BlackTron

I think Switch 2 will be teased this year, but not announced/revealed fully until the next, but we've been over this already.

If Switch 2 launches in the Fall of 2024 then a new version TOTK is not really off the table. The Last of Us for PS3 came out in June and the a remaster of it came out for PS4 in January of 2014 after the PS4 launched in November. They could do the same thing here and that also puts TOTK at over a year old mark anyway. Game came out in May and we're in September now, the game is 4 months old. If Switch 2 releases November the game will be a year and 6 months old or so. That's more than enough time for them to release a buffed version for the new system and for the holiday sales to go along with it. Perfect package.

Obviously, like you said it would include a new Mario, assuming both of our predictions come true. Yes, while Sakurai has said many times his done with Smash and even if he does come back what do you do with Smash? There is nothing left. You already have super duper mega stars that no one thought would ever appear in such a game in a million years. How do you top Banjo Kaoozie? Sora? Sephiroth? Again, a cracked version of the game is probably most likely like you and me both predict.

Mario Kart 8 is very old by now, the deluxe version is great, but it's time for a new one. I don't know if there will be one at launch, but a new one has too happen.

There is no difference between a full reveal and a tease because either one tells the public it's coming which is what they don't want to do. There is no "sliding scale" of revealing it happening; it is on/off yes no. They cannot "let the cat out of the bag".

I never said a new version of TOTK is off the table. It is very much on the table. But my prediction is that they won't do it that fast. Why? Because everybody already played it so they would prefer to stick a different game in the launch window and let TOTK fill a gap elsewhere. Just my take. Again the goal is not to have as much software as humanly possible for Switch 2 at launch. They probably want 2 heavy hitter games and don't want one of them to be a game everyone has already. They can use TOTK DX to fill a gap in the software lineup later instead of overstuffing the launch window. Remember it's not a new game anymore. It's not like Twilight Princess or BOTW.

There is no difference between a full reveal and a tease because either one tells the public it's coming which is what they don't want to do. There is no "sliding scale" of revealing it happening; it is on/off yes no. They cannot "let the cat out of the bag".

I never said a new version of TOTK is off the table. It is very much on the table. But my prediction is that they won't do it that fast. Why? Because everybody already played it so they would prefer to stick a different game in the launch window and let TOTK fill a gap elsewhere. Just my take. Again the goal is not to have as much software as humanly possible for Switch 2 at launch. They probably want 2 heavy hitter games and don't want one of them to be a game everyone has already. They can use TOTK DX to fill a gap in the software lineup later instead of overstuffing the launch window. Remember it's not a new game anymore. It's not like Twilight Princess or BOTW.
Honestly, this year there has been so many reports already of Switch 2 and all these "findings" and now people saying Devs have seen Switch 2 in action last month. At this rate, the cat is already out of the bag. Tease the god damn thing already, its getting fucking old.

Zelda also already came out which is arguably their biggest heavy hitter. Super Mario Wonder might be a Mario game, but its not mainline and gives off more of a spin-off vibes than anything and is a "fill the gap" type game in my opinion. Super Mario RPG Remake while an awesome announcement is again just feels like another cherry on the top after Zelda TOTK. I do not believe they are such important games for them not to tease the next system. I get your points, but my point is I believe you are giving these two titles too much credit.

TOTK DX after 1.6 years is more than enough time for them to re-release. I feel like if its going to take any longer than that then everyone would have already played it by then. But then again, Nintendo can resell decades old games at full price. One reason why I do also still think that TOTK will be available on Switch 2 at launch is because it's the only Switch game that is being sold for $69.99 which is a price tag for "next gen" titles that are also cross-gen. Why is Pikmin 4 which is also an official 1st party Switch exclusive is only selling for $59.99 but Zelda sold for $69.99? Is it just because its Zelda? Super Mario Bros Wonder is also selling for $59.99 and so is Super Mario RPG $59.99. Why is Zelda the only exception to the pricing rule? Do Mario titles not carry the same weight as the Zelda brand? That's not making sense. It's still a 1st party product, but Zelda is being pushed as a $70 next-gen cross-gen price tag. My point is that with Zelda being $69.99 it makes me believe that the next-gen version has been in the works at the same time as the Switch version and it's just a cross-gen game that's being released earlier because Nintendo wants to make as much money as possible and it makes sense business wise.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Honestly, this year there has been so many reports already of Switch 2 and all these "findings" and now people saying Devs have seen Switch 2 in action last month. At this rate, the cat is already out of the bag. Tease the god damn thing already, its getting fucking old.

There is a huge difference between leaks, talking to devs behind closed doors, and making it your intentional marketing message to customers. Sure they can't plug every hole in the barrel, that doesn't mean they should knock it over on purpose. You are saying "Nintendo it's getting old that you refuse to shoot yourself in the foot and ignore marketing 101". Don't be silly.

Zelda also already came out which is arguably their biggest heavy hitter. Super Mario Wonder might be a Mario game, but its not mainline and gives off more of a spin-off vibes than anything and is a "fill the gap" type game in my opinion. Super Mario RPG Remake while an awesome announcement is again just feels like another cherry on the top after Zelda TOTK. I do not believe they are such important games for them not to tease the next system. I get your points, but my point is I believe you are giving these two titles too much credit.

TOTK DX after 1.6 years is more than enough time for them to re-release. I feel like if its going to take any longer than that then everyone would have already played it by then. But then again, Nintendo can resell decades old games games at full price. One reason why I do also still think that TOTK will be available on Switch 2 at launch is because it's the only Switch game that is being sold for $69.99 which is a price tag for "next gen" titles that are also cross-gen. Why is Pikmin 4 which is also an official 1st party Switch exclusive is only selling for $59.99 but Zelda sold for $69.99? Is it just because its Zelda? Super Mario Bros Wonder is also selling for $59.99 and so is Super Mario RPG $59.99. Why is Zelda the only exception to the pricing rule? Do Mario titles not carry the same weight as the Zelda brand? That's not making sense. It's still a 1st party product, but Zelda is being pushed as a $70 next-gen cross-gen price tag.

I think this really shows where our disconnect is, you are looking at it backwards, gauging the importance of individual games, it doesn't matter if they didn't have a single game for the rest of the year, it's still stupid to announce Switch 2 until after Xmas, you just are focusing on irrelevant aspects instead of the fundamental reasons why this is, which are basic.

It's not about having "enough" time AFTER Zelda TOTK comes out to release a remake. The point is it's already out so by the time we are at Switch 2 launch, it's an old game. A great old game, but still an old game. It's the kind of game they will KEEP momentum going with a port to fill a gap. Not spark/create it. Nintendo has never launched a system with an old Zelda game. TOTK DX just feels more right as a Q2/3 2025 type game to me, but whatever.

Again, I'm not saying Zelda DX *can't* happen near launch, but your iron-clad certainty that it will be there and the reasons given don't make sense to me. Even more so with the massive success of the game. The entire breathing world already bought it. It would be like launching SNES with a remake of Zelda 1 instead of AlttP (I know it didn't launch with that but you know what I mean). Or put another way, Mario All-Stars instead of Mario World.

TOTK DX after 1.6 years is more than enough time for them to re-release. I feel like if its going to take any longer than that then everyone would have already played it by then. But then again, Nintendo can resell decades old games at full price. One reason why I do also still think that TOTK will be available on Switch 2 at launch is because it's the only Switch game that is being sold for $69.99 which is a price tag for "next gen" titles that are also cross-gen. Why is Pikmin 4 which is also an official 1st party Switch exclusive is only selling for $59.99 but Zelda sold for $69.99? Is it just because its Zelda? Super Mario Bros Wonder is also selling for $59.99 and so is Super Mario RPG $59.99. Why is Zelda the only exception to the pricing rule? Do Mario titles not carry the same weight as the Zelda brand? That's not making sense. It's still a 1st party product, but Zelda is being pushed as a $70 next-gen cross-gen price tag. My point is that with Zelda being $69.99 it makes me believe that the next-gen version has been in the works at the same time as the Switch version and it's just a cross-gen game that's being released earlier because Nintendo wants to make as much money as possible and it makes sense business wise.
TotK clearly had the biggest budget of any Nintendo game ever, and is ~300 hours long to 100%, which makes a $70 price more palatable

L*][*N*K

Banned
Ehh I disagree. Nintendo has repackaged ancient games that are decades old and sold them at full $60 prices multiple times.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic here lol.
I disagree, if Nintendo had such a rabid fanbase who will buy everything they put out they wouldn’t have had Virtual Boy, GameCube and Wii U, 3 failed consoles to Sony’s Zero, their games sell in 10s of millions because of their appeal

Astral Dog

😂bro Super Mario bros Wonder looks to be the best Mario game since 3D World released ,it will be an absolute beast of a game

Tears of the Kingdom is $70 because Nintendo didn't want to lose any profit to inflation, they could get away with Zelda since its one of their most ambitious games.

Goddamn i want to see that new Donkey Kong !

Last edited:
😂bro Super Mario bros Wonder looks to be the best Mario game since 3D World released ,it will be an absolute beast of a game

Tears of the Kingdom is $70 because Nintendo didn't want to lose any profit to inflation, they could get away with Zelda since its one of their most ambitious games.

Goddamn i want to see that new Donkey Kong !
I didn't like 3D world, it just felt like a co-op fill in game as opposed to a true 3d platform flagship mario game like Super Mario Galaxy 1, 2 and Odyssey. Those were the best Mario titles ever made alongside Mario 64 for the obvious reasons.

SMB Wonder does look fun though and I want to play it, but I am not crazy about it. And yes, I 100% agree on a new donkey kong.

Michele

you.
In addition to a Donkey Kong game coming in some form, Pyoro has also seemingly confirmed that there might be showcase of the Princess Peach game. Probably the one that was mentioned in June direct.

In addition to a Donkey Kong game coming in some form, Pyoro has also seemingly confirmed that there might be showcase of the Princess Peach game. Probably the one that was mentioned in June direct.
Wouldn't that be the first time ever Princess Peach gets her own game? I don't remember having one at all.

It is that time of year again. Similar to last year, a rumored Nintendo Direct and Sony State of Play for this upcoming week, September 11 - 17!

There is another GAF thread here with possible leaks. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/spoiler-alert-rumors-about-nintendo-direct-from-pyoro.1660808/

Is there anything you want to see?

For Nintendo. Not revealing any leaks here from the other thread.
These seem like a lock: Mario RPG, Star Ocean 2 R, Hogwarts Legacy, a Gamecube game, and Mk8D DLC.

For Sony: Spiderman 2, and probably a better look at least one of their Live Service games. Maybe Twisted Metal?

I am cross posting This as a thought.

I remember an article recently where Sakurai stated he wished “Online wasn‘t in Smash Bros”.

-AND- I remembered Namco working on a rumored Nintendo HD project.

I am starting to read about the recent Amiibo mass restocking believe with the recent FamiBoards.

SO—- what if the GameCube game is not Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario, or F-zero. But it is actually SMASH BROS MELEE HD without Online.

am cross posting This as a thought.

I remember an article recently where Sakurai stated he wished “Online wasn‘t in Smash Bros”.

www.eurogamer.net

Sakurai: "I don't think online play and Smash Bros. are a very good fit"

Nintendo's blockbuster fighting game franchise Super Smash Bros. isn't a good fit for online play, its creator Masahiro…
www.eurogamer.net
www.eurogamer.net

I am starting to read about the recent Amiibo mass restocking believe with the recent FamiBoards.

SO—- what if the GameCube game is not Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario, or F-zero. But it is actually SMASH BROS MELEE HD without Online.

Markio128

Sony need to start building some hype momentum for next year because currently, Wolverine aside, it’s looking pretty bleak.

Jinzo Prime

am cross posting This as a thought.

www.eurogamer.net

Sakurai: "I don't think online play and Smash Bros. are a very good fit"

Nintendo's blockbuster fighting game franchise Super Smash Bros. isn't a good fit for online play, its creator Masahiro…
www.eurogamer.net
www.eurogamer.net

I don't believe Sakurai is unaware of the transformative effect that rollback netcode is having with fighting games. While SB is "a party game," he knows that it is played competitively and that rollback is becoming an expected feature of all fighting games, so I don't think online will be taken away, if anything I would expect it to be a bigger part of the experience.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Probably spidemran 2 with GaaS IP gameplay showcase

Last edited:
I don't believe Sakurai is unaware of the transformative effect that rollback netcode is having with fighting games. While SB is "a party game," he knows that it is played competitively and that rollback is becoming an expected feature of all fighting games, so I don't think online will be taken away, if anything I would expect it to be a bigger part of the experience.
I don’t disagree with you. I meant, Nintendo could release Smash Bros Melee as they prepare for whatever comes next for Smash. This would drive massive interest again in Smash and also allow the Melee crowd and the Smash Ultimate crowd to have the best of both worlds.

can't say i'm excited for either of them. i don't think Nintendo will announce anything big. i guess if we finally get a VII Rebirth date and a PS5 "Slim" reveal then I'll be convinced to go buy a PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's goooooo!

Sony has to have some big hitters ready to show. They've not announced any new games since wolverine right? Wasn't that like 2 years ago? Feels like it

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'd sure like to know what Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend, Santa Monica and Team Asobi are working on.

and no I'm not talking about factions or live service crap

Last edited:
Top Bottom