• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Direct coming next week

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Still play this on my Vita
Unfortunately my Vita is no longer in playable state, especially it analog sticks and the amount of games coming out I don’t want to buy another one and more importantly I like to play this on big screen with proper controller.

Then i'll welcome titty weapons with open arms.

KOSMOSd.gif

Yeah no thanks they would most likely Censor the sexiness

Michele

you.
I am not sure if it should be in a thread or in a separate one, considering that this following content are potentially spoilers. Pyoro is starting to publish rumors about the September Direct. Given he mentioned the first one dropping now, there will likely be more leaks ahead, so I figured I'd make a thread about it.
For now, he has mentioned that fans of a certain MATLAB function will like the upcoming Direct:

Could this be a hint at a F Zero release/announcement on Direct? We'll have to see. I'll update this thread as more leaks come inbound from him.
In case anyone is asking if he's reliable, so far his leaks has proven to be correct even though it's a day or two before the actual thing. He has posted a draft / traditional drawing of a rabbit. The next day, it was showcased as a skin in Sonic Superstars. He also previously gave a hint and was able to leak Super Mario Bros Wonder and the Princess Peach game in June direct. So I would say his leaks are all correct for now.

UPDATE 1:
- Pyoro has confirmed a Donkey Kong game coming in some form, unsure if classic or a new game, most likely a classic game though. There may also be more information about the Princess Peach game in the upcoming direct.
UPDATE 2: Remakes of a DS and a Wii game:

Last edited:
Yup, January at the earliest. Also don't expect any big games for Switch anymore, those will all go to Switch 2.
Well we know about Peach game and Dark Moon remake, but beyond that you may be right. Expecting some more remasters and GameCube rereleases and ports (Woolly World please) to tide us over til Switch 2.

Last edited:
I’m a little surprised Nintendo didn’t work with Shin'en Multimedia on F-Zero. Racing Neo was great on Wii U imo.
Back at that time I just think they didn't have the interest there internally yet. For some reason the lack of F-Zero has turned into this thing where I feel like even if a low-effort remaster of GX came out, it would sell 1 million+. Or maybe they do have an external partner working on something, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

There was always that rumor of some racing mash-up of Star Fox and FZero that Retro was working on for Wii U, and that was supposedly cancelled, and that's why they haven't released a new game since Tropical Freeze in February 2014.

Last edited:
No problems if is a teaser. Launch date should be close to the end of their fiscal year (march or something)
The mere existence of official confirmation from Nintendo that a new console is coming in 2024, even if a teaser, would dry up hardware sales, particularly for the segment of long-time non-OLED Switch owners that they want to upgrade to an OLED. As it is, Switch sales are expected to decline over 16% YoY, so they won't want to do anything about informing the public and talking about the successor until after the fiscal year is over in March 2024. They want to hit their numbers and hopefully outperform them.

Last edited:
I see Prime 4 being the final big Switch only game. After that it will be cross gen.
I think it's hitting 2024, probably second half, and it's cross-gen. But runs and looks significantly better on Switch 2/ Super Switch/ Switch Advance or whatever they call it. And the Switch is only getting it's own version because "we said we would and we have to, sorry it looks so bad". LOL

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent had a Nintendo system since SNES! But if there's any game I am itching to play are 2D Mario games. You never know, maybe I'll get a Switch 2.

Whenever I go to my brother's house and play their Switch with their kids (which I bought them 5 years ago!), they want to play random games of this and that. I just want to play Mario Deluxe!

Last edited:
I havent had a Nintendo system since SNES! But if there's any game I am itching to play are 2D Mario games. You never know, maybe I'll get a Switch 2.

Whenever I go to my brother's house and play their Switch with their kids (which I bought them 5 years ago!), they want to play random games of this and that. I just want to play Mario Deluxe!
You could gain access to the Switch ecosystem for a paltry $199 🤷‍♂️

SCB3

The mere existence of official confirmation from Nintendo that a new console is coming in 2024, even if a teaser, would dry up hardware sales, particularly for the segment of long-time non-OLED Switch owners that they want to upgrade to an OLED. As it is, Switch sales are expected to decline over 16% YoY, so they won't want to do anything about informing the public and talking about the successor until after the fiscal year is over in March 2024. They want to hit their numbers and hopefully outperform them.
This, especially as there is a Mario OLED that is coming with Wonder as well

not yet, Nintendo won't cannibalise their own game sales this close to the Holidays
Very silly excuse and is simply not factual. Nintendo Switch was officially first teased on October 20th, 2016.

" October 20, 2016

The Nintendo Switch was unveiled on October 20, 2016. Known in development by its codename NX, the concept of the Switch came about as Nintendo's reaction to several quarters of financial losses into 2014, attributed to poor sales of its previous console, the Wii U, and market competition from mobile games"

Then official presentation in January of 2017 and released in March 2017. Let go off thie "holiday sales excuse" it's not accurate.

It's possible we may get a small tease this month and if not then most likely October. But then again, things could be different this time around. The point is, holidays are not really related to tlehether its being teased this year or not.

Last edited:
Very silly excuse and is simply.not factual. Nintendo Switch was officially first teased on October 20th, 2016.

" October 20, 2016

The Nintendo Switch was unveiled on October 20, 2016. Known in development by its codename NX, the concept of the Switch came about as Nintendo's reaction to several quarters of financial losses into 2014, attributed to poor sales of its previous console, the Wii U, and market competition from mobile games"

Then official presentation in January of 2017 and released in March 2017. Let go off thie "holiday sales excuse" it's not accurate.
Wrong. That was because Wii U was already dead and there was no home console at the time. Sales were so bad they were relying on SNES and NES Minis to hit revenue targets. The situation with Switch is the complete opposite, so using the situation of the transition from Wii U to Switch is horrible precedent to try and guess or predict announcement timing for new hardware. Nintendo wants to sell millions of Switches between now and March 2024, so highly unlikely they'd publicly unveil or tease anything about a successor until spring at the earliest. They have a lot of inventory and even the new Mario OLED edition to sell us first, before they talk about what's next. Next-gen Nintendo is a 2024 story for them to tell.

Last edited:

Raven77

I think it's hitting 2024, probably second half, and it's cross-gen. But runs and looks significantly better on Switch 2/ Super Switch/ Switch Advance or whatever they call it. And the Switch is only getting it's own version because "we said we would and we have to, sorry it looks so bad". LOL

Bingo

In addition, the next Zelda will be more like Ocarina, more traditional in a sense. And it won't release till ~2026 OR they do the same with Mario, not like Mario 64. They will tease it though sometime in 2024 to help push Switch 2 sales.

The reason I come to this conclusion is that if the hardware is as powerful as the rumors suggest, the price tag is going to be a little higher than people expect. That means they're going to need to appeal to older gamers that have the income to purchase it. - my prediction

Last edited:

Tg89

Could just be DK64 on NSO.

Ideally, we get a 2D DK that goes back to the aesthetic of the original trilogy (2, specifically). Retro's stuff failed to hit the mark on the atmosphere of the original trilogy, which was one of it's biggest strengths. Bring back kremlings.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

not yet, Nintendo won't cannibalise their own game sales this close to the Holidays
Depends if they are planning to release it in H1 2024 or H2. If they go with say March/April release they would want about 5-6 months lead time.

Skifi28

Very silly excuse and is simply not factual. Nintendo Switch was officially first teased on October 20th, 2016.

" October 20, 2016

It's possible we may get a small tease this month and if not then most likely October. But then again, things could be different this time around. The point is, holidays are not really related to tlehether its being teased this year or not.
Did the Wii U have any sales for the announcement to cannibalise?

Woopah

Almost fully agree, but I think, Prime 4 is H2 next year.
Depends if they are planning to release it in H1 2024 or H2. If they go with say March/April release they would want about 5-6 months lead time.
I could see a Jan announcement for a May release

Could just be DK64 on NSO.

Ideally, we get a 2D DK that goes back to the aesthetic of the original trilogy (2, specifically). Retro's stuff failed to hit the mark on the atmosphere of the original trilogy, which was one of it's biggest strengths. Bring back kremlings.

I’d be happy with DK64 on NSO so I don’t have to emulate or dig out my Wii U to play it on VC.
*But* I’d love a new take on DK that isn’t the same formula we’ve seen since Returns. It’s time for something new.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

After the WiiU fuckup they better call it Switch 2.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Im asuming this direct will ber for the last batch of games before we get Switch 2, it's weird we are getting two directs so close to each other

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If a new F-Zero is announced I’ll eat this hamburger!!

I’ll eat it anyway since it’s my lunch but I will be very very excited!!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
I’m a little surprised Nintendo didn’t work with Shin'en Multimedia on F-Zero. Racing Neo was great on Wii U imo.
Even if they wanted to, I think Shin'en closed a door when they said they rather work on their own original IPs. Hope they didn't and we we get it, haven't played their racing game but people like it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That won't happen. Not unless the Switch 2 is somehow miraculously launching this year. (It isn't)
It's Nintendo, imagine if they actually do? I mean I don't believe it but it would hilarious.

Another possibility is that Nintendo actually releases the Pro this year to extend Switch life time sales for two years or so, so they can put more time into perfecting the next console release in 2025.

I know they said investors they are not releasing a new hardware this year, but can't they cover their assess by claiming they couldn't answer that question before because some things changed or because that was a sensibly strategical question and ask investors to trust them given their track record?

I mean, that's just wishful thinking but you never know with Nintendo.

Kataploom

Gold Member

" October 20, 2016

Nintendo we desperate to get rid of Wii U, they were in a delicate situation and didn't care about Wii U sales anymore.

Switch is different, they have their lowest sales expectations in years for Switch and that's still more that Wii U ever sold, they don't want to risk that.

If anything, that was the right call back then given their situation, everyone wanted to know about NX and passed by Nintendo entirely until then.

It's Nintendo, imagine if they actually do? I mean I don't believe it but it would hilarious.

Another possibility is that Nintendo actually releases the Pro this year to extend Switch life time sales for two years or so, so they can put more time into perfecting the next console release in 2025.

I know they said investors they are not releasing a new hardware this year, but can't they cover their assess by claiming they couldn't answer that question before because some things changed or because that was a sensibly strategical question and ask investors to trust them given their track record?

I mean, that's just wishful thinking but you never know with Nintendo.
Anything is possible I guess 🤷‍♂️. Assuming that all of these reports & rumors of a 2024 Switch successor are true, then there wouldn’t be a Switch Pro. And there not being a Switch Pro also tracks with the news from 2021 where some outlets including Digital Foundry talked about how they’d heard Nintendo had canceled a planned Switch Pro and were instead moving onto a full successor.

Last edited:

5-6 months is unnecessary in today’s world. We’re talking about a Nintendo that announced and released the 3D All-Stars Collection all within 2 weeks. With Directs, the news gets out there so quickly. They’ll plan it carefully of course, but I would think they’d do something with only 3 months or so of a gap between showing it off and releasing it. Which also helps keep current Switch sales going basically right to the bitter end.

Wrong. That was because Wii U was already dead and there was no home console at the time.

I think all these points have merit. However, Nintendo do have *some* responsibility to let people know there's a new Switch coming before its final holiday. People might be very upset to find out their new machine is obsolete in the new year.

Robb

Gold Member
F-Zero sounds like a much better fit as a launch game for their next system, those types of racers can look very sharp/impressive.

Top Bottom