• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo to keep making video games, Switch will get titles that help it sell

I really REALLY doubt that any of those titles will be released in 2017. Between E3 and fall, there is not enough time for marketing for such unannounced title. Everything they'll mention at E3 will probably be 2018 titles. Nintendo's fall 2017 lineup is kinda set too: Skyrim, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2.

Um... Remember that time they announced Mario 3D World at E3 and released it that fall? Or announced Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in January and released (will release) it in April? June to Fall/Holiday is plenty of time for announcement to release.

Will they need anymore software for 2017? Maybe not, but I'm guessing they will still put some there to help ensure the sales maintain strong this whole year.

mindatlarge

Excited for whatever they announce at E3. Hoping for something Samus related that actually looks good or perhaps a new Kid Icarus.

New thread title is quite epic. Well done.

joedick

lol. its funny. chill. do you need a safe space from thread titlee changes?

*shrug* I guess I thought message boards were a place to express an opinion.

I get that I'm in the minority here, and ultimately it really makes no difference to me. But whenever I see people use their power to change somebody's message it irks me a bit, even if it's as insignificant as stealth thread title changes! But hey, if the people dig it then it's all good regardless of what I think!

Dekuboy

Neo Member
He actually got the charging rate for the Switch wrong, but, yes, otherwise was fairly on the ball.

Didn't he also mention Metroid as being in development by somebody that nobody would guess?

Tbh, I didn´t know most of the things he said. But he said, online charging free at first then it costs, also megami and RE7 port which capcom said they want to do it.

While other leakers....well we know how they "debunked" the 4chan rumor with the launch games.

And no he just said we will get another metroid game for the switch. And my guts say it´s from From Software.

Arkam

Here is hoping somewhere in that plan is a tactical shooter. Nintendo doesnt need to make it as it is outside of their wheel house so I would be fine with them just funding a solid indie. There has been a sever lack of good FPS games on their handhelds since Acti killed off them CoD games from NSpace.

Banned
Lol that thread title change.

I think Kimishima's quote meant more along the lines of "there are still unannounced games that will launch this fiscal year to help boost sales and meet our sales expectations" because obviously the switch is gonna get more games lol.

RPGCrazied

Will Metroid finally get a game its due? Knowing Nintendo it will just be Federation Force 2. Like we want that, I sure don't.

Dunkley

Man at first I wasn't excited about these news but the thread title hooked me right in.

I'm happy that Nintendo will possibly keep making video games. I would be very unhappy if Nintendo would possibly stop making video games.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't even play Pokemon but a mainline Pokemon game, with a vast open world like Breath of the World, and a new Pokemon battle system, would instantly sell me on a Switch...

Nobody has ever reported an actual leak/rumor regarding Retro as far as I know. New IP is a fairly safe bet to make (since it's one or the other after all) but I wouldn't put too much stock into Retro rumors in general.
EvB said Retro is doing something Donkey Kong related

Instro

I really REALLY doubt that any of those titles will be released in 2017. Between E3 and fall, there is not enough time for marketing for such unannounced title. Everything they'll mention at E3 will probably be 2018 titles. Nintendo's fall 2017 lineup is kinda set too: Skyrim, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2.

I would probably agree with you, but this is the same company that publicly revealed the Switch just months before it's actual release. At this point they have a history of being all over the place when it comes announcing things that are either close to release or far from it.

Super Mario 3D World was revealed at E3 2013 and released in November 2013.

Dunkley

Well, this is pretty obvious. It would be funny if the quote was:

"We have no other games in development for the Switch, this is it. Bye."

Following the successful releases of The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Nintendo Switch, we here at Nintendo are proud to announce

strategy-that-s-all-folks-rhizome-32Ti4N-clipart.jpg

My hope is that Nintendo are committed to making smaller budget titles for $20 or less on the eshop. I'd definitely be down for a short and sweet 2D Mario before Odyssey at $20, or more things cute and original like Snipperclippers.

Switch can run anything a developer wants to port to it, obviously with downgrades though not likely all that severe. I'd say the online situation is probably a bigger concern regarding Battlefront 2/CoD than the actual hardware power.

Yeah, when I said didn't have the muscle I more or less was thinking( but didn't say) a version on par technically with the other consoles( and obviously PC). I'm still hoping we'll see a unique Rogue Squadron regardless.

maxcriden

I don't think it's ever been officially mentioned anywhere, but every insider that has spoken about what Retro has been up to has seemingly all agreed on whatever it is being something that isn't Metroid or it's fucking Donkey Kong again.

From april 2016, give it whatever credit you give Emily:

Knowing how development goes it can be 2017 or 2018. There have been other hints in the past few years, but this was one of the most direct ones.

Thank you both kindly. I do give Emily a great deal of credit.

I wonder then if Retro isn't working on two projects, if that insider here on GAF who stated they're working on DK (port, new project?) is correct.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
On one hand AC Switch together with a AC mobile could have some nice synergy effects. I still think that AC is a next FY title though - especially if the Pokemon/Smash rumors are true...cant see Nintendo dropping so many of their big IPs at once.

Then again they will be able to use the updated WiiU engine/assets and its been 5 years since the last main/3DS title.

...but man as a 3rdParty...i dont know. e3 will be interesting - there probably will be some 3rdParty games that Nintendo wants to perform well this season ...so AC, Retro game, Smash Bros., Pokemon Stars, Zelda DLC, Mario Odysse, FE Warriorsy etc. would be a bit much.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thread title is masterful. I first read the OP and thought "this is news...?" and moved on. But then I saw the title change and... bravo.

18-Volt

Um... Remember that time they announced Mario 3D World at E3 and released it that fall? Or announced Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in January and released (will release) it in April? June to Fall/Holiday is plenty of time for announcement to release.

Will they need anymore software for 2017? Maybe not, but I'm guessing they will still put some there to help ensure the sales maintain strong this whole year.

Super Mario 3D World was revealed at E3 2013 and released in November 2013.

Yeah, Mario should be exception because it's Mario, it does not need big publicity, its name sells the game. Switch has already a Mario game coming this year.

Only possible title could launch before the year ends is Retro's new game, they've been working on it for a quite a time now, should have been ready by now. If it's a brand new IP, six months may not be enough to generate hype around it. But if it's Donkey Kong, then they could release it even a week after the E3.

Who is EvB?

This guy who has apparently gotten stuff right before:

As I said, Retro are definitely working on something Donkey Kong related. It may be a while off yet though.

I still don't think anyone knows what Retro is up to but all of these Retro rumors are safe guesses. Not DK or Metroid, new IP, or DK essentially covers the majority of games they could be making.

I meant that I don't believe anyone has gotten a Retro rumor accurate so far. Many people make claims, but I don't think any have been shown to be accurate.

Retro will make a new DKC
or
Retro will make a new Metroid
or
Retro will make a game that is neither.

you can count on that.

#insider

IGN leaked DKCR just before E3 that year iirc

Ah did they? Interesting. Retro is typically fairly tight-lipped though, as was Nintendo as a whole up until last year.

Retro will make a new DKC
or
Retro will make a new Metroid
or
Retro will make a game that is neither.

you can count on that.

#insider

That's assuming the rumor in the OP is true. What if Retro has actually turned into a BBQ studio rather than a games studio?

;)

*shrug* I guess I thought message boards were a place to express an opinion.

I get that I'm in the minority here, and ultimately it really makes no difference to me. But whenever I see people use their power to change somebody's message it irks me a bit, even if it's as insignificant as stealth thread title changes! But hey, if the people dig it then it's all good regardless of what I think!
Careful, you're pretty much asking for a mod to use their power and stealth edit your tag.

From april 2016, give it whatever credit you give Emily:
3055487-8451702324-UHAGx.png

Knowing how development goes it can be 2017 or 2018. There have been other hints in the past few years, but this was one of the most direct ones.

This is actually what I've been expecting from Retro since Tropical Freeze. I can almost see Level 5 taking over either the next Metroid or DKC.

E-phonk

Banned
This guy who has apparently gotten stuff right before:

I still don't think anyone knows what Retro is up to but all of these Retro rumors are safe guesses. Not DK or Metroid, new IP, or DK essentially covers the majority of games they could be making.

While it might not be a new IP, a (3D platform?) donkey kong game might also be possible, and fit both rumours as it technically isn't DKC.

Cartho

To be fair to the OP, the bit about "that will boost switch itself's sales" is actually significant. These clearly aren't small, indie projects. I think he MUST be talking about some major hitters here. When people talk about Nintendo System sellers I think Pokemon, I think Smash, I think Metroid.

I reckon this is the sort of ballpark we're talking about. Still fairly sure Stars will come to Switch this year.

Also:
Between E3 and fall, there is not enough time for marketing for such unannounced title.

This isn't true if we're talking about Pokemon or Smash. They could announce tonight that they were releasing next week and they'd sell shit loads of copies.

What an amazing title. 10/10.

I'm probably going to go into E3 with tempered expectations, but I know Nintendo wants to knock it out of the park. I still want to be wowed. D;

Top Bottom