• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: No Mother 3 localization happening anymore, Rhythm Heaven franchise dead

Tbh I find the use of the term 'gypsy' more problematic than them being in drag. Also it's good to point out that both drag and camp exist independently from trans issues. Drag and camp are very very important to gay people I don't want to see them be erased. I haven't played Mother 3 so I'm assuming that the context is way more problematic than them just being dragged up, though.

Edit: But also, they should just edit the game, like they did for that Fire Emblem game.

Tbh I find the use of the term 'gypsy' more problematic than them being in drag. Also it's good to point out that both drag and camp exist independently from trans issues. Drag and camp are very very important to gay people I don't want to see them be erased. I haven't played Mother 3 so I'm assuming that the context is way more problematic than them just being dragged up, though.

Edit: But also, they should just edit the game, like they did for that Fire Emblem game.

The term isn't Gypsy. It is Magypsy. They're magical guardians. Sort of like fairies I guess.

FSLink

Banned
I had meant in a localization sense. Perhaps once work on Mother 3 shut down, those translators were sent to work on localization work for Samus Returns, since that's clearly the title coming sooner, to make sure it gets out the door as quick as possible.

...if they supposedly knew they weren't gonna localize Mother 3 in 2015, why would they be moved to Samus Returns specifically, a game being released in 2017 that likely doesn't even have that much text anyway?

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates had actual pedophilia and no one seemed to care too much. I don't see how the magypsies are a big deal compared to that.

Chindogg

Lol exactly.

The issue being that 'Gypsy' is an actual ethnic group. Not some sort of fairytale character, not a lifestyle, not a subculture. A race.

Actually it's a subculture. All normadic peoples are considered as Gypsies. Not every Gypsy is Romani. Irish Travelers are also Gyspies for example.

It's almost like they have the technology to re-write characters and change names.

Maybe one day we'll get there.

Which they did in Mother 2 with the Happy Happyism cult.

Quonny

It's almost like they have the technology to re-write characters and change names.

Maybe one day we'll get there.

Skronk

Banned
This reads exactly like a made up rumor to drum up clicks.

Exactly what I was thinking. You can tell by how specific it gets into the whole Magypsie thing. It's also just trying to rile people up politically which looks like it worked according to some posts here.

This nonsense reads like fanfiction, the guy who wrote this imaginative scenario should have kept it low key.

If the freaking president of the whole company wanted one of the branches to localize a game, they would have done it years and years ago. What bullcrap is this?

And why end a series that sells better than everything Monolith Soft releases??

This reads like someone at Nintendo trying to sniff out leakers.

The more I think about this the more I feel like this is planted, like nintendo is trying to recreate how everyone felt about final fantasy 7 in the shittiest way possible. Although I don't know what would make me lose more respect for all involved, if it was then Destructoid purposely posted a fake article and Nintendo look like massive dicks. If it isn't planted then this is a poor article idea, rumor posts are a waste of space because I'll never fully know.

IrishNinja

i mean, as a yakuza/other japanese series fan, i get the concerns with transphobic stuff & would absolutely be okay with them switching up the Magypsies the way they did for the non-licensed music stuff. i'd celebrate almost any form of mother 3 we can get.

really am gonna stop holding out for an official release at some point & finally replay this repro cart of tomato's translation on my GC GBA player & do it right this time

In a couple of years Nintendo will release a GBA classic edition... with Mother 3 included.

oh yeah, yeah this i can totally see

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jokes on them. The team in Japan would be considered the Rhythm Tengoku team. If you can't even weeb your facts right how am I meant to believe you?

I don't remember any trans people in Mother 3. Can anyone jog my memory.

I feel like if they had the drive to do it they could just change those parts. Censorship has censored actual nonsensical things before so I don't see why censoring something that is actually insensitive will be an issue.

I don't remember any trans people in Mother 3. Can anyone jog my memory.

I feel like if they had the drive to do it they could just change those parts. Censorship has censored actual nonsensical things before so I don't see why censoring something that is actually insensitive will be an issue.

latest

ghibli99

Bummer... played the fan translation, have a mint GBA import copy, and have a ton of Fangamer M3 gear. I guess I'm good.

Sucks about RH... Megamix on 3DS is one of the best rhythm games I've ever played.

Davey Cakes

It's been alnost a decade since I played M3, but I thought the Magypsies were non-binary/genderqueer rather than trans?
I think it matters less what they actually are and more how they'll be perceived.

It's such a silly thing. Anyone who's played the Fan Translation can tell you that the Magypsies are harmless.

I'm not sure how much stock I put into these Mother 3 rumors. I remember when people were arguing about Earthbound's release, saying it'd never happen because of some the dialogue, references, and music. When that game came out on Wii U it was completely unchanged from the original release, at least in NA.

People are just looking for reasons that M3 won't be localized. Obviously they'd pick the only aspect that could be even remotely controversial.

Makonero

It's been alnost a decade since I played M3, but I thought the Magypsies were non-binary/genderqueer rather than trans?

They are. There's a...suggestive moment with one of them and Lucas that would certainly get localized out. But their genderbinariness isn't an issue (and in fact, it would be one if they took it out and made the Magypsies more straightforward) and shouldn't be a reason to not localize the game. The name Magypsy, btw, can easily be changed in localization.

I'm not gonna give up hope. Even Earthbound Zero made it here. They know there's a fanbase. Gotta keep the faith.

Actually it's a subculture. All normadic peoples are considered as Gypsies. Not every Gypsy is Romani. Irish Travelers are also Gyspies for example.

This is wrong, and incredibly offensive. Using 'gypsy' to refer to any nomadic culture is like saying 'oriental' to refer to Asian people- it's archaic, reductive and offensive. Look at the Irish Travellers wiki page, for example- in the first sentence it says that 'gypsy' is a pejorative term in that context.

'Gypsy' is literally derived from 'Egyptian', which is how English people in the Middle Ages perceived Romani people (due to their skin colour). Even for Romani people, the term 'gypsy' is beginning to be thought of as derogatory,

Yoshio Sakamoto debunked the Rhythm Heaven rumor.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakam...support-series-future-rhythm-heaven-not-dead/

On rumors that Rhythm Heaven is dead…

Yoshio Sakamoto: We generally don’t comment on those kind of rumours, but I don’t remember us ever saying it was over. Generally speaking, if there’s an oppurtunity, a motivation, a need, we consider all opportunities and leave the door open. That’s all I can say.

Yoshio Sakamoto: No, it’s not dead.

Top Bottom